Ryan Grant

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
Post Reply
dpm wave
Surge
Posts: 942
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:43 pm
Status: Offline

Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:25 am

Not a good day at the NFL Combine.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2 ... min-landry

He had been looking like a 5th rounder but these results may have pushed him down into the 7th.


lurker123
Swell
Posts: 1300
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:01 pm
Status: Offline

Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:25 am

dpm wave wrote:Not a good day at the NFL Combine.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2 ... min-landry

He had been looking like a 5th rounder but these results may have pushed him down into the 7th.
Maybe I'm the only guy in town on this but I would much rather be a free agent than a low draft choice. Yes it might cost me a some in bonuses but base salaries for these guys tend to quickly drift to NFL minimums whether drafted or not.

Key thing is the FA player can choose to work where he wants. Novel concept I know that someone has the freedom to pick their employer instead of being told where to go. We allow it to lawyers and fast food clerks and non-athletes. Too bad we don't extend the same right to pro players. (Yes I was a Curt Flood supporter down the line.)
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17736
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:33 am

dpm wave wrote:Not a good day at the NFL Combine.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2 ... min-landry

He had been looking like a 5th rounder but these results may have pushed him down into the 7th.
I thought that's where he would be. But the kid can play football. He's a possession type receiver with great hands and great route running ability (Lance Moore like). You can't really measure those things with that combine matrix. But I do believe he'll end up being a free agent somewhere on a practice squad.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
Jonathan
Riptide
Posts: 4207
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:03 pm
Status: Offline

Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:54 pm

I agree these results,lack of speed etc.should push him down from the 5th to the7th round. I hope the Saints who know is true abilities will take him. Santos was the third best kicker. The name of one and two?
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 7707
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Online

Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:46 pm

luv the Grant kid, but FA is in his future, and that may not be a bad thing
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12095
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:04 pm

Positive outlook on Grant's combine and some info. on Cairo:

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... cart_river
Find A Way!
Jonathan
Riptide
Posts: 4207
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:03 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:51 pm

I hope that they do well in the draft or sign as free agents. I would like to see both with the Saints.
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17736
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:42 pm

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... er_default
ESPN.com's John Keim has covered Grant closely since Grant arrived in Washington. He wrote this piece on Grant's learning curve, saying Grant was making contributions on special teams but would need to continue developing his attention to detail.

in his rookie take on Grant, Keim wrote: "The Redskins like Grant because he offers some versatility, able to run routes from outside or inside. But his ability to break quickly and catch in traffic will give him a chance inside. He's not a big-play threat on the outside. But he is a savvy route runner against zone coverages, understanding where to settle. He's also competitive, which always helps."
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave
Posts: 9299
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:54 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:41 pm

tpstulane wrote:http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... er_default
ESPN.com's John Keim has covered Grant closely since Grant arrived in Washington. He wrote this piece on Grant's learning curve, saying Grant was making contributions on special teams but would need to continue developing his attention to detail.

in his rookie take on Grant, Keim wrote: "The Redskins like Grant because he offers some versatility, able to run routes from outside or inside. But his ability to break quickly and catch in traffic will give him a chance inside. He's not a big-play threat on the outside. But he is a savvy route runner against zone coverages, understanding where to settle. He's also competitive, which always helps."
Ryan Grant has definitely created a buzz around Redskins minicamp. Not much has been open to the media, but he's done enough to get noticed.

Also, does Tammy do any actual reporting? Or does she just copy and paste other reporting? Chris Davenport was cut by the Redskins on the first day, no idea what happened.
capwave
High Tide
Posts: 284
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:37 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:23 pm

@Rich_TandlerCSN: Ryan Grant run routes better than some WRs who have been in the NFL for years. That is all. #RedskinsTalk
This was tweeted by the redskins blogger for CSNWashington. That says a lot to me about what CJ taught him.
Wave QB
Swell
Posts: 1623
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:09 am
Status: Offline

Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:22 pm

I am really looking forward to seeing him play in the preseason. I know we haven't seen it yet, but I am confident that CJ is going to have a very solid WR's corps very soon. Justin Shackleford, Xavier Rush, and Breaux should be ready for their close up this season if the offensive line can allow our QB to have time to make plays.
User avatar
gibnived8
Ripple
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:09 pm
Location: UPT NOLA
Status: Offline

Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:52 pm

Wave QB wrote:I am really looking forward to seeing him play in the preseason. I know we haven't seen it yet, but I am confident that CJ is going to have a very solid WR's corps very soon. Justin Shackleford, Xavier Rush, and Breaux should be ready for their close up this season if the offensive line can allow our QB to have time to make plays.
You come to Tulane as a Receiver and you learn something from what some said was the best Wr. coach in the NFL.

