Andy Cannizaro

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
greenie78
Riptide

capwave wrote:This is terrible. He really screwed this up. The one I really feel sorry for is Gaut. He will be searching for a new home and job through no fault of his own.
Why will he be looking for a new job?

RobertM320
Green Wave

Wow. That was quick. Personally, I can never understand how guys that have everything going for them - wife, kids, great paying job in a career they love - can risk it all just for a fling.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
sader24
Tsunami

winwave wrote:Shame on him. Thank goodness TD did a proper vetting . If you feel sorry for anyone feel sorry for his wife who is due with their third child this weekend. As for Gaut he was lucky to get a job back at this level. Like I told several people that was AC''s first big mistake as a coach. Funny how it was so quiet this weekend when they got swept. Last years team was already put together and prepared by the former coach. It's a lot different when you have to prepare the team all year.
Let’s remain factual here, he lost almost his entire pitching staff last year due to injury. Regardless of his indiscretions he did a great job managing that aspect.
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote:Shame on him. Thank goodness TD did a proper vetting . If you feel sorry for anyone feel sorry for his wife who is due with their third child this weekend. As for Gaut he was lucky to get a job back at this level. Like I told several people that was AC''s first big mistake as a coach. Funny how it was so quiet this weekend when they got swept. Last years team was already put together and prepared by the former coach. It's a lot different when you have to prepare the team all year.
Which is something we all needed to keep in mind last season regarding our own HC.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Please. Nothing to do with proper vetting, TD or hiring Jake (TJ tried to hire Jake as well). There’s more to the story than you may know.
Sad to see this happen to one of Tulane’s greatest players ever. Hopefully someday soon things can work out for him and his family.
Here’s something to think about. The SEC is a dirty filthy cutthroat league that takes joy in bringing down coaches from rival schools. Don’t be surprised to read one day that this may have been that.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
Please. Nothing to do with proper vetting, TD or hiring Jake. There’s more to the story than you may know.
Sad to see this happen to one of Tulane’s greatest players ever. Hopefully someday soon things can work out for him and his family.
With all due respect to AC and TD, we don't know what took place behind closed doors. Maybe you do, Tim, with your connections, but we don't know if Andy made demands Troy couldn't honor, or if he did something that rubbed Troy the wrong way, or if, as many claim, TD simply wanted someone that wasn't tied to the old regime. I personally think Rick Jones built a great program on top of the foundation that Joe B put down, and would have loved to see it continue with AC.

I pray that the Cannizzaro family is able to work through this difficult time and come out of it stronger and closer to one another. This is shocking news.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:
With all due respect to AC and TD, we don't know what took place behind closed doors. Maybe you do, Tim, with your connections, but we don't know if Andy made demands Troy couldn't honor, or if he did something that rubbed Troy the wrong way, or if, as many claim, TD simply wanted someone that wasn't tied to the old regime. I personally think Rick Jones built a great program on top of the foundation that Joe B put down, and would have loved to see it continue with AC.

I pray that the Cannizzaro family is able to work through this difficult time and come out of it stronger and closer to one another. This is shocking news.
TD went with own guy which is what he should have done. Nothing more to the story. I think had he hired him here, Andy would still be employed. I was upset as were many others that Andy and Matt were passed over because I’m a former player myself. But I would never let it affect my loyalty to Tulane. Unlike others I wanted to see Andy have success because of his Tulane pedigree. It was hard pulling for him in purple and gold. But once he got a HC job away from there it was easy. Nothing more. What has happened to him now is beyond awful. Sad ending to what could have been a great career.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

sader24 wrote:
Let’s remain factual here, he lost almost his entire pitching staff last year due to injury. Regardless of his indiscretions he did a great job managing that aspect.
It was factual. He took over after fall ball. It's a lot different when it's your team for the entire process of getting ready. A good staff was already in place. He then chose to make changes after the season.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
Please. Nothing to do with proper vetting, TD or hiring Jake. There’s more to the story than you may know.
Here’s something to think about. The SEC is a dirty filthy cutthroat league that takes joy in bringing down coaches from rival schools. Don’t be surprised to read one day that this may have been that.
You have no idea what went on in the interview process. You and others created a narrative that fit your liking. Sad to see one of our better players behave like that. He chose to be a follower and repeat behavior he'd seen in the profession rather than be a leader and showing those young men the right way to live.

I guess the PAC 12 is a cutthroat league too. :roll: He did what he did and paid the price.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
You have no idea what went on in the interview process. You and others created a narrative that fit your liking. Sad to see one of our better players behave like that. He chose to be a follower and repeat behavior he'd seen in the profession rather than be a leader and showing those young men the right way to live.

I guess the PAC 12 is a cutthroat league too. :roll: He did what he did and paid the price.
No I wasn’t in the the room but I can say that I do know what went on in the interview process from the two Tulane guys that were in the room. Like I said earlier TD went with his guy is exactly what he should have done. There’s no narrative here. I, like many were pulling for a Tulane guy to get the job. I thought he’d be the best choice and a perfect fit but wasn’t to be. That chapter closed and year or so ago and I’ve moved on. I will always pull for my fellow alums in their careers. I know you have an ax to grid and that’s your business. I choose otherwise. I hope all Tulanians have success. No excuse for bad behavior and there’s a price to be paid for but it’s sad to see any glee about this awful event.
Tulane Class of 1981
capwave
High Tide

greenie78 wrote:
capwave wrote:This is terrible. He really screwed this up. The one I really feel sorry for is Gaut. He will be searching for a new home and job through no fault of his own.
Why will he be looking for a new job?
I absolutely feel worse for his family. I should have put that in there. As for Guat after this year when they find a replacement he will need to find a new home. He is a great guy that just got back into college baseball and I was happy for him. Now it’s gone.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

What's sad to see is some trying to paint this as something done to him. He did it to himself. What's worse is he did it to his wife and family. No glee in that at all.

