Andy Cannizaro

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Show Me wrote:Looking forward to seeing Andy pull off the big upset this weekend. Would be great for all real Tulane baseball fans should he do so.
A former great player making it to the CWS in his first year. Boy that would be something.
Can not happen; Andy lacks the requisite 20 years of "Assistant" experience. :mrgreen:

President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
kookingkajun
Low Tide

If AC beats LSU this site would crash and burn. The AD's phone would never stop ringing and if any one is collecting feathers and melting tar, will meet at GFTS.
Show Me
Tsunami

kookingkajun wrote:If AC beats LSU this site would crash and burn. The AD's phone would never stop ringing and if any one is collecting feathers and melting tar, will meet at GFTS.
You can bet your house Dannen's a closet Tiger fan this weekend.
McWave
High Tide

We almost made the CWS in 2016.....wow those are some green goggles. We went 2-2 in the regional. We were in the losers bracket after the first game. If that's close to the CWS.....Nashville is about to win game 5 of the NHL final (Pitts up 6-0 with 3:33 remaining 3 period) and I guess the Cavs have GS just where they want them. Geez....give TJ the same hyperbole you give DP.
Profoundwizard
Swell

McWave wrote:We almost made the CWS in 2016.....wow those are some green goggles. We went 2-2 in the regional. We were in the losers bracket after the first game. If that's close to the CWS.....Nashville is about to win game 5 of the NHL final (Pitts up 6-0 with 3:33 remaining 3 period) and I guess the Cavs have GS just where they want them. Geez....give TJ the same hyperbole you give DP.
I never said we almost made the CWS in 2016. We obviously didn't.
I said I don't think we were that far off from an Omaha team. If we were playing our best ball at the end of the year we definitely had the talent to win a Regional. We also dealt with injuries. Didn't have Corey Merrill able to start for us, could only go a couple innings of relief. Montalbano tore his UCL, he was turning into a reliable bullpen arm. We were a top ~15 team at times last year and a top 25 team practically all year. Not hyperbole at all to say if everything goes right we had a shot to make it to Omaha. I've seen worse teams make it. We may have been a piece or 2 away from Omaha, that's not far off.

I'll give Jewett some hyperbole, he almost won his side of the AAC bracket.
nowave
Ripple

Show Me wrote:
kookingkajun wrote:If AC beats LSU this site would crash and burn. The AD's phone would never stop ringing and if any one is collecting feathers and melting tar, will meet at GFTS.
You can bet your house Dannen's a closet Tiger fan this weekend.
wouldnt surprise me seeing that dannen is an egomaniac. rooting for our mortal enemy over a Tulane legend to prove that your bad decision from last summer wasnt so bad after all is no one i want leading my athletic department.
sader24
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote:
golfnut69 wrote: Under the present recruiting / scholarship stacking restrictions, self imposed by the Tulane Board, we will never again see Omaha, unless you are traveling there for a good steak....Regional's are within grasp, but getting to a super regional is a real reach....simply because Tulane will never have enuff two way players ( Pitchers who can play a position, to free up space for additional Pitchers)
And what none of us know is how the discussions behind closed doors went about scholarship stacking and other issues. Perhaps Canizzaro and Riser demanded that they be able to stack any and all scholarship money to level the field, Dannen went to Fitts and Fitts and the BOA said "no". I'm not saying this happened, but if it did, Dannen is taking a lot of heat from those loyal to Canizzaro and Riser when they really negotiated out of consideration themselves.

Many here are quick to say the Jewett hire was an ego play by Dannen. I'd like to know how they can state that as fact without psychological knowledge or being in the meetings behind closed doors?
If AC and MR asked for this and were turned down it's even more of a reason for fans to hang it up. I saw someone on YOGWF talking about how Tulane was a bad fit for AC bc of the self imposed restrictions and exorbitant tuition and how hard it made recruiting. If we are a bad fit for the best up and coming coach in the country who was also the best player in Tulane History then maybe we should just give it all up. We can't even hire one of our own who is a star in the making bc we are so internally screwed up. That's what you are suggesting correct?? That IMO would be even more damning than Dannen making an ego hire bc it would mean the University as a whole still refuses to help Athletics win even a Tulane grad is going to be at the helm.
McWave
High Tide

