Tanner Lee

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
sader24
Tsunami

http://highschoolsports.nola.com/news/a ... s-starter/

This should be moved to recruiting board, but we've had recent discussion about him on the main board so it's somewhat relevant.

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

sader24 wrote:http://highschoolsports.nola.com/news/a ... s-starter/

This should be moved to recruiting board, but we've had recent discussion about him on the main board so it's somewhat relevant.
So much for the poster that said he lacked arm strength. I hope we can hold on to him. He's our future.
As for Lee’s future, LaMothe said, “If you’re looking for a pocket quarterback, a pro-style quarterback, he’s got the tools. He’s got all of the tangibles and the intangibles. He has a strong arm, probably the strongest arm of any kid I’ve coached (in 17 years). He has a great pocket presence. He can throw the deep out. He can throw every pass.”
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
wave runner
High Tide

+1 with him and the growth of Powell should be a great battle next year. I still think Lee fits our system better though.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Anyone know if there is a chance for early enrollment w/Lee. Would love to see the competition and also have him get a leg up on the learning curve. Even if he comes in 2nd for next season we'll need somebody ready as he'll be just one snap away from being the starter. Of course same thing goes for Bell from Cali. Would love at least one of them in early. Not sure how that works w/the different school systems.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Bham Wave
Ripple

I agree about getting another QB in for the spring. If the freshman can't do it we really need to look for a JC QB who can january enroll. We have all seen what happens when you try and play QB's who just started learning the system in August. Not good.

It is scary thought heading into next fall with a true Soph and two true freshman at QB.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:Anyone know if there is a chance for early enrollment w/Lee. Would love to see.
I doubt it because he coming from Jesuit. I don't see him getting a GED just to enroll a few months early and miss out on a Jesuit diploma. Public school kids are more likely to leave early than a private school one. Too much private educational money spent to wind up with a GED.
Just my opinion from personal experience.
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave QB
Swell

tpstulane wrote:

So much for the poster that said he lacked arm strength. I hope we can hold on to him. He's our future.
As for Lee’s future, LaMothe said, “If you’re looking for a pocket quarterback, a pro-style quarterback, he’s got the tools. He’s got all of the tangibles and the intangibles. He has a strong arm, probably the strongest arm of any kid I’ve coached (in 17 years). He has a great pocket presence. He can throw the deep out. He can throw every pass.”

I have seen this kid in action and I think his arm strength is just a one yard above average. However, he does throw great short passes and makes good decision. I think he will be fine in CJ's offense, but I also feel the Powell's stronger arm and lighter feet will have him starting above Lee.
tnelly15
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:

The arm strength comment would mean much more if I knew any QB's that LaMothe has coached.
Show Me
Tsunami

tnelly15 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

The arm strength comment would mean much more if I knew any QB's that LaMothe has coached.
I don't get bashing this kid's arm strengh. Do you believe in CuJo's ability to judge or one person on a message board that said the kid lacked arm strenght that is now back peddling and saying "1 yard above avg". (what is that?) I'll believe Curtis Johnson and LaMothe both coaches that have seen 100 times more kids throw than any of us. There's a difference between lacking in arm strenght vs superior arm strenght. The kid has a stronger arm than Ryan Griffin right now.
sader24
Tsunami

No way a kid from Jesuit is leaving early, or any Catholic League school. Amongst other reasons there is nothing that could've convinced me to pass up my last semester at BM. Way too much fun.
AugWave
Swell

Hm, feels good to actually read an article of a player with BEAST stats and he's firmly committed to Tulane. Feelsgoodman! :fastclap:
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
AugWave
Swell

sader24 wrote:No way a kid from Jesuit is leaving early, or any Catholic League school. Amongst other reasons there is nothing that could've convinced me to pass up my last semester at BM. Way too much fun.
Yeah, I could NEVER see myself leaving St. Aug early. The bonds at my school were too strong to just leave like that.
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

sader24 wrote:No way a kid from Jesuit is leaving early, or any Catholic League school. Amongst other reasons there is nothing that could've convinced me to pass up my last semester at BM. Way too much fun.
I agree. A few years back my nephew was being recruited by Tulane from St. Pauls and coach CBT wanted him to enroll early and get a GED. His mother, (my sister) was insulted with that suggestion.
Tulane Class of 1981
tnelly15
Riptide

I'm not bashing him or questioning his arm strength. As I've already said I havent seen him play and I'll wait and see what he does. I've bought the hype before on other guys and it's rarely true.
And I think if you guys were in Lee's position you would atleast give leaving early a thought, though I'm sure he wont. Would give him a much better chance at starting next year.
TU23
High Tide

I think only one kid from Jesuit ever left early for sports related reasons and that was Patrick Mullens, a soccer player who enrolled early at Maryland. Other than that, I can't think of that ever happening and I heard that Mullens had to get a GED.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

