Andy Cannizaro

DaveBrownStreak
Low Tide

Re: Andy Cannizaro

Postby DaveBrownStreak » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:33 pm

Great work Dannen.....u f'd up big time! A first year head coach goes to a Super Regional ( by the way he came out of the losers bracket to do it) and our great Vandy assistant can't even reach a .500 record. The ghost of Rich Rod must be hovering high over Willow Street and we CONTINUE to embarass ourselves with our decision making....HAIL STATE!!

TURVS71
Swell

Postby TURVS71 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:45 pm

Lamenting the Cannizaro situation is NOT beating a dead horse. He is relevant at this time because he coaches literally in our back yard. He won a Regional in our back yard and is going to a Super Regional in our back yard. I would guess that being a Tulane Grad and probably one of finest basball players in TU history that he has class because he CERTAINLY has the right to give TU the old Italian "UP YOURS" salute! Yes it is relavant because, well we all know why....tough to swallow this one...will we ever learn from our past blunders?

'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"

TURVS71
Swell

Postby TURVS71 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:50 pm

Also understand that there is a little feud between Cannizaro and Manure-e as supposedly Cannizaro pilfered some lsu recruits when he got the Miss State job. Should be interesting!

'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Postby tpstulane » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:59 pm

TURVS71 wrote:Also understand that there is a little feud between Cannizaro and Manure-e as supposedly Cannizaro pilfered some lsu recruits when he got the Miss State job. Should be interesting!

Yes. I'm highly looking forward to watching this weekend. The series starts Saturday night at 8pm ESPN2.

Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981

lurker123
Swell

Postby lurker123 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:03 pm

sader24 wrote:I haven't renewed my family's football season tickets for the 1st time since the 40s bc of of the Andy Cannizaro screwup. I may still renew, but I feel like it was so big of a screwup it might have been the final straw for me. Just proves to me there is literally nothing they can't screw up.

As Showme said, the folks involved are liable to be gone while we lifetime fans are still around. Meanwhile all I can say is I'm renewing my tickets. I'm a Tulane fan. I get where you coming from but all I can say is I would miss it if I didn't come.

Finally and maybe this is just a hope, a marker has now been laid down for both TD and TJ. Maybe they will become hungrier than we can imagine and will elevate their performance. They are running things and I'm a fan so I'm not going to root for them to fail. However as Showme noted if they do succeed, it may be sayonara and we'll still be here.

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Postby tpstulane » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:16 am

Those of you that don't live in town haven't heard the news cycle on Andy like we have. They are not about to let anyone forget this. Every station has called out Tulane for not hiring Andy. Here's what I'm talking about.
https://twitter.com/fletcherwdsu/status ... 9309813760

Doug Mouton on Ch 4 was also critical the other night on his 10pm TV Sports show. It's pretty much been relentless including radio guys.

Tulane Class of 1981

golfnut69
Tsunami

Postby golfnut69 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:28 am

tpstulane wrote:Those of you that don't live in town haven't heard the news cycle on Andy like we have. They are not about to let anyone forget this. Every station has called out Tulane for not hiring Andy. Here's what I'm talking about.
https://twitter.com/fletcherwdsu/status ... 9309813760

Doug Mouton on Ch 4 was also critical the other night on his 10pm TV Sports show. It's pretty much been relentless including radio guys.

"TD is Great... TD is Good "..... Death to the Infidels ".....

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !

Aberzombie1892
Swell

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:52 am

To be fair to Troy Dannen, had he hired someone other than Willie Fritz to coach the football team and that coach had a 4-8 2016 season with a 23 point loss to Tulsa, a 31 point loss to UCF, and a 31 point loss to Temple while Fritz dominated the Sunbelt again, we would be having a lot of the same discussions in regard to why Troy Dannen didn't hire such a great coach who would have been perfect for Tulane. However, Troy Dannen did hire Fritz and Fritz did go 4-8.

This is just to offer perspective in regard to the hiring process and that just because a coach is winning at a program in a particular season doesn't mean that they would have had similar success during that particular season for a different program.

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Postby tpstulane » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:14 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote:To be fair to Troy Dannen, had he hired someone other than Willie Fritz to coach the football team and that coach had a 4-8 2016 season with a 23 point loss to Tulsa, a 31 point loss to UCF, and a 31 point loss to Temple while Fritz dominated the Sunbelt again, we would be having a lot of the same discussions in regard to why Troy Dannen didn't hire such a great coach who would have been perfect for Tulane. However, Troy Dannen did hire Fritz and Fritz did go 4-8.

This is just to offer perspective in regard to the hiring process and that just because a coach is winning at a program in a particular season doesn't mean that they would have had similar success during that particular season for a different program.

Yes. But we've been down this road too many times to believe otherwise. I will say if Jewett would have achieved what was least expected (a winning season) you'd probably not hear all the chatter you're hearing now. But when 3 potential candidates get regionals and 2 get Super Regionals and your team is sitting home with a losing record all criticism is fair game. Andy, Matt and Tom will all three will likely be back to the regionals next year. I'd be shocked if we go a regional next year.

