Andy Cannizaro

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

We look worse this year than last. That NCAA transfer rule/tuition argument has nothing to do with:

- Pitching
- Fielding
- Errors

And all of those are 100% coaching. We were better under Pierce. TJ is not the answer.

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
Profoundwizard
Swell

HoustonWave wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 9:16 am
capwave wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:38 pm I hate to burst anyone’s bubble but TD is in no way getting rid of Jewett As a matter of fact he thinks the guy hung the moon and doesn’t understand why the fans are so hard on him. This changed my opinion of Dannen as being a competent AD.
If Dannen can't understand why so many fans are down on TJ, tell him to come watch a few games, and then maybe he will understand. Short of that, tell him to look at the W/L record--either should clearly help him understand why we're down on TJ. Maybe the Tulane AD office has a curse on it, and anyone who sits in it loses objectivity, or the ability to see the obvious. In typical Tulane style, I guess we'll just have to gnash our teeth for a couple more years until Dannen gets his wake-up call on TJ.
Dannen also doesn’t understand why fans have bad things to say about Dickson. That’s what changed my opinion of him.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

I would be absolutely shocked if prim and proper Tulane hired AC. Again, IMO the only way it happens is if a donor steps up big time, pays off TJ and pitches in for AC's salary.

I do agree that AC would be a great hire however.
Jaxwave
Swell

Profoundwizard wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 5:24 am
Jaxwave wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:55 pm Guy, my honest opinion is it makes no difference who the coach is. The NCAA rule changes regarding transfers and scholarships along with Tulane's high tuition will hinder the program forever. We can all hope and dream and pray but my opinion is we're done as a real contender in baseball. May catch lightning and make a regional every few years but that will be the exception going forward.
For what it's worth, due to the gym, I'm not optimistic that basketball will get much better buy I do think if we can keep Fritz for a lengthy period we can be a bowl team most years. Never thought I'd ever say that.
Then you are f**cking clueless. It’s not a coincidence that when David Pierce was here the team was good. He’s a very good coach. If you’re paying any attention at all, it’s obvious that it matters who the coach is.
PW, would you like to bet me $10,000 per year going forward on Tulane making the NCAAs? Sure a coach may make a difference in whether the team is close or just crap. My point is that there's not many guys out there who will make a difference that would even take the job under our present circumstances. Recruiting is too limited by academics and tuition unless Tulane administration ponies up with additional scholarship layers of some type. At that point, we're back in the game.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Jaxwave wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 12:36 pm PW, would you like to bet me $10,000 per year going forward on Tulane making the NCAAs? Sure a coach may make a difference in whether the team is close or just crap. My point is that there's not many guys out there who will make a difference that would even take the job under our present circumstances. Recruiting is too limited by academics and tuition unless Tulane administration ponies up with additional scholarship layers of some type. At that point, we're back in the game.
Yet David Pierce came in and took us to the tournament twice in two years. Twice in two years. How'd we manage to hire Pierce? The circumstances are no worse now than they were when he was hired.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Jaxwave
Swell

I ask again, moving forward, would anyone put $10,000 annually on Tulane making the NCAAs regardless of who the coach is? Or would you take the bet on not making the NCAAs?
I'd like to be wrong on this but I would have to bet the No postseason option.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Jaxwave wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 1:47 pm I ask again, moving forward, would anyone put $10,000 annually on Tulane making the NCAAs regardless of who the coach is? Or would you take the bet on not making the NCAAs?
I'd like to be wrong on this but I would have to bet the No postseason option.
Not with this staff I wouldn’t. I’ll wait and see who is next Tulane coach before betting. I’d gamble if we had Riser or AC. At least in year 2.
Pierce did it 2 for 2. And won the AAC regular season in his 2nd year. It’s possible. Now getting to Omaha is going to be much more difficult.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

