Bye Bye Payton Henson

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:It's sheer folly to write this off as being ok b/c it's the world we live in. It's b/c of EC and no other school is bleeding contributing players like his team is.
I'm telling you Tulane insist's on playing by the rules in a world that chooses to do otherwise.
Just look at the bowling team running off our strenght coach. Open your eyes. Toledo paying for a parking spot and microwave. This stuff only happens at Tulane under an administration that doesn't care to take the necessary steps to win.
We may get lucky once every 10 or 15 years and happen upon a coach that can overcome this nonsense and win. Then that coach will leave for a better opportunity. The cycle repeats itself and has for the last 50 years give or take a few in there. I'm not defending any coach because when they take a job here they know what they are facing. It's just a shame that we as fans continue to get the short end of the stick.
Not the case here. The players have spoken loudly that EC and his system are a huge turnoff.
I've said what I know to be facts. It's important to shed light on the dirt of what goes on behind the scenes. Of course losing all these players over the years hurts. Do you really think any coach would keep his or get job if the administration thought that it was that coaches fault for this mass exodus? Like I said we play by the rules that nobody else does. I really don't feel like arguing this any longer. I can only hope we can replace Henson with a better talent. You don't know and that's you opinion since you can only speculate. I am moving on.
Good. Then Tulane will be turning over this overwhelming evidence they have an the AAU system will be disbanded. You will be the star witness. Yes Tulane is the only school in America that does things right. That's why it is thriving academically and athletically.

Fact is you don't know and just choose to believe everything every losing coach at Tulane tells you.

Now for those living in the real world we know the issues. EC chose to bring his Citadel staff here. He initially did hire a recruiter. He had to be fired for being arrested for domestic violence. EC elevated another one of his Citadel people to that role. The recruiting was bad, so bad Tulane ,yes Tulane that does everything right, has run off many of those recruits. When we have got someone worth keeping they have left. One just said he left b/c of the HS gym. Others have left b/c of the piss poor offensive system he runs.So it's all on EC.

I hate to be harsh. I really do. But we have too many who are just always willing to buy into the excuses. EC needs to be fired. So does RD.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:It's sheer folly to write this off as being ok b/c it's the world we live in. It's b/c of EC and no other school is bleeding contributing players like his team is.
I'm telling you Tulane insist's on playing by the rules in a world that chooses to do otherwise.
Just look at the bowling team running off our strenght coach. Open your eyes. Toledo paying for a parking spot and microwave. This stuff only happens at Tulane under an administration that doesn't care to take the necessary steps to win.
We may get lucky once every 10 or 15 years and happen upon a coach that can overcome this nonsense and win. Then that coach will leave for a better opportunity. The cycle repeats itself and has for the last 50 years give or take a few in there. I'm not defending any coach because when they take a job here they know what they are facing. It's just a shame that we as fans continue to get the short end of the stick.
Not the case here. The players have spoken loudly that EC and his system are a huge turnoff.
I've said what I know to be facts. It's important to shed light on the dirt of what goes on behind the scenes. Of course losing all these players over the years hurts. Do you really think any coach would keep his or get job if the administration thought that it was that coaches fault for this mass exodus? Like I said we play by the rules that nobody else does. I really don't feel like arguing this any longer. I can only hope we can replace Henson with a better talent. You don't know and that's you opinion since you can only speculate. I am moving on.
Good. Then Tulane will be turning over this overwhelming evidence they have an the AAU system will be disbanded. You will be the star witness. Yes Tulane is the only school in America that does things right. That's why it is thriving academically and athletically.

Fact is you don't know and just choose to believe everything every losing coach at Tulane tells you.

Now for those living in the real world we know the issues. EC chose to bring his Citadel staff here. He initially did hire a recruiter. He had to be fired for being arrested for domestic violence. EC elevated another one of his Citadel people to that role. The recruiting was bad, so bad Tulane ,yes Tulane that does everything right, has run off many of those recruits. When we have got someone worth keeping they have left. One just said he left b/c of the HS gym. Others have left b/c of the piss poor offensive system he runs.so it's all on EC.