At the time I was fine with him getting the job. Just b/c one has questions about his resume doesn't mean they don't want him to get it. But I always put the program first and wanted the best hire made no matter who it was.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:What's sad to see is some trying to paint this as something done to him. He did it to himself. What's worse is he did it to his wife and family. No glee in that at all.

At the time I was fine with him getting the job. Just b/c one has questions about his resume doesn't mean they don't want him to get it. But I always put the program first and wanted the best hire made no matter who it was.
Regardless of how it came about he’s paid dearly for it now. I agree on the program. I just thought differently about what was best for the program at the time. Hopefully TJ can get us back to Omaha and hopefully Andy can one day recover from this as well.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Agree. Hopefully TJ can take us all the way. As for AC he’s young enough that he’ll get a chance to work his way back up on in due time .
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Chapter closed.
Andy taking ownership for his mistake. Asking for forgiveness.
"I had a wonderful opportunity at Mississippi State, but unfortunately I made some poor decisions," Cannizaro said. "I hope Mississippi State University and all of the fans and people affected will one day forgive me."
http://hailstate.com/news/2018/2/20/and ... coach.aspx
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:Chapter closed.
"I had a wonderful opportunity at Mississippi State, but unfortunately I made some poor decisions," Cannizaro said. "I hope Mississippi State University and all of the fans and people affected will one day forgive me."
"Mistake".............if true, cheating on your pregnant wife is legit one of the lowest things a person can do. It is so destructive to your family, friends, coaches and players. Not many can come back from such a selfish act, I can't remember any, with good reason. Generally I am personally all for second chances, but there has to be a line, he crossed it IMO. Glad TD passed.

As for TJ, I was a huge critic of his approach but have listened to recent interviews and he seems to have really grown up as a manager and not just an asst coach anymore. This may be a bit of a transition year, hopefully the team can sneak into the tourney and build.
Show Me
Tsunami

mbawavefan12 wrote:
"Mistake".............if true, cheating on your pregnant wife is legit one of the lowest things a person can do. It is so destructive to your family, friends, coaches and players. Not many can come back from such a selfish act, I can't remember any, with good reason. Generally I am personally all for second chances, but there has to be a line, he crossed it IMO. Glad TD passed.

As for TJ, I was a huge critic of his approach but have listened to recent interviews and he seems to have really grown up as a manager and not just an asst coach anymore. This may be a bit of a transition year, hopefully the team can sneak into the tourney and build.
Here’s comes the moral police. IMO getting swept by USM was a close second. The man did wrong hopefully his wife will forgive him. Maybe one day you’ll need forgiveness in something my friend. Maybe she knew and they worked it out already.
Wave755
Tsunami

Hmm, generally simply having an affair would not be "cause" for termination of an employment contract. Recall, Arizona will pay RR's buyout. It will be interesting to learn the full facts of Andy's firing.
Show Me
Tsunami

It won’t be closed for awhile. Unfortunately people live for stories like this.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wave755 wrote:Hmm, generally simply having an affair would not be "cause" for termination of an employment contract. Recall, Arizona will pay RR's buyout. It will be interesting to learn the full facts of Andy's firing.
True. But if it was mutual consent and she was a subordinate to him at work that could be the problem. However I don’t know what her position was at Miss St. during the allegations.
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Show Me wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:

Here’s comes the moral police. IMO getting swept by USM was a close second. The man did wrong hopefully his wife will forgive him. Maybe one day you’ll need forgiveness in something my friend.
I actually tried to avoid the moral police stuff, but again, cheating on your pregnant wife is next level immorality. Not looking for some ego boost or to preach but that's just a fact, it's deplorable and I would never ever need forgiveness for such an act. Nevermind he probably lied to his employer as well. He has legit had a massive impact on so many lives. Imagine if this was your daughter at home with swollen feet and a broken heart. Never mind his kids, parents, friends, coaches, players and player's families. Cheating on your wife is one thing, there is a sanctity when she has and is carrying your children.

I do understand the potential righteousness of my comments, but I stand by them despite the many mistakes I have made in my life, this is not one I could (hopefully) ever do. It's despicable.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote:
It won’t be closed for awhile. Unfortunately people live for stories like this.
For sure.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:
Show Me wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:

Here’s comes the moral police. IMO getting swept by USM was a close second. The man did wrong hopefully his wife will forgive him. Maybe one day you’ll need forgiveness in something my friend.
I actually tried to avoid the moral police stuff, but again, cheating on your pregnant wife is next level immorality. Not looking for some ego boost or to preach but that's just a fact, it's deplorable and I would never ever need forgiveness for such an act. Nevermind he probably lied to his employer as well. He has legit had a massive impact on so many lives. Imagine if this was your daughter at home with swollen feet and a broken heart. Never mind his kids, parents, friends, coaches, players and player's families. Cheating on your wife is one thing, there is a sanctity when she has and is carrying your children.

I do understand the potential righteousness of my comments, but I stand by them despite the many mistakes I have made in my life, this is not one I could (hopefully) ever do. It's despicable.
Can’t disagree with much you said. However I believe Andy told the truth to his employer. That’s why it happened so fast. He probably was confronted with the allegations and admitted to them on the spot. That probably led to his resignation. I don’t know this to be fact but its only my opinion at this time.
Tulane Class of 1981
dpm wave
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:Cheating on your wife is one thing, there is a sanctity when she has and is carrying your children.

greenphantom
Swell

Very sad for his family. It is bad but I hope he bounces back and gets another chance at some point.