Andy Cannizaro

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote:Merge the AC topics !!!
I thought about that but one is a recruiting thread

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Oh yea one more thing. Mississippi St is going to invest $40 million in its baseball program.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

sader24 wrote:We are f'n stupid. We are just an incompetent athletic dept and university. We are a QB away from being 7-1 so we send our QB away who ends up getting snatched up by Nebraska who is #11 in the country and we fumble around with a bunch of guys who can't throw or run. Then we have a tailor made hire of the best player in our baseball history and we screw it up bc our AD wants to prove who is in the drivers seat. Had a chance to have a top notch recruiter and coach be a lifer at our program, an opportunity we'll never get again and we screw it up and he is hired several months later at a premier program in the best league in the country. We are stupid.

What happened between your 1 AM post and your 5 AM Post?

We have a great coach. And, by the way, the best player in the history of the program was one Micah Owings. Sorry, but as good as Cannizaro was, we don't sniff the CWS without Owings.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:Oh yea one more thing. Mississippi St is going to invest $40 million in its baseball program.
And with all of the other intangibles that MSU has to offer, Andy will play with a loaded deck compared to what he would have got had he been named coach at Tulane. To say "whomever gets their team to the CWS first" is the better hire, is absolute BS. I'd spell it out, but you know it's BS. MSU, as a premier program in a much, much MUCH better league, has a whole lot more money to throw away on their baseball program. And not for nothing, but this program did nothing when he was the interim coach.

I wish Andy the best. At the same time, I'm very happy with Coach Jewitt.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Oh yea one more thing. Mississippi St is going to invest $40 million in its baseball program.
And with all of the other intangibles that MSU has to offer, Andy will play with a loaded deck compared to what he would have got had he been named coach at Tulane. To say "whomever gets their team to the CWS first" is the better hire, is absolute BS. I'd spell it out, but you know it's BS. MSU, as a premier program in a much, much MUCH better league, has a whole lot more money to throw away on their baseball program. And not for nothing, but this program did nothing when he was the interim coach.

Spending money doesn't make you win in baseball. LSU won 5 CWS because of Skip Bergman not their old crappy litter box. We went to two CWS in our old stadium. We then spent $12 million on a new stadium and couldn't get back after that. My point is that for a program that was already planning to spend $40 million (Miss St) in its program had the confidence to hire a "Tulane" graduate Andy Cannizaro to run it. That says a lot. But he wasn't experienced enough to coach at Tulane because he wasn't a head coach. He first had to go to a small program like La Tech win, then he'd be ok for the Tulane job. That's what pisses me off.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

Spending money doesn't make you win in baseball. We went to two CWS in our old stadium. We then spent $12 million on a new stadium and couldn't get back after that. My point is that for a program that was already planning to spend $40 million (Miss St) in its program had the confidence to hire a "Tulane" graduate Andy Cannizaro to run it.
No, but the advantages of being a state school in the SEC spending money cannot be overlooked. How many non-scholarship top rate players are going to choose MSU at $20k/year vs. Tulane at $67k/year? Remember there's only 11 or 12 baseball scholarships available. State schools have a HUGE advantage, especially if you've been to a few CWS's and are in what's widely recognized as the top baseball conference in the country.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

Spending money doesn't make you win in baseball. We went to two CWS in our old stadium. We then spent $12 million on a new stadium and couldn't get back after that. My point is that for a program that was already planning to spend $40 million (Miss St) in its program had the confidence to hire a "Tulane" graduate Andy Cannizaro to run it.
No, but the advantages of being a state school in the SEC spending money cannot be overlooked. How many non-scholarship top rate players are going to choose MSU at $20k/year vs. Tulane at $67k/year? Remember there's only 11 or 12 baseball scholarships available. State schools have a HUGE advantage, especially if you've been to a few CWS's and are in what's widely recognized as the top baseball conference in the country.
You're making my point. I was angry at the people that said we couldn't hire AC because he had not enough experience. They don't know Andy. They only know what is on paper. Yet Miss St hired an AD with a baseball background/coach and the first guy he calls and hires is AC. My point is AC is going to be the baseball Rich Rod for us. Trust me. No knock on Jewett. I like him and hope he wins big. I'm just frustrated because I see Rich Rod all over again.
Coastal Carolina won it all last year and they have no money.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

You're making my point. I was angry at the people that said we couldn't hire AC because he had not enough experience. They don't know Andy. They only know what is on paper. Yet Miss St hired an AD with a baseball background/coach and the first guy he calls and hires is AC. My point is AC is going to be the baseball Rich Rod for us. Trust me. No knock on Jewett. I like him and hope he wins big. I'm just frustrated because I see Rich Rod all over again.
Coastal Carolina won it all last year and they have no money.
You lost me, Tim. I don't see what advantages he would have had at Tulane that he doesn't have at MSU. I see a ton (well, roughly 47,000 of them) at MSU that he doesn't have at Tulane, and that doesn't even bring the SEC or CWS histories into the equation. Help me out and tell me what point I was making for you.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: You lost me, Tim. I don't see what advantages he would have had at Tulane that he doesn't have at MSU. I see a ton (well, roughly 47,000 of them) at MSU that he doesn't have at Tulane, and that doesn't even bring the SEC or CWS histories into the equation. Help me out and tell me what point I was making for you.
My point is that I thought he got a bad rap from people that thought he wasn't qualified to be our HC. During our last search many said he needed to go prove it at a lower level first then he'd be ok for Tulane and he could come back and coach here. So instead he gets a better job, higher pay, in a better league with more resources at his disposal. And he's already above the Tulane job in the eyes of many. So that's why I'm aggravated. I see him as baseball's Rich Rod. IMO he's a baseball superstar. One that rarely comes around and especially at Tulane. You have to project these things. Some people have vision while others just go by the resume. Just frustrated because I knew AC would get scooped right up as a HC and he has.
Sorry to go off. Nothing personal here. Just felt like I had to defend AC and get the Tulane frustration off my chest. Thanks for listening.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Hearing Jake Gautreau may get a look for Andy's spot at LSU. Wow that would be something.
Tulane Class of 1981
Jaxwave
Swell

Is there any thought that had we hired him, he would have then left to go now to Miss. St. Don't let anybody fool you, It's a much better job than Tulane. Higher pay, rabid fans and in that league, just finish fourth in your division and you make the tournament.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Jaxwave wrote:Is there any thought that had we hired him, he would have then left to go now to Miss. St. Don't let anybody fool you, It's a much better job than Tulane. Higher pay, rabid fans and in that league, just finish fourth in your division and you make the tournament.
No chance. He's a Tulane alum. He wanted nothing more to build our program into a dynasty. Tulane was his dream job. New Orleans to Starkville night and day. Better job doesn't always mean you leave. Rick Jones turned down better opportunities to stay at Tulane his love for the school and NOLA trumped all other offers.
Tulane Class of 1981
chain gang x man
Swell

tpstulane wrote:Hearing Jake Gautreau may get a look for Andy's spot at LSU. Wow that would be something.
http://d1baseball.com/news/mississippi- ... nnizvvaro/
Click on Mississippi St to hire Cannizaro on the D1 link

Jake mentioned as possible replacement
Last edited by chain gang x man on Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

chain gang x man wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Hearing Jake Gautreau may get a look for Andy's spot at LSU. Wow that would be something.
http://d1baseball.com/news/mississippi- ... nnizvvaro/

Jake mentioned as possible replacement
Wow! There you go!
Jake was instrumental in bringing in the class that got us to the regionals the last two years.
Tulane Class of 1981
Show Me
Tsunami

Gee just heard this. Congrats to Mr Andy Cannizaro. Smart hire by Mississippi St athletic director. Cannizaro will succeed because he's an exceptional person both on and off the field. How Tulane blew hiring him is beyond my imagination. Jewett better deliver for Dannen's sake because quite a number of former fans and players are watching this closely and are still upset. And I do agree with others saying this is baseball's Rich Rodriguez moment. It's now only a matter of time before it becomes obvious to the Tulane athletic department.
lurker123
Swell

Show Me wrote:Gee just heard this. Congrats to Mr Andy Cannizaro. Smart hire by Mississippi St athletic director. Cannizaro will succeed because he's an exceptional person both on and off the field. How Tulane blew hiring him is beyond my imagination. Jewett better deliver for Dannen's sake because quite a number of former fans and players are watching this closely and are still upset. And I do agree with others saying this is baseball's Rich Rodriguez moment. It's now only a matter of time before it becomes obvious to the Tulane athletic department.
???? I would have been happy if AC had been hired. But let's be factual here: Jewett had a stronger coaching resume than AC has. That was not the case when looking at RR's resume vs CS's in 1998.

Has AC ever been a head coach? Has AC ever been on the staff of a National Champion? How many years of experience does AC have coaching vs. Jewett's? Again I would have been happy if AC had gotten the job but let's not oversell this.

As for Miss St, AC was in the right place at the right time. Head baseball coaches don't move in November. This job opened up because the baseball guy got the AD job. Luck matters too.
Show Me
Tsunami

lurker123 wrote:
Show Me wrote:Gee just heard this. Congrats to Mr Andy Cannizaro. Smart hire by Mississippi St athletic director. Cannizaro will succeed because he's an exceptional person both on and off the field. How Tulane blew hiring him is beyond my imagination. Jewett better deliver for Dannen's sake because quite a number of former fans and players are watching this closely and are still upset. And I do agree with others saying this is baseball's Rich Rodriguez moment. It's now only a matter of time before it becomes obvious to the Tulane athletic department.
???? I would have been happy if AC had been hired. But let's be factual here: Jewett had a stronger coaching resume than AC has. That was not the case when looking at RR's resume vs CS's in 1998.

Has AC ever been a head coach? Has AC ever been on the staff of a National Champion? How many years of experience does AC have coaching vs. Jewett's? Again I would have been happy if AC had gotten the job but let's not oversell this.

