Jim Schlossnagle

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Former Tulane assistant coach Jim Schlossnagle, now the TCU coach, coached Alex Bregman for Team USA in the summer of 2013 and compares him to Boston Red Sox second baseman and former American League MVP Dustin Pedroia, a player he nearly convinced to come play for the Green Wave.

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2015/ ... ryheadline

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Coach Schloss and TCU advances to its 3rd CWS with a 5-4 win over Texas A&M in 16 innings last night. They play LSU on Sat.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

About getting harassed by LSU fans while at Tulane
http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2015/ ... cart_river
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I consider myself a sports fan. I follow more sports more closely than anyone else I know. Yet I cannot tell you, outside of TCU and LSU who the other teams are that made the college world series. I'm sorry, but as much as I want to see Tulane Baseball succeed, it just isn't a widely followed sport. Women's basketball is much more important for the face of the University. I'm far from convinced that NCAA baseball is the #4 NCAA sport.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:I consider myself a sports fan. I follow more sports more closely than anyone else I know. Yet I cannot tell you, outside of TCU and LSU who the other teams are that made the college world series. I'm sorry, but as much as I want to see Tulane Baseball succeed, it just isn't a widely followed sport. Women's basketball is much more important for the face of the University. I'm far from convinced that NCAA baseball is the #4 NCAA sport.
It's bigger down here in the South. 4 SEC schools, 1 Texas and Miami. So 6 of 8 from the South. I've been watching most of the games.
Tulane Class of 1981
Jonathan
Riptide

One of best baseball coaches and recruiters in the nation. I wish Jones would have retired early and Tulane hired him. But Coach David Pierce is equal to him in all respects.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Jonathan
Riptide

Thanks for posting. Great article.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
DfromCT wrote:I consider myself a sports fan. I follow more sports more closely than anyone else I know. Yet I cannot tell you, outside of TCU and LSU who the other teams are that made the college world series. I'm sorry, but as much as I want to see Tulane Baseball succeed, it just isn't a widely followed sport. Women's basketball is much more important for the face of the University. I'm far from convinced that NCAA baseball is the #4 NCAA sport.
It's bigger down here in the South. 4 SEC schools, 1 Texas and Miami. So 6 of 8 from the South. I've been watching most of the games.
I don't doubt for a second that college baseball is bigger in the South than the rest of the country. But my point is this: nationally, college baseball is distant to Football and both men's and women's basketball. I asked a few folks I know at the golf course today that I consider big sports fans if they knew who was in the College World Series. I got four responses of "don't know, don't care" and one that said "I bet LSU is in it, they are every year." Turns out his daughter is/was on the LSU golf team. I'm not sure NCAA baseball is ahead of NCAA Lax or Hockey NATIONALLY. The fact that Tulane emphasizes baseball shows how clueless our leadership has been (and still is.)
ajcalhoun
Swell

D, you can scream that until you are blue in the face but the fact is that there are a lot of people in New Orleans who like college baseball and support it. The reason money was spent on Turchin before anything else is because there were Tulane fans willing to put up the money for it before anything else. It is a sport where Tulane men have been consistently competitive for decades.

Also, and I mean no disrespect, outside of Connecticut most men really don't give a rat's ass about women's hoops, or women's sports in general. I would trade ten women's basketball titles for one baseball title, probably fifty for one football.
God Bless Everyone!
Wave755
Tsunami

ajcalhoun wrote:D, you can scream that until you are blue in the face but the fact is that there are a lot of people in New Orleans who like college baseball and support it. The reason money was spent on Turchin before anything else is because there were Tulane fans willing to put up the money for it before anything else. It is a sport where Tulane men have been consistently competitive for decades.

Also, and I mean no disrespect, outside of Connecticut most men really don't give a rat's ass about women's hoops, or women's sports in general. I would trade ten women's basketball titles for one baseball title, probably fifty for one football.
Last year the CWS Championship game between Vandy and UVA drew an 18 to 49 Nielsen rating of about 800,000. I like college baseball and go to about 4 or 5 Turchin games a year; that being said, college baseball is a minor sport (Cowen's twisted priorities shown for 16 years of complete neglect of MBB :x).
RobertM320
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
I don't doubt for a second that college baseball is bigger in the South than the rest of the country. But my point is this: nationally, college baseball is distant to Football and both men's and women's basketball. I asked a few folks I know at the golf course today that I consider big sports fans if they knew who was in the College World Series. I got four responses of "don't know, don't care" and one that said "I bet LSU is in it, they are every year." Turns out his daughter is/was on the LSU golf team. I'm not sure NCAA baseball is ahead of NCAA Lax or Hockey NATIONALLY. The fact that Tulane emphasizes baseball shows how clueless our leadership has been (and still is.)
DfromCT, you need to look at it from the other side. You live in the NE. The truth is, no one down here gives a rat's ass about Lax or Hockey. And I'd bet that goes for The SW and the West Coast and even the Midwest. How much Lacrosse do you think is played in Montana, or Oklahoma? And I'm sure they're just knocking down the doors to build new ice rinks in Texas because of the demand for Hockey. Its pretty simple. Look at how the Professional Sports are, and the interest for the most part would be comparable for College Sports. Football, then Basketball, then Baseball.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Jonathan
Riptide

