Ryan Griffin

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
wavedat
Swell

I'd say the article clearly says our program is an embarrassment. It pictures a flag football team and says that's what people might think of when thinking of Tulane football. The point here is that a lot of people refuse to get how far this program has fallen and so they don't understand that major changes are needed ASAP. Lip service that SC/RD appear to get it don't cut it. We were told 3 years ago about the new majors yet we don't have a single one. Our scheduling cries out that we are operating on the cheap more than ever. Our lack of advertising for football and basketball screams that less not more money is available for our programs. That's why we keep hammering the point home b/c some refuse to get it.

Tulane didn't have a stadium issue it had a program and facilities issues. To the new President- we want a new AD , a football facility and an IPF. We want top 25 programs in football and basketball the only two sports that count.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

wavedat wrote:I'd say the article clearly says our program is an embarrassment. It pictures a flag football team and says that's what people might think of when thinking of Tulane football. The point here is that a lot of people refuse to get how far this program has fallen and so they don't understand that major changes are needed ASAP. Lip service that SC/RD appear to get it don't cut it. We were told 3 years ago about the new majors yet we don't have a single one. Our scheduling cries out that we are operating on the cheap more than ever. Our lack of advertising for football and basketball screams that less not more money is available for our programs. That's why we keep hammering the point home b/c some refuse to get it.
Exactly.

The burden has to be on the ruling regime to show that whatever talk that there is about this and about that that might have some appeal to it is a lot more than mere empty talk.

The proof is in the results and another key is in funds spent on operations.

Unless and until those things change materially it's fair to assume that you're only dealing with the same-old same-old.
Last edited by Fred Dowler on Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

wavedat wrote:I'd say the article clearly says our program is an embarrassment. It pictures a flag football team and says that's what people might think of when thinking of Tulane football. The point here is that a lot of people refuse to get how far this program has fallen and so they don't understand that major changes are needed ASAP. Lip service that SC/RD appear to get it don't cut it. We were told 3 years ago about the new majors yet we don't have a single one. Our scheduling cries out that we are operating on the cheap more than ever. Our lack of advertising for football and basketball screams that less not more money is available for our programs. That's why we keep hammering the point home b/c some refuse to get it.
+1

A $50M stadium isn't a major change.
Green Wave
Swell

The way some NFL executives value win-loss records, they may think a 2-10 team like Tulane looks like this. Photo by Tulane Public Relations.
Some NFL executives.

:lol:
ROLL WAVE!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tnelly15 wrote:I honestly don't think the drop off from Griffin to Montana will be too significant.
Amen.

And the game Griff was the MVP of was like a minor league all star game of college football. Definitely nowhere near the caliber of the Senior Bowl. Someone posted above the Griff could be a late round draft pick of the Saints. That would be great for him to stay in N.O., but he'd have one hell of a tough time becoming the backup, as Chase Daniel is a very talented young man playing behind one of the top 3 QBs in the NFL.

I wish Griffin the best, and hope he makes it to the NFL. But I also wouldn't mind seeing him as a QB coach (or more likely graduate assistant) schooling the QB's on how to read defenses and set up the pass blocking. I think everyone associated with the offense said his ability to do this made all the difference between getting blown out and being competitive.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tnelly15
Riptide

Ryan didnt get an invite to the NFL Combine.
swampnik
Surge

Griffin also impressed at the Manning Camp last summer.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
JDTulane
Riptide

If a 50 million dollar stadium isn't a major change why is it suddenly the death toll for Tulane cfb? 8)
Fred Dowler
Riptide

JDTulane wrote:If a 50 million dollar stadium isn't a major change why is it suddenly the death toll for Tulane cfb? 8)
You mean "death knell" not "death toll," don't you?
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

JDTulane wrote:If a 50 million dollar stadium isn't a major change why is it suddenly the death toll for Tulane cfb? 8)
Frustrating that you'd ask given that numerous posters have answered that question ad nauseum. The reason you don't know is that you don't want to hear it.
Green Wave
Swell

This website projects RG to go in the 7th round and they listed him 12th.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/ds ... &genpos=QB

Now that would be kewl.
ROLL WAVE!
JDTulane
Riptide

God people have no culture! Death toll is the LDP movie set in NOLA.
Green Wave
Swell

Each man's death diminishes me,
For I am involved in mankind.
Therefore, send not to know
For whom the bell tolls,
It tolls for thee.
ROLL WAVE!
JDTulane
Riptide

:)
Green Wave
Swell

CBS sports projects Ryan Griffin as #12 QB in draft and predicts he will go in 7th round.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/play ... an-griffin

Go Ryan!
ROLL WAVE!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Green Wave wrote:CBS sports projects Ryan Griffin as #12 QB in draft and predicts he will go in 7th round.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/play ... an-griffin
Go Ryan!
Bad news. Ryan was not invited to the NFL combine.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1526 ... fl-combine
Here are some players who did not quite make the list, but could also be considered snubs in the eyes of many.
.... Ryan Griffin, Quarterback, Tulane: Even though Tulane struggled, Griffin has the size at 6'4" and 216 pounds to make an NFL roster in 2013.

.....Russell Shepard, Wide Receiver, LSU: Shepard did not put up the numbers he would have liked, but that was due in part to the problems at the quarterback position for the Tigers.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Saints?
http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/20 ... aj-story-2
This thread should go the the "Men & Women of Tulane Board"..........
Tulane Class of 1981
ajcalhoun
Swell

Does anyone know if Griffin will be working out at LSU's Pro Day. I read somewhere that Les Miles lets NFL prospects from any Louisiana school participate.
God Bless Everyone!
dpm wave
Swell

Could go anywhere from the 5th-7th rounds or enter an UDFA bidding war.

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... um=twitter
JerseyWave
Riptide

Wow! Could he be a late round pick? Gotta give some credit to CJ and Neu. No way Griffin was on anyone's radar under Toledo.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

He ran the Saints offense last season. Big advantage.
Tulane Class of 1981
Fred Dowler
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:He ran the Saints offense last season. Big advantage.
The Saints are going to do something about the QB spot.

If they were to draft Griffin one would have to hope that they will be able to take care of the LT spot and that Brees can continue to stay healthy (maybe a little harder to do as an older QB?) for at least a few more seasons.

OTOH being drafted in late rounds by Saints seems to have been a consistent good thing somehow from the standpoint of those players.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Ryan was at the baseball debacle today.
Tulane Class of 1981
dpm wave
Swell

Excellent write up by a Mr. Matt Waldman.
Ryan's dad even chimed in the comments section:
http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2013/02/04/tu ... ng-talent/
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Fred Dowler wrote:
tpstulane wrote:He ran the Saints offense last season. Big advantage.
The Saints are going to do something about the QB spot.

If they were to draft Griffin one would have to hope that they will be able to take care of the LT spot and that Brees can continue to stay healthy (maybe a little harder to do as an older QB?) for at least a few more seasons.

OTOH being drafted in late rounds by Saints seems to have been a consistent good thing somehow from the standpoint of those players.
What does drafting Griffin have to do with the Saints LT spot??