Bye bye Jonathan Stark

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
I don't care if it "happens everywhere." It doesn't happen at every single school, year in and year out. It happens here year in and year out because of Ed Conroy.
Look we got Malik Morgan as a transfer. So I guess you could say because of EC. Yes It only happened to 1,194 players in the last two years lol. Here's just a small sample of quality schools it has happened to:
Clemson has lost 5, Virgina Tech lost 5 in one year, GT lost 4, Pitt lost 4, BC lost 3, Wake lost 3 and 100's more in 2013 & 2014.
Anyone who has followed college basketball would know this is now a common occurrence. When a player signs it's only for a one year scholarship. Players that think they can play pro ball leave early. Some fail to make it. Some are run off. Others leave because they don't play enough. Some get homesick, etc, etc, etc. Either way you can only replace those that don't return.
Stark will be missed. Hopefully Von fills in his minutes and eases that departure. We lost a guy that led our team in turnovers and shot in the low 30% range. He couldn't compete as well in this league against the better competition vs CUSA. The guards he faced were much better. We need to pick up a guy that can replace that. Tarrant game hasn't gone anywhere. He's a selfish player that thinks he's better than what he is. He's in his 3rd different program in 4 years. What a team player. When he left people went crazy. Stark came in as a freshman and played as well as Tarrant did. Von will come in as a freshman and will make you forget Stark.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
I don't care if it "happens everywhere." It doesn't happen at every single school, year in and year out. It happens here year in and year out because of Ed Conroy.
Look we got Malik Morgan as a transfer. So I guess you could say because of EC. Yes It only happened to 1,194 players in the last two years lol. Here's just a small sample of quality schools it has happened to:
Clemson has lost 5, Virgina Tech lost 5 in one year, GT lost 4, Pitt lost 4, BC lost 3, Wake lost 3 and 100's more in 2013 & 2014.
Anyone who has followed college basketball would know this is now a common occurrence. When a player signs it's only for a one year scholarship. Players that think they can play pro ball leave early. Some fail to make it. Some are run off. Others leave because they don't play enough. Some get homesick, etc, etc, etc. Either way you can only replace those that don't return.
Stark will be missed. Hopefully Von fills in his minutes and eases that departure. We lost a guy that led our team in turnovers and shot in the low 30% range. He couldn't compete as well in this league against the better competition vs CUSA. The guards he faced were much better. We need to pick up a guy that can replace that. Tarrant game hasn't gone anywhere. He's a selfish player that thinks he's better than what he is. He's in his 3rd different program in 4 years. What a team player. When he left people went crazy. Stark came in as a freshman and played as well as Tarrant did. Von will come in as a freshman and will make you forget Stark.

Memphis fans are pumped to get Tarrant.

Josh was run out of NC State and Morgan was coming off a huge injury + was going to lose the small minutes he was playing. Let's be real here, we are now starting a freshman PG who was going to ODU if EC didn't give him an offer. Oh and we have no backup PG. This is year five of EC, we should be building depth not replacing half the roster.

You ever consider that it is more about scheme, roster and coaching in regards to Stark's numbers? We shall see how it plays out but having him on the roster would make TU better, that cannot be denied.

Losing Stark or Pickney wouldn;t be the end of the world, losing both shows something is rotten.

In the end, it will all come down to W/L this year, for fans that is not for the admin.

Serious question, could Pickney come back after this news?
Last edited by mbawavefan12 on Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
puffy
Surge

Profoundwizard wrote:
puffy wrote:Wasn't sure what to think of this until I went over to the other board and saw randymc's comments on Stark's departure. He's as astute an observer on HS hoops recruiting and Tulane basketball as there is on either board.

I'll always be grateful for Stark's 3-point buzzer beater vs Cincy, but at the end of the day it looks like Tulane isn't losing a very efficient offensive player.
The only post I ever remember from Randy is when he said we were going to the NIT after that Cincy win. Never mind the fact that we had zero chance, so I'm not too sure how astute he is.
Well, I've been familiar with randymc and his posts about basketball for about 15 years (!). He seems to be on point with most of his observations; I'll forgive him for missing on that particular hail Mary.

