Tanner Lee

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
AugWave
Swell

People are REALLY gonna judge Devin Powell off what happened this past season? That's ridiculous. Everybody thought Ole Miss would be horrible last year, well... they weren't. They won a bowl game. Our OL was putrid during that game and Powell had to play behind them. He's a true freshmen and didn't know half of the playbook, with brand new coaches. He wasn't horrible, the team was. I bet now he's actually gonna have some success. People think he won't push for the starting job at all... Ridiculous. He has all the physical tools to be a great QB. He's taller than 6'3, actually has some muscle on him, has a good arm and can be mobile if he HAS to.

I can't wait to see how the QB's look during spring ball..

I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
TXWave88
Surge

I think Montana wins the job, but we should erase any memory of Powell's play last year. Even Peyton Manning or Drew Brees would suck when you get less than 2 seconds to throw the ball. He was forced to play when we were forced to play an OL that had no business being on a college field. Somehow they figured it out enough around midseason to at least give us 3-4 seconds to throw the ball when Griffin came back (either Griffin making the right calls, confidence, or whatever it was).

As for Lee, I believe he is on the RS track or at least I hope. If he redshirts, it means that there was no instance were he needed to play.
TU23
High Tide

I was actually impressed with some of Powell's play in the Ole Miss game. He simply wasn't ready, but he has some skills. We didn't do him any favors with a lack of running game and no pass protection. And for the record, I don't think Tanner Lee is as far off as some people think, either. Sure, he's not physically imposing, but he's got a good arm, is accurate and makes quick decisions. I agree that it is in his best interest to redshirt, but he's a lot farther along than some people think.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Had we not signed Nick Montana, Tanner Lee would have seen significant playing time. But I think he'll greatly benefit watching from the sidelines this coming season.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave QB
Swell

tpstulane wrote:Had we not signed Nick Montana, Tanner Lee would have seen significant playing time. But I think he'll greatly benefit watching from the sidelines this coming season.
Had we not signed Nick Montana, Powell would be the starting QB hands down. I don't see Lee beating him out for the job. People seem to forget that Powell faced two bowl winning programs at showed some solid tools. Against Tulsa, the kid was 8 for 16 with 110 and 1 TD. With a offensive line that wouldn't let him breath, he completed 22 of 41 passes against Ole Miss. Powell was a very good pick up from the 2012 class.

Montana throws great short passes and has a solid deep ball. If he wins the starting role, I think we all are going to love the fact that he HATES LOSING! I saw a clip of him heatbroken after a 38-21 loss to OSU his freshman year at UW. The kid was in tears after the game, but was fired up for his next shot at starting. That's the kind of players we need to turn this thing around. Please don't think CJ is just trying to promote this kid when he says "this kid is a winner". Montana will have so much to prove with his career at Tulane. His dad is a hall of famer, and his brother Nate just couldn't get his career going at 3 schools. Nick is the better of the two brothers, but has yet to shine in the division I ranks. I am glad that CJ is giving him a chance to prove himself.
kingcole
Low Tide

Just read where Mr. Tanner threw for 188yds and 2 TD's in the NO-Jeff Allstar game
Dave breslin
Swell

I do believe that QB is in good shape for the next few years with Montana/Powell/lee. Give these guys a decent running game and adequate protection and young people will see a TU offense they have never seen! Shades of Roch and Terrence and Shawn. Along withJP and Pat, we've HAD good QB's and the future is bright But we all know where the game starts. It's the OL
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

You'll see him playing on Sundays when he's done at Tulane.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I hope so. I like him a lot too.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:You'll see him playing on Sundays when he's done at Tulane.
That's bold coming from Mr. TPS. If true than I can only believe that he will also play in a few bowl games.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:You'll see him playing on Sundays when he's done at Tulane.
That's bold coming from Mr. TPS. If true than I can only believe that he will also play in a few bowl games.
Just repeating from what I heard from our QB coach Mike Neu.
Tulane Class of 1981
JDTulane
Riptide