Tulane Class of 1981

Pepper
High Tide

Postby Pepper » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:42 am

tpstulane wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:To be fair to Troy Dannen, had he hired someone other than Willie Fritz to coach the football team and that coach had a 4-8 2016 season with a 23 point loss to Tulsa, a 31 point loss to UCF, and a 31 point loss to Temple while Fritz dominated the Sunbelt again, we would be having a lot of the same discussions in regard to why Troy Dannen didn't hire such a great coach who would have been perfect for Tulane. However, Troy Dannen did hire Fritz and Fritz did go 4-8.

Yes. But we've been down this road too many times to believe otherwise. I will say if Jewett would have achieved what was least expected (a winning season) you'd probably not hear all the chatter you're hearing now. But when 3 potential candidates get regionals and 2 get Super Regionals and your team is sitting home with a losing record all criticism is fair game. Andy, Matt and Tom will all three will likely be back to the regionals next year. I'd be shocked if we go a regional next year.

When Jewett was hired, all the talk was how long would it take for us to get back to Omaha. After this season, I'm wondering when we will ever be in post-season. I think the Fritz hire was a good hire and I'm not sure anyone even wanted the job. Basketball is hopeless imho.

"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Postby tpstulane » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:53 am

Pepper wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

When Jewett was hired, all the talk was how long would it take for us to get back to Omaha. After this season, I'm wondering when we will ever be in post-season. I think the Fritz hire was a good hire and I'm not sure anyone even wanted the job. Basketball is hopeless imho.

I concur. The expectation was the same here and by many others. In fact Pierce was expected to elevate the program and he did so. He's now in year one and he had Texas in the regional finals. A team that didn't even make the post season last year. I'm worried going forward winning seasons may be challenging.

Tulane Class of 1981

golfnut69
Tsunami

Postby golfnut69 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:57 am

Pepper wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

Under the present recruiting / scholarship stacking restrictions, self imposed by the Tulane Board, we will never again see Omaha, unless you are traveling there for a good steak....Regional's are within grasp, but getting to a super regional is a real reach....simply because Tulane will never have enuff two way players ( Pitchers who can play a position, to free up space for additional Pitchers)

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !

DfromCT
Tsunami

Postby DfromCT » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:21 pm

golfnut69 wrote:Under the present recruiting / scholarship stacking restrictions, self imposed by the Tulane Board, we will never again see Omaha, unless you are traveling there for a good steak....Regional's are within grasp, but getting to a super regional is a real reach....simply because Tulane will never have enuff two way players ( Pitchers who can play a position, to free up space for additional Pitchers)

And what none of us know is how the discussions behind closed doors went about scholarship stacking and other issues. Perhaps Canizzaro and Riser demanded that they be able to stack any and all scholarship money to level the field, Dannen went to Fitts and Fitts and the BOA said "no". I'm not saying this happened, but if it did, Dannen is taking a lot of heat from those loyal to Canizzaro and Riser when they really negotiated out of consideration themselves.

Many here are quick to say the Jewett hire was an ego play by Dannen. I'd like to know how they can state that as fact without psychological knowledge or being in the meetings behind closed doors?

" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your ongoing support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia

Profoundwizard
Surge

Postby Profoundwizard » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:28 pm

golfnut69 wrote:
Pepper wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

Under the present recruiting / scholarship stacking restrictions, self imposed by the Tulane Board, we will never again see Omaha, unless you are traveling there for a good steak....Regional's are within grasp, but getting to a super regional is a real reach....simply because Tulane will never have enuff two way players ( Pitchers who can play a position, to free up space for additional Pitchers)

I don't agree. We really weren't far off from being an Omaha team last year. We just weren't playing our best baseball at the end of the year.

winwave
Wild Pelican

Postby winwave » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:34 pm

tpstulane wrote:
Pepper wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

I concur. The expectation was the same here and by many others. In fact Pierce was expected to elevate the program and he did so. He's now in year one and he had Texas in the regional finals. A team that didn't even make the post season last year. I'm worried going forward winning seasons may be challenging.

Unfortunately we have had losing seasons in 2of the last 4 years. So winning seasons do appear to be challenging.

It's the facilities stupid!

Show Me
Swell

Postby Show Me » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:33 pm

Looking forward to seeing Andy pull off the big upset this weekend. Would be great for all real Tulane baseball fans should he do so.
A former great player making it to the CWS in his first year. Boy that would be something.

nawlinspete
Swell

Postby nawlinspete » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:43 pm

Show Me wrote:Looking forward to seeing Andy pull off the big upset this weekend. Would be great for all real Tulane baseball fans should he do so.
A former great player making it to the CWS in his first year. Boy that would be something.

