Vince Gibson

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I was playing Golf yesterday and was informewd that Vince Gibson has ALS..is this true ?..I live in metro Austin and the guy who told me is a rabid Texas fan, so I am not sure how he knew

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
JTLiuzza
Swell

Great article. Thanks for posting it.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
Robert1969
Riptide

That's really sad.

As I told you all about in my intro, I was born into a household with an LSU fan for my father and a Tulane fan for my mother. I was never sure whom to pull for, so generally, I tried to ignore college football. But 1980 was a miserable year for Saints fans. I was eleven years old, and the Saints had just come off its best year ever, an 8 and 8 year in 1979. In 1980, they were 1 and 15.

To find some joy in football, I turned to college football. Tulane had senior quarterback who had never played before that season in Nickie Hall. I became fascinated by him. He was my first college football hero. I also fell in Love with Vegas Vince that year. I was already becoming a Tulane fan. My father was none too happy about it and teased me relentlessly when LSU beat Tulane that year.

But Vegas Vince gave me two years to laugh back with a crushing defeat of LSU in 81, and that miracle in Tiger stadium in 1982.

Vince Gibson was a lively vibrant headcoach, who may not have brought Tulane football to the next level, he did the most important thing in my childhood: he gave me a chance to laugh at my father* for two straight years.

*This is the kind of relationship me and my father have. It's a loving relationship, but it is also a verbal rivalry filled with good-spirited snark, especially over football and politics.
Desmond67
Trickle

Good story of gibson, I have the opportunity to talk to "Coach" on a weekly basis, but he has not shared this one with me. I will be sure to rag him a little for only getting half the barracks.