Tanner Lee

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
lurker123
Swell

If the past is prelude then sure Lee will get benched after a few games. Absent injury he will certainly be given multiple shots in NFL as a training camp arm if nothing else. He has the physique and tools to project as an NFL QB so someone will always be interested to make an investment, especially if it is cheap.

If and where he'll be drafted, I won't guess. I wish him the best and hope he wins the Unitas Award, the Heisman and a national championship. Then he'll be a Top 10 draft choice and get a seven figure or more bonus. Otherwise maybe he's just a journeyman after playing bench jockey at UN. I've never cared for Nebraska but like most here I'll be keeping a positive eye on him this season.

He reflects well on New Orleans, Jesuit and, yes, Tulane. I wish he had stayed but I get why he left. Now back to Fritz and Tulane winning which is what again I and most of here really care about.

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

There is no doubt Tanner has a "live" arm. He's big enough at 6'3" and if he lights it up at Nebraska he'll be a very high pick. His Tulane film will be meaningless. I'm rooting for him. But based upon his two years as a starter at Tulane, we have to wait and see. It's one thing to be a great QB in practice, another to be a great QB when it's gametime. He had two good games at Tulane, and 16 or 17 lousy ones. Let's not crown him too early, or write him off before his big chance at Nebraska.

More importantly, let's wait until his first big test, which comes September 9th in Eugene, OR. The Ducks were not a defensive stalwart by any stretch of the imagination. Putting it frankly, Oregon fielded a horrible D last year (and Nebraska beat them in Lincoln.) If he does well in Eugene, let's see how he does the first two weeks in October (Wisconsin at home and Ohio State at home) before we start taking any of this preseason hype seriously. Again, I hope he lights it up. But I'm with "Show Me". I want to see it in meaningful games.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Wave QB
Swell

winwave wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
winwave wrote:Everyone agrees they had bad coaching. None of them did anything as our QB and clearly didn't show any special skills while playing here.
This. Plus, he's done so many bad games that it's unlikely that he will be drafted high (rounds 1-3) even if he has a season for the ages. He has way too much bad tape.
Zombie I think you misread my post. I was referring to Montana , Powell and Jordy.
Tanner Lee didn't do enough to exclude him from that list. Poor coaching and a terrible offensive line screwed all of those kids.
Wave QB
Swell

I do agree that Tanner's terrible Tulane performances won't hurt him if he has a good season at Nebraska. It's got to be great for Tanner to have a chance to face younger guys after being thrown to the wolves as a redshirt freshmen. Now, he will get to use everything he has learned in 5 years of collegiate football. I called his Tulane career spot on, but I expect him to see a better QB at Nebraska. He should be ready to roll.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wave QB wrote:
winwave wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
winwave wrote:Everyone agrees they had bad coaching. None of them did anything as our QB and clearly didn't show any special skills while playing here.
This. Plus, he's done so many bad games that it's unlikely that he will be drafted high (rounds 1-3) even if he has a season for the ages. He has way too much bad tape.
Zombie I think you misread my post. I was referring to Montana , Powell and Jordy.
Tanner Lee didn't do enough to exclude him from that list. Poor coaching and a terrible offensive line screwed all of those kids.

His skill set clearly set him apart from those three. None of them ever displayed the potential to play at the next level.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wave QB wrote:I do agree that Tanner's terrible Tulane performances won't hurt him if he has a good season at Nebraska. It's got to be great for Tanner to have a chance to face younger guys after being thrown to the wolves as a redshirt freshmen. Now, he will get to use everything he has learned in 5 years of collegiate football. I called his Tulane career spot on, but I expect him to see a better QB at Nebraska. He should be ready to roll.
It was the teams poor performance. Any scout watching him knows the mess that surrounded him. That's why schools like LSU and Nebraska wanted him while people like you claimed he needed to go to an FCS school if he wanted a chance to get any playing time.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
lurker123
Swell

For you sporting fans, UN is a 150-1 early entrant to win CFB NC. If you think Lee can go the distance, these are attractive odds considering UN is even today often over-bet.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-foo ... s/futures/
Aberzombie1892
Swell

lurker123 wrote:For you sporting fans, UN is a 150-1 early entrant to win CFB NC. If you think Lee can go the distance, these are attractive odds considering UN is even today often over-bet.