I hate to be harsh. I really do. But we have too many who are just always willing to buy into the excuses. EC needs to be fired. So does RD.
It's not something that can easily be done. It's like if you burn that bridge then you can't cross it. The point is the better players that leave many are influenced by their AAU coaches. It's not an excuse. It's how the game is played these days. Tulane chooses to not to play on the level others are willing to play. That's why EC is going into his 6th year here and Rick Dickson is going into his 16th year here. No other reason. The Tulane Board must be happy with they way things are being run accordingly with their wishes. Like I said before every 10 to 15 years we may catch lightning in a bottle and hire someone that can overcome the Tulane Model but in the long run its going to be like this. When these things happen for the last 50 years repeatedly you tend to buy into it.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:Podcast.
Henson looking for a better opportunity to play,
wanted a bigger role on the team. Straight from his mouth. Good questions by Tammy here:
http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... ry_package

"Lone Wolf" comments.
That's not what he said. Everyone should listen for themselves.

What he said was that he wanted to win and be successful. He said he wanted stability. When asked he said if he stayed he felt he would have a major role going forward.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

Now for those living in the real world we know the issues. EC chose to bring his Citadel staff here. He initially did hire a recruiter. He had to be fired for being arrested for domestic violence. EC elevated another one of his Citadel people to that role. The recruiting was bad, so bad Tulane ,yes Tulane that does everything right, has run off many of those recruits. When we have got someone worth keeping they have left. One just said he left b/c of the HS gym. Others have left b/c of the piss poor offensive system he runs.so it's all on EC.

It's not something that can easily be done. It's like if you burn that bridge then you can't cross it. The point is the better players that leave many are influenced by their AAU coaches. It's not an excuse. It's how the game is played these days. Tulane chooses to not to play on the level others are willing to play. That's why EC is going into his 6th year here and Rick Dickson is going into his 16th year here. No other reason. The Tulane Board must be happy with they way things are being run accordingly with their wishes. Like I said before every 10 to 15 years we may catch lightning in a bottle and hire someone that can overcome the Tulane Model but in the long run its going to be like this. When these things happen for the last 50 years repeatedly you tend to buy into it.
It is the latest excuse by a losing coach at Tulane. If not then Tulane needs to come forwards w/the evidence. Now or never. Put up or shut up.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
wanted a bigger role on the team. Straight from his mouth. Good questions by Tammy here:

"Lone Wolf" comments.

What he said was that he wanted to win and be successful. He said he wanted stability..
I mentioned stability in another thread. Of course he wants to win and be successful. Something Tulane places little value on.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

It is the latest excuse by a losing coach at Tulane. If not then Tulane needs to come forwards w/the evidence. Now or never. Put up or shut up.
That's not the coach giving an excuse. Tulane is content with this stuff. See EC year 6, RD year 16.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:

"Lone Wolf" comments.

What he said was that he wanted to win and be successful. He said he wanted stability..
I mentioned stability in another thread. Of course he wants to win and be successful. Something Tulane places little value on.
You claimed he said he wanted a better opportunity to play. He did not say that.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

That's not the coach giving an excuse. Tulane is content with this stuff. See EC year 6, RD year 16.
That's not what this thread is about. This thread is about the reasons for Henson leaving. You are blaming that squarely on the AAU circuit. Others strongly disagree and blame EC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:

"Lone Wolf" comments.

You claimed he said he wanted a better opportunity to play. He did not say that.
When asked about what he wanted his role to be he states it in the
50 second mark he talks about wanting a major role like all players. He probably didn't think he'd get that here.
https://soundcloud.com/nola-sound/tulan ... all-player
Tulane Class of 1981
oliveandblue
Surge

What tps is alluding to is the fact that the AAU circuit is far far dirtier than what most people think. Players are essentially pawns to people that "coach" and "advise" them.

Tulane could be an NCAA team if they were willing to break NCAA rules and start funneling money thru third parties to the "advisors". Tulane would rather lose than turn into what most basketball schools have become.

College sports is just awful these days. There are very very very few "clean winners". Most of those "clean winners" are schools that win only 55-65% of the time, anyhow... ...to get any farther than that you must get your hands dirty.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

oliveandblue wrote:What tps is alluding to is the fact that the AAU circuit is far far dirtier than what most people think. Players are essentially pawns to people that "coach" and "advise" them.

Tulane could be an NCAA team if they were willing to break NCAA rules and start funneling money thru third parties to the "advisors". Tulane would rather lose than turn into what most basketball schools have become.