TU23 wrote:
I think only one kid from Jesuit ever left early for sports related reasons and that was Patrick Mullens, a soccer player who enrolled early at Maryland. Other than that, I can't think of that ever happening and I heard that Mullens had to get a GED.
Yes. I know of no Catholic school will give you a diploma if you don't complete all the requirements. GED bound for life if you choose to leave early.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

What I was wondering is if local schools now had a situation where you could complete you requirements early. Doesn't seem to be the case. Wonder about Bell out in California. We need someone in here to help out and get ready. Wouldn't mind a juco either but we all know the issues there sad to say.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wave QB
Swell

Show Me wrote:
tnelly15 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

I don't get bashing this kid's arm strengh. Do you believe in CuJo's ability to judge or one person on a message board that said the kid lacked arm strenght that is now back peddling and saying "1 yard above avg". (what is that?) I'll believe Curtis Johnson and LaMothe both coaches that have seen 100 times more kids throw than any of us. There's a difference between lacking in arm strenght vs superior arm strenght. The kid has a stronger arm than Ryan Griffin right now.
I am not taking back what I said. The kid lacks arm strengh. I used the " 1 yard above average " example for people like you to understand that I wasn't saying he had horrible arm strengh, but does need a little work. Don't take everything a run the wrong way with it. I think Lee is a solid QB and good recruit.
tnelly15
Riptide

winwave wrote:What I was wondering is if local schools now had a situation where you could complete you requirements early. Doesn't seem to be the case.
I cant speak for all schools, but I know it is available at some.
galvezwave
Swell

arm strength is important, but overrated. Some of the games best qb's were never lauded for their big arms. brees has slightly above average arm strength. steve young. Montana, brady, shaun king. every U of Houston QB ever. we've also seen guys with cannons that were atrocious. can you make the right read? Can you get the ball there.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

galvezwave wrote:arm strength is important, but overrated. Some of the games best qb's were never lauded for their big arms. brees has slightly above average arm strength. steve young. Montana, brady, shaun king. every U of Houston QB ever. we've also seen guys with cannons that were atrocious. can you make the right read? Can you get the ball there.
+1
Well said! Everything I've read and heard about this kid has been great. Bright, big, strong, quick release, can make all the throws, above avg arm strenght etc.
He's going to be a good one. I'm a Jesuit alum and want to see him play in person some this year. I understand he is much better now then what we currently see on film of him last season.
Tulane Class of 1981
galvezwave
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
galvezwave wrote:arm strength is important, but overrated. Some of the games best qb's were never lauded for their big arms. brees has slightly above average arm strength. steve young. Montana, brady, shaun king. every U of Houston QB ever. we've also seen guys with cannons that were atrocious. can you make the right read? Can you get the ball there.
+1
Well said! Everything I've read and heard about this kid has been great. Bright, big, strong, quick release, can make all the throws, above avg arm strenght etc.
He's going to be a good one. I'm a Jesuit alum and want to see him play in person some this year. I understand he is much better now then what we currently see on film of him last season.

I saw Jesuit on tv earlier this season. I think against Denham Springs. I thought he looked really good. They have a huge reciever that can really run. From the game I saw and the film, he looks like a QB. Reminds me of the McCarron kid at alabama. Doesnt "wow" you athletically, but you cant really find many weaknesses. He's heady. Didnt see him force anything. Runs the system. But he can cut it loose if he has to. In a perfect world, Powel gets much better and Lee redshirts. But I dont know if Powell can hold him off giving CJ's policy.
jmjclu
High Tide

I can not comment re a Jesuit diploma
Tulane is a private univ and is able to give early admission to a student with no high school diploma , and if he meets NCAA requirements re the GPA and core curriculum and SAT scores , etc ....he is able to enroll spring semester and possibly use the Tulane credits to satisfy a Jesuit diploma.
In the past students from Newman took courses at Tulane that fulfilled curriculum for each school.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

jmjclu wrote:I can not comment re a Jesuit diploma
Tulane is a private univ and is able to give early admission to a student with no high school diploma , and if he meets NCAA requirements re the GPA and core curriculum and SAT scores , etc ....he is able to enroll spring semester and possibly use the Tulane credits to satisfy a Jesuit diploma.
In the past students from Newman took courses at Tulane that fulfilled curriculum for each school.
I think we all understand that "Tulane is a private univ and is able to give early admission to a student with no high school diploma...." part. I think Newman and Tulane have a special relationship in that sense. Getting back to the comment of mid-semester entry I just don't see it.
Tulane Class of 1981
AugWave
Swell

galvezwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
+1

I saw Jesuit on tv earlier this season. I think against Denham Springs. I thought he looked really good. They have a huge reciever that can really run. From the game I saw and the film, he looks like a QB. Reminds me of the McCarron kid at alabama. Doesnt "wow" you athletically, but you cant really find many weaknesses. He's heady. Didnt see him force anything. Runs the system. But he can cut it loose if he has to. In a perfect world, Powel gets much better and Lee redshirts. But I dont know if Powell can hold him off giving CJ's policy.
Great comparison!!