Bye Bye Payton Henson

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
sader24 wrote:As someone who has been around alot of basketball in my life, generally speaking you run offensively what your talent dictates. If you don't have guys that consistently get to the rim and create their own shots of course you are going to have to run the type of stuff Conroy ran. If you have better talent naturally you'll play faster and more open with more offensive freedom.
This.
Except that he's had the talent before and didn't do it. That led to Tarrant,Davis and others leaving. So yes we all know what should happen. However we have all seen many coaches here who say what people want to hear but then don't follow through.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Robert1969 wrote:All this sturm und drang over Peyton Henson? Seriously? We have one od the best recruiting/transfer classes that Tulane has ever had in basketball, and we are whinging over losing a guy who wouldn't bench warm for most programs. Peyton Henson wants more playing time? What did he do this year that would make anyone think he was worthy of more playing time? Look at what we have coming in and answer this question, "where does Peyton Henson fit in with these guys?"

I wish Peyton Henson luck. But I am hardly upset about his departure.
All the handwringing is more over all of the players leaving including both PG's. As for Henson he had better stats than Jarreau. Just sayin'. We all hope this works out but we won't know till they hit the court.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
sader24 wrote:As someone who has been around alot of basketball in my life, generally speaking you run offensively what your talent dictates. If you don't have guys that consistently get to the rim and create their own shots of course you are going to have to run the type of stuff Conroy ran. If you have better talent naturally you'll play faster and more open with more offensive freedom.
This.
Except that he's had the talent before and didn't do it. That led to Tarrant,Davis and others leaving. So yes we all know what should happen. However we have all seen many coaches here who say what people want to hear but then don't follow through.
No. That's not why they left. Tarrant was an All CUSA freshman in that offense and Davis left for a higher profile program after graduating from Tulane. Both led Tulane in scoring in that offense. Oh yea we beat the team that Tarrant went to in that offense.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Robert1969
Riptide

winwave wrote:
Robert1969 wrote:All this sturm und drang over Peyton Henson? Seriously? We have one od the best recruiting/transfer classes that Tulane has ever had in basketball, and we are whinging over losing a guy who wouldn't bench warm for most programs. Peyton Henson wants more playing time? What did he do this year that would make anyone think he was worthy of more playing time? Look at what we have coming in and answer this question, "where does Peyton Henson fit in with these guys?"

All the handwringing is more over all of the players leaving including both PG's. As for Henson he had better stats than Jarreau. Just sayin'. We all hope this works out but we won't know till they hit the court.
Henson's stats were almost exclusively built against lesser opposition. When it came to conference time he all but disappeared. Jarreau gives us real size and athleticism in the middle, something we almost never have.

Does the NCAA keep traxk of +/- like the NBA. I'd like to see those stats on both Henson and Jarreau.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Robert1969 wrote:What we've got coming in:

Melvin Frazier
Blake Paul
Kain Harris
Von Julien
Maxwell Starwood
Taron Oliver
Kipper Nichols

Transfers
Malik Morgan
Jenard Jarreau

Keeping:

Louis Dabney
Dylan Osetkowski
Cameron Reynolds
Kajon Mack

Where does Peyton Henson fit on this roster? And if you think he does, how the heck is he improving his playing time?
The roster above lacks experience and a face-up power forward, both of which Henson would bring. This is why the staff did not want him to leave. Henson would have been a contributor for the next two seasons.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

While I agree generally, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. Is it that you *should* run offensively what your talent dictates and Conroy has refused to do that so far? Or that a new infusion of talent will allow Conroy to unveil some new coaching strategy that he's been hiding for 6 years?

Coaches can run different offenses, but they generally aren't going switch philosophies.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Robert1969 wrote:
winwave wrote:

Henson's stats were almost exclusively built against lesser opposition. When it came to conference time he all but disappeared. Jarreau gives us real size and athleticism in the middle, something we almost never have.

Does the NCAA keep traxk of +/- like the NBA. I'd like to see those stats on both Henson and Jarreau.
Last season Henson had a higher TS%, a higher total rebound rate and more than double the Win Shares than Jarreau. The "Box Plus/Minus" lists Jarreau at -0.1 and Henson at -0.5 which means they are both slightly worse than average players. I've never seen Jarreau play so I'm making no judgment but the advanced metrics show that Henson -> Jarreau is at least a slight downgrade.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

jonathanjoseph wrote:
Robert1969 wrote:
winwave wrote:

Last season Henson had a higher TS%, a higher total rebound rate and more than double the Win Shares than Jarreau. The "Box Plus/Minus" lists Jarreau at -0.1 and Henson at -0.5 which means they are both slightly worse than average players. I've never seen Jarreau play so I'm making no judgment but the advanced metrics show that Henson -> Jarreau is at least a slight downgrade.
So I guess Henson should end up at Ok St. :roll:
6 pages on a guy that left Tulane who sat the bench on team that won 15 games and had a losing record. Wow.
Tulane Class of 1981
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
Robert1969 wrote:
winwave wrote:

6 pages on a guy that left Tulane who sat the bench on team that won 15 games and had a losing record. Wow.
Yes that's exactly what I said. Henson will end up at Ok St. :roll:
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Robert1969 wrote:
winwave wrote:

His stats were pretty much static. On paper Jarreau looks like he will give us that. On the court he hasn't yet.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
Robert1969 wrote:
winwave wrote:

You and yours have contributed to that.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
Robert1969 wrote:
winwave wrote:

You and yours have contributed to that.
+1 lol
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Lot better topic is our win over a top 50 team.
DrBox
Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote:
The roster above lacks experience and a face-up power forward, both of which Henson would bring.
jonathanjoseph wrote: Last season Henson had a higher TS%, a higher total rebound rate and more than double the Win Shares than Jarreau. The "Box Plus/Minus" lists Jarreau at -0.1 and Henson at -0.5 which means they are both slightly worse than average players. I've never seen Jarreau play so I'm making no judgment but the advanced metrics show that Henson -> Jarreau is at least a slight downgrade.
Apparently you haven't seen Henson play either.