College sports is just awful these days. There are very very very few "clean winners". Most of those "clean winners" are schools that win only 55-65% of the time, anyhow... ...to get any farther than that you must get your hands dirty.
Bingo. I think most here understand this. Some refuse to believe it though.
Tulane Class of 1981
TXWave88
Surge

On a serious note, how do all these transfers effect us being compliant with the NCAA in regards to graduation rates? Is that still in effect and how does that work? If we have had 17 schollies out of 25 leave, then we will not be eligible to compete no matter how good we will or will not be. This may not even be a point if it does not work that way, but I thought they put something in place. UConn had post season bans recently.

This point may not even be a Conroy issue, but it could affect the next coach that Tulane hires. "Both the Graduation Success Rate and the Academic Success Rate account for the academic outcomes of student-athletes who transfer from one institution to another. The rate compiled using the federal government's methodology does not count transfers in and counts transfers out as graduation failures." How does this affect us?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

TXWave88 wrote:On a serious note, how do all these transfers effect us being compliant with the NCAA in regards to graduation rates? Is that still in effect and how does that work? If we have had 17 schollies out of 25 leave, then we will not be eligible to compete no matter how good we will or will not be. This may not even be a point if it does not work that way, but I thought they put something in place. UConn had post season bans recently.

This point may not even be a Conroy issue, but it could affect the next coach that Tulane hires. "Both the Graduation Success Rate and the Academic Success Rate account for the academic outcomes of student-athletes who transfer from one institution to another. The rate compiled using the federal government's methodology does not count transfers in and counts transfers out as graduation failures." How does this affect us?
I believe this is how it works. Since Ricky Tarrant graduated from Alabama, Tulane is not penalized. Ben Cherry at UNCC also graduated so Tulane would be ok there as well. You would have to track every transfer and follow up on them. I'm not sure about the rest. The main potential problem comes because once they leave you have no control over whether or not they attend class at the next school. But if any failed to receive their degree then Tulane would take a hit on the graduation rate. I'm not sure how Kentucky is not hurt with the one and done guys.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

oliveandblue wrote:What tps is alluding to is the fact that the AAU circuit is far far dirtier than what most people think. Players are essentially pawns to people that "coach" and "advise" them.

I know what he claims. That is the lazy way to try and excuse this. As I said above the reasons at Tulane are EC's coaching hires leading to poor recruiting, his offensive system and the HS gym.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:

"Lone Wolf" comments.

When asked about what he wanted his role to be he states it in the
50 second mark he talks about wanting a major role like all players. He probably didn't think he'd get that here.
https://soundcloud.com/nola-sound/tulan ... all-player
When directly asked by Tammy what he thought his role would be if he stayed at Tulane he said he felt he would have a major role.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:

I know what he claims. That is the lazy way to try and excuse this. As I said above the reasons at Tulane are EC's coaching hires leading to poor recruiting, his offensive system and the HS gym.
EC has hired better coaches (recruiting class this year on paper is the best in years) and recruiters, he's changing the offense to up tempo.
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

"Lone Wolf" comments.
The Dylan O comment is very worrisome. Nothing would surprise me at this point. At least he knows he will be playing big time minutes. The fact is that if he improves in his soph year, he will probably be gone as well.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:

EC has hired better coaches (recruiting class this year on paper is the best in years) and recruiters, he's changing the offense to up tempo.
We are second to last in the AAC, how much is it the league/ESPN and how much is it the staff?
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote: That's not the coach giving an excuse. Tulane is content with this stuff. See EC year 6, RD year 16.
Correct. We do not judge by wins and losses. Neither Dickson nor Conroy are going anywhere. Either accept that or do something about it.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:

EC has hired better coaches (recruiting class this year on paper is the best in years) and recruiters, he's changing the offense to up tempo but he can't control the small gym he's dealt with.
Other than that see EC going into 6th year and RD going into 16th year. There lies your answer.
So agreed that the initial hires caused the poor recruiting that led to him running players off. As to him saying he'll now go up tempo he said that the last time there was a revolt and he didn't follow through. No reason to believe him now. Also glad to see you now agree that sinking $10 million into a HS gym was a major mistake and a great detriment to the program.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:

EC has hired better coaches (recruiting class this year on paper is the best in years) and recruiters, he's changing the offense to up tempo but he can't control the small gym he's dealt with.
Other than that see EC going into 6th year and RD going into 16th year. There lies your answer.
So agreed that the initial hires caused the poor recruiting that led to him running players off. As to him saying he'll now go up tempo he said that the last time there was a revolt and he didn't follow through. No reason to believe him now. Also glad to see you now agree that sinking $10 million into a HS gym was a major mistake and a great detriment to the program.
Yes I do agree on the first coaches. He came from the Citadel and that's the coaches he had while recruiting there. Going uptempo is what the current staff knows. I don't think the past staff had that style. If you think the gym is bad that's fine but that's not on EC. The gym is an improvement on what it was prior to the renovation. I agree that it's too small. A donor gifted $10 million for naming rights. Doing nothing would have been a bigger mistake. Tulane isn't going to build a new facility at least not anytime soon. We can only hope that one day they can expand Devlin to at least 5K. As it sits now it's a great place for the fans to see a game. Only it's too small should the program begin to have some big success. It would be nice to see the place filled at least in my lifetime once again.
If you hate Yulman you'd hate a new arena that Tulane would choose to build.
Tulane Class of 1981
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:
Yes I do agree on the first coaches. He came from the Citadel and that's the coaches he had while recruiting there. Going uptempo is what the current staff knows. I don't think the past staff had that style. If you think the gym is bad that's fine but that's not on EC. The gym is an improvement on what it was prior to the renovation. I agree that it's too small. A donor gifted $10 million for naming rights. Doing nothing would have been a bigger mistake. Tulane isn't going to build a new facility at least not anytime soon. We can only hope that one day they can expand Devlin to at least 5K. As it sits now it's a great place for the fans to see a game. Only it's too small should the program begin to have some big success. It would be nice to see the place filled at least in my lifetime once again.
No doing nothing would have been a better option, because we'd have $10M in dry powder to apply to a real solution. That $10M was flushed down the toilet and is a blight on Dickson, the donor and the university.

Being able to sell the promise or the dream is a lot easier than showing off your new facility and having recruits think it looks like a high school.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
No doing nothing would have been a better option, because we'd have $10M in dry powder to apply to a real solution. That $10M was flushed down the toilet and is a blight on Dickson, the donor and the university.

Being able to sell the promise or the dream is a lot easier than showing off your new facility and having recruits think it looks like a high school.
I agree. Maybe he would have been willing to give maybe $5mm for an IPF and $5mm to the Devlin Football Operations building. That would have been more valuable. We need real/competitive solutions, no P5 conference is taking a school with a 3.2k gym with no revenue generating seats.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Until the BOA and/or office of the President wants to not only commit to winning, but demonstrate the commitment to winning, will we ever get any better. As TPS has been saying throughout this and other threads, it's been this way for 50 years, and Cow/Dick just made it that much worse. There's no true commitment to doing the things that need to be done to support a winning athletics department from top to bottom. The fact that RD has a job is enough evidence that Tulane doesn't care about winning. EC is still employed because he's done some of his programs' best fundraising, and has avoided scandal (save for the transfers). Things like the fiasco with the Turchin lights, the devious nature of "Capacity vs. Seating" at Yulman, the arrogant treatment to alumni and fans, not to mention a well publicized "We don't measure success by wins and losses" all happened under one man's watch. Only at Tulane could he still be employed.

We should be able to compete in Basketball a whole lot better than we have since the 90's. The only thing holding back Tulane athletics is Tulane itself.
Last edited by DfromCT on Wed May 06, 2015 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

I agree. Maybe he would have been willing to give maybe $5mm for an IPF and $5mm to the Devlin Football Operations building. That would have been more valuable. We need real/competitive solutions, no P5 conference is taking a school with a 3.2k gym with no revenue generating seats.
Well stated jj and mba. With regards to Devlin it is not a good place to watch a game b/c it limits us from putting a team worth watching on the floor. Schools like Houston build a 40,000 seat stadium w/clear expansion capability to 50k to show recruits and fans their commitment to winning and to attract them to the program. They did that despite not having that many already coming to their games. As to a new arena if it sat 7,500 or more that would be good for the program and I would be in favor of it.