Anyone who bets on Nebraska winning the national title deserves to lose the money that they bet. If none of Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, or Michigan win the B1G, it would be a shocker, and Nebraska doesn't have the flagship OOC opponent (i.e. likely P5 conference champ) to pull a 2016 Ohio State. As a result, the odds of it even being selected in the top 4 is nil.
lurker123
Swell

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
lurker123 wrote:For you sporting fans, UN is a 150-1 early entrant to win CFB NC. If you think Lee can go the distance, these are attractive odds considering UN is even today often over-bet.

Anyone who bets on Nebraska winning the national title deserves to lose the money that they bet. If none of Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, or Michigan win the B1G, it would be a shocker, and Nebraska doesn't have the flagship OOC opponent (i.e. likely P5 conference champ) to pull a 2016 Ohio State. As a result, the odds of it even being selected in the top 4 is nil.
You are probably right. As I said UN is often over-bet (like the Yankees) so usually going against it consistently can be profitable. However when you spend $10 to rent an adult beverage at the Dome, a passing fancy bet on an ex-Tulanian paying 150-1 is reasonable.

Meanwhile last odds I saw on Tulane are 5000-1. After English bookies got massacred on Leicester winning EPL a couple of years ago, I'm surprised they are even that high. Again I would make the bet of a foregone adult beverage on Tulane out of pure sentimental speculative irrationality. Meanwhile thinking of Leicester, I wouldn't take such a bet if I were a bookie.
lurker123
Swell

This is a very timely reminder to all , excepting career ending injury, that somewhere, someplace, Tanner Lee will get a shot in the NFL even if he stinks up the joint in Lincoln.

Olson's college stats are completing one of three passes for -1 yard. That is not a typo.

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/7/28/1605 ... joe-flacco

Even today, Lee has a much longer college highlight reel and stands 6'4", 220 pounds.

"While Olson stands at 6’2, 220 pounds — decent size for a passer — he may have the least impressive athletic resume of any NFL quarterback ever."

Some may laugh but as long as you project the NFL QB physique and stay of out trouble, unlike Colin K., some NFL team will invite you to training camp for $1075 per week plus room, board and transportation and then most likely NFL minimum salary if you make the team. Pretty cheap labor for teams worth $1 billion-plus.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

lurker123 wrote:This is a very timely reminder to all , excepting career ending injury, that somewhere, someplace, Tanner Lee will get a shot in the NFL even if he stinks up the joint in Lincoln.

Olson's college stats are completing one of three passes for -1 yard. That is not a typo.

Even today, Lee has a much longer college highlight reel and stands 6'4", 220 pounds.

"While Olson stands at 6’2, 220 pounds — decent size for a passer — he may have the least impressive athletic resume of any NFL quarterback ever."

Some may laugh but as long as you project the NFL QB physique and stay of out trouble, unlike Colin K., some NFL team will invite you to training camp for $1075 per week plus room, board and transportation and then most likely NFL minimum salary if you make the team. Pretty cheap labor for teams worth $1 billion-plus.
He may or may not get an NFL tryout if he "stinks up the joint" at Nebraska. If he gets benched by the third game, and never sees the field again, it's a crapshoot for him to get an invite to a camp. Sometimes being in the right place, or having the right former coach whisper in someone's ear is all it takes. There's a lot of luck involved. Remember, if Giovanni Carmazzi, out of Hofstra, had lasted 4 more picks, the Patriots were going to take him and Brady would not have become a Patriot. Instead, after missing out on Carmazzi (whom never took an NFL snap) the Patriots waited three more rounds and took Brady in the 6th round.

NONE of us know what will happen. If you think you do, you're fooling yourself. Let Tanner play, and let his play speak for itself. Fact is, he wasn't even discussed as an NFL prospect two years ago when sports talk radio was discussing AAC QB prospects. Not even a mention.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
lurker123
Swell

To channel the sainted Bruce Miller from beyond, "OH BROTHER!" We're talking about Lee getting a chance to be a training camp arm in the NFL for $1200 a week (projecting future union rates) plus expenses. I didn't say drafted or preferred free agent or anything else about bonuses.

I will take that bet and throw in my house, car and used clothes. There are 32 teams in NFL. Based on Lee's resume to date and his current physical tools that unless he has permanent injuries, he will be in some NFL camp in August 2019 and who knows maybe it's next year???!!!

Olson's case sets about the lowest bar imaginable. Maybe you don't think Lee will but again I'll bet everything that Lee will exceed it.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

after 72 pages on ole Tanner, I thought he would have Grand Kids by now
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
greenphantom
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
lurker123 wrote:This is a very timely reminder to all , excepting career ending injury, that somewhere, someplace, Tanner Lee will get a shot in the NFL even if he stinks up the joint in Lincoln.