I feel the same way, if the o-line can give Lee/Powell time our receivers are going to do well this year.
Rush/Breaux big year I think, Shack excels also (only receiver to put up number besides RG)
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12095
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:58 pm

Keith Williams deserves some credit here. I get that people would be quick to credit CJ but at all the practices that have been open since CJ got here he hasn't been involved w/any group over the others. Just sayin
Find A Way!
capwave
High Tide
Posts: 284
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:37 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:28 pm

winwave wrote:Keith Williams deserves some credit here. I get that people would be quick to credit CJ but at all the practices that have been open since CJ got here he hasn't been involved w/any group over the others. Just sayin
You are right, he does deserve a ton of credit for that. Apparently he is very well thought of, because the past 2 summers he has had NFL and potential NFL receivers down here to train under him.
User avatar
gibnived8
Ripple
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:09 pm
Location: UPT NOLA
Status: Offline

Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:55 pm

capwave wrote:
winwave wrote:Keith Williams deserves some credit here. I get that people would be quick to credit CJ but at all the practices that have been open since CJ got here he hasn't been involved w/any group over the others. Just sayin
You are right, he does deserve a ton of credit for that. Apparently he is very well thought of, because the past 2 summers he has had NFL and potential NFL receivers down here to train under him.
TRUE, he has a bunch of guys training with him and his son is a really good player also. So Shout Out to Coach Williams who's an Awesome WR Coach
mbawavefan12
Tsunami
Posts: 5177
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:17 pm
Status: Offline

Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:17 pm

TD, Gruden "this kid can play"
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17736
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:12 pm

ESPN Monday night game vs Browns Grant caught a 14 yard TD pass.
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-high ... -touchdown
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 6114
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:41 am

I've heard a lot of good comments about Ryan on the NFL network and NFL Radio. Most praise his route running, and ability to come down with the ball in tight coverage. That being said, it's going to be hard for Ryan to see the field often. The Redskins have Moss and Garcon back, and signed two high profile and high priced free agents. I'm surprised they drafted a receiver. I'd guess they had him rated as a 3rd or 4th round pick and were surprised to see him in the 5th round.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
mbawavefan12
Tsunami
Posts: 5177
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:17 pm
Status: Offline

Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:40 am

DfromCT wrote:I've heard a lot of good comments about Ryan on the NFL network and NFL Radio. Most praise his route running, and ability to come down with the ball in tight coverage. That being said, it's going to be hard for Ryan to see the field often. The Redskins have Moss and Garcon back, and signed two high profile and high priced free agents. I'm surprised they drafted a receiver. I'd guess they had him rated as a 3rd or 4th round pick and were surprised to see him in the 5th round.
Two high priced free agents?
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12095
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:37 pm

Just caught a TD on MNF.
Find A Way!
User avatar
GreenPuddleSplash
Surge
Posts: 979
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:58 am
Location: Lower Garden District
Status: Offline

Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:38 pm

Ryan just got his 14.5 mill deal from the Ravens nixed due to a failed physical. Hopefully some team will pick him up.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2278 ... ens-voided
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 6114
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:27 am

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:Ryan just got his 14.5 mill deal from the Ravens nixed due to a failed physical. Hopefully some team will pick him up.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2278 ... ens-voided
The deal was for $29 million over 4 years, with half of the money guaranteed. What a payday that would have been for a guy with 84 catches for 985 yards receiving in his four-year career. That's a lot of money, I hope his agent can find a similar deal with another team that can get past the ankle injury Baltimore used to nullify their agreement.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
User avatar
GreenPuddleSplash
Surge
Posts: 979
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:58 am
Location: Lower Garden District
Status: Offline

Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:44 pm

DfromCT wrote:
GreenPuddleSplash wrote:Ryan just got his 14.5 mill deal from the Ravens nixed due to a failed physical. Hopefully some team will pick him up.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2278 ... ens-voided
The deal was for $29 million over 4 years, with half of the money guaranteed. What a payday that would have been for a guy with 84 catches for 985 yards receiving in his four-year career. That's a lot of money, I hope his agent can find a similar deal with another team that can get past the ankle injury Baltimore used to nullify their agreement.
Word is on the street that the Colts are looking to pick up Mr. Grant. Hopefully he lands with an NFL team
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 17736
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:42 pm

Signed a “prove it one year deal” for $5 million with the Colts. Quite a drop from his deal with the Ravens. :cry:
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 6114
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:50 pm

tpstulane wrote:Signed a “prove it one year deal” for $5 million with the Colts. Quite a drop from his deal with the Ravens. :cry:
I hope that's guaranteed, for one year. His average over 4 years with the Ravens was almost $7.5 mil with half of it guaranteed. That damned doctor in Baltimore is costing Ryan big bucks! I hope A. Luck is healthy this year, and develops a report with Ryan. TY Hilton is a big time talent, but the supporting WR cast has moved on. The Colts need O-line help, too.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
Post Reply