Ryan Grant

dpm wave
Surge

Ryan Grant

Postby dpm wave » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:25 am

Not a good day at the NFL Combine.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2 ... min-landry

He had been looking like a 5th rounder but these results may have pushed him down into the 7th.

lurker123
Swell

Re: Ryan Grant

Postby lurker123 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:25 am

dpm wave wrote:Not a good day at the NFL Combine.

He had been looking like a 5th rounder but these results may have pushed him down into the 7th.

Maybe I'm the only guy in town on this but I would much rather be a free agent than a low draft choice. Yes it might cost me a some in bonuses but base salaries for these guys tend to quickly drift to NFL minimums whether drafted or not.

Key thing is the FA player can choose to work where he wants. Novel concept I know that someone has the freedom to pick their employer instead of being told where to go. We allow it to lawyers and fast food clerks and non-athletes. Too bad we don't extend the same right to pro players. (Yes I was a Curt Flood supporter down the line.)

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Postby tpstulane » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:33 am

dpm wave wrote:Not a good day at the NFL Combine.

I thought that's where he would be. But the kid can play football. He's a possession type receiver with great hands and great route running ability (Lance Moore like). You can't really measure those things with that combine matrix. But I do believe he'll end up being a free agent somewhere on a practice squad.

Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981

Jonathan
Riptide

Postby Jonathan » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:54 pm

I agree these results,lack of speed etc.should push him down from the 5th to the7th round. I hope the Saints who know is true abilities will take him. Santos was the third best kicker. The name of one and two?

golfnut69
Tsunami

Postby golfnut69 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:46 pm

luv the Grant kid, but FA is in his future, and that may not be a bad thing

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !

winwave
Wild Pelican

Postby winwave » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:04 pm

Positive outlook on Grant's combine and some info. on Cairo:

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... cart_river

It's the facilities stupid!

Jonathan
Riptide

Postby Jonathan » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:51 pm

I hope that they do well in the draft or sign as free agents. I would like to see both with the Saints.

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Postby tpstulane » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:42 pm

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... er_default

ESPN.com's John Keim has covered Grant closely since Grant arrived in Washington. He wrote this piece on Grant's learning curve, saying Grant was making contributions on special teams but would need to continue developing his attention to detail.

in his rookie take on Grant, Keim wrote: "The Redskins like Grant because he offers some versatility, able to run routes from outside or inside. But his ability to break quickly and catch in traffic will give him a chance inside. He's not a big-play threat on the outside. But he is a savvy route runner against zone coverages, understanding where to settle. He's also competitive, which always helps."

Tulane Class of 1981

jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Postby jonathanjoseph » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:41 pm

tpstulane wrote:http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/2014/07/tulane_product_ryan_grant.html#incart_river_default

ESPN.com's John Keim has covered Grant closely since Grant arrived in Washington. He wrote this piece on Grant's learning curve, saying Grant was making contributions on special teams but would need to continue developing his attention to detail.

in his rookie take on Grant, Keim wrote: "The Redskins like Grant because he offers some versatility, able to run routes from outside or inside. But his ability to break quickly and catch in traffic will give him a chance inside. He's not a big-play threat on the outside. But he is a savvy route runner against zone coverages, understanding where to settle. He's also competitive, which always helps."

Ryan Grant has definitely created a buzz around Redskins minicamp. Not much has been open to the media, but he's done enough to get noticed.

Also, does Tammy do any actual reporting? Or does she just copy and paste other reporting? Chris Davenport was cut by the Redskins on the first day, no idea what happened.

capwave
High Tide

Ryan Grant

Postby capwave » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:23 pm

@Rich_TandlerCSN: Ryan Grant run routes better than some WRs who have been in the NFL for years. That is all. #RedskinsTalk
This was tweeted by the redskins blogger for CSNWashington. That says a lot to me about what CJ taught him.

Wave QB
Swell

Postby Wave QB » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:22 pm

I am really looking forward to seeing him play in the preseason. I know we haven't seen it yet, but I am confident that CJ is going to have a very solid WR's corps very soon. Justin Shackleford, Xavier Rush, and Breaux should be ready for their close up this season if the offensive line can allow our QB to have time to make plays.

gibnived8
Ripple

Postby gibnived8 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:52 pm

Wave QB wrote:I am really looking forward to seeing him play in the preseason. I know we haven't seen it yet, but I am confident that CJ is going to have a very solid WR's corps very soon. Justin Shackleford, Xavier Rush, and Breaux should be ready for their close up this season if the offensive line can allow our QB to have time to make plays.

You come to Tulane as a Receiver and you learn something from what some said was the best Wr. coach in the NFL.

I feel the same way, if the o-line can give Lee/Powell time our receivers are going to do well this year.
Rush/Breaux big year I think, Shack excels also (only receiver to put up number besides RG)

winwave
Wild Pelican

Postby winwave » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:58 pm

Keith Williams deserves some credit here. I get that people would be quick to credit CJ but at all the practices that have been open since CJ got here he hasn't been involved w/any group over the others. Just sayin

capwave
High Tide

Postby capwave » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:28 pm

winwave wrote:Keith Williams deserves some credit here. I get that people would be quick to credit CJ but at all the practices that have been open since CJ got here he hasn't been involved w/any group over the others. Just sayin

You are right, he does deserve a ton of credit for that. Apparently he is very well thought of, because the past 2 summers he has had NFL and potential NFL receivers down here to train under him.

gibnived8
Ripple

Postby gibnived8 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:55 pm

capwave wrote:
winwave wrote:Keith Williams deserves some credit here. I get that people would be quick to credit CJ but at all the practices that have been open since CJ got here he hasn't been involved w/any group over the others. Just sayin

You are right, he does deserve a ton of credit for that. Apparently he is very well thought of, because the past 2 summers he has had NFL and potential NFL receivers down here to train under him.

TRUE, he has a bunch of guys training with him and his son is a really good player also. So Shout Out to Coach Williams who's an Awesome WR Coach

mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Grant

Postby mbawavefan12 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:17 pm

TD, Gruden "this kid can play"

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Postby tpstulane » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:12 pm

ESPN Monday night game vs Browns Grant caught a 14 yard TD pass.
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-high ... -touchdown

Tulane Class of 1981

DfromCT
Tsunami

Postby DfromCT » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:41 am

I've heard a lot of good comments about Ryan on the NFL network and NFL Radio. Most praise his route running, and ability to come down with the ball in tight coverage. That being said, it's going to be hard for Ryan to see the field often. The Redskins have Moss and Garcon back, and signed two high profile and high priced free agents. I'm surprised they drafted a receiver. I'd guess they had him rated as a 3rd or 4th round pick and were surprised to see him in the 5th round.

" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your ongoing support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia

mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Postby mbawavefan12 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:40 am

DfromCT wrote:I've heard a lot of good comments about Ryan on the NFL network and NFL Radio. Most praise his route running, and ability to come down with the ball in tight coverage. That being said, it's going to be hard for Ryan to see the field often. The Redskins have Moss and Garcon back, and signed two high profile and high priced free agents. I'm surprised they drafted a receiver. I'd guess they had him rated as a 3rd or 4th round pick and were surprised to see him in the 5th round.

Two high priced free agents?

winwave
Wild Pelican

Postby winwave » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:37 pm

Just caught a TD on MNF.