He may or may not get an NFL tryout if he "stinks up the joint" at Nebraska. If he gets benched by the third game, and never sees the field again, it's a crapshoot for him to get an invite to a camp. Sometimes being in the right place, or having the right former coach whisper in someone's ear is all it takes. There's a lot of luck involved. Remember, if Giovanni Carmazzi, out of Hofstra, had lasted 4 more picks, the Patriots were going to take him and Brady would not have become a Patriot. Instead, after missing out on Carmazzi (whom never took an NFL snap) the Patriots waited three more rounds and took Brady in the 6th round.

NONE of us know what will happen. If you think you do, you're fooling yourself. Let Tanner play, and let his play speak for itself. Fact is, he wasn't even discussed as an NFL prospect two years ago when sports talk radio was discussing AAC QB prospects. Not even a mention.
Agree. He was like the #30 prospect in his class his last year at Tulane. I do think he will do ok but a lot of the hype is coming from writers who have never watched him play but need something to write about. I said it when he entered Tulane and I still stand by it that he will be a late round NFL pick and get a shot. Time will tell.
Eaglewave
Swell

winwave wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:

Interesting. I have a question for you that would answer a question on just how special you believe Lee looked.

What would our record have been in 2013 had Tanner Lee started at QB?
Ball Sumrall!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

At least two more wins.
Eaglewave
Swell

winwave wrote:At least two more wins.
Maybe, maybe not. The Tanner Lee I watched vs Houston would have won 3 more in my eyes, but the Tanner I saw tossing picks like crazy would have went 2-10.
Ball Sumrall!
Wave QB
Swell

winwave wrote:
Wave QB wrote:
winwave wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:

His skill set clearly set him apart from those three. None of them ever displayed the potential to play at the next level.
Ridiculous. 23 TD's vs 21 INTs doesn't scream NFL potential or skill. Had Tanner been a senior with those stats, no NFL teams would have given him a tryout due to his "skill set" which you saw. Yes, coaching was a factor, but it wasn't just that. He was terrible as our starter. In fact, he wasn't ready to be our starter and shouldn't have been given the job in 2014. Getting his head kicked in didn't help him, but his poor decisions ruined any hopes of a good season.

Tanner Lee he has had enough time in the collegiate game to perform well. I will be surprised if he doesn't do well this year, but I won't be shocked based on what he showed as a starter vs FBS opponents.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

He's not a senior with those stats. Like most fans you put everything on the QB. The coaching and line were horrible and he had only started one year in HS. He made progress here and will continue to get better.
Jaxwave
Swell

I had assumed most of you guys were keen observers of football, but anybody who holds Lee's stats against him know nothing about the game. In as bad an offensive system with as bad an OL as Tulane has ever had, this kid was risking his life every time he dropped back. Any production was miraculously o us.
Wave QB
Swell

winwave wrote:He's not a senior with those stats. Like most fans you put everything on the QB. The coaching and line were horrible and he had only started one year in HS. He made progress here and will continue to get better.
I did not put everything on him. Your eyes must have skipped over the part when I stated that coaching was part of the problem. Tanner fans like you ignore his poor decision making. You never bashed the staff when Montana, Powell or Jordy took the snaps. The kids was terrible at Tulane. Hopefully he is great for Nebraska.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I most certainly bashed the coaching they got. However to compare any of them to Lee is absurd. It was clear that none of the three you mentioned had a high ceiling. His numbers improved from one year to the next and they would have continued to if he stayed.
Wave QB
Swell

winwave wrote:I most certainly bashed the coaching they got. However to compare any of them to Lee is absurd. It was clear that none of the three you mentioned had a high ceiling. His numbers improved from one year to the next and they would have continued to if he stayed.
In no way is it absurd when Lee stunk up the joint while starting. The kid was awful. At least you and a few the others got the results you wanted. And no, you didn't bash the coaches while the others were under center like you did when Lee was having a pick festival.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

He wasn't but you just keep trashing him and blame him for all of the ills under your boy CJ. Like I said professional scouts see his talent and understand the mess that was around him.
Show Me
Tsunami

winwave wrote:He wasn't but you just keep trashing him and blame him for all of the ills under your boy CJ. Like I said professional scouts see his talent and understand the mess that was around him.
+1,000