As for Miss St, AC was in the right place at the right time. Head baseball coaches don't move in November. This job opened up because the baseball guy got the AD job. Luck matters too.
No even close. The resume argument is for losers. Bob Toledo had a great resume. Not going to waste time trying to explain why Tulane screwed up again. Andy didn't Luck Out. He was going to be a head coach at a major program on the next available spot and it just happened to be today.
The baseball guy obviously knows baseball. Unlike Dannen who let his baseball program at UNI die from lack of funding.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.thegazet ... ent=safari
lurker123
Swell

Show Me wrote:
lurker123 wrote:

No even close. The resume argument is for losers. Bob Toledo had a great resume. Not going to waste time trying to explain why Tulane screwed up again. Andy didn't Luck Out. He was going to be a head coach at a major program on the next available spot and it just happened to be today.
The baseball guy obviously knows baseball. Unlike Dannen who let his baseball program at UNI die from lack of funding.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.thegazet ... ent=safari
I know I know. Resumes matter until they don't. Easy test on all this. Let's see what they do on the field. I wish AC lots of success but I'm not rooting against Tulane because some don't like the hire of yes someone with a stronger resume than AC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
DfromCT wrote: You lost me, Tim. I don't see what advantages he would have had at Tulane that he doesn't have at MSU. I see a ton (well, roughly 47,000 of them) at MSU that he doesn't have at Tulane, and that doesn't even bring the SEC or CWS histories into the equation. Help me out and tell me what point I was making for you.
My point is that I thought he got a bad rap from people that thought he wasn't qualified to be our HC. During our last search many said he needed to go prove it at a lower level first then he'd be ok for Tulane and he could come back and coach here. So instead he gets a better job, higher pay, in a better league with more resources at his disposal. And he's already above the Tulane job in the eyes of many. So that's why I'm aggravated. I see him as baseball's Rich Rod. IMO he's a baseball superstar. One that rarely comes around and especially at Tulane. You have to project these things. Some people have vision while others just go by the resume. Just frustrated because I knew AC would get scooped right up as a HC and he has.
Sorry to go off. Nothing personal here. Just felt like I had to defend AC and get the Tulane frustration off my chest. Thanks for listening.
No harm, no foul!

You make a lot of good points. I wish Andy Cannizaro the best. But I also think we have a very good coach in Jewitt. I do understand your frustrations.
msdos
Swell

The more I think about it, the more I agree with Sader. Passing on Cannizaro was an ego-trip power move by Dannen
greenphantom
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
No harm, no foul!

You make a lot of good points. I wish Andy Cannizaro the best. But I also think we have a very good coach in Jewitt. I do understand your frustrations.
+1. Jewett was the right choice. Anyone comparing Jewett to Toledo is clearly clueless. No one wanted Toledo at the time we hired him. Jewett was the top asst in the country and likely Miss St would have chosen him over AC too. Still think AC would have been a great hire too but to say Dannen clearly made a wrong choice could only be spoken by a fool. Wish we would let this topic die and see how this plays out.
RobertM320
Green Wave

And no one can read the future. Young head coaches make mistakes, no matter how baseball savvy they are. And in the SEC, there's no room for mistakes. For all we know, 5 years from now AC gets fired from MSU and Jewitt moves on to a P5 school, and AC becomes available again. If this is truly his dream job, then he'd put any hurt feelings aside and apply again. And if Dannen is the AD I think he is, he'd give Andy an honest shot at the job if that were to come around. Time to let it go for now.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Show Me
Tsunami

greenphantom wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
No harm, no foul!

+1. Jewett was the right choice. Anyone comparing Jewett to Toledo is clearly clueless. No one wanted Toledo at the time we hired him. Jewett was the top asst in the country and likely Miss St would have chosen him over AC too. Still think AC would have been a great hire too but to say Dannen clearly made a wrong choice could only be spoken by a fool. Wish we would let this topic die and see how this plays out.
No way to tell if Jewett was the right choice. He was the "safe" choice. Not comparing Jewett to Toledo because Toledo had a much better resume. That why the resume argument is weak. You always end up with a so called "safe" choice that may or not pan out. As far as no one wanting Toledo everyone I know with a baseball connection wanted Cannizaro. Dannen is not a baseball guy and never will be. He killed baseball at UNI. Did you even read the D1 article on Cannizaro? Named one of the nation’s elite assistants by D1Baseball.com in only two seasons and his reputation as a coach and recruiter is immaculate. Andy may come back to Tulane one day but never if Dannen remains AD.
chain gang x man
Swell

Hopefully this is a win win situation
Both Tulane and Miss St have winning programs and beat LSU
At 37 yr old Andy could have his eyes on the bigger program MLB
First college assistant
Second college HC
Then working his way to a MLB manager
Just a thought
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

chain gang x man wrote:Hopefully this is a win win situation
Both Tulane and Miss St have winning programs and beat LSU
At 37 yr old Andy could have his eyes on the bigger program MLB
First college assistant
Second college HC
Then working his way to a MLB manager
Just a thought
+1
Tulane Class of 1981