Bye bye Jonathan Stark

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

MBA This kid. Every coach in America called him after he landed this kid.
http://highschoolsports.nola.com/news/a ... hon-maker/

http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketb ... oll-second

Believe me coaches and scouts call high school coaches for their info and opinions. They can't see everyone in person. It's impossible. And the film kids put out is only of their highlights.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote: I know that. He won because of the team concept over the player. He did well getting 4 kids D1 scholarships from a 1A private expensive highly select educated school. He developed the kids as far as they were capable in high school. It's not so much 1A because CD plays a 5A pre district schedule. He beat Brandon Sampson in the state title game with no D1 players. I value his opinion on basketball talent. He told me the kid is a Pointer Williams only he shoots better. To mba do you know how many D1 coaches call him about kids? That's where they get the info. From the high school coach. Floyd calls him a lot. EC calls him a lot. Johnny Jones calls him a lot. A few years ago he had the best 15 year player in the country a 7 footer. Mike K came to CD to watch the kid. You just don't know what you don't know.
K, then why didn't they listen?

Anyway, I legit would take him over EC in a sec, though I am not sure that is actually a great compliment. I wonder if EC ever reached out to him to be an assistant?

I mean EC was a dam PG in college right? Yet, he can't hold onto or develop (Pickney) one. This discussion is getting a little uncomfortable.

One thing that will be interesting, where Stark ends up and whether there will be the stench of tampering. Coaches now know that Tulane is the place to go if you want to fill out your roster.
+1. They don't value his opinion anymore than any other HS coach.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote: I know that. He won because of the team concept over the player. He did well getting 4 kids D1 scholarships from a 1A private expensive highly select educated school. He developed the kids as far as they were capable in high school. It's not so much 1A because CD plays a 5A pre district schedule. He beat Brandon Sampson in the state title game with no D1 players. I value his opinion on basketball talent. He told me the kid is a Pointer Williams only he shoots better. To mba do you know how many D1 coaches call him about kids? That's where they get the info. From the high school coach. Floyd calls him a lot. EC calls him a lot. Johnny Jones calls him a lot. A few years ago he had the best 15 year player in the country a 7 footer. Mike K came to CD to watch the kid. You just don't know what you don't know.

Anyway, I legit would take him over EC in a sec, though I am not sure that is actually a great compliment. I wonder if EC ever reached out to him to be an assistant?

I mean EC was a dam PG in college right? Yet, he can't hold onto or develop (Pickney) one. This discussion is getting a little uncomfortable.

One thing that will be interesting, where Stark ends up and whether there will be the stench of tampering. Coaches now know that Tulane is the place to go if you want to fill out your roster.
That's for them to say. He has skins on the wall. Been coaching for 30 years. Knows all the AAU coaches and players. Only time will tell. Nobody will know until next season or after. He told me he needs to get stronger and that will come with maturity. Dabney was a type similar freshman coming in. He got bigger and stronger each year.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Sometimes I wish I didn't care about Tulane. I really waste too much time giving info here and arguing. I'm at the gym now and haven't touched the weights in the last 1/2 hour. Gotta go now my battery is going dead.
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

winwave wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:

Shots fired
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:Sometimes I wish I didn't care about Tulane. I really waste too much time giving info here and arguing. I'm at the gym now and haven't touched the weights in the last 1/2 hour. Gotta go now my battery is going dead.
Everyone appreciates the info.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We all care deeply about the wave and all wish we could break the addiction so we could better spend our time.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

A source close to the situation told The Advocate the parting was a mutual understanding between Stark and the program; he is expected to transfer to another Division I school..
"My main reason [for transferring], I would say, is I don’t think I was being played to my full potential or having my ability being fully used," Stark said. "I just felt that with the coaching staff, I didn’t agree with some of the things we did and even though it was helpful to me I don’t think I was going to reach my full potential."
Stark's announcement punctuated a week of transition in the Tulane basketball program, as Conroy confirmed last weekend that sophomore forward Josh Hearlihy and freshman guard Keith Pinckney intend to transfer.
Tulane Class of 1981
irishWAVE
Trickle

Look, I agree that the number of transfers is ridiculous. Conroy's established routine of a) stacking the roster with temporary filler players (too many to name) and b) running off/losing the confidence of solid contributors (Davis, Tarrant, Stark, etc.) is inexcusable. These recruiting issues, along with his pathetic coaching schemes (especially on the offensive end), have seriously beleaguered this program for the entirety of Conroy's tenure thus far. However, despite my limited faith in Conroy, it seems like he is aiming to rectify both of these problems moving forward.