As for the massive number of defections from the program, I'm not sure it's fair to chalk them ALL up to EC. Josh Davis and Ricky Tarrant had the opportunity to transfer into higher profile programs and both took it (and now Tarrant is working on his 3rd school in 4 years).

On paper, I look at who is coming in next season (including Morgan) and compare them to who are leaving...from a talent and measurables standpoint, I think Tulane is better.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

To MBA. ODU is a "basketball" school. In the last 9 years they have been to the NCAA's 4 times.
As far as Stark goes. He did well in CUSA. He didn't in the AAC. We had a better team this year. We played better competition. His game didn't translate. It's not worth getting upset over. If he was our leading scorer and shot 45% and avg less than one turnover a game I'd be upset. He's a good kid and I wish him well. Bottom line at the end of it all he won't have a Tulane degree and we will replace him.
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:To MBA. ODU is a "basketball" school. In the last 9 years they have been to the NCAA's 4 times.
As far as Stark goes. He did well in CUSA. He didn't in the AAC. We had a better team this year. We played better competition. His game didn't translate. It's not worth getting upset over. If he was our leading scorer and shot 45% and avg less than one turnover a game I'd be upset. He's a good kid and I wish him well. Bottom line at the end of it all he won't have a Tulane degree and we will replace him.

Well I'm pi$$ed. If ODU is a standard for our program we are screwed, they won their one bid league and now play in another one bidder with zero exposure. Look around the AAC, this class is improved but behind almost everyone else. I give the staff credit for the players they signed, but we still have an uphill battle in this league and losing both PGs is messed up. I still say that few PGs could overcome the EC scheme and total lack of front court scoring.

Again, it's not Stark it is the fact that we now have a Frosh PG with no depth. We get a 5th year transfer, I will shut up.

Really, I wouldn't be surprised to see another transfer out.

I hope I am over-reacting and everything works out great...........history says no.
dpm wave
Swell

Sooooo, who replaces Von after he leaves at the end of next season?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:To MBA. ODU is a "basketball" school. In the last 9 years they have been to the NCAA's 4 times.

Well I'm pi$$ed. If ODU is a standard for our program we are screwed, they won their one bid league and now play in another one bidder with zero exposure. Look around the AAC, this class is improved but behind almost everyone else. I give the staff credit for the players they signed, but we still have an uphill battle in this league and losing both PGs is messed up. I still say that few PGs could overcome the EC scheme and total lack of front court scoring.

Again, it's not Stark it is the fact that we now have a Frosh PG with no depth. We get a 5th year transfer, I will shut up.

I hope I am over-reacting and everything works out great...........history says no.
This past season ODU
Old Dominion (27-8, RPI: 41) at the end of the 2015 season. NIT Final Four.
In their first year in CUSA ODU made the NIT Final Four in MSG New York. They also beat LSU this season by 9 pts. I know you're pissed but you should at least check it out before knocking our recruiting competition. Yes I'll take that standard.
http://warrennolan.com/basketballs/2015/rpi
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:

This past season ODU
In their first year in CUSA ODU made the NIT Final Four in MSG New York. I know you're pissed but you should at least check it out before knocking our recruiting competition. Yes I'll take that standard.
Pickney was rated higher than Von in every way and had great offers, so there's that.....Tulane and maybe ECU would be the only teams in the AAC who would be happy winning recruitment battles against ODU. They had a nice run recently but its nothing to be overly proud of to beat them out on a last minute recruit. They also return their entire back court, we had a lot more minutes for Von.

