Andy Cannizaro

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

chain gang x man wrote:Hopefully this is a win win situation
Both Tulane and Miss St have winning programs and beat LSU
At 37 yr old Andy could have his eyes on the bigger program MLB
First college assistant
Second college HC
Then working his way to a MLB manager
Just a thought
Not a bad thought. But don't most MLB managers work their way up the ranks through the minor leagues? D1 baseball is considered equivelent to low single A minor league ball. I've never researched this, but I cannot think of a MLB coach that came up through the college ranks. I'm sure there's quite a few

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Bearwave
High Tide

chain gang x man wrote:Hopefully this is a win win situation
Both Tulane and Miss St have winning programs and beat LSU
At 37 yr old Andy could have his eyes on the bigger program MLB
First college assistant
Second college HC
Then working his way to a MLB manager
Just a thought
That's not how this works.
Bears are Ready to Rhule! Sic'em
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

msdos wrote:The more I think about it, the more I agree with Sader. Passing on Cannizaro was an ego-trip power move by Dannen
I cannot disagree more. Sure fans have the right to feel upset that we didn't hire Cannizaro. But we did hire a coach that everyone agrees is a good coach. Labeling the hire an "ego-trip power move" by the AD is ludicrous. If he hired one of his tennis buddies, then it's a different story. Hiring Cannizaro would have been the easy and safe choice. Dannen made the more difficult choice of hiring the candidate he felt would best suit the program. Let's see how it plays out (especially since Jewitt has yet to coach a game) before we label the hiring ANYTHING.
Show Me
Tsunami

It's official.
Ok here's something we can all agree on. It hurts LSU baseball!!!
chain gang x man
Swell

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Show Me wrote:It's official.
Ok here's something we can all agree on. It hurts LSU baseball!!!
greenphantom
Swell

Show Me wrote:
greenphantom wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
DfromCT wrote: You lost me, Tim. I don't see what advantages he would have had at Tulane that he doesn't have at MSU. I see a ton (well, roughly 47,000 of them) at MSU that he doesn't have at Tulane, and that doesn't even bring the SEC or CWS histories into the equation. Help me out and tell me what point I was making for you.
My point is that I thought he got a bad rap from people that thought he wasn't qualified to be our HC. During our last search many said he needed to go prove it at a lower level first then he'd be ok for Tulane and he could come back and coach here. So instead he gets a better job, higher pay, in a better league with more resources at his disposal. And he's already above the Tulane job in the eyes of many. So that's why I'm aggravated. I see him as baseball's Rich Rod. IMO he's a baseball superstar. One that rarely comes around and especially at Tulane. You have to project these things. Some people have vision while others just go by the resume. Just frustrated because I knew AC would get scooped right up as a HC and he has.
Sorry to go off. Nothing personal here. Just felt like I had to defend AC and get the Tulane frustration off my chest. Thanks for listening.
No harm, no foul!

You make a lot of good points. I wish Andy Cannizaro the best. But I also think we have a very good coach in Jewitt. I do understand your frustrations.
+1. Jewett was the right choice. Anyone comparing Jewett to Toledo is clearly clueless. No one wanted Toledo at the time we hired him. Jewett was the top asst in the country and likely Miss St would have chosen him over AC too. Still think AC would have been a great hire too but to say Dannen clearly made a wrong choice could only be spoken by a fool. Wish we would let this topic die and see how this plays out.
No way to tell if Jewett was the right choice. He was the "safe" choice. Not comparing Jewett to Toledo because Toledo had a much better resume. That why the resume argument is weak. You always end up with a so called "safe" choice that may or not pan out. As far as no one wanting Toledo everyone I know with a baseball connection wanted Cannizaro. Dannen is not a baseball guy and never will be. He killed baseball at UNI. Did you even read the D1 article on Cannizaro? Named one of the nation’s elite assistants by D1Baseball.com in only two seasons and his reputation as a coach and recruiter is immaculate. Andy may come back to Tulane one day but never if Dannen remains AD.
Sorry dude but most people that matter had Jewett as the top Asst in the country.
RobertM320
Green Wave