Can not happen; Andy lacks the requisite 20 years of "Assistant" experience. :mrgreen:

Once and Again, With Smart Choices and a Bit Of Patience

kookingkajun
Ripple

Postby kookingkajun » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:29 pm

If AC beats LSU this site would crash and burn. The AD's phone would never stop ringing and if any one is collecting feathers and melting tar, will meet at GFTS.

Show Me
Swell

Postby Show Me » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:37 pm

kookingkajun wrote:If AC beats LSU this site would crash and burn. The AD's phone would never stop ringing and if any one is collecting feathers and melting tar, will meet at GFTS.

You can bet your house Dannen's a closet Tiger fan this weekend.

McWave
Low Tide

Postby McWave » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:50 pm

We almost made the CWS in 2016.....wow those are some green goggles. We went 2-2 in the regional. We were in the losers bracket after the first game. If that's close to the CWS.....Nashville is about to win game 5 of the NHL final (Pitts up 6-0 with 3:33 remaining 3 period) and I guess the Cavs have GS just where they want them. Geez....give TJ the same hyperbole you give DP.

Profoundwizard
Surge

Postby Profoundwizard » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:01 pm

McWave wrote:We almost made the CWS in 2016.....wow those are some green goggles. We went 2-2 in the regional. We were in the losers bracket after the first game. If that's close to the CWS.....Nashville is about to win game 5 of the NHL final (Pitts up 6-0 with 3:33 remaining 3 period) and I guess the Cavs have GS just where they want them. Geez....give TJ the same hyperbole you give DP.

I never said we almost made the CWS in 2016. We obviously didn't.
I said I don't think we were that far off from an Omaha team. If we were playing our best ball at the end of the year we definitely had the talent to win a Regional. We also dealt with injuries. Didn't have Corey Merrill able to start for us, could only go a couple innings of relief. Montalbano tore his UCL, he was turning into a reliable bullpen arm. We were a top ~15 team at times last year and a top 25 team practically all year. Not hyperbole at all to say if everything goes right we had a shot to make it to Omaha. I've seen worse teams make it. We may have been a piece or 2 away from Omaha, that's not far off.

I'll give Jewett some hyperbole, he almost won his side of the AAC bracket.

nowave
Ripple

Postby nowave » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:50 am

Show Me wrote:
kookingkajun wrote:If AC beats LSU this site would crash and burn. The AD's phone would never stop ringing and if any one is collecting feathers and melting tar, will meet at GFTS.

You can bet your house Dannen's a closet Tiger fan this weekend.

wouldnt surprise me seeing that dannen is an egomaniac. rooting for our mortal enemy over a Tulane legend to prove that your bad decision from last summer wasnt so bad after all is no one i want leading my athletic department.

sader24
Tsunami

Postby sader24 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:51 am

DfromCT wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:Under the present recruiting / scholarship stacking restrictions, self imposed by the Tulane Board, we will never again see Omaha, unless you are traveling there for a good steak....Regional's are within grasp, but getting to a super regional is a real reach....simply because Tulane will never have enuff two way players ( Pitchers who can play a position, to free up space for additional Pitchers)

And what none of us know is how the discussions behind closed doors went about scholarship stacking and other issues. Perhaps Canizzaro and Riser demanded that they be able to stack any and all scholarship money to level the field, Dannen went to Fitts and Fitts and the BOA said "no". I'm not saying this happened, but if it did, Dannen is taking a lot of heat from those loyal to Canizzaro and Riser when they really negotiated out of consideration themselves.

Many here are quick to say the Jewett hire was an ego play by Dannen. I'd like to know how they can state that as fact without psychological knowledge or being in the meetings behind closed doors?

If AC and MR asked for this and were turned down it's even more of a reason for fans to hang it up. I saw someone on YOGWF talking about how Tulane was a bad fit for AC bc of the self imposed restrictions and exorbitant tuition and how hard it made recruiting. If we are a bad fit for the best up and coming coach in the country who was also the best player in Tulane History then maybe we should just give it all up. We can't even hire one of our own who is a star in the making bc we are so internally screwed up. That's what you are suggesting correct?? That IMO would be even more damning than Dannen making an ego hire bc it would mean the University as a whole still refuses to help Athletics win even a Tulane grad is going to be at the helm.

McWave
Low Tide

Postby McWave » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:57 am

There are no self imposed stacking restrictions. The restrictions are NCAA restrictions. A Tulane education is expensive and the endowment is relatively low. If you want to be helpful write a huge check to the Tulane Endowment and we can better compete with Rice/Vanderbilt/Duke/Stanford/etc. If not, let it go. This fallacy has been debunked by winwave and tpstulane numerous times. There's a whole thread dedicated to just that.

DfromCT
Tsunami

Postby DfromCT » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:50 am

Sorry, but Micah Owings was the best player in Tulane history, hands down. Not close. And yes, I'm saying that there's things that could be done with scholarships for baseball players that are not being done. It's been that way for a very long time, and if it doesn't change we're not going to Omaha even if we hired Tony LaRussa.
Last edited by DfromCT on Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your ongoing support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia