Dylan O

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Glad others are recognizing his talents. Can't believe some said all he gets is garbage baskets. With good coaching he can become a real force.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
LSU Law Greenie
Surge

He is by far the MVP of this season!
My name is T J Acosta and I approve this message!
Profoundwizard
Swell

I don't know about MVP but he's bee a real pleasant surprise
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Need to keep signing guys like him.
Tulane Class of 1981
DrBox
Riptide

winwave wrote:Glad others are recognizing his talents. Can't believe some said all he gets is garbage baskets. With good coaching he can become a real force.
He had a monster jam that tied the Cincy game at 47.
MicMan
Swell

winwave wrote:Glad others are recognizing his talents. Can't believe some said all he gets is garbage baskets. With good coaching he can become a real force.
Where, at TU? Because Conroy has been turning out All-American big men.
TXWave88
Surge

He needs to get more minutes than the starters. He may be getting more minutes actually, but I am not sure why he comes off the bench. Is it a foul trouble issue or is it to create a spark? At our current state, we don't have the ability to hold guys on the bench to come in and create a spark. We are not the San Antonio Spurs with a Manu Giniobili.

He has impressed me. He is the only big guy we have on the roster that has good feet and a soft touch. The most obvious difference between Tulane and the top teams in the AAC is the athleticism of the big guys. Our big guys are not athletic whatsoever. We have some statues out there. None of our bigs can get off the ground or move their feet fast enough so they have to work twice as hard on defense and rebounds. It has been real obvious against the top conference opponents. That is what we need and hopefully that's what we get with this class. Of course that is like the golden unicorn to ncaa recruiting, but we definitely need improvement there.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

TXWave88 wrote:He needs to get more minutes than the starters. He may be getting more minutes actually, but I am not sure why he comes off the bench. Is it a foul trouble issue or is it to create a spark? At our current state, we don't have the ability to hold guys on the bench to come in and create a spark. We are not the San Antonio Spurs with a Manu Giniobili.

He has impressed me. He is the only big guy we have on the roster that has good feet and a soft touch. The most obvious difference between Tulane and the top teams in the AAC is the athleticism of the big guys. Our big guys are not athletic whatsoever. We have some statues out there. None of our bigs can get off the ground or move their feet fast enough so they have to work twice as hard on defense and rebounds. It has been real obvious against the top conference opponents. That is what we need and hopefully that's what we get with this class. Of course that is like the golden unicorn to ncaa recruiting, but we definitely need improvement there.
He started a few games and didn't respond well so EC gave up on the idea. We need someone to help once we take out a few starters.

BTW, Henson can move but he is more of a stretch 4. I respect the sacrifices that student athletes have to make, but Smith is not an AAC caliber player, he might not even be a D1 athlete.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

TXWave88 wrote:He needs to get more minutes than the starters. He may be getting more minutes actually, but I am not sure why he comes off the bench. Is it a foul trouble issue or is it to create a spark? At our current state, we don't have the ability to hold guys on the bench to come in and create a spark. We are not the San Antonio Spurs with a Manu Giniobili.

He will start tonight for the second game in a row so that issue has finally been dealt with.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

He gets the most mins. at his position. He's started in the past but didn't do as well as coming off the bench. Smith is just too slow and can't score around the basket when guarded. O does tend to get in foul trouble though.
Tulane Class of 1981
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

winwave wrote:

He will start tonight for the second game in a row so that issue has finally been dealt with.
Yeah, but it's not great that it took us until almost March to figure out who should start at center, especially when most of us armchair types were able to see it from a mile away.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

jonathanjoseph wrote:
winwave wrote:

Yeah, but it's not great that it took us until almost March to figure out who should start at center, especially when most of us armchair types were able to see it from a mile away.
Yep, we are in armchairs and the coaching staff is in hammocks, and to and insult to injury, in a coma as well !!!!...and FYI my "armchair recliner" has massaging capabilities.....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Osetkowski has the 4th highest mins on the team. 21.3 per game. That's all that matters. Smith has 11 mins a game. If you're in the top 5 in minutes you are no different than a starter in basketball. He gets in foul trouble that's why he usually doesn't start. We need him in the game more at the end. He has done better coming off the bench than starting so far.
Tulane Class of 1981
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:Osetkowski has the 4th highest mins on the team. 21.3 per game. That's all that matters. Smith has 11 mins a game. If you're in the top 5 in minutes you are no different than a starter in basketball. He gets in foul trouble that's why he usually doesn't start. We need him in the game more at the end. He has done better coming off the bench than starting so far.
He's been substituted out a number of times in crunch time in games that I've seen. Managing the lineup and player rotations seem to be a clear weak spot for Conroy.
DrBox
Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Osetkowski has the 4th highest mins on the team. 21.3 per game. That's all that matters. Smith has 11 mins a game. If you're in the top 5 in minutes you are no different than a starter in basketball. He gets in foul trouble that's why he usually doesn't start. We need him in the game more at the end. He has done better coming off the bench than starting so far.
He's been substituted out a number of times in crunch time in games that I've seen. Managing the lineup and player rotations seem to be a clear weak spot for Conroy.
Only for defense; they sub Hearlihy or Henson in on D in the last 2 minutes.
In the Cincy game, O was pulled after Cincy's last Timeout; Henson slipped the screen then inexplicably left his man who then grabbed a pass for an easy layup; drye came over for weakside help but it was too late.
S
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It probably was done initially b/c Smith had been here a year and had some experience. I'm not agreeing w/that rationale but just saying what was probably going through EC's mind. It also allowed him to watch and learn before going in. It doesn't have anything to do w/foul trouble. Drye has more fouls than him. He commits less than 3 fouls per game. He should have been inserted long before now. Hopefully it pays off at the end here.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

winwave wrote:It probably was done initially b/c Smith had been here a year and had some experience. I'm not agreeing w/that rationale but just saying what was probably going through EC's mind. It also allowed him to watch and learn before going in. It doesn't have anything to do w/foul trouble. Drye has more fouls than him. He commits less than 3 fouls per game. He should have been inserted long before now. Hopefully it pays off at the end here.

Also, someone has to fill minutes at center when DO is not in, rather have smith playing with the starters and taking up space but not having to perform offensively. Him playing with non starters will make his deficiencies look worse, just a thought.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

jonathanjoseph wrote:
That's the offense/defense substitution that all coaches do in the last two min. Some guys are brought in just to commit fouls.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:
winwave wrote:It probably was done initially b/c Smith had been here a year and had some experience. I'm not agreeing w/that rationale but just saying what was probably going through EC's mind. It also allowed him to watch and learn before going in. It doesn't have anything to do w/foul trouble. Drye has more fouls than him. He commits less than 3 fouls per game. He should have been inserted long before now. Hopefully it pays off at the end here.

Also, someone has to fill minutes at center when DO is not in, rather have smith playing with the starters and taking up space but not having to perform offensively. Him playing with non starters will make his deficiencies look worse, just a thought.
Good point.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Drye has more fouls because he's played more mins. Osetkowski leads the team in games fouled out at 2 and he only plays half the game. He avgs 4.31 fouls per 40 mins. And that leads the team.
Last edited by tpstulane on Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
Drye has more fouls because he's played more mins. Osetkowski leads the team in games fouled out at 2 and he only plays half the game.
Drye plays 3 minutes more a game. He's only fouled out twice. We have several others who fouled out once. He averages less than 2.5 fouls per game. It's not part of the equation as to why he wasn't a starter sooner.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Drye has more fouls because he's played more mins. Osetkowski leads the team in games fouled out at 2 and he only plays half the game.
Drye plays 3 minutes more a game. He's only fouled out twice. We have several others who fouled out once. It's not part of the equation as to why he wasn't a starter sooner.
It's part of the reason. He avgs 4.31 fouls per 40 mins. That's the highest on the team. That's why EC has to be careful with when he plays. Needs him more at the end of games.
Tulane Class of 1981
Profoundwizard
Swell

I don't mind him coming off the bench because as tps said he's getting the most minutes. That's what matters, and we need him out there with the second unit because there's not enough scoring without him.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Drye plays 3 minutes more a game. He's only fouled out twice. We have several others who fouled out once. It's not part of the equation as to why he wasn't a starter sooner.
It's part of the reason. He avgs 4.31 fouls per 40 mins. That's the highest on the team. That's why EC has to be careful with when he plays. Needs him more at the end of games.
Drye would be averaging almost as many and he has started all year.