For starters, the recruiting has SERIOUSLY improved this year. All the players (Oliver, Paul, Harris, Nichols & Julien) are graded right around the 3-star level, which is a significant upgrade over what we've seen in years past. Before this year, the coaching staff had only been able to land two 3-star caliber players (Tarrant & Pinckney). In this class alone, there are 5. Sure, maybe one or two don't immediately pan out (a la Pinckney), but this seems like a very impressive group that will hopefully be major factors in the seasons to come. Obviously, in order for that to happen, Conroy needs to figure out a way to keep these guys around.

As has previously been discussed, there are certainly many, many reasons why a player might transfer. If a player is leaving solely for basketball-related purposes, this could still be due to a wide variety of factors. However, I firmly believe that Conroy's coaching philosophy and anemic offensive schemes have likely been a main driving force behind some of the big departures over the last few years (see Stark quote above). While this past season surely didn't inspire much confidence (especially in conference play), recent comments from yesterday's Advocate article seem to indicate that Conroy is ready to make some adjustments:

Conroy:
“We can now play more up-tempo and faster than we’ve played since I’ve been here but at the same time have more depth and athleticism to go with it."

Julien:
“The things that Coach Conroy is trying to do next year, with the high tempo and adding (LSU transfer) Malik Morgan along with the other recruits, there’s a big chance to step in and make an impact."

Now, I'm honestly not sure if he's said this same sort of thing in years past, but I'm willing to temporarily give him the benefit of the doubt to see if changes are indeed implemented. If things do not change, then I will expect more of the same, and will once again be an enormous proponent of his dismissal. However, it seems that, even with the recent departures, we do have the talent in place to play a more exciting brand of basketball, which would hopefully help to reduce the high-profile defections down the road.

Still, some PG depth would be nice...
GreenLantern
Riptide

Good post, irishWave. After reading your first post and now this, I'm guessing you've played or coached at a high level.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

irishWAVE wrote:Look, I agree that the number of transfers is ridiculous. Conroy's established routine of a) stacking the roster with temporary filler players (too many to name) and b) running off/losing the confidence of solid contributors (Davis, Tarrant, Stark, etc.) is inexcusable. These recruiting issues, along with his pathetic coaching schemes (especially on the offensive end), have seriously beleaguered this program for the entirety of Conroy's tenure thus far. However, despite my limited faith in Conroy, it seems like he is aiming to rectify both of these problems moving forward.

For starters, the recruiting has SERIOUSLY improved this year. All the players (Oliver, Paul, Harris, Nichols & Julien) are graded right around the 3-star level, which is a significant upgrade over what we've seen in years past. Before this year, the coaching staff had only been able to land two 3-star caliber players (Tarrant & Pinckney). In this class alone, there are 5. Sure, maybe one or two don't immediately pan out (a la Pinckney), but this seems like a very impressive group that will hopefully be major factors in the seasons to come. Obviously, in order for that to happen, Conroy needs to figure out a way to keep these guys around.

As has previously been discussed, there are certainly many, many reasons why a player might transfer. If a player is leaving solely for basketball-related purposes, this could still be due to a wide variety of factors. However, I firmly believe that Conroy's coaching philosophy and anemic offensive schemes have likely been a main driving force behind some of the big departures over the last few years (see Stark quote above). While this past season surely didn't inspire much confidence (especially in conference play), recent comments from yesterday's Advocate article seem to indicate that Conroy is ready to make some adjustments:

Conroy:
“We can now play more up-tempo and faster than we’ve played since I’ve been here but at the same time have more depth and athleticism to go with it."

Julien:
“The things that Coach Conroy is trying to do next year, with the high tempo and adding (LSU transfer) Malik Morgan along with the other recruits, there’s a big chance to step in and make an impact."

Now, I'm honestly not sure if he's said this same sort of thing in years past, but I'm willing to temporarily give him the benefit of the doubt to see if changes are indeed implemented. If things do not change, then I will expect more of the same, and will once again be an enormous proponent of his dismissal. However, it seems that, even with the recent departures, we do have the talent in place to play a more exciting brand of basketball, which would hopefully help to reduce the high-profile defections down the road.

Still, some PG depth would be nice...
Good post. I would add that recruiting to the AAC is much easier than CUSA. We are now getting 3's but our opponents are getting 4's and 5's. Coaching is going to play a factor in our success or failure. I believe the staff we have can get it done.
Tulane Class of 1981
puffy
Surge