DfromCT wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 1:44 pm
Jaxwave wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 12:36 pm PW, would you like to bet me $10,000 per year going forward on Tulane making the NCAAs? Sure a coach may make a difference in whether the team is close or just crap. My point is that there's not many guys out there who will make a difference that would even take the job under our present circumstances. Recruiting is too limited by academics and tuition unless Tulane administration ponies up with additional scholarship layers of some type. At that point, we're back in the game.
Yet David Pierce came in and took us to the tournament twice in two years. Twice in two years. How'd we manage to hire Pierce? The circumstances are no worse now than they were when he was hired.
Pierce did a fantastic job! Helluva coach. To be honest though, in my oppinnion he had Rogers and Alemais....each one of those guys was worth 5 wins each, but even if they were only worth 2 wins each that still puts us at only 35 wins or so. We won 41 games in 2016, without those 2 we probably win 31-35 and even pierce would be setting at home during post season play..
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Profoundwizard wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 9:36 am
HoustonWave wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 9:16 am
capwave wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:38 pm I hate to burst anyone’s bubble but TD is in no way getting rid of Jewett As a matter of fact he thinks the guy hung the moon and doesn’t understand why the fans are so hard on him. This changed my opinion of Dannen as being a competent AD.
If Dannen can't understand why so many fans are down on TJ, tell him to come watch a few games, and then maybe he will understand. Short of that, tell him to look at the W/L record--either should clearly help him understand why we're down on TJ. Maybe the Tulane AD office has a curse on it, and anyone who sits in it loses objectivity, or the ability to see the obvious. In typical Tulane style, I guess we'll just have to gnash our teeth for a couple more years until Dannen gets his wake-up call on TJ.
Dannen also doesn’t understand why fans have bad things to say about Dickson. That’s what changed my opinion of him.
Wow!! Just wow. Maybe with these ADs it's a Brotherhood Of The Bell kind of thing.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Profoundwizard
Swell

Jaxwave wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 12:36 pm
Profoundwizard wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 5:24 am
Jaxwave wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:55 pm Guy, my honest opinion is it makes no difference who the coach is. The NCAA rule changes regarding transfers and scholarships along with Tulane's high tuition will hinder the program forever. We can all hope and dream and pray but my opinion is we're done as a real contender in baseball. May catch lightning and make a regional every few years but that will be the exception going forward.
For what it's worth, due to the gym, I'm not optimistic that basketball will get much better buy I do think if we can keep Fritz for a lengthy period we can be a bowl team most years. Never thought I'd ever say that.
Then you are f**cking clueless. It’s not a coincidence that when David Pierce was here the team was good. He’s a very good coach. If you’re paying any attention at all, it’s obvious that it matters who the coach is.
PW, would you like to bet me $10,000 per year going forward on Tulane making the NCAAs? Sure a coach may make a difference in whether the team is close or just crap. My point is that there's not many guys out there who will make a difference that would even take the job under our present circumstances. Recruiting is too limited by academics and tuition unless Tulane administration ponies up with additional scholarship layers of some type. At that point, we're back in the game.
That would be a retarded bet. I know the coach we have right now sucks, so obviously I’m not taking it.
If David Pierce was the coach, I’d take it in a heartbeat. He’s never missed a regional
Profoundwizard
Swell

RollWaveRoll wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 2:31 pm
Pierce did a fantastic job! Helluva coach. To be honest though, in my oppinnion he had Rogers and Alemais....each one of those guys was worth 5 wins each, but even if they were only worth 2 wins each that still puts us at only 35 wins or so. We won 41 games in 2016, without those 2 we probably win 31-35 and even pierce would be setting at home during post season play..
You’re making those numbers up. There are no WAR type stats in college baseball, you’re guessing. You have no idea. Alemais missed 9 games with an injury too and we managed just fine.
Also Alemais and especially Rogers in 2015 were not as good in 2015. Still made a regional
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

Profoundwizard wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 5:19 pm
RollWaveRoll wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 2:31 pm
You’re making those numbers up. There are no WAR type stats in college baseball, you’re guessing. You have no idea. Alemais missed 9 games with an injury too and we managed just fine.
Also Alemais and especially Rogers in 2015 were not as good in 2015. Still made a regional
lol of course i was making them up, i was ball pakring thats why i gave two scenarios, but you are definitely worth wins especially when you are both tops in conference at your position and tops in country....2 wins is extremely conservative for those 2 players...probably more like 5 like i said. Both were playing in 2015 werent they? they were both worth wins that year two...without them in 15 we don't make it either.
Profoundwizard
Swell

5 wins in a season where Alemais played 53 games is very aggressive.

