Bye Bye Payton Henson

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Yes I do agree on the first coaches. He came from the Citadel and that's the coaches he had while recruiting there. Going uptempo is what the current staff knows. I don't think the past staff had that style. If you think the gym is bad that's fine but that's not on EC. The gym is an improvement on what it was prior to the renovation. I agree that it's too small. A donor gifted $10 million for naming rights. Doing nothing would have been a bigger mistake. Tulane isn't going to build a new facility at least not anytime soon. We can only hope that one day they can expand Devlin to at least 5K. As it sits now it's a great place for the fans to see a game. Only it's too small should the program begin to have some big success. It would be nice to see the place filled at least in my lifetime once again.
If you hate Yulman you'd hate a new arena that Tulane would choose to build.
No doing nothing would have been a better option, because we'd have $10M in dry powder to apply to a real solution. That $10M was flushed down the toilet and is a blight on Dickson, the donor and the university.

Being able to sell the promise or the dream is a lot easier than showing off your new facility and having recruits think it looks like a high school.
I agree. Maybe he would have been willing to give maybe $5mm for an IPF and $5mm to the Devlin Football Operations building. That would have been more valuable. We need real/competitive solutions, no P5 conference is taking a school with a 3.2k gym with no revenue generating seats.
Actually an IPF was pitched to big donors. However no one was interested in getting their name on an IPF. Devlin was interested in supporting the basketball program. Tulane passed on building a $40 million basketball arena a few years ago when former Hornets owner Ray Woolridge offered a $10 million pledge to be the lead donor in a new arena. Tulane scrapped the idea and went the new football stadium route and a Fogelman renovation instead. You can't change history but can only hope to learn from it. Tulane has been their own worst enemy for the last 50 years.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Some have claimed that RD tried and was told no. From information I and others have gotten he is full of it. When he and SC saw the cost of the new arena would be $40 million they said we can build a football stadium for that. They never considered the facilities the coaches have wanted, i.e., IPF and football operations building.

For arguments sake say he did try and failed. It's one more reason to fire him b/c every other AD that has tried was successful in convincing donors to give.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Profoundwizard
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
oliveandblue wrote:What tps is alluding to is the fact that the AAU circuit is far far dirtier than what most people think. Players are essentially pawns to people that "coach" and "advise" them.

Tulane could be an NCAA team if they were willing to break NCAA rules and start funneling money thru third parties to the "advisors". Tulane would rather lose than turn into what most basketball schools have become.

College sports is just awful these days. There are very very very few "clean winners". Most of those "clean winners" are schools that win only 55-65% of the time, anyhow... ...to get any farther than that you must get your hands dirty.
Bingo. I think most here understand this. Some refuse to believe it though.
I can't help but laugh at anyone who thinks there are schools willing to pay for Payton Henson and if by some small chance this is his AAU coach trying to make a buck, do you not think we had to pay to get him here? He has less value today than he did coming out of high school if you ask me.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:Some have claimed that RD tried and was told no. From information I and others have gotten he is full of it. When he and SC saw the cost of the new arena would be $40 million they said we can build a football stadium for that. They never considered the facilities the coaches have wanted, i.e., IPF and football operations building.

For arguments sake say he did try and failed. It's one more reason to fire him b/c every other AD that has tried was successful in convincing donors to give.
Yes on the sticker shock for $40 million and that is correct. However if you would have saw the plans that were thrown around for the IPF you'd never want your name on it either. You'll have plenty to complain about when we get a 50 yard one sandwiched between Turchin and Yulman.
Tulane Class of 1981
Show Me
Tsunami

No loss there. Just another player that can't compete in this conference. All these transfers were CUSA type talent. Henson never did much of anything. I believe he was a 30 something percentage shooter. That's terrible for a guy his size. It will be interesting to see where he lands. If he wasn't 6'8" he'd be paying tuition like every other Tulane student.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote:Until the BOA and/or office of the President wants to not only commit to winning, but demonstrate the commitment to winning, will we ever get any better. As TPS has been saying throughout this and other threads, it's been this way for 50 years, and Cow/Dick just made it that much worse. There's no true commitment to doing the things that need to be done to support a winning athletics department from top to bottom. The fact that RD has a job is enough evidence that Tulane doesn't care about winning. EC is still employed because he's done some of his programs' best fundraising, and has avoided scandal (save for the transfers). Things like the fiasco with the Turchin lights, the devious nature of "Capacity vs. Seating" at Yulman, the arrogant treatment to alumni and fans, not to mention a well publicized "We don't measure success by wins and losses" all happened under one man's watch. Only at Tulane could he still be employed.

We should be able to compete in Basketball a whole lot better than we have since the 90's. The only thing holding back Tulane athletics is Tulane itself.
I agree for the most part, but damn if this group doesn't collective look at 16 of 25 scholarship players leaving as something that falls short of scandalous. It's just a sad statement about where the bar is set for Tulane fans.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Yes I do agree on the first coaches. He came from the Citadel and that's the coaches he had while recruiting there. Going uptempo is what the current staff knows. I don't think the past staff had that style. If you think the gym is bad that's fine but that's not on EC. The gym is an improvement on what it was prior to the renovation. I agree that it's too small. A donor gifted $10 million for naming rights. Doing nothing would have been a bigger mistake. Tulane isn't going to build a new facility at least not anytime soon. We can only hope that one day they can expand Devlin to at least 5K. As it sits now it's a great place for the fans to see a game. Only it's too small should the program begin to have some big success. It would be nice to see the place filled at least in my lifetime once again.
No doing nothing would have been a better option, because we'd have $10M in dry powder to apply to a real solution. That $10M was flushed down the toilet and is a blight on Dickson, the donor and the university.

Being able to sell the promise or the dream is a lot easier than showing off your new facility and having recruits think it looks like a high school.
I agree. Maybe he would have been willing to give maybe $5mm for an IPF and $5mm to the Devlin Football Operations building. That would have been more valuable. We need real/competitive solutions, no P5 conference is taking a school with a 3.2k gym with no revenue generating seats.
Actually an IPF was pitched to big donors. However no one was interested in getting their name on an IPF. Devlin was interested in supporting the basketball program. Tulane passed on building a $40 million basketball arena a few years ago when former Hornets owner Ray Woolridge offered a $10 million pledge to be the lead donor in a new arena. Tulane scrapped the idea and went the new football stadium route and a Fogelman renovation instead. You can't change history but can only hope to learn from it. Tulane has been their own worst enemy for the last 50 years.
That just doesn't pass the smell test. Donors don't really choose which projects they want to fund. The fundraiser explains "Here is why we need this facility and your money can help make this happen" and then the donor says yes or no.

Meanwhile, we don't learn from history and we don't change the leadership that doesn't learn from history. How do people not understand that this is not just corrupt but will result in the destruction of the university?
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:Some have claimed that RD tried and was told no. From information I and others have gotten he is full of it. When he and SC saw the cost of the new arena would be $40 million they said we can build a football stadium for that. They never considered the facilities the coaches have wanted, i.e., IPF and football operations building.

Yes on the sticker shock for $40 million and that is correct. However if you would have saw the plans that were thrown around for the IPF you'd never want your name on it either. You'll have plenty to complain about when we get a 50 yard one sandwiched between Turchin and Yulman.
Not sure if that was tongue in cheek or not, but are people really willing to continue letting Dickson spend capital and physical plant? How is this not a failing on the part of the Greenbackers?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:

Yes everyone would have a lot to complain about if they were stupid enough to do that. That space should be used for the football operations building.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

That just doesn't pass the smell test. Donors don't really choose which projects they want to fund. The fundraiser explains "Here is why we need this facility and your money can help make this happen" and then the donor says yes or no.

Meanwhile, we don't learn from history and we don't change the leadership that doesn't learn from history. How do people not understand that this is not just corrupt but will result in the destruction of the university?
Exactly.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

There's a relationship between Devlin and the Conroy family. He wanted to donate to basketball.
Tulane Class of 1981
puffy
Surge

Show Me wrote:No loss there. Just another player that can't compete in this conference. All these transfers were CUSA type talent. Henson never did much of anything. I believe he was a 30 something percentage shooter. That's terrible for a guy his size. It will be interesting to see where he lands. If he wasn't 6'8" he'd be paying tuition like every other Tulane student.
Agree.
puffy
Surge