There are no self imposed stacking restrictions. The restrictions are NCAA restrictions. A Tulane education is expensive and the endowment is relatively low. If you want to be helpful write a huge check to the Tulane Endowment and we can better compete with Rice/Vanderbilt/Duke/Stanford/etc. If not, let it go. This fallacy has been debunked by winwave and tpstulane numerous times. There's a whole thread dedicated to just that.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Sorry, but Micah Owings was the best player in Tulane history, hands down. Not close. And yes, I'm saying that there's things that could be done with scholarships for baseball players that are not being done. It's been that way for a very long time, and if it doesn't change we're not going to Omaha even if we hired Tony LaRussa.
Last edited by DfromCT on Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Jaxwave
Swell

sader24 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
golfnut69 wrote: Under the present recruiting / scholarship stacking restrictions, self imposed by the Tulane Board, we will never again see Omaha, unless you are traveling there for a good steak....Regional's are within grasp, but getting to a super regional is a real reach....simply because Tulane will never have enuff two way players ( Pitchers who can play a position, to free up space for additional Pitchers)
And what none of us know is how the discussions behind closed doors went about scholarship stacking and other issues. Perhaps Canizzaro and Riser demanded that they be able to stack any and all scholarship money to level the field, Dannen went to Fitts and Fitts and the BOA said "no". I'm not saying this happened, but if it did, Dannen is taking a lot of heat from those loyal to Canizzaro and Riser when they really negotiated out of consideration themselves.

Many here are quick to say the Jewett hire was an ego play by Dannen. I'd like to know how they can state that as fact without psychological knowledge or being in the meetings behind closed doors?
If AC and MR asked for this and were turned down it's even more of a reason for fans to hang it up. I saw someone on YOGWF talking about how Tulane was a bad fit for AC bc of the self imposed restrictions and exorbitant tuition and how hard it made recruiting. If we are a bad fit for the best up and coming coach in the country who was also the best player in Tulane History then maybe we should just give it all up. We can't even hire one of our own who is a star in the making bc we are so internally screwed up. That's what you are suggesting correct?? That IMO would be even more damning than Dannen making an ego hire bc it would mean the University as a whole still refuses to help Athletics win even a Tulane grad is going to be at the helm.
You are 100% correct Sader and I've got to say it's unfortunately very believable based on history. When it comes to supporting Tulane athletics I have become a Missourian, show me, before I put a penny into their coffers.
BC Wave
Swell

Honest questions:

What would Tulane have to do to show you?

How many pennies would you then put in their coffers?

Thanks
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Nice insight from Hall of Fame Coach Rick Jones on Andy's days at Tulane during our 2001 Super Regional win over LSU.
http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/ ... 8e918.html
It was Gautreau who began talking, right? He was sure it was Gautreau who delivered that motivational, pick-me-up speech, the one that preceded Tulane’s consecutive victories in that super regional to topple LSU.

Ten years after that speech, Jones learned, from Gautreau, that it was, after all, not Gautreau.

“Coach, I got to tell you something,” Jones said Gautreau told him in 2011. “I didn’t say anything that night. Andy did the talking.”
Cannizaro grew up swaddled in green and white — not purple and gold, like many Louisiana babies. His father, in fact, was an assistant at Tulane, and he sometimes traveled on road trips with the team. In the summers, he lingered around the park.

He was Tulane all the way.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
sader24
Tsunami

BC Wave wrote:Honest questions:

Thanks
Win something that matters.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Lsu comes back in the 8th and wins game one 4-3 their 15th straight win. Incredibly hot and talented team.
Both times we went to Omaha we lost the first game. Andy's been here before he will have them ready. Bet he's talking about '01 right now.
Tulane Class of 1981
Jaxwave
Swell

sader24 wrote:
BC Wave wrote:Honest questions:

