Bye bye Jonathan Stark

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
TURVS71
Swell

Guess he doesn't want to play for a good coach like Ed Conroy!

'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
DrBox
Riptide

What?
Okay - just saw it.
Yikes.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Wow, the recent progress is basically destroyed. Who's next?
Just awful being a TU fan. We have no legit PG other than a 170# frosh with no offers.
This is messed up.
How do u lose Pickney and Stark?
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

mbawavefan12 wrote:Wow, the recent progress is basically destroyed. Who's next?
Just awful being a TU fan. We have no legit PG other than a 170# frosh with no offers.
This is messed up.
How do u lose Pickney and Stark?
Stark was very overrated and as a player I'm not sorry to see him go.

But this kind of attrition is just bonkers. This is 4 players transferring two seasons after we had 6 players transfer. I'd say that something stinks, but everyone already knows that's the case.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Something is really rotten in the Hertz Center. Stark was inconsistent, but arguably Tulane's best player. And he hit two huge game winning shots on the road against very quality competition. Conroy has explaining to do. I am very excited about the incoming kids, but the attrition of the last five years is unacceptable!!! I am so sick of all the cr@p happening within Tulane Athletics!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I have to say this came out of left field. I know Pinckney was run off. Don't know the details on Stark as of yet. He's been starting for two consecutive years in a quality basketball league. It could be a number of things. Maybe he and Pinckney were close (maybe roommates just a guess). Maybe it was grade problems, maybe a GF, I don't think he was run off that's for sure.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

No doubt disappointing. I was hoping part of his regression this year was due to a sophomore slump and was hoping he would play better next year. We'll never know now.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Is that 12 players (and counting) transferring out in the past 2.5 years?
Mandeville Wave
High Tide

Nothing surprises me anymore with Tulane. Man, RD has to have dirt on someone.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:No doubt disappointing. I was hoping part of his regression this year was due to a sophomore slump and was hoping he would play better next year. We'll never know now.
+1
I thought perhaps the better competition caught up to him.
Tulane Class of 1981
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Mandeville Wave wrote:Nothing surprises me anymore with Tulane. Man, RD has to have dirt on someone.
OR HE'S DOING EXACTLY WHAT SCOTT COWEN WANTS HIM TO DO, WHICH ALSO PERFECTLY EXPLAINS ALL THE JOB SECURITY.
cajunfanatico
Swell

He said he is taking his "talents elsewhere" and thanked the university :shock:
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
Wave755
Tsunami

cajunfanatico wrote:He said he is taking his "talents elsewhere" and thanked the university :shock:
Thanks, Cajun Troll. :mrgreen:
puffy
Surge

Wasn't sure what to think of this until I went over to the other board and saw randymc's comments on Stark's departure. He's as astute an observer on HS hoops recruiting and Tulane basketball as there is on either board.

I'll always be grateful for Stark's 3-point buzzer beater vs Cincy, but at the end of the day it looks like Tulane isn't losing a very efficient offensive player.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

puffy wrote:Wasn't sure what to think of this until I went over to the other board and saw randymc's comments on Stark's departure. He's as astute an observer on HS hoops recruiting and Tulane basketball as there is on either board.

I'll always be grateful for Stark's 3-point buzzer beater vs Cincy, but at the end of the day it looks like Tulane isn't losing a very efficient offensive player.
I'm not sure whether the player was good or not is the point. The point is that's 12 defections in 3 years.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:No doubt disappointing. I was hoping part of his regression this year was due to a sophomore slump and was hoping he would play better next year. We'll never know now.
+1
I thought perhaps the better competition caught up to him.
Agreed. That's why I said part of the problem. No doubt he was going up against better competition.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
wavemania
Surge

Considering the minutes he had logged, and how pathetic the coaching is, I'm sure he wore down. Why are most of you knocking the players when we all know it is the f&cking coach
Profoundwizard
Swell

puffy wrote:Wasn't sure what to think of this until I went over to the other board and saw randymc's comments on Stark's departure. He's as astute an observer on HS hoops recruiting and Tulane basketball as there is on either board.

The only post I ever remember from Randy is when he said we were going to the NIT after that Cincy win. Never mind the fact that we had zero chance, so I'm not too sure how astute he is.
Jonathan
Riptide

Is Conroy crazy running all these player off like Stark, Three last year and three this year. Fitts wake up. After a year.Do not be another Cowen. retire Dickson now and Fire CJ and Conroy. Why do the want to leave.. This guy was our best point guard.Why did Conroy drive him off as the other nine players
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

jonathanjoseph wrote:

I'm not sure whether the player was good or not is the point. The point is that's 12 defections in 3 years.
It's sad but it's a reality in today's game. Either the kids think they are better than they are, or the coaches think they can improve the roster getting rid of some. I'm positive EC ran off Josh H and Keith Pinckney. But Stark probably left on his own. Obviously Tarrant didn't benefit by sitting out a year and going to Alabama. And Stark did a good job his freshman year replacing him. The AAC competition negatively effected Stark's play this year. Stark was a turnover machine (he led the team with 40 turnovers in 18 conference games) and his FG% was horrible (see below). Josh Davis graduated so that's a little different. Tarrant has now graduated from Bama and so he's trying his luck at Memphis. The other guys that left Tulane were backups at best. They couldn't play in the AAC. We didn't miss any of them. And I couldn't tell you their names without Google. With that said I wish Stark would have stayed, but the kid coming in is better. We will lack some depth at the PG unless we pick up another guy. EC has to get to post season this upcoming season (NIT at the least) and at least go .500 in the AAC.

Look at the bottom three of this (they are all gone now):

FIELD GOAL PERCENT in AAC games
Player Made Att FG Pct
Smith, Ryan 17 33 .515
Osetkowski, D 48 98 .490
Hook, Jay 65 160 .406
Mack, Kajon 18 48 .375
Drye, Tre 30 81 .370
Dabney, Louis 82 224 .366
Henson, Payton 31 87 .356
Pinckney, K 14 41 .341
Stark, Jonathn 67 200 .335
Hearlihy, Josh 8 27 .296
Tulane Class of 1981
Jonathan
Riptide

Fire Conroy. Aporoximatelt twelve great players walked out on Conroy in the last few years. I have never seen this in college basketball. Fire him and Dickson now.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote:

The only post I ever remember from Randy is when he said we were going to the NIT after that Cincy win. Never mind the fact that we had zero chance, so I'm not too sure how astute he is.
+1. It's clearly the offense. It's not efficient against quality competition.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Well said by FW on the other site:

I don't care if it "happens everywhere." It doesn't happen at every single school, year in and year out. It happens here year in and year out because of Ed Conroy.
Bigschtick
Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote:

Exactly!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Stark dealt with a poor scheme that was eaten up by the better coaches and players in the AAC. TU also had next to nothing inside so defenses just keyed on the perimeter guards.

Now we have a Frosh PG who looks good but weighs 170#'s and his best offer was Old Dominion. To say he is better than Stark is highly speculative and most importantly he is a Freshman. Pickney had much better offers and we saw how that worked out.

As for Tarrant, he got to play one year in the SEC and now will be starting in front of 15k people for one of the premier programs in the AAC. Memphis just signed a top 15 class and has a solid starting five. I'd say that is better than playing two more years for EC in front of 500 people.

This is bad folks, I don't agree with the sugar coating. An NIT birth would be a huge surprise, another year of EC would not be. I hate to be pessimistic but it's always 1 step forward than one step back with this program.