Andy Cannizaro

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 7548
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:14 pm

Profoundwizard wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:If we weren’t supposed to beat Wright St then we must not be favored to win more than 25 games. Winning the Horizon League doesn’t make them a good team.
They have won games in the NCAA Regionals, it makes no difference what conference they are in....
The 2018 Wright State team has won 0 games. Regional or otherwise. The 2017 Wright State squad won 0 regional games as well.
The conference you’re in makes a difference because you don’t have to be any good to make a regional in a 1 bid league. You just need to be better than your conference mates.
Anyway who cares about Wright State? I only care about what Tulane does. Tulane had to win this series at the bare minimum.
wright state last two NCAA tournaments were 2015 and 2016 they went 2-2 each year...last I checked, Tulane won 0 NCAA games in 2017 also
What do you want for this? A f**cking cookie?
only if it is gluten free...as far as conference's are concerned Coastal Carolina, Fresno State, Long Beach State, La-Laf have done well in the NCAA's without being in a "major multi bid league'...RICE has done fairly well also, and CUSA is no where as good as it use to be


Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
greenphantom
Swell
Posts: 1557
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:38 pm
Status: Offline

Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:15 pm

Profoundwizard wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:If we weren’t supposed to beat Wright St then we must not be favored to win more than 25 games. Winning the Horizon League doesn’t make them a good team.
They have won games in the NCAA Regionals, it makes no difference what conference they are in....
The 2018 Wright State team has won 0 games. Regional or otherwise. The 2017 Wright State squad won 0 regional games as well.
The conference you’re in makes a difference because you don’t have to be any good to make a regional in a 1 bid league. You just need to be better than your conference mates.
Anyway who cares about Wright State? I only care about what Tulane does. Tulane had to win this series at the bare minimum.
wright state last two NCAA tournaments were 2015 and 2016 they went 2-2 each year...last I checked, Tulane won 0 NCAA games in 2017 also
What do you want for this? A f**cking cookie?
Perhaps a date with Lee Begley?
HoustonWave
Swell
Posts: 1432
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:16 pm

Maybe this whole AC saga explains why Lindsey Scott didn't sign with Tulane. :crazy: :crazy: :o :o
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Swell
Posts: 1432
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:20 pm

greenphantom wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:If we weren’t supposed to beat Wright St then we must not be favored to win more than 25 games. Winning the Horizon League doesn’t make them a good team.
They have won games in the NCAA Regionals, it makes no difference what conference they are in....
The 2018 Wright State team has won 0 games. Regional or otherwise. The 2017 Wright State squad won 0 regional games as well.
The conference you’re in makes a difference because you don’t have to be any good to make a regional in a 1 bid league. You just need to be better than your conference mates.
Anyway who cares about Wright State? I only care about what Tulane does. Tulane had to win this series at the bare minimum.
wright state last two NCAA tournaments were 2015 and 2016 they went 2-2 each year...last I checked, Tulane won 0 NCAA games in 2017 also
What do you want for this? A f**cking cookie?
Perhaps a date with Lee Begley?
It appears a cookie would be harder to get.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Profoundwizard
Swell
Posts: 1077
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:50 pm
Status: Offline

Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:42 pm

golfnut69 wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:If we weren’t supposed to beat Wright St then we must not be favored to win more than 25 games. Winning the Horizon League doesn’t make them a good team.
They have won games in the NCAA Regionals, it makes no difference what conference they are in....
The 2018 Wright State team has won 0 games. Regional or otherwise. The 2017 Wright State squad won 0 regional games as well.
The conference you’re in makes a difference because you don’t have to be any good to make a regional in a 1 bid league. You just need to be better than your conference mates.
Anyway who cares about Wright State? I only care about what Tulane does. Tulane had to win this series at the bare minimum.
wright state last two NCAA tournaments were 2015 and 2016 they went 2-2 each year...last I checked, Tulane won 0 NCAA games in 2017 also
What do you want for this? A f**cking cookie?
only if it is gluten free...as far as conference's are concerned Coastal Carolina, Fresno State, Long Beach State, La-Laf have done well in the NCAA's without being in a "major multi bid league'...RICE has done fairly well also, and CUSA is no where as good as it use to be
Those programs are light years ahead of Wright State. Not even close. You realize that right? All of those conferences are better than the Horizon league too.
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 7548
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:38 pm