Whatever, it's just hard seeing the silver lining with another transfer and a sorry athletic program. I gave my thoughts and am moving on.
Jonathan
Riptide

How many players has Conroy run away? Fire him now.
puffy
Surge

Jonathan wrote:How many players has Conroy run away? Fire him now.
Another question to ask is:

How many of those players have proven themselves to be difference makers at their new programs?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:

This past season ODU
In their first year in CUSA ODU made the NIT Final Four in MSG New York. I know you're pissed but you should at least check it out before knocking our recruiting competition. Yes I'll take that standard.
Pickney was rated higher than Von in every way and had great offers, so there's that.....Tulane and maybe ECU would be the only teams in the AAC who would be happy winning recruitment battles against ODU. They had a nice run recently but its nothing to be overly proud of to beat them out on a last minute recruit. They also return their entire back court, we had a lot more minutes for Von.

Whatever, it's just hard seeing the silver lining with another transfer and a sorry athletic program. I gave my thoughts and am moving on.
As far as rated higher. Pinckney didn't live up to it. Tulane ran Pinckney off. Coaches had him for a entire year they saw him in practice and in games everyday. Stark came out of left field. But he's very replaceable. Guards are a dime a dozen.
I'd swap our entire team for ODU's right now. And that goes for the last 10 years. Taking your anger out by knocking one of our recruits is misguided.
It's good to see us getting Louisiana kids once again. Perry built his program doing that.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:

Josh was run out of NC State and Morgan was coming off a huge injury + was going to lose the small minutes he was playing. Let's be real here, we are now starting a freshman PG who was going to ODU if EC didn't give him an offer. Oh and we have no backup PG. This is year five of EC, we should be building depth not replacing half the roster.

You ever consider that it is more about scheme, roster and coaching in regards to Stark's numbers? We shall see how it plays out but having him on the roster would make TU better, that cannot be denied.

Losing Stark or Pickney wouldn;t be the end of the world, losing both shows something is rotten.

In the end, it will all come down to W/L this year, for fans that is not for the admin.

+1. Getting Morgan had a lot more to do w/his girlfriend than w/EC.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:

This past season ODU

+1. Some want to point out ODU and leave out that our other competition was SELA, Norhtwestern St. and Youngstown St.. It's just not impressive. Especially when you look at his size. Many started to realize that our lack of size at guard last year was a big detriment to the team. Now we just keep going down the same road. But some will go to whatever lengths to try and cover for failed coaches at Tulane.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:

Oh yea. I guess his sister is his girlfriend. We originally recruited him had him then he changed his mind and went to LSU. He and Johnny Jones didn't see eye to eye. That was widely known. Enjoy our recruiting succeess.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:

This past season ODU

+1. Some want to point out ODU and leave out that our other competition was SELA, Norhtwestern St. and Youngstown St.. It's just not impressive. Especially when you look at his size. Many started to realize that our lack of size at guard last year was a big detriment to the team. Now we just keep going down the same road. But some will go to whatever lengths to try and cover for failed coaches at Tulane.
He's the best available point guard in the state. He can play. I don't knock recruits to try and make a coach look bad.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:

Oh yea. I guess his sister is his girlfriend.
That's a sick response. There were reports of it from his recruiting process on.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:

This past season ODU

He's the best available point guard in the state. He can play. I don't knock recruits to try and make a coach look bad.
Pinckney was the best PG in Georgia. We won't know if he can play at this level till next year. As for Julien people are just stating the facts. He is small and was lightly recruited. We all hope he works out but there are certainly red flags that gives one pause.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:

This past season ODU

As far as rated higher. Pinckney didn't live up to it. Tulane ran Pinckney off. Coaches had him for a entire year they saw him in practice and in games everyday. Stark came out of left field. But he's very replaceable. Guards are a dime a dozen.
I'd swap our entire team for ODU's right now. And that goes for the last 10 years. Taking your anger out by knocking one of our recruits is misguided.
It's good to see us getting Louisiana kids once again. Perry built his program doing that.
I think you are really overrating the attractiveness of playing Bball at ODU, nice little run lately but very low on most recruits list. I am sure we couldn't trade their roster if we wanted to do to academics.