Go Blue Jays
tnelly15
Riptide

:lame:
JDTulane wrote:Go Blue Jays
Wave QB
Swell

Mike Neu has special bond with this kid and has the passion to coach him up to be a good Qb. However, I believe that Lee is two or three years away from being ready to shine on a division I level. Instead of him wasting a year being a third string QB this season, (because he is not going to start over Powell or Montana), CJ needs to sit him out a year. From what I saw from his film and my own eyes, Lee has some good tools, but he needs to be redshirted. What I am loving about CJ is the fact that he is bringing in "all" solid QB's with raw talent and wheels. This is going to make instant QB battles every single season. I love it.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wave QB wrote:Mike Neu has special bond with this kid and has the passion to coach him up to be a good Qb. However, I believe that Lee is two or three years away from being ready to shine on a division I level. Instead of him wasting a year being a third string QB this season, (because he is not going to start over Powell or Montana), CJ needs to sit him out a year. From what I saw from his film and my own eyes, Lee has some good tools, but he needs to be redshirted. What I am loving about CJ is the fact that he is bringing in "all" solid QB's with raw talent and wheels. This is going to make instant QB battles every single season. I love it.
Lee is in summer school now and taking a full load, coming from Jesuit I don't see him being a 5 year student (he'll be done in less than 4 years). If he's good enough to play he's going to play. CJ doesn't believe in redshirting if a kid can contribute. We'll see what happens (Injuries and such).
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Wave QB wrote:Mike Neu has special bond with this kid and has the passion to coach him up to be a good Qb. However, I believe that Lee is two or three years away from being ready to shine on a division I level. Instead of him wasting a year being a third string QB this season, (because he is not going to start over Powell or Montana), CJ needs to sit him out a year. From what I saw from his film and my own eyes, Lee has some good tools, but he needs to be redshirted. What I am loving about CJ is the fact that he is bringing in "all" solid QB's with raw talent and wheels. This is going to make instant QB battles every single season. I love it.
I can agree in many ways, but do we have a 3rd stringer, not looking forward to another version of 2012 (fingers crossed).
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:
Lee is in summer school now and taking a full load, coming from Jesuit I don't see him being a 5 year student (he'll be done in less than 4 years). If he's good enough to play he's going to play. CJ doesn't believe in redshirting if a kid can contribute. We'll see what happens (Injuries and such).
If he is better as a true frosh than either Montana or Powell or needs to see the field this year for any reason, we got problems. And that's in no way an indictment of Lee, just a generic statement that his redshirt should be inevitable since there should be no way he plays a down this season.

I am intrigued by what I hear about this kid, but pretty skeptical given some of the past hyperbole. Lot of folks have cried wolf a number of times in the past.
sader24
Tsunami

I think he'll be ahead of Powell sooner rather than later.
Wave QB
Swell

sader24 wrote:I think he'll be ahead of Powell sooner rather than later.
:lol:

I can't wait for Powell to answer your question Sader. Ya'll are sleeping on this kid after being thrown into SEC and top FBS fire last season. Lee won't jump in front of him on the depth chart.

tpstulane wrote: Lee is in summer school now and taking a full load, coming from Jesuit I don't see him being a 5 year student (he'll be done in less than 4 years). If he's good enough to play he's going to play. CJ doesn't believe in redshirting if a kid can contribute. We'll see what happens (Injuries and such).
CJ doesn't have a problem with starting true freshman if they are just great players, needed because of an injury, or because a lack of skilled upperclassman in a position. However, CJ also believes that a skilled freshman with good tools can be redshirted. Fans are going to see this in players like Nathan Shenile this year. Lee should be in that number. Jordy can hold down the 3rd string slot at this point. I sure hope CJ redshirts this kid. I really think that Lee will be a very good QB in time because he does show good skills and the ability to make good decisions under heat.
Last edited by Wave QB on Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Wave QB wrote:

I can't wait for Powell to answer your question Sader. Ya'll are sleeping on this kid after being thrown into SEC and top FBS fire last season. Lee won't jump in front of him on the depth chart.
CJ certainly is not giving the job to anyone from what I heard in the spring and yes we would be in deep trouble if Lee plays significant time this year. Competition is great and in particular it is nice to see that talented kids want to be here despite the risk that they may not play, those are the sort of problems that better programs have the luxury of dealing with. Despite the numbers, I thought Powell showed poise in what was an awful situation.
TXWave88
Surge

I hope they all succeed but CJ went after Montana only for a few reasons. 1) Only had 2 qbs on the current roster. 2) Talented available QB that was open to Tulane (meaning that maybe he goes after Cam Newton if he was out there, but not probably not a great chance of getting him) 3) CJ was not 100% confident in Powell for this upcoming year. After Spring ball, maybe CJ is confident in Powell, only he knows that but he got Montana to come in to be the reliable starter. If Montana does not start, then I hope it is because someone else stepped up and is better, not the other way around where Montana fizzled during the competition. I do not think we went and picked up a JUCO QB so he can be a career backup player.
Wave QB
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:
Wave QB wrote:

CJ certainly is not giving the job to anyone from what I heard in the spring and yes we would be in deep trouble if Lee plays significant time this year. Competition is great and in particular it is nice to see that talented kids want to be here despite the risk that they may not play, those are the sort of problems that better programs have the luxury of dealing with. Despite the numbers, I thought Powell showed poise in what was an awful situation.

Powell was a raw freshman behind a horrible offensive line. As many here remember, I wanted him redshirted as well. I expect Montana to win the starting job, but I think Powell will make him work harder to play well and keep his job. I love what I see from CJ at this point.
DrBox
Riptide

WE can get quarterbacks in here. Redshirting is a tertiary concern. Hopefully at some point we'll be able to redshirt linemen, though. If he's a player, get him some experience if you can.
ajcalhoun
Swell

DrBox wrote:WE can get quarterbacks in here. Redshirting is a tertiary concern. Hopefully at some point we'll be able to redshirt linemen, though. If he's a player, get him some experience if you can.
This.
Skill positions have never been a problem for us as Louisiana is swimming with skill position athletes. The difference between us and the SEC is fast, athletic lineman.
God Bless Everyone!