Ryan Griffin

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Griffin and Jeremy "Caddy" Williams shine in Tulane Pro-Day at Saints indoor Facility on Airline.
http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... cart_river
Williams caught some passes from Griffin at the end of the session.

“He looked amazing,” Williams said. “He was leaps and bounds from when I left him when he was a freshman and I was a senior. He seems to have grown into his arm and his own body and he’s just really putting the ball on the money. I was proud to see him do so well.”

Williams said having pro day at the Saints facility instantly increased the intensity of the event. Williams attended pro day after his senior season in 2010 and there was a big difference, he said.

“When I came out of college of course we did it at Tulane and it was outdoors and everything,” Williams said. “This one seemed seemed a little more professional just because of the setting we were in. It was cool to do it in the facility where all the Saints were and all the Saints coaches. The Saints head coach (Sean Payton) was there. ... It was kind of like a mini-combine. I was fortunate enough to go to combine when I came out and when I did my pro day at Tulane, it just seemed a lot more at home and a lot more comfortable but this pro day was more like the combine. There were just different areas for different things.”

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Griff looking great today at Saints training camp.

@ParkerWaters: Ryan Griffin at Saints training camp today. Going long to Kenny Stills for a TD #saints #tulane http://t.co/ra8uvnET2u

Nice deep connection by QB Ryan Griffin hitting WR Kenny Stills deep over the middle as he led him perfectly for a 70 plus yard TD

@LarryHolder: Ryan Griffin just threw a laser to Preston Parker for a nice downfield grab. Korey Lindsey on coverage.
Tulane Class of 1981
dpm wave
Swell

Not sure how to embed tweets but here are some from today's practice:

Steve Geller @SteveGellerWWL
Ryan Griffin putting on a show today...feelin' it

Steve Geller ‏@SteveGellerWWL 27m
Ryan Griffin: terminology being pretty much the same as Tulane has helped a lot

Steve Geller ‏@SteveGellerWWL 27m
Griffin: always enjoy having a good day...(smiles) more autographs to sign

Mike Triplett @MikeTriplett
#Saints Ryan Griffin stays hot, hits Preston Parker deep. ... Third-string secondary not impressive today, Griffin taking advantage.

WWL-TV Sports @wwltvsports
Then Griffin sees Parker run right by Dion Turner on a go route for a 78-yd touchdown. That was followed by Rob Ryan cursing the defense

sean fazende @SeanFazende
Nice throw by Griffin on an out route to Nick Toon

Katherine Terrell @Kat_Terrell
Lots of chatter about Ryan Griffin today. He's made some nice throws
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

If Montana is better than Griffin, which many have predicted (though I'm not sold, based upon spring practice reviews) this team WILL go bowling in late December. If Griffin gets cut, or makes the practice squad, I'd hope CJ lands him as a graduate assistant if he doesn't sign elsewhere.

GO RYAN!

Roll Wave.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/20 ... rt_m-rpt-1
Rookie quarterback Ryan Griffin generated the most buzz of anyone during Wednesday's New Orleans Saints practice. The former Tulane standout got extra snaps with the third-team offense while veteran Seneca Wallace was nursing a groin injury. And he took advantage.

At one point, Griffin completed six straight passes during team drills, including three bombs against broken coverages in the secondary.

Griffin's prettiest pass of the day - a downfield strike to receiver Nick Toon.
Tulane Class of 1981
dpm wave
Swell

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

More good coverage on RG4....
http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/20 ... cart_river
RG4, a nickname given to him by Saints quarterback Drew Brees, stood under the blistering summer sun for nearly an hour after practice making sure anyone who wanted an autograph from a Saints player received it.

Griffin described the feeling of people waiting for his autograph as surreal when, just a few years ago, he was the teenager standing in line for a NFL signature.