Mike Trout is on pace for the greatest WAR season in MLB history and through 44 games he’s only been worth 3.5 wins.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Alemais and Rogers were difference makers without question. We didn't have the same team last year and it wasn't Regional worthy going into it. Same thing this year from a talent perspective. Pierce and his staff threw their hands up at recruiting here. That said we have enough talent to have had winning seasons the last two years. TJ needs to improve his recruiting and he and his staff's coaching.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Profoundwizard
Swell

winwave wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 5:48 pm Alemais and Rogers were difference makers without question. We didn't have the same team last year and it wasn't Regional worthy going into it. Same thing this year from a talent perspective. Pierce and his staff threw their hands up at recruiting here. That said we have enough talent to have had winning seasons the last two years. TJ needs to improve his recruiting and he and his staff's coaching.
The folks at D1 baseball had us in their preseason regional projections in 2017. They know more about college baseball than you and me. I’ll defer to them.
The coaches in the AAC picked us to finish 3rd in 2017. They know more than you and me...
Show Me
Tsunami

Gee maybe if Jewett had Owens and Bogey he’d win also. He’s responsible for getting talent last I checked. More excuses for a team that has been excellent in finding ways to lose. The talent is better than the results we’re been getting. For Christ sake we haven’t been this bad in 54 years.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 7:51 pm
winwave wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 5:48 pm Alemais and Rogers were difference makers without question. We didn't have the same team last year and it wasn't Regional worthy going into it. Same thing this year from a talent perspective. Pierce and his staff threw their hands up at recruiting here. That said we have enough talent to have had winning seasons the last two years. TJ needs to improve his recruiting and he and his staff's coaching.
The folks at D1 baseball had us in their preseason regional projections in 2017. They know more about college baseball than you and me. I’ll defer to them.
The coaches in the AAC picked us to finish 3rd in 2017. They know more than you and me...
LOL. No they don't. As if they watch all 297 teams in person They haven't watched our team for 6 decades like I have. They have always given our team a lot of love. They are behind the times and the harsh reality of the last decade.
Last edited by winwave on Fri May 18, 2018 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 10:45 pm Gee maybe if Jewett had Owens and Bogey he’d win also. He’s responsible for getting talent last I checked. More excuses for a team that has been excellent in finding ways to lose. The talent is better than the results we’re been getting. For Christ sake we haven’t been this bad in 54 years.
Like I said above he's responsible for recruiting. Try again.
Profoundwizard
Swell

winwave wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 11:00 pm
Profoundwizard wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 7:51 pm
LOL. No they don't. As if they watch all 297 teams in person They haven't watched our team for 6 decades like I have. They have always given our team a lot of love. They are behind the times and the harsh reality of the last decade.
They don’t need to see all 297 teams to know more about college baseball than you or me. They definitely know more than you.
The coaches in our conference as well.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Bullshit. The record is clear. We didn't have Regional talent anymore. That doesn't mean TJ is the answer but at this point it's not all his fault.
Show Me
Tsunami

Ok we get it. It’s the worst talent Tulane baseball has had in 54 years. :roll:
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I also said above we need better coaching. Try again.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The bottom line is that I've been numbed by the last decade of failure. I'm also resigned to the fact that Tulane is not going to fire anyone after two years unless there's a scandal. I would hope that if year 3 is like these first two they would step up and make a change but again with it being Tulane I'm not even certain they'd do that.

As far as replacements I don't have a problem if it's AC or Riser or Mohl. However I would note that this all Tulane mindset helped bring the program down. It's still a somewhat attractive job and it should be open to a national search. As to AC specifically he hasn't proven anything as a coach despite some wanting to claim they just know he is. This is his first team that he had to mold for the whole offseason. It hasn't lived up to MSU standards. I said he made a mistake when he hired Gaut. Again that all Tulane mentality is a problem. People need to keep an open mind. IF TD is a good AD he should have a list ready for next year.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Jewett’s first hire was going to be Jake but Jake turned him down. It was too soon for him.
He did a great job in his scouting position and made many contacts. His recruiting with all the restrictions at Tulane was superior as illustrated by his last class. He’s now is a vital part of Miss State’s success and has been given more and more responsibilities and he hasn’t even been there a year yet.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

If that's true it would have just been one more mistake by TJ. . MSU isn't having any great success that he's been vital to. It wouldn't be the least bit surprising to see him let go when the season ends.