Coach Schloss gave LSU A&M a serious whipping today.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
DfromCT, you need to look at it from the other side. You live in the NE. The truth is, no one down here gives a rat's ass about Lax or Hockey. And I'd bet that goes for The SW and the West Coast and even the Midwest. How much Lacrosse do you think is played in Montana, or Oklahoma? And I'm sure they're just knocking down the doors to build new ice rinks in Texas because of the demand for Hockey. Its pretty simple. Look at how the Professional Sports are, and the interest for the most part would be comparable for College Sports. Football, then Basketball, then Baseball.
Which of the three (NCAA) sports is on ESPN vs. WatchESPN for their championships these days? Baseball used to have the entire CWS on ESPN. Those days are gone.

And oh, by the way, the Texas Amateur Hockey Association became the largest affiliate of USA Hockey's Rocky Mountain Region, replacing Colorado. USA Hockey player registration has grown by 250% in the last twenty years, at a time when the population of that age segment has contracted. Yes, I know that older folks in the deep South don't give a rats ass about Hockey and Lacross, but the youth are increasingly turning away from baseball. It's too slow to keep their interest.
RobertM320
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Which of the three (NCAA) sports is on ESPN vs. WatchESPN for their championships these days? Baseball used to have the entire CWS on ESPN. Those days are gone.

And oh, by the way, the Texas Amateur Hockey Association became the largest affiliate of USA Hockey's Rocky Mountain Region, replacing Colorado. USA Hockey player registration has grown by 250% in the last twenty years, at a time when the population of that age segment has contracted. Yes, I know that older folks in the deep South don't give a rats ass about Hockey and Lacross, but the youth are increasingly turning away from baseball. It's too slow to keep their interest.
Not disagreeing with that. But if a million kids in the SE play baseball, and it contracts 15%, you still have 850K playing baseball. Hockey shows a 250% increase, but if you start with only 20,000 kids, that still only jumps to 70K, which pales in comparison. I'm not saying these numbers are accurate, just the concept.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Youth may be turning away from baseball for now, but parents are going to eventually turn them away from Hockey, as well as football, because they're too dangerous. The more we see cases like Steve Gleason and Dave Duerson, and NFL players retiring in their prime due to the dangers, the fewer kids will play major contact sports.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane Class of 1981
chain gang x man
Swell

Now that TCU has been eliminated from the CWS Schlossnagle has signed his extension and is one of the highest paid baseball coaches in the country
TURVS71
Swell

If TCU can keep Schlossnagel, then Tulane should be able to keep Pierce.....its up to Tulane!
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

TURVS71 wrote:If TCU can keep Schlossnagel, then Tulane should be able to keep Pierce.....its up to Tulane!
Schloss has made three straight CWS, Pierce isn't anywhere close to him. I just assume pay one of the other qualified candidates a fraction of what Schloss is paid.
TURVS71
Swell

I hear you. Then it shouldn't take as much money to keep Pierce here. His only reason for going to Texas would be because it's his home state. You can win a CWS at Tulane just as easily as any other college. Just my opinion.
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

TURVS71 wrote:I hear you. Then it shouldn't take as much money to keep Pierce here. His only reason for going to Texas would be because it's his home state. You can win a CWS at Tulane just as easily as any other college. Just my opinion.
Maybe, but UT will pay huge money and it is historically a top5 job. That being said the pressure to win will be much higher.

Personally, I am really over this because there are some great replacement candidates, my only concern is that need an answer either way before someone comes in and snatches a Andy or Riser.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Congrats to Jim.
First SEC conference win. Texas A&M beats a bad LSU team in BR 6-4. One down two to go.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Congrats to Jim.
2nd SEC conference win. Texas A&M beats LSU in BR 11-7. 2 down one to go for the sweep.
Tulane Class of 1981