greenphantom wrote:
Show Me wrote:
greenphantom wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
DfromCT wrote: You lost me, Tim. I don't see what advantages he would have had at Tulane that he doesn't have at MSU. I see a ton (well, roughly 47,000 of them) at MSU that he doesn't have at Tulane, and that doesn't even bring the SEC or CWS histories into the equation. Help me out and tell me what point I was making for you.
My point is that I thought he got a bad rap from people that thought he wasn't qualified to be our HC. During our last search many said he needed to go prove it at a lower level first then he'd be ok for Tulane and he could come back and coach here. So instead he gets a better job, higher pay, in a better league with more resources at his disposal. And he's already above the Tulane job in the eyes of many. So that's why I'm aggravated. I see him as baseball's Rich Rod. IMO he's a baseball superstar. One that rarely comes around and especially at Tulane. You have to project these things. Some people have vision while others just go by the resume. Just frustrated because I knew AC would get scooped right up as a HC and he has.
Sorry to go off. Nothing personal here. Just felt like I had to defend AC and get the Tulane frustration off my chest. Thanks for listening.
No harm, no foul!

You make a lot of good points. I wish Andy Cannizaro the best. But I also think we have a very good coach in Jewitt. I do understand your frustrations.
+1. Jewett was the right choice. Anyone comparing Jewett to Toledo is clearly clueless. No one wanted Toledo at the time we hired him. Jewett was the top asst in the country and likely Miss St would have chosen him over AC too. Still think AC would have been a great hire too but to say Dannen clearly made a wrong choice could only be spoken by a fool. Wish we would let this topic die and see how this plays out.
No way to tell if Jewett was the right choice. He was the "safe" choice. Not comparing Jewett to Toledo because Toledo had a much better resume. That why the resume argument is weak. You always end up with a so called "safe" choice that may or not pan out. As far as no one wanting Toledo everyone I know with a baseball connection wanted Cannizaro. Dannen is not a baseball guy and never will be. He killed baseball at UNI. Did you even read the D1 article on Cannizaro? Named one of the nation’s elite assistants by D1Baseball.com in only two seasons and his reputation as a coach and recruiter is immaculate. Andy may come back to Tulane one day but never if Dannen remains AD.
Sorry dude but most people that matter had Jewett as the top Asst in the country.
The truth is, if Andy Cannizaro was just a former Cal Fullerton player instead of a former Tulane player, with the identical resume, and he had been mentioned as a HC candidate, we'd have all been saying "who"? There were a lot of teams that got new coaches after last season. For example, why didn't Texas contact AC if he was the best of the best?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Show Me
Tsunami

Sad to see Tulane fans putting Andy down. Really sad. He just landed a better job. Quit the BS. Baseball IQ's low over here. Let it go.
How Dannen's FB coach working out?
RobertM320
Green Wave

I didn't put him down. I think he's got a great future. I'm just saying that if he wasn't an ex-Tulane player, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