"My mom would kill me if I wasn't out there. She's like, 'I remember when you went to training camp and people wouldn't sign your autographs,'" Griffin said in a mock impression of his mother. "She's always in my ear making sure I'm out there all the time."
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Griff played well last night in the Saints win over Oakland. He's a lock for the Saints practice squad unless another team picks him up during his release.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Just a few minutes ago, I heard Mickey Loomis (Saints GM) on NFL radio talking about McCown, and Griff. He said they signed McCown to be Brees' backup after Chase Daniel signed with the Chiefs (BTW: Chase Daniel got one of the richest contracts specifically for a backup in NFL history. $10 million with $5 million guaranteed!) Mickey said that Ryan has been a "developmental project" and that he's looked very good at times, and as a "developmental project thus far is looking good." He didn't come out and say that Griff will be a practice squad player, but hinted at it, noting that Brees never misses a game, McCown has been in the system (they cut him last year) etc.

I hope for Griff's sake that he makes the 53 man roster, even if he doesn't suit up with the 46 on game day. There's a HUGE difference (like moving the decimal over!) in pay between league minimum and practice squad player. Heck, it would be better for Griff to sign with a team that will put him on the 53 man roster rather than be on the practice squad. That being said, Chase Daniel bounced back and forth between the two in 2011.

Go Griff!

Roll Wave!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Thanks, Winwave. Man, ya gotta root for RG.

Roll Wave!
dpm wave
Swell

RG with a BEAUTIFUL TD pass to Tanner in the Texans game today!!!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

@ScottDKushner: Well Hokie Gajan just admitted he thought Ryan Griffin had no chance at being a pro prospect because he played at #Tulane but admits mistake
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:@ScottDKushner: Well Hokie Gajan just admitted he thought Ryan Griffin had no chance at being a pro prospect because he played at #Tulane but admits mistake
I was driving back from the panhandle listening to a game last year. Exact quote from Hokie as the refs were reviewing a catch: "Looks like the refs will overturn this one, unless they think he caught it?" He's terrible. People around here need to have higher standards in their announcers and reporters IMHO.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

After watching the Saints game yesterday, I'm thinking Ryan is a very legitimate backup. He might not have the name recognition and "sizzle" that others have, which might mean the Saints expose him in order to sign him the practice squad. I hope he makes the 53 man roster, but that's a long shot. Especially given Brees' history (he never misses a game!) Way to go, Ryan.

Roll Wave
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote:After watching the Saints game yesterday, I'm thinking Ryan is a very legitimate backup. He might not have the name recognition and "sizzle" that others have, which might mean the Saints expose him in order to sign him the practice squad. I hope he makes the 53 man roster, but that's a long shot. Especially given Brees' history (he never misses a game!) Way to go, Ryan.

Roll Wave
I couldn't stop thinking about TU players watching that game and realizing that they too can make the big show.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Saints play this Thursday as well. Sean Payton just announced that Ryan Griffin will play extensively. He is going to play at least 3/4's of the game. Its too bad we play on Thursday as well.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
JDTulane
Riptide

That is all.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

JDTulane wrote:That is all.
In 24 hours if not picked up he'll be added to the practice squad.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

With some NFL experienced QB's also being cut, it's almost certain that RG will clear waivers. If someone's going to bring in a stop-gap measure QB (for example, the Bills or Jets) they'd do so with someone that's already played in the league. The Saints are 99.99% going to add RG to the practice squad.

If added to the practice squad, it could turn into an opportunity for Ryan. He'd probably rather not clear waivers, though, since the NFL minimum is $405k. But Chase Daniel turned a stint on the practice squad into an opportunity that just got him a $10 million contract with $5 million guaranteed!
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote:With some NFL experienced QB's also being cut, it's almost certain that RG will clear waivers. If someone's going to bring in a stop-gap measure QB (for example, the Bills or Jets) they'd do so with someone that's already played in the league. The Saints are 99.99% going to add RG to the practice squad.

If added to the practice squad, it could turn into an opportunity for Ryan. He'd probably rather not clear waivers, though, since the NFL minimum is $405k. But Chase Daniel turned a stint on the practice squad into an opportunity that just got him a $10 million contract with $5 million guaranteed!
He's already been added back to the practice squad. This has been the inevitable outcome for weeks.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Picked back up today by the Saints and is now on the practice squad.
Tulane Class of 1981
CoachBrockhoff
High Tide

tpstulane wrote:Picked back up today by the Saints and is now on the practice squad.
:D