"My main reason [for transferring], I would say, is I don’t think I was being played to my full potential or having my ability being fully used," Stark said. "I just felt that with the coaching staff, I didn’t agree with some of the things we did and even though it was helpful to me I don’t think I was going to reach my full potential."
Interesting insights there by Stark. I'm not sure what type of player he envisions himself to be. He was the primary ball handler and distributor, played 31 mpg and attempted the 2nd most FGs on the team. I suppose he wants to be more of a scorer(?) and be in an uptempo system. I'd advise then that he markedly improved his shooting.
Profoundwizard
Swell

puffy wrote:
Interesting insights there by Stark. I'm not sure what type of player he envisions himself to be. He was the primary ball handler and distributor, played 31 mpg and attempted the 2nd most FGs on the team. I suppose he wants to be more of a scorer(?) and be in an uptempo system. I'd advise then that he markedly improved his shooting.
I guarantee he's not upset about his lack of opportunity to score. I'm sure he wants to go some place where he can facilitate and not stand around the 3pt line and jack up a contested shot with the shot clock running out.
I believe the staff we have can get it done
There's been no evidence in 5 years that Conroy can get it done. No idea how so many are still drinking the kook-aid
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Other teams defended him since he was one of only 3 potential scorers we had. But he couldn't create his own shot like Dabney and Hook could. I wish him the best on his journey to find points somewhere else.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

T-P:

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... _index.ssf

High school gym reason for at least one transfer.
Profoundwizard
Swell

tpstulane wrote:Other teams defended him since he was one of only 3 potential scorers we had. But he couldn't create his own shot like Dabney and Hook could. I wish him the best on his journey to find points somewhere else.
He was definitely better at creating his own shot than Hook
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:Other teams defended him since he was one of only 3 potential scorers we had. But he couldn't create his own shot like Dabney and Hook could. I wish him the best on his journey to find points somewhere else.
C'mon you can't defend the coaching and then suggest this right after. It goes without saying that good players are the focus of an opposing defense. In college, it's the job of the scheme to create shots. This isn't the NBA and it's not even the old Big East.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

winwave wrote:T-P:

Between that and Stark's comments about the coaching, these are absolutely damning indictments of both Dickson and Conroy. If players are leaving because of the gym, that's another $10M that Dickson was allowed to flush down the drain. We're not talking about losing Jalil Okafor.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Good to read that. Now maybe people will cut Conroy some slack and see what he faces.
The sad part we can''t even fill the place and haven't for the last 15 years. For most of the season it goes more than half empty. We can't fill Yulman it now goes more than have empty. Baseball draws less then 500 now about the same as basketball it goes about more than half empty. We have one of the smallest fan bases in D1 athletics and it keeps getting smaller. It would actually be nice to fill these small venues once in awhile. Every kid wants to play on a big stage. Some get the opportunity and others don't have the talent to allow for it.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

jonathanjoseph wrote:
C'mon you can't defend the coaching and then suggest this right after. It goes without saying that good players are the focus of an opposing defense. In college, it's the job of the scheme to create shots. This isn't the NBA and it's not even the old Big East.
He created his shots in CUSA. Facing better defenses in the AAC stepped he struggled. Look at his shooting percentage. .
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote:
He was definitely better at creating his own shot than Hook
Hook knew how to use a pick to create. Stark didn't. He stood flat footed at the top of the key watching without the ball..
Tulane Class of 1981
Jonathan
Riptide

Threes are not enough. Conroy has never gotten or will never get 4 or 5 star recruits to get Tulane to the next level both the NCAA tournament after 20 years and back to the top 25. How many have walked away from his program and team in the last few years approximately 12, three this so far year. Crazy. Never seen or heard of anything like this! You are not going to fill Yulman or Fogelman/Devlin until you put out a winning product to get us back to the NCAAs,bowl games and top 25 in both sports. Will not happen soon with Dickson,CJ and Conroy.
Last edited by Jonathan on Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
puffy
Surge

Of the 12 players who have left, probably the only one I would have wanted back at Tulane is Josh Davis.

The next player that leaves Tulane and becomes a breakout star will be the first.

Players leaving is the rule now, not the exception in college bball. The overall talent today at Tulane is better than at any point in 2013-2015. The next step now is to win, and win a lot. Winning programs tend to keep their better players (for the most part).
Jonathan
Riptide

Was Ricky Tarrant the best of the group that left. Was he not Freshman Basketball player of the year by CUSA . He just left Alabama and signed with Memphis. We will be seeing him this coming season.
Last edited by Jonathan on Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:

Good to read that. Now maybe people will cut Conroy some slack and see what he faces.
The sad part we can''t even fill the place and haven't for the last 15 years. For most of the season it goes more than half empty. We can't fill Yulman it now goes more than have empty. Baseball draws less then 500 now about the same as basketball it goes about more than half empty. We have one of the smallest fan bases in D1 athletics and it keeps getting smaller. It would actually be nice to fill these small venues once in awhile. Every kid wants to play on a big stage. Some get the opportunity and others don't have the talent to allow for it.
Good now maybe people will admit that playing in a HS gym is a detriment to the program. Hopefully they'll also realize that football and basketball are kept from getting quality coaches and enough quality players to be nationally relevant again and that that the inability to get said players and coaches keeps us from putting butts in seats. As for baseball we have a good gameday facility and now we have a staff that will recruit aggressively.