Ken Berthelot

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
Jonathan
Riptide

Curious why in Ken Berthelot not in the Tulane Hall of Fame.
Ken Berthelot gave 15 years of his life as the voice of the Tulane Green Wave and was a great representative of the university! If Bill Curl ,sports information director at Tulane has been admitted Ken should be in this year. Let Dickson,Fitts ,Darryl Berger and Graf know.
Last edited by Jonathan on Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Jonathan wrote:Ken Berthelot gave 15 years of his life as the voice of the Tulane Green Wave and was a great representative of the university!
Wow. You brought up a good point and suggestion. No he's not in yet.
http://www.tulanegreenwave.com/ot/hall-of-fame.html
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Jonathan
Riptide

I cannot contact Rick Dickson because I cannot stand him. He has never returned my telephone calls or emails over mega years unlike Kevin White and Chet Gladchuck who would take me out to lunch and tell me about the status of the program. Anyone friendly with Rick please contact him on this as Ken deserves this honor. Also contact Graf for his help.
Wavetime
Swell

Jonathan wrote:I cannot contact Rick Dickson because I cannot stand him. He has never returned my telephone calls or emails over mega years unlike Kevin White and Chet Gladchuck who would take me out to lunch and tell me about the status of the program. Anyone friendly with Rick please contact him on this as Ken deserves this honor. Also contact Graf for his help.

I will say this much, RD can't pick me out of a crowd, but he has returned both of my emails.
Jonathan
Riptide

As a minor donor did Rick Dickson take you out to lunch? Kevin White and Chet Gladchuk would sit with regular season ticket holders at baseball,basketball and football games to discuss Tulane athletics. They both would invite you out to lunch Uptown. All you had to be was a Tulane alumni or supporter not depending on donation but only support for Tulane. Another world. Cowen ,Dickson and now Fitts will not return your emails or phone calls unless donating mega dollars to get their attention. I respect our two previous AD's that treated Tulane supporters that just purchase a ticket equal to multi million dollar donors. Dickson,Cowen and Fitts are a major disappointment. That is why our men's basketball program under Conroy for five years is the worst in the nation and football with three wins is going fast. Typical Tulane.
Last edited by Jonathan on Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wavetime
Swell

No he did not. However, he did offer my father his court side tickets. My dad is 84 and a Tulane Alum. He had a heart attack at a Tulane football game (S. Alabama). I emailed RD to let him know how wonderful of a job the Superdome and Acadian Ambulance staff did with my dad and he responded and offered his tickets. His email was very kind and thoughtful. I don't agree with many of his decisions, but I do respect him as a person because of the way he has treated my dad and my family.
Jonathan
Riptide

Rick Dickson I agree is a very nice person,a gentleman and has raised mega millions for Tulane athletics, but his coaching selections for men's basketball, Finney,Dickerson and Conroy and football Toledo and maybe CJ are the worst in the nation.. It is costing Tulane millions and zero support. These are our two money sports and it is dragging down the AAC with its losses. Yulman stadium and Fogelman arena will be empty next year like the Superdome with no TAF support. We want winners after 50 years.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

An Honor long over due.... Ken went way beyond his job responsibilities in promoting Tulane...prior to and after WWL.. he had a radio station network east to Tallahassae, Fl...west to Beaumont TX...north to Memphis, Shreveport...Monroe...Montgomery, AL ... and many points in between... He also took the responsibility of selling advertising to defray the cost of the WWL agreement by paying WWL in advance for the rights to the time slots, thus making WWL "whole" with zero liabilities by broadcasting Tulane games...something that had not been done / attempted / guaranteed before in the industry
Last edited by golfnut69 on Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
ajcalhoun
Swell

I don't have a vote but if I did he'd get it.
God Bless Everyone!
Dave breslin
Swell

RD maybe a nice guy but a terrible AD. A bump on a log is a bump on a log.
Bigschtick
Riptide

Dave breslin wrote:RD maybe a nice guy but a terrible AD. A bump on a log is a bump on a log.