Thanks
Win something that matters.
Biggest thing for me would be allowing all Tulane coaches to recruit the same players as the rest of the NCAA. Then it would be open I g up the purse strings to allow national recruiting like Stanford and Duke.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Jax- as far as letting players in that all others can Tulane changed that at the beginning of the CJ error and they do now allow those players to be signed. They also put in at least 4 athlete friendly majors that many of those schools had. As for the recruiting budget it definitely needs to be increased.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:Jax- as far as letting players in that all others can Tulane changed that at the beginning of the CJ error and they do now allow those players to be signed. They also put in at least 4 athlete friendly majors that many of those schools had. As for the recruiting budget it definitely needs to be increased.
Once again Smoke and Mirrors by Tulane pretending to do something. The majors don't help where the help is needed. The years most student athletes are likely to flunk out are Freshman and Sophomores years. How many Tulane student athletes flunk out Jr or Sr year? Probably less than 1% if that. Those first two years each student athlete must take the standard Tulane curriculum having zero to do with any major. So unless they make it through that (those first 2 years) that so called "athletic friendly majors" their Jr year won't matter. They need help Freshman Year and they don't get it then.
Winwave not looking for another argument just want people to understand what that BS "athletic friendly major" is really about.
You could have 50 athletic friendly majors and It wouldn't save one Freshman from flunking out.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It's not BS. They allow NCAA qualifiers in and they put the majors in so they can make it. We haven't had that many freshman flunk out. If we did please name them. We have had players kicked out for being involved in crime and other behavior since the change but we haven't had an inordinate amount flunk out as freshman. The real reasons for our lack of recruiting at this point are our long history of losing and our lack of facilities.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Show Me
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:Jax- as far as letting players in that all others can Tulane changed that at the beginning of the CJ error and they do now allow those players to be signed. They also put in at least 4 athlete friendly majors that many of those schools had. As for the recruiting budget it definitely needs to be increased.
Once again Smoke and Mirrors by Tulane pretending to do something. The majors don't help where the help is needed. The years most student athletes are likely to flunk out are Freshman and Sophomores years. How many Tulane student athletes flunk out Jr or Sr year? Probably less than 1% if that. Those first two years each student athlete must take the standard Tulane curriculum having zero to do with any major. So unless they make it through that (those first 2 years) that so called "athletic friendly majors" their Jr year won't matter. They need help Freshman Year and they don't get it then.
Winwave not looking for another argument just want people to understand what that BS "athletic friendly major" is really about.
You could have 50 athletic friendly majors and It wouldn't save one Freshman from flunking out.
Thanks. That makes sense. CJ tried recruiting the public schools but not many made it through to graduate.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:It's not BS. They allow NCAA qualifiers in and they put the majors in so they can make it. We haven't had that many freshman flunk out. If we did please name them. We have had players kicked out for being involved in crime and other behavior since the change but we haven't had an inordinate amount flunk out as freshman. The real reasons for our lack of recruiting at this point are our long history of losing and our lack of facilities.
Yes they allow NCAA Qualifiers. That's another subject.
I stand by my post. Let people judge for themselves. Majors don't kick in until Year 3.
I'm not going to change your mind. It's out here for everyone else. Go argue with someone else. I'm done wasting time.
Tulane Class of 1981
MicMan
Swell

I think that recently Jordan Gross took a year off-roster to restore eligibility. He was drafted by the Red Sox out of high school.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Just provide the list of those that FLUNKED OUT. You don't rule the Tulane world. Just b/c you say something doesn't make it true. Most of the players that didn't make it through were kicked out for behavioral issues not b//c they flunked out.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Rain delay in BR 8:35 first pitch for now.
Tulane Class of 1981
McWave
High Tide

It's been a while since I graduated from Tulane but tell me which frosh or soph classes you thought were difficult? English 101-02, finite math (probability), etc. Tulane still offers study hall with tutors? Prior test bank? Usefull with lazy profs. Summer school is still available for smaller fall/spring class load? University college is still available? I didn't attend university college but I understand the curriculum and majors were different. Maybe Show Me can answer this one? TPS can elaborate on the athletic academic assistance I am sure.

Now biomechanics majors (big country, sothard, Matt riser, not me) I get it. Mass communications, sociology, etc. you flunk out....you have issues. Especially if you try. Now you party every night....maybe. But still hard to due.

And yes, who flunked out due to grades when they put in the effort?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Andy's first magical season comes to end in the BR Super Regional 14-4. LSU could beat the Yankees right now as they win their 16th in a row.
Tulane Class of 1981