Profoundwizard wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:If we weren’t supposed to beat Wright St then we must not be favored to win more than 25 games. Winning the Horizon League doesn’t make them a good team.
They have won games in the NCAA Regionals, it makes no difference what conference they are in....
The 2018 Wright State team has won 0 games. Regional or otherwise. The 2017 Wright State squad won 0 regional games as well.
The conference you’re in makes a difference because you don’t have to be any good to make a regional in a 1 bid league. You just need to be better than your conference mates.
Anyway who cares about Wright State? I only care about what Tulane does. Tulane had to win this series at the bare minimum.
wright state last two NCAA tournaments were 2015 and 2016 they went 2-2 each year...last I checked, Tulane won 0 NCAA games in 2017 also
What do you want for this? A f**cking cookie?
only if it is gluten free...as far as conference's are concerned Coastal Carolina, Fresno State, Long Beach State, La-Laf have done well in the NCAA's without being in a "major multi bid league'...RICE has done fairly well also, and CUSA is no where as good as it use to be
Those programs are light years ahead of Wright State. Not even close. You realize that right? All of those conferences are better than the Horizon league too.
Thank U for enlightening me..my exposure to intercollegiate athletics is minimal, so all info from well informed posters like yourself is very much appreciated
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
McWave
Low Tide
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:45 am
Status: Offline

Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:22 pm

tpstulane wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Oh yea one more thing. Mississippi St is going to invest $40 million in its baseball program.
And with all of the other intangibles that MSU has to offer, Andy will play with a loaded deck compared to what he would have got had he been named coach at Tulane. To say "whomever gets their team to the CWS first" is the better hire, is absolute BS. I'd spell it out, but you know it's BS. MSU, as a premier program in a much, much MUCH better league, has a whole lot more money to throw away on their baseball program. And not for nothing, but this program did nothing when he was the interim coach.

I wish Andy the best. At the same time, I'm very happy with Coach Jewitt.
Spending money doesn't make you win in baseball. We went to two CWS in our old stadium. We then spent $12 million on a new stadium and couldn't get back after that. My point is that for a program that was already planning to spend $40 million (Miss St) in its program had the confidence to hire a "Tulane" graduate Andy Cannizaro to run it.
No, but the advantages of being a state school in the SEC spending money cannot be overlooked. How many non-scholarship top rate players are going to choose MSU at $20k/year vs. Tulane at $67k/year? Remember there's only 11 or 12 baseball scholarships available. State schools have a HUGE advantage, especially if you've been to a few CWS's and are in what's widely recognized as the top baseball conference in the country.
You're making my point. I was angry at the people that said we couldn't hire AC because he had not enough experience. They don't know Andy. They only know what is on paper. Yet Miss St hired an AD with a baseball background/coach and the first guy he calls and hires is AC. My point is AC is going to be the baseball Rich Rod for us. Trust me. No knock on Jewett. I like him and hope he wins big. I'm just frustrated because I see Rich Rod all over again.
Coastal Carolina won it all last year and they have no money.
“My point is AC is going to be the baseball Rich Rod for us”. Truer words were never spoken. Thank You! Troy Dannen for recognizing AC needed a little more seasoning and isn’t our baseball RR.
McWave
Low Tide
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:45 am
Status: Offline

Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:17 pm

Show Me wrote:Gee just heard this. Congrats to Mr Andy Cannizaro. Smart hire by Mississippi St athletic director. Cannizaro will succeed because he's an exceptional person both on and off the field. How Tulane blew hiring him is beyond my imagination. Jewett better deliver for Dannen's sake because quite a number of former fans and players are watching this closely and are still upset. And I do agree with others saying this is baseball's Rich Rodriguez moment. It's now only a matter of time before it becomes obvious to the Tulane athletic department.
It’s amazing how many compared AC to RR and put down Dannen.

I believe Dannen realized there would be a baseball RR moment when he hired Jewett.

“This is baseball’s RR moment”....for MSU not Tulane luckily.

“Cannizzaro ...he’s an exceptional person both on and off the field.”

And I welcome the Cannizzaro camp to enlighten the rest of us (like they have in the past) about what really happened.
User avatar
Show Me
Riptide
Posts: 2750
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: Saint Bernard
Status: Offline

Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:35 pm

McWave wrote:
Show Me wrote:Gee just heard this. Congrats to Mr Andy Cannizaro. Smart hire by Mississippi St athletic director. Cannizaro will succeed because he's an exceptional person both on and off the field. How Tulane blew hiring him is beyond my imagination. Jewett better deliver for Dannen's sake because quite a number of former fans and players are watching this closely and are still upset. And I do agree with others saying this is baseball's Rich Rodriguez moment. It's now only a matter of time before it becomes obvious to the Tulane athletic department.
It’s amazing how many compared AC to RR and put down Dannen.

I believe Dannen realized there would be a baseball RR moment when he hired Jewett.

“This is baseball’s RR moment”....for MSU not Tulane luckily.

“Cannizzaro ...he’s an exceptional person both on and off the field.”

And I welcome the Cannizzaro camp to enlighten the rest of us (like they have in the past) about what really happened.
What’s even more amazing is that all of Dannen’s hires are still looking for a winning season.
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17574
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:18 pm

McWave wrote: “My point is AC is going to be the baseball Rich Rod for us”. Truer words were never spoken. Thank You! Troy Dannen for recognizing AC needed a little more seasoning and isn’t our baseball RR.
Thanks! Boy did I call it! Only quicker than I thought. :mrgreen:
http://www.12up.com/posts/5936171-distu ... z-revealed
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Swell
Posts: 1432
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:43 am

Show Me wrote:
McWave wrote:
Show Me wrote:Gee just heard this. Congrats to Mr Andy Cannizaro. Smart hire by Mississippi St athletic director. Cannizaro will succeed because he's an exceptional person both on and off the field. How Tulane blew hiring him is beyond my imagination. Jewett better deliver for Dannen's sake because quite a number of former fans and players are watching this closely and are still upset. And I do agree with others saying this is baseball's Rich Rodriguez moment. It's now only a matter of time before it becomes obvious to the Tulane athletic department.
It’s amazing how many compared AC to RR and put down Dannen.

I believe Dannen realized there would be a baseball RR moment when he hired Jewett.

“This is baseball’s RR moment”....for MSU not Tulane luckily.

“Cannizzaro ...he’s an exceptional person both on and off the field.”

And I welcome the Cannizzaro camp to enlighten the rest of us (like they have in the past) about what really happened.
What’s even more amazing is that all of Dannen’s hires are still looking for a winning season.
Which at this point, is still more a reflection of the extensive damage wrought by the CowDick team and their 15 years of mismanagement. CowDick put us in a deep deep ditch.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
User avatar
Show Me
Riptide
Posts: 2750
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: Saint Bernard
Status: Offline

Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:10 am

HoustonWave wrote:
Show Me wrote:
McWave wrote:
Show Me wrote:Gee just heard this. Congrats to Mr Andy Cannizaro. Smart hire by Mississippi St athletic director. Cannizaro will succeed because he's an exceptional person both on and off the field. How Tulane blew hiring him is beyond my imagination. Jewett better deliver for Dannen's sake because quite a number of former fans and players are watching this closely and are still upset. And I do agree with others saying this is baseball's Rich Rodriguez moment. It's now only a matter of time before it becomes obvious to the Tulane athletic department.
It’s amazing how many compared AC to RR and put down Dannen.

I believe Dannen realized there would be a baseball RR moment when he hired Jewett.

“This is baseball’s RR moment”....for MSU not Tulane luckily.

“Cannizzaro ...he’s an exceptional person both on and off the field.”