Show Me
Tsunami

Show Me wrote:No loss there. Just another player that can't compete in this conference. All these transfers were CUSA type talent. Henson never did much of anything. I believe he was a 30 something percentage shooter. That's terrible for a guy his size. It will be interesting to see where he lands. If he wasn't 6'8" he'd be paying tuition like every other Tulane student.
There yo go.
Its easy to see why Henson left. Go look in the Surf thread. He'd be on the bench as a Jr. Behind this new class coming in. He can't play on this level. This staff is bringing in kids that finally can compete in the highest level. We got Frazier.
Jonathan
Riptide

Happy they are gone. All five in my opinion stiffs spastic and making room for three and four star players like Frazier,Von Julien and Blake all TP top ten players.

We must have one wealthy alumni that will donate 50m for a new basketball arena other than our current high school gym that we are in now. Also we need another 40m for a football indoor practice facility state of the art better than the Saints and LSU A&M on the Rosen parking lot site on South Claiborne Avenue with five layers of parking above it. Also need state of the art track and tennis stadium on Goldring site offered to Tulane. Get it done.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

There's a relationship between Devlin and the Conroy family. He wanted to donate to basketball.
I know. But that's not a valid reasons for responsible adults or professionals to make major program decisions.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

I know. But that's not a valid reasons for responsible adults or professionals to make major program decisions.
It's done all the time. Rick Jones personally went out and raised the majority of funds for Turchin to be re-built. Conroy did the same with Devlin. Waiting on Tulane admin to do something is usually a bad thing.
Tulane Class of 1981
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

It's done all the time. Rick Jones personally went out and raised the majority of funds for Turchin to be re-built. Conroy did the same with Devlin. Waiting on Tulane admin to do something is usually a bad thing.
Rick Jones had been at Tulane for a long time by then and established it as "his" program at the time he took ownership of getting Turchin built. He earned that right. Conroy was underqualified to get the job in the first place and hadn't even proven that he was a viable coach at this level before he was allowed to "make the program his".

The broader point is how Tulane operates. Get someone willing to abide by the Tulane Model and then give them literally every chance to succeed and make the program theirs. That's not how people who judge by wins and losses operate.

We all hope this recent uptick in recruiting signifies a change but the reality is lots of people in professional roles would succeed if they were allowed 5th and 6th chances. Whether or not Conroy can keep these players much less succeed with them remains in question.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

But Turchin was up or above industry standards, thus the AD/admin would approve the build out. The AD/Admin shouldn't be approving a donor build out that results in a woefully undersized arena with no revenue generating seats.
oliveandblue
Surge

I would rather see an IPF with some operational/office space than a full football-only ops building. I think the IPF would generate more wins for the money - but maybe that's just me.

Tennessee have dumped mega-millions on their ops facility, and it's done absolutely nothing for them.

Also, $40m is a LOT of money for a building that isn't an IPF. Keep in mind we are on AAC money - which isn't that bad but it is NOT SEC money.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Please stay on topic. We have many threads on facilities, or lack thereof.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
Profoundwizard
Swell

Anyone still think this was about Payton's AAU coach trying to get paid?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote:Anyone still think this was about Payton's AAU coach trying to get paid?
Of course not. I said only the better players. He didn't even start for us. He saw the writing on the wall with the freshman coming in and left while he still had two years to get some PT. He wasn't going to get the PT he thought he deserved here.
Tulane Class of 1981
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:Anyone still think this was about Payton's AAU coach trying to get paid?
Of course not. I said only the better players. He didn't even start for us. He saw the writing on the wall with the freshman coming in and left while he still had two years to get some PT. He wasn't going to get the PT he thought he deserved here.
Which player coming in is a stretch 4? Or even a regular 4? None of the incoming players have his skill set and Henson was going to see plenty of playing time.

Y'all going way over the top on some of these recruits and their impact as a freshman. The impact guys are all wings (and Julien) and the other guys are pure post players who will not see the floor over Osetkowski. There is little doubt in my mind that the roster has a hole at both the 1 and the 4, the two positions hit by transfers to Henson, Pinckney and Stark. Julien will be thrown into the first at the 1 but I think we no longer have a D1A 4 on the roster.
Jonathan
Riptide

Go get rid of Henson and pick up four star Frazier.