Henson would have played a lot this year and will probably have a nice career at a mid major. I wish him the best.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DrBox wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
The roster above lacks experience and a face-up power forward, both of which Henson would bring.
jonathanjoseph wrote: Last season Henson had a higher TS%, a higher total rebound rate and more than double the Win Shares than Jarreau. The "Box Plus/Minus" lists Jarreau at -0.1 and Henson at -0.5 which means they are both slightly worse than average players. I've never seen Jarreau play so I'm making no judgment but the advanced metrics show that Henson -> Jarreau is at least a slight downgrade.

Henson would have played a lot this year and will probably have a nice career at a mid major. I wish him the best.
If Jarreau was 6'10'' 240lbs with a face up game he'd be declaring for the NBA draft not transferring to Tulane.

Yes Henson will have a nice career, that's all I've noted or implied. I'm more pushing back against those who believe that the Tulane program can afford to lose productive players with hard to find skill sets.
Jonathan
Riptide

Great to get rid of this type of player and replace with three and four star athletes.
puffy
Surge

jonathanjoseph wrote:
DrBox wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

If Jarreau was 6'10'' 240lbs with a face up game he'd be declaring for the NBA draft not transferring to Tulane.

Yes Henson will have a nice career, that's all I've noted or implied. I'm more pushing back against those who believe that the Tulane program can afford to lose productive players with hard to find skill sets.
If "productive" means shooting low 30's overall and 13% from 3, then I guess Tulane can't afford to lose anyone.

This isn't 1987 anymore. The basketball landscape is filled with "power forwards" who do nothing but face the basket. If Tulane doesn't have one next year, they'll get one the year after. In the meantime, they'll throw out some rotations early on and figure out which combos work the best.

Judging by some of the comments on this thread, the unaware might think Tulane was losing Jerald Honeycutt.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

puffy wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
DrBox wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

If "productive" means shooting low 30's overall and 13% from 3, then I guess Tulane can't afford to lose anyone.

This isn't 1987 anymore. The basketball landscape is filled with "power forwards" who do nothing but face the basket. If Tulane doesn't have one next year, they'll get one the year after. In the meantime, they'll throw out some rotations early on and figure out which combos work the best.

Judging by some of the comments on this thread, the unaware might think Tulane was losing Jerald Honeycutt.
I call BS. Please quote any post that suggests Henson is anything resembling Jerald Honeycutt.

Meanwhile, that's the point. We don't have a face up 4 on the roster next season.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Some people just can't see the forest for the trees. Or they just refuse to understand, have an agenda or really have no clue about the bigger picture. If Henson stays we don't have the room to get Jenard Jarreau. Since Jarreau came here and not at Ok St we have a better shot to get his 4 star younger cousin DeJon Jarreau class of 2016. It's relationships that we are finally building.

Look below and learn JJ. You really have no clue on this subject. You are trolling here. Stick to the topic you know best, Cowen bashing please.
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/baske ... on-jarreau
Here's the updated list.
Offers from UMass, Washington, UL-Lafayette, UNO, Oklahoma, Tulsa, Southeastern, Memphis, LA Tech, Boston College, Oral Roberts, Northwestern State, Tulane, Miami, Oklahoma State and Temple. UNLV, Baylor, Wake, Vanderbilt, Arkansas and Arizona are also recruiting him.
Tulane Class of 1981
DrBox
Riptide

mbawavefan12 wrote:
Robert1969 wrote:What we've got coming in:

Melvin Frazier
Blake Paul
Kain Harris
Von Julien
Maxwell Starwood
Taron Oliver
Kipper Nichols

Transfers
Malik Morgan
Jenard Jarreau

Keeping:

Louis Dabney
Dylan Osetkowski
Cameron Reynolds
Kajon Mack

Where does Peyton Henson fit on this roster? And if you think he does, how the heck is he improving his playing time?
Where's Smith?
Where Starwood is. I don't think Starwood signed. And Henson didn't show any ability to face up and score in the low post. He is an outside shooter. He was showing progress in rebounding and he was frequently used for defense at the end of games (something hopefully Dylan O, who was a much better low post player, improves on). Jarreau certainly will help us defensively.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Henson, like most of Conroy's recruits prior to this year, would have been a good player at The Citadel.
TXWave88
Surge

JerseyWave wrote:Henson, like most of Conroy's recruits prior to this year, would have been a good player at The Citadel.
Since we are bashing players, I would have rather gotten rid of other players before Henson. If we needed a spot open for a transfer center, then I probably would have looked at the center position for the swap. That would be a direct increase in talent over what we had. Just saying.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Henson left on his own. He probably saw that Tulane was going in another direction and thought about his personal situation and felt he'd be better suited at another school. Jarreau probably felt the same way when he decided to leave UW. Tulane has to do what's best for the team and not any individual. Ryan Smith may be content to continue his role coming off the bench, perhaps Henson was not and probably thought he should have started or at least play more minutes last season. The bottom line is he's gone and we have improved our roster since that happened. I hope he find's a school that suit's his game that he can flourish in. He's a good kid but he just didn't put the skins up on the wall in AAC play.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Jarreau hasn't put the skins on the wall in college either. Hopefully he can stay healthy and perform up to the hype.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:Jarreau hasn't put the skins on the wall in college either. Hopefully he can stay healthy and perform up to the hype.
Simple question to you. If you were forced to choose between Henson and Jarreau who would you pick? No explanation. Just one or the other.
Tulane Class of 1981