And I welcome the Cannizzaro camp to enlighten the rest of us (like they have in the past) about what really happened.
What’s even more amazing is that all of Dannen’s hires are still looking for a winning season.
Which at this point, is still more a reflection of the extensive damage wrought by the CowDick team and their 15 years of mismanagement. CowDick put us in a deep deep ditch.
Ok. It was also George Bush’s fault 8 years into Obama’s term so I get it. :roll:
Aberzombie1892
Swell
Posts: 1653
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline

Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:14 am

HoustonWave wrote:
Show Me wrote:
McWave wrote:
Show Me wrote:Gee just heard this. Congrats to Mr Andy Cannizaro. Smart hire by Mississippi St athletic director. Cannizaro will succeed because he's an exceptional person both on and off the field. How Tulane blew hiring him is beyond my imagination. Jewett better deliver for Dannen's sake because quite a number of former fans and players are watching this closely and are still upset. And I do agree with others saying this is baseball's Rich Rodriguez moment. It's now only a matter of time before it becomes obvious to the Tulane athletic department.
It’s amazing how many compared AC to RR and put down Dannen.

I believe Dannen realized there would be a baseball RR moment when he hired Jewett.

“This is baseball’s RR moment”....for MSU not Tulane luckily.

“Cannizzaro ...he’s an exceptional person both on and off the field.”

And I welcome the Cannizzaro camp to enlighten the rest of us (like they have in the past) about what really happened.
What’s even more amazing is that all of Dannen’s hires are still looking for a winning season.
Which at this point, is still more a reflection of the extensive damage wrought by the CowDick team and their 15 years of mismanagement. CowDick put us in a deep deep ditch.
To be fair, if someone told me when Willie Fritz was hired that we would be excited on the prospect of a 6 win season in year 3 of his tenure, I probably would have laughed a little, but that's where we are.
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17574
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:29 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote: To be fair, if someone told me when Willie Fritz was hired that we would be excited on the prospect of a 6 win season in year 3 of his tenure, I probably would have laughed a little, but that's where we are.
Sad to say but because of our recent history our remaining fan base probably has the lowest bar set in the NCAA today. The desperation is evident.
I’m guilty myself. I was happy to stay “close” (44pts) in the WBB game last night. And was happy we didn’t “get blown out” in MBB by Wichita St. That’s pretty sad. I’ll be happy if we don’t get swept this weekend by Ole Miss.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Riptide
Posts: 2579
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:04 pm
Status: Offline

Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:32 am

McWave wrote:
“My point is AC is going to be the baseball Rich Rod for us”. Truer words were never spoken. Thank You! Troy Dannen for recognizing AC needed a little more seasoning and isn’t our baseball RR.
None of this changes my opinion that it was a mistake not to hire RR in 1998. After leaving Tulane RR went to Clemson with Bowden, then WVU, then Michigan and then Arizona. Who knows how RR was "twisted" along his "coaching journey" after leaving Tulane? And, I realize there was an interplay between RR staying at Tulane and Don Nehlen's retirement at WVU. But at a minimum we would have had at least 2 good years of RR and 4 winning seasons in a row. But in retospect, with Cowen as president Div. 1 football at Tulane may well have anyway been hopeless since upon RR leaving he would perhaps then have hired Scelfo for 350K a year?

The Road to Perdition, punishment and damnation, is paved in small steps; our RR was only 34 years old.
greenphantom
Swell
Posts: 1557
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:38 pm
Status: Offline

Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:45 am

Wave755 wrote:
McWave wrote:
“My point is AC is going to be the baseball Rich Rod for us”. Truer words were never spoken. Thank You! Troy Dannen for recognizing AC needed a little more seasoning and isn’t our baseball RR.
None of this changes my opinion that it was a mistake not to hire RR in 1998. After leaving Tulane RR went to Clemson with Bowden, then WVU, then Michigan and then Arizona. Who knows how RR was "twisted" along his "coaching journey" after leaving Tulane? And, I realize there was an interplay between RR staying at Tulane and Don Nehlen's retirement at WVU. But at a minimum we would have had at least 2 good years of RR and 4 winning seasons in a row. But in retospect, with Cowen as president Div. 1 football at Tulane may well have anyway been hopeless since upon RR leaving he would perhaps then have hired Scelfo for 350K a year?

The Road to Perdition, punishment and damnation, is paved in small steps; our RR was only 34 years old.
+1. One of the worst decisions ever. RR was way more qualified than Scelfo. Jewett and Cannizaro were similarly qualified at the time of the baseball hire.
HoustonWave
Swell
Posts: 1432
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:56 pm

Show Me wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:
Show Me wrote:
McWave wrote:
Show Me wrote:Gee just heard this. Congrats to Mr Andy Cannizaro. Smart hire by Mississippi St athletic director. Cannizaro will succeed because he's an exceptional person both on and off the field. How Tulane blew hiring him is beyond my imagination. Jewett better deliver for Dannen's sake because quite a number of former fans and players are watching this closely and are still upset. And I do agree with others saying this is baseball's Rich Rodriguez moment. It's now only a matter of time before it becomes obvious to the Tulane athletic department.
It’s amazing how many compared AC to RR and put down Dannen.

I believe Dannen realized there would be a baseball RR moment when he hired Jewett.

“This is baseball’s RR moment”....for MSU not Tulane luckily.

“Cannizzaro ...he’s an exceptional person both on and off the field.”

And I welcome the Cannizzaro camp to enlighten the rest of us (like they have in the past) about what really happened.
What’s even more amazing is that all of Dannen’s hires are still looking for a winning season.
Which at this point, is still more a reflection of the extensive damage wrought by the CowDick team and their 15 years of mismanagement. CowDick put us in a deep deep ditch.
Ok. It was also George Bush’s fault 8 years into Obama’s term so I get it. :roll:
Cowen was far more damaging than George W Bush (who wasn't too good in his own right), and so far Dannen is way ahead of Obama in terms of performance. If you want to compare Cowen and Obama, then you're getting somewhere when it comes to performance and image over substance.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 7548
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:00 pm

HoustonWave wrote:
Show Me wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:
Show Me wrote:
McWave wrote:
Show Me wrote:Gee just heard this. Congrats to Mr Andy Cannizaro. Smart hire by Mississippi St athletic director. Cannizaro will succeed because he's an exceptional person both on and off the field. How Tulane blew hiring him is beyond my imagination. Jewett better deliver for Dannen's sake because quite a number of former fans and players are watching this closely and are still upset. And I do agree with others saying this is baseball's Rich Rodriguez moment. It's now only a matter of time before it becomes obvious to the Tulane athletic department.
It’s amazing how many compared AC to RR and put down Dannen.

I believe Dannen realized there would be a baseball RR moment when he hired Jewett.

“This is baseball’s RR moment”....for MSU not Tulane luckily.

“Cannizzaro ...he’s an exceptional person both on and off the field.”

And I welcome the Cannizzaro camp to enlighten the rest of us (like they have in the past) about what really happened.
What’s even more amazing is that all of Dannen’s hires are still looking for a winning season.
Which at this point, is still more a reflection of the extensive damage wrought by the CowDick team and their 15 years of mismanagement. CowDick put us in a deep deep ditch.
Ok. It was also George Bush’s fault 8 years into Obama’s term so I get it. :roll:
Cowen was far more damaging than George W Bush (who wasn't too good in his own right), and so far Dannen is way ahead of Obama in terms of performance. If you want to compare Cowen and Obama, then you're getting somewhere when it comes to performance and image over substance.
some think Cowen was wonderful for Tulane, which he wasn't
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
User avatar
GreenPuddleSplash
Surge
Posts: 980
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:58 am
Location: Lower Garden District
Status: Offline

Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:00 pm

golfnut69 wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:
Show Me wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:
Show Me wrote:
McWave wrote:
Show Me wrote:Gee just heard this. Congrats to Mr Andy Cannizaro. Smart hire by Mississippi St athletic director. Cannizaro will succeed because he's an exceptional person both on and off the field. How Tulane blew hiring him is beyond my imagination. Jewett better deliver for Dannen's sake because quite a number of former fans and players are watching this closely and are still upset. And I do agree with others saying this is baseball's Rich Rodriguez moment. It's now only a matter of time before it becomes obvious to the Tulane athletic department.
It’s amazing how many compared AC to RR and put down Dannen.

I believe Dannen realized there would be a baseball RR moment when he hired Jewett.

“This is baseball’s RR moment”....for MSU not Tulane luckily.

“Cannizzaro ...he’s an exceptional person both on and off the field.”

And I welcome the Cannizzaro camp to enlighten the rest of us (like they have in the past) about what really happened.
What’s even more amazing is that all of Dannen’s hires are still looking for a winning season.
Which at this point, is still more a reflection of the extensive damage wrought by the CowDick team and their 15 years of mismanagement. CowDick put us in a deep deep ditch.
Ok. It was also George Bush’s fault 8 years into Obama’s term so I get it. :roll:
Cowen was far more damaging than George W Bush (who wasn't too good in his own right), and so far Dannen is way ahead of Obama in terms of performance. If you want to compare Cowen and Obama, then you're getting somewhere when it comes to performance and image over substance.
some think Cowen was wonderful for Tulane, which he wasn't
I'm not a fan of Cowen, but he deserves some credit for keeping Tulane's academic standards high. It's nice having a degree from an institution that is highly regarded for its academic standards. That's the only nice thing I'll say about Cowen. As for Dickson... I have nothing good to say about him.
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 5954
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:16 pm

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:
Show Me wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:
Show Me wrote:
McWave wrote:
Show Me wrote:Gee just heard this. Congrats to Mr Andy Cannizaro. Smart hire by Mississippi St athletic director. Cannizaro will succeed because he's an exceptional person both on and off the field. How Tulane blew hiring him is beyond my imagination. Jewett better deliver for Dannen's sake because quite a number of former fans and players are watching this closely and are still upset. And I do agree with others saying this is baseball's Rich Rodriguez moment. It's now only a matter of time before it becomes obvious to the Tulane athletic department.
It’s amazing how many compared AC to RR and put down Dannen.

I believe Dannen realized there would be a baseball RR moment when he hired Jewett.

“This is baseball’s RR moment”....for MSU not Tulane luckily.

“Cannizzaro ...he’s an exceptional person both on and off the field.”

And I welcome the Cannizzaro camp to enlighten the rest of us (like they have in the past) about what really happened.
What’s even more amazing is that all of Dannen’s hires are still looking for a winning season.
Which at this point, is still more a reflection of the extensive damage wrought by the CowDick team and their 15 years of mismanagement. CowDick put us in a deep deep ditch.
Ok. It was also George Bush’s fault 8 years into Obama’s term so I get it. :roll:
Cowen was far more damaging than George W Bush (who wasn't too good in his own right), and so far Dannen is way ahead of Obama in terms of performance. If you want to compare Cowen and Obama, then you're getting somewhere when it comes to performance and image over substance.
some think Cowen was wonderful for Tulane, which he wasn't
I'm not a fan of Cowen, but he deserves some credit for keeping Tulane's academic standards high. It's nice having a degree from an institution that is highly regarded for its academic standards. That's the only nice thing I'll say about Cowen. As for Dickson... I have nothing good to say about him.
\

WHAT?

WHAT?

Cowen refused to give US News and World Report certain statistics, including info about the percentage of Alumni donating (if I remember correctly) that had us fall significantly in the rankings. USN&WR didn't put us that far down, but others slammed Tulane into hundred plus range. Cowen was a self-promoting egomaniac that totally F'd Tulane athletics with his "review" and bone headed moves like trying to take on the P5 rather than hire Rich Rod and get the P6 invite that ultimately went to TCU. Cowen was nothing close to the PR show he put on, and hurt, rather than helped, our academic rankings. Had Tulane gotten into the Big 12 or ACC under his watch, we wouldn't have run the deficit his administration hid. The athletics department would be contributing to the bottom line, rather than drawing from it. The right play was to keep Sandy Barbour as the AD, Rich Rod as the football HC, and rather than attack the BCS, go for getting admitted to the fraternity. That SOB might have forever left Tulane in the "have nots" category using Football (and to a certain extent Basketball, too) when we had the best chance to rectify the big mistake of leaving the SEC. Instead, he decided to take on the "Powers." The fact that we got into the AAC, when Cowen had repeatedly bashed the Big East, is beyond me. Some say RD had the connections that ultimately got us in. If he did, that's the second best thing he did as AD. I don't know what #3 is on that list.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 7548
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:45 pm

DfromCT wrote:
GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:
Show Me wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:
Show Me wrote:
McWave wrote:
Show Me wrote:Gee just heard this. Congrats to Mr Andy Cannizaro. Smart hire by Mississippi St athletic director. Cannizaro will succeed because he's an exceptional person both on and off the field. How Tulane blew hiring him is beyond my imagination. Jewett better deliver for Dannen's sake because quite a number of former fans and players are watching this closely and are still upset. And I do agree with others saying this is baseball's Rich Rodriguez moment. It's now only a matter of time before it becomes obvious to the Tulane athletic department.
It’s amazing how many compared AC to RR and put down Dannen.