Show Me wrote:Sad to see Tulane fans putting Andy down. Really sad. He just landed a better job. Quit the BS. Baseball IQ's low over here. Let it go.
Better than the ones Dickson hired.
Show Me
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote:
Show Me wrote:Sad to see Tulane fans putting Andy down. Really sad. He just landed a better job. Quit the BS. Baseball IQ's low over here. Let it go.
Better than the ones Dickson hired.
Really too early to tell. We looking like 3-9.
But I trust Sader. He's been around longer than most.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Thanks. Great article! No doubt Dannen wanted to change direction.
Dannen, sources told D1Baserball.com throughout the process, wanted to plot his own path with the coaching search and decided to deviate from the expectation..
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote:Gee just heard this. Congrats to Mr Andy Cannizaro. Smart hire by Mississippi St athletic director. Cannizaro will succeed because he's an exceptional person both on and off the field. How Tulane blew hiring him is beyond my imagination. Jewett better deliver for Dannen's sake because quite a number of former fans and players are watching this closely and are still upset. And I do agree with others saying this is baseball's Rich Rodriguez moment. It's now only a matter of time before it becomes obvious to the Tulane athletic department.
What a slap in the face of Coach Jewitt.
Show Me
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote:
Show Me wrote:Gee just heard this. Congrats to Mr Andy Cannizaro. Smart hire by Mississippi St athletic director. Cannizaro will succeed because he's an exceptional person both on and off the field. How Tulane blew hiring him is beyond my imagination. Jewett better deliver for Dannen's sake because quite a number of former fans and players are watching this closely and are still upset. And I do agree with others saying this is baseball's Rich Rodriguez moment. It's now only a matter of time before it becomes obvious to the Tulane athletic department.
Not meant to be. Dannen is now on watch. He hired CTJ. You can't blame Chris Scelfo for being hired you blame Cowen for that. I don't blame Jewett one bit. But if he fails Dannen will get the blame.
lurker123
Swell

Show Me wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
Not meant to be. Dannen is now on watch. He hired CTJ. You can't blame Chris Scelfo for being hired you blame Cowen for that. I don't blame Jewett one bit. But if he fails Dannen will get the blame.
We all wish AC well at MSU. We all agree that it's too bad it didn't work out for him w/TU. But, Friend, you might wish to reconsider some of your posts because you are treading awfully close to a line where you seem to be rooting for Tulane to lose just so you can say "I was right." Is it that important to you??
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Congrats to AC and I wish him every success....now let's move on
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
McWave
High Tide

"... seem to be rooting for Tulane to lose." That was my impression as well. I loved Andy as a player. Hated that he worked for LSU but one has to make a living. I don't always agree with the Tulane administration. But I am not about to trash Tulane. Tulane has had a week endowment investment history and has relocated it to Connecticut under Cowan's regime. We would have been millions of dollars richer with just average endowment returns but that does not mean I will not support fund raising. Also Tulane and MSU (big state u athletic budget and facilities) are not comparable. Andy should have a better chance and expectations to succeed at MSU that Jewett at Tulane. I wish our endowment had the same lofty expectations for returns as others have for athletics.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Show Me
Tsunami

I'd never root against Tulane. Spent over 3/4's of my life supporting them. It's just that I think Dannen made a mistake. I wanted Kingston over Pierce but Pierce won me over. Jewett is going to have to Show Me also. I will support him regardless. I didn't want Scelfo, Toledo, CJ, Finney, Dickerson and Conroy but supported them all. Andy got a better job at the end of the day and that shipped has now sailed. Bon voyage.
lurker123
Swell

Show Me wrote:I'd never root against Tulane. Spent over 3/4's of my life supporting them. It's just that I think Dannen made a mistake. I wanted Kingston over Pierce but Pierce won me over. Jewett is going to have to Show Me also. I will support him regardless. I didn't want Scelfo, Toledo, CJ, Finney, Dickerson and Conroy but supported them all. Andy got a better job at the end of the day and that shipped has now sailed. Bon voyage.
Thanks for elaborating. AC did get a great job but perhaps I'm biased I don't think it's a better one. As you say, Bon Voyage AC. Roll Wave!!
RobertM320
Green Wave

Show Me wrote:But if he fails Dannen will get the blame.
And rightfully so.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Amazing what P5 money and tons of land because you're located in the middle of nowhere can do for you.
GreenLantern
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote: Amazing what P5 money and tons of land because you're located in the middle of nowhere can do for you.
But at the end of the day, you still have to go back to your dorm room in Starkville, MS.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

GreenLantern wrote:
RobertM320 wrote: Amazing what P5 money and tons of land because you're located in the middle of nowhere can do for you.
But at the end of the day, you still have to go back to your dorm room in Starkville, MS.
They are changing the name from StarkVILLE to StarkVEGAS ... also College Station will changing it's name...The train no longer stops and the school is now a University..so the new name will be Malfunction Junction