John "Hot Rod" Williams RIP

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Tweet from Michael Cage....
Please pray for former teammate and NBA legend John "Hot Rod" Williams battling cancer and on life support.

JerseyWave
Riptide

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I do not think the man is in the Tulane Hall of Fame... what a damn shame....and this needs to be fixed, rapidly, like NOW.....my prayers for you Hot Rod
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I don't think it is appropriate to go into any discussion of the scandals at this time. I will say a prayer for Hot Rod.

I watched almost every game he played. I have to say that he put the Ned Fowler Green Wave basketball team on his back, and, for four years, we were no better than how well Hot Rod played. Those were fun times in Fogleman, for sure. It is not surprising to see he gave back to his community in his life after his playing days.

Thank you Hot Rod. May God bless you for all that you've contributed.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Jonathan
Riptide

I will never forgive him for taking the cash in the shoe box from our head coach. A major embarrassment to the university and shut the program down.Also the team fixing a game for the bookies. Terrible and disgusting.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Sorry to hear this. Will most certainly be praying for him.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Jaxwave
Swell

As a Tulane grad and prostate cancer survivor, this particularly hits home. There are very aggressive and less aggressive forms of prostate cancer and sounds like he got the bad one. I was diagnosed at 60 and the older the better as your metabolism is slower and the cancer spreads slower. Just ashamed he wasn't diagnosed earlier because the treatments have a very high rate of success if that is the case. My dad was diagnosed at 74 and lived to 89 after they told him he had 5 months to live, so let's continue to pray.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Jonathan wrote:I will never forgive him for taking the cash in the shoe box from our head coach. A major embarrassment to the university and shut the program down.Also the team fixing a game for the bookies. Terrible and disgusting.
If I recall correctly Hot Rods mobile home in Sorrento burned to the ground and was not insured... thus the 10 g's from Ned...
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I last saw Hot Rod court side at a Hornets game about five years ago and he looked great he was out of basketball and he had nothing but good things to say about Tulane. Sad news to hear.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
wave97
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
Jonathan wrote:I will never forgive him for taking the cash in the shoe box from our head coach. A major embarrassment to the university and shut the program down.Also the team fixing a game for the bookies. Terrible and disgusting.
If I recall correctly Hot Rods mobile home in Sorrento burned to the ground and was not insured... thus the 10 g's from Ned...
Hot Rod paid a very dear price for his involvement with the shoe box & point shaving. He spent two years of his professional career playing for peanuts in the USBL (Rhode Island Gulls, in a high school gym & the Staten Island Stallions).
ajcalhoun
Swell

Deleted out of respect for the passed.
Last edited by ajcalhoun on Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
God Bless Everyone!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

He has passed away.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
wave97
Swell

Tulane got off light.
dpm wave
Swell

R.I.P.

I started Tulane in 1983. Watching Tulane basketball and Hot Rod was a highlight of my college days.
The scandal was a black eye but I don't begrudge him or Ned one bit for their actions.
I did at the time and for years afterward. Once the program was re-instated, my hard feelings softened and eventually faded.

R.I.P.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote:He has passed away.
Tulane...do the right thing...Honor this man with an immediate induction into the Hall of Fame... everyone makes mistakes, please do not compound this by not doing the right thing... May Hot Rod RIP as a member of the Tulane Hall of Fame, he is already, and has been in my former Tulane Players Hall of Fame for Years
wave97
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
winwave wrote:He has passed away.
Tulane...do the right thing...Honor this man with an immediate induction into the Hall of Fame... everyone makes mistakes, please do not compound this by not doing the right thing... May Hot Rod RIP as a member of the Tulane Hall of Fame, he is already, and has been in my former Tulane Players Hall of Fame for Years
+1
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Turns out the Advocate was wrong. He is critically ill but still alive.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

His agent just broke the bad news. Hot Rod has passed away.
https://twitter.com/WindhorstESPN?ref_s ... r%5Eauthor
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave
Top of the WAVE

Very sad news. RIP Hot Rod!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

During the camp, Williams made a point to express his desire for Tulane to have his jersey retired.

''The only thing I have against Tulane,'' Williams said in July, ''if my jersey is not hanging on a banner, no jersey should be hanging here. I'm one of the best athletes that ever stepped on this campus and my jersey should have been retired.''

Triche said Williams' number should be retired at Tulane and he should be installed into the Tulane Hall of Fame.

''His numbers still appear in the team's media guide and record book,'' Triche said. ''If that's the case, they should have had him there a long time ago. It's a shame that he's not going to be around to see that.''
Tulane Class of 1981
MicMan
Swell

Fond memories of sportswriting class with Hot Rod, saw most of his home game. As he went, so went the Wave.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

An opening season basketball tournament has been started in his honor.
John “Hot Rod” Williams/Gold Dome Classic at Dutchtown High

Woodlawn vs. Fontainebleau, 5 p.m.
East Ascension vs. Zachary, 6:30 p.m.
St. Amant vs. Hammond, 8 p.m.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:An opening season basketball tournament has been started in his honor.
John “Hot Rod” Williams/Gold Dome Classic at Dutchtown High

Woodlawn vs. Fontainebleau, 5 p.m.
East Ascension vs. Zachary, 6:30 p.m.
St. Amant vs. Hammond, 8 p.m.
Great news...but to make it unique to "Hot Rod"...the winning team's trophy should be a 'bicycle" !!!!