I am not bashing the recruit, just making fair assessments and comps. I am very happy EC signed him (said so a few times) but acting like he is this major upgrade before he has arrived on campus (and based on his recruiting) is just not accurate IMO. Again, he was looking at many more minutes at TU, better exposure etc.

As for Pickney, I mean did they in fact run him off? If so was that before Stark was leaving? If they did run him off knowing Stark was gone then that is shameful. If they didn't then that shows they didn't do their due diligence. I mean the kids just a freshman and he did in fact show improvement with his handle and poise. He was HIGHLY recruited, had to have been for a reason. People around here act like all frosh should just walk in and perform, this isn't CUSA.

In the end, we will have to see how it turns out I guess.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:

This past season ODU

Pinckney was the best PG in Georgia. We won't know if he can play at this level till next year. As for Julien people are just stating the facts. He is small and was lightly recruited. We all hope he works out but there are certainly red flags that gives one pause.
That's fine. I'll go by my what my brother in law told me that won state championships coaching against the kid for 4 years vs people that never saw him play at all.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Malik came here because of his sister's great experience. His parents are very happy with their children's choice of Tulane. Now let's get his younger brother next.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:

This past season ODU

That's fine. I'll go by my what my brother in law told me that won state championships coaching against the kid for 4 years vs people that never saw him play at all.
Like yourself. How many of your brother-in-laws players that were touted didn't pan out at the next level? It's a big jump from those small classifications.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

He transferred because of his girlfriend.
Last edited by winwave on Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: That's fine. I'll go by my what my brother in law told me that won state championships coaching against the kid for 4 years vs people that never saw him play at all.

Your brother seems like a wonderful coach but the people who assess talent for a living and get paid millions to do basically all passed. I don't like to denigrate a recruit but there needs to be clarity. I hope your brother in law is right and not every P5/BE/AAC coach. I'd feel a lot better if it was Tim Floyd and not EC making the assessment.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:

This past season ODU

Like yourself. How many of your brother-in-laws players that were touted didn't pan out at the next level? It's a big jump from those small classifications.
I know that. He won because of the team concept over the player. He did well getting 4 kids D1 scholarships from a 1A private expensive highly select educated school. He developed the kids as far as they were capable in high school. It's not so much 1A because CD plays a 5A pre district schedule. He beat Brandon Sampson in the state title game with no D1 players. I value his opinion on players. He told me the kid is a Pointer Williams only he shoots better. To mba do you know how many D1 coaches call him about kids? That's where they get the info. From the high school coach. Floyd calls him a lot. EC calls him a lot. Johnny Jones calls him a lot. A few years ago he had the best 15 year old player in the country a 7 footer. Coach K came to CD to watch the kid. You just don't know what goes on with recruiting.

http://highschoolsports.nola.com/news/a ... hon-maker/

He's a 5 star today.
http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketb ... oll-second
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: I know that. He won because of the team concept over the player. He did well getting 4 kids D1 scholarships from a 1A private expensive highly select educated school. He developed the kids as far as they were capable in high school. It's not so much 1A because CD plays a 5A pre district schedule. He beat Brandon Sampson in the state title game with no D1 players. I value his opinion on basketball talent. He told me the kid is a Pointer Williams only he shoots better. To mba do you know how many D1 coaches call him about kids? That's where they get the info. From the high school coach. Floyd calls him a lot. EC calls him a lot. Johnny Jones calls him a lot. A few years ago he had the best 15 year player in the country a 7 footer. Mike K came to CD to watch the kid. You just don't know what you don't know.
K, then why didn't they listen?

Anyway, I legit would take him over EC in a sec, though I am not sure that is actually a great compliment. I wonder if EC ever reached out to him to be an assistant?

I mean EC was a dam PG in college right? Yet, he can't hold onto or develop (Pickney) one. This discussion is getting a little uncomfortable.

One thing that will be interesting, where Stark ends up and whether there will be the stench of tampering. Coaches now know that Tulane is the place to go if you want to fill out your roster.