I believe Dannen realized there would be a baseball RR moment when he hired Jewett.

“This is baseball’s RR moment”....for MSU not Tulane luckily.

“Cannizzaro ...he’s an exceptional person both on and off the field.”

And I welcome the Cannizzaro camp to enlighten the rest of us (like they have in the past) about what really happened.
What’s even more amazing is that all of Dannen’s hires are still looking for a winning season.
Which at this point, is still more a reflection of the extensive damage wrought by the CowDick team and their 15 years of mismanagement. CowDick put us in a deep deep ditch.
Ok. It was also George Bush’s fault 8 years into Obama’s term so I get it. :roll:
Cowen was far more damaging than George W Bush (who wasn't too good in his own right), and so far Dannen is way ahead of Obama in terms of performance. If you want to compare Cowen and Obama, then you're getting somewhere when it comes to performance and image over substance.
some think Cowen was wonderful for Tulane, which he wasn't
I'm not a fan of Cowen, but he deserves some credit for keeping Tulane's academic standards high. It's nice having a degree from an institution that is highly regarded for its academic standards. That's the only nice thing I'll say about Cowen. As for Dickson... I have nothing good to say about him.
\

WHAT?

WHAT?

Cowen refused to give US News and World Report certain statistics, including info about the percentage of Alumni donating (if I remember correctly) that had us fall significantly in the rankings. USN&WR didn't put us that far down, but others slammed Tulane into hundred plus range. Cowen was a self-promoting egomaniac that totally F'd Tulane athletics with his "review" and bone headed moves like trying to take on the P5 rather than hire Rich Rod and get the P6 invite that ultimately went to TCU. Cowen was nothing close to the PR show he put on, and hurt, rather than helped, our academic rankings. Had Tulane gotten into the Big 12 or ACC under his watch, we wouldn't have run the deficit his administration hid. The athletics department would be contributing to the bottom line, rather than drawing from it. The right play was to keep Sandy Barbour as the AD, Rich Rod as the football HC, and rather than attack the BCS, go for getting admitted to the fraternity. That SOB might have forever left Tulane in the "have nots" category using Football (and to a certain extent Basketball, too) when we had the best chance to rectify the big mistake of leaving the SEC. Instead, he decided to take on the "Powers." The fact that we got into the AAC, when Cowen had repeatedly bashed the Big East, is beyond me. Some say RD had the connections that ultimately got us in. If he did, that's the second best thing he did as AD. I don't know what #3 is on that list.
Scott n Margie need to be investigated for embezzlement following Katrina, all of the federal monies that flowed into Tulane...nothing seems to balance...but then again, U can get a "circle" named after U on campus for all of the Jim Jones follower types he installed on the Board
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 5954
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:45 am

Getting back on thread topic: it's too bad that ESPN decided to "break" this story last night in prime time, running it on the scrolling thread on the bottom of the screen last night. That was 2 full days after most of the country that actually pays attention to NCAA baseball (the few, the proud) had already heard about it. Just stirs things up for another couple of days.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
DrBox
Riptide
Posts: 3093
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Status: Offline

Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:48 am

The details are getting more and more sordid.

Reading all of this stuff about Mississippi State and its baseball coach turned AD reminds me of the mistake I believe Tulane made regarding Jones: he should have been named AD somewhere in the 2007-2010 time period.
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17574
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:07 am

DrBox wrote:
Reading all of this stuff about Mississippi State and its baseball coach turned AD reminds me of the mistake I believe Tulane made regarding Jones: he should have been named AD somewhere in the 2007-2010 time period.
Yep
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17574
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:08 am

DfromCT wrote:Getting back on thread topic: it's too bad that ESPN decided to "break" this story last night in prime time, running it on the scrolling thread on the bottom of the screen last night. That was 2 full days after most of the country that actually pays attention to NCAA baseball (the few, the proud) had already heard about it. Just stirs things up for another couple of days.
Yep
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
Post Reply