Yeah, a real nice guy telling fans to "go across the street" if they don't like it.
Supa-dupa nice guy for sure thumbing his nose at alumni and supporters!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
Show Me
Tsunami

Wake up Dickson. Get Berthelot in the Hall!
Dave breslin
Swell

I said RD MAYBE a nice guy. Personally, I think he's a useless turd with the personality of a slug. The few things he's done (handling the tragedy at Tulsa for example) has been done well. The operation of a successful athletic program is abysmal. But he has been here for 15 years. May tell us something about his boss. Some people just aren't successful at winning. Cowen was a whiner not a winner.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Dave breslin wrote:I said RD MAYBE a nice guy. Personally, I think he's a useless turd with the personality of a slug. The few things he's done (handling the tragedy at Tulsa for example) has been done well. The operation of a successful athletic program is abysmal. But he has been here for 15 years. May tell us something about his boss. Some people just aren't successful at winning. Cowen was a whiner not a winner.
to reflect on a song..."lookin'....back, on the memories..." I now wish I had thrown SC out of the press box window of SMU's new stadium when we played there... I still remember SC telling Kenny he would fire him, if he asked about an on campus stadium ever again ... I should have done the right thing and threw is fat azz out of the press / radio suite
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Dave breslin
Swell

Golfnut, we would have made more money in donations for your bail than RD could beg for . Your defense would have been a mercy killing and self defense of a university. That could work in Dallas .
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Dave breslin wrote:Golfnut, we would have made more money in donations for your bail than RD could beg for . Your defense would have been a mercy killing and self defense of a university. That could work in Dallas .
And you can bet the house his fat azz would NOT have been taken to "Parkland Hospital" but a "CVS medi clinic" !!!!
sader24
Tsunami

Berthelot did a lot for Tulane I'm sure, but he was downright brutal to listen to on the radio.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

sader24 wrote:Berthelot did a lot for Tulane I'm sure, but he was downright brutal to listen to on the radio.
Sader... U may be correct..but Ken had to describe some "brutal" play on the field !!!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote:
sader24 wrote:Berthelot did a lot for Tulane I'm sure, but he was downright brutal to listen to on the radio.
Sader... U may be correct..but Ken had to describe some "brutal" play on the field !!!
Ken is a great guy. However sader is correct. It wasn't a good product at the time but what he references were the many,many mistaken calls he gave over the years.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
ajcalhoun
Swell

winwave wrote: the many,many mistaken calls he gave over the years.
He was just carrying on the tradition of Bruce Miller, God bless him.
God Bless Everyone!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

ajcalhoun wrote:
Very true. Though at least Bruce had Wayne and they did make bad times bearable.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
IM42lane
Swell

winwave wrote:
ajcalhoun wrote:
Very true. Though at least Bruce had Wayne and they did make bad times bearable.
Wayne Mack will ALWAYS be missed by me. When he joined Bruce in the broadcast booth, the overall product definitely picked up.

Todd G. really could use a Wayne Mack on his broadcasts. I know that many of you like TG, and I think that he is OK, too, but another Wayne Mack-type in the booth would pick up the broadcasts quality immensely.
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
Ken is a great guy. However sader is correct. It wasn't a good product at the time but what he references were the many,many mistaken calls he gave over the years.

I guess Ken missed me more than he thought when I left NOLA to go back to Texas !!!!!... The only times I could, help was when they played in Houston or Dallas and I am sure those broadcast were perfect !!!?!?!?!?!?!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

while not a player or coach he was a long time employee...and besides, most are bored with the lead up to the first game

Did ya know his Daughter was Miss Louisiana in 2007... thank goodness she looks like her Mom !!!!

one other tidbid of useless trivia info...Many have heard of the "Birdman of Alcatraz"...but did ya know all of his studies regarding Birds of which he publish several books was done while he was a prisoner at Ft Leavenworth Kansas...he was letter transferred to Alcatraz and of course the movie title sounded better than the "Birdman of Fort Leavenworth"

and FYI....contrary to what most believe, Mickey Mantle did NOT hit the first HR in the Astrodome... Jim Wynn, the "toy cannon" hit a dinger the night before in a game versus the Houston Colt 45's triple A team...that's right boys and girls, the original name of the Houston franchise was Colt 45's...not Astros

everyone can go back to dreaming of a Tulane victory on Thursday....that is all
Jonathan
Riptide

Can someone nominate Ken for the Tulane Hall of Fame?