Tanner Lee

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
Eaglewave
Swell

DrBox wrote:WE can get quarterbacks in here. Redshirting is a tertiary concern. Hopefully at some point we'll be able to redshirt linemen, though. If he's a player, get him some experience if you can.

6'5 318 Colton Hanson and 6'5 317 Nathan Shienle are two lineman who could have played last season, but CJ redshirted them. Look for them to make an impact on the offensive line this season. It would be great to redshirt every single true freshman this season, but I think we will see Taylor and KSM getting some PT.

Redshirting is a secondary concern for this team. We have two QB's who are good enough to win with this schedule and a third string who has had enough time to learn the system and even being coached up to play well. Bringing on a kid like Tanner Lee to redshirt for a year is a sign of improvement to the talent and depth chart to our program. As many recruiting experts have expressed in their reviews for Lee, he is the perfect example of a new QB needing a redshirt. Although he did show signs of an BCS level recruit on some plays for the Blue Jays last season, he still lacks experience as a starting QB even on the high school level. That is one of the main reasons why he was not heavily recruited. A redshirt will only help him get ready to rumble with Powell for the starting job in 2015.

Montana is a winner who is ready to prove to himself and others watching him that he can play football on a division I level. He brings so much to the table for Tulane football. Besides the media attention because of his name, the kid has a solid arm and can make plays with his feet. Powell has a very strong arm and has shown poise in the pocket against FBS level defenses. He has had a year to sit back and learn the playbook and has impressed the coachig staff during the spring.

As Jonathanjo said, we have problems if Lee is needed on the field this season. CJ needs to clean shop with all of these guys if Lee comes in a looks better than them. However, I know for a fact that Lee is no where on Montana's level and will not move in front of Powell this season. In fact, I really believe that he knows this, but is going to try his best to prove himself. That's what we need in this program. QB battles and week by week starting wars.

Ball Sumrall!
sader24
Tsunami

Lots of stuff in this post is debatable.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Dumb question, does a non-medical redshirt need to be established before the season. Meaning can Lee suit up as the 3rd stringer and if he doesn't play be a non-medical redshirt?
GreenMenace
Low Tide

Lee will and should redshirt this year, but the kid has the potential to be one of if not the best QB we've signed in a very long time.
TU23
High Tide

mbawavefan12 wrote:Dumb question, does a non-medical redshirt need to be established before the season. Meaning can Lee suit up as the 3rd stringer and if he doesn't play be a non-medical redshirt?
You can suit up every game and as long as you don't play, you can apply for a redshirt at the end of the year.
Last edited by TU23 on Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wave QB
Swell

Lee has the tools to be a solid QB who can win games games, but he needs to be polished. I said the same thing about Powell last season, but CJ had more of a reason to allow him to play as a true freshman than he has in Lee. Even though I feel that Powell will be leading this offense in 2015, I wish Lee the best at Tulane.

What ever happens, I am just glad to see QB's with tools fighting to start for the Green Wave. CJ is bringing us to another level very soon. All of his first year haters better get ready to eat crow!
sader24
Tsunami

I didn't really see any first year haters. I saw some people question the organization on the sideline which was deserved and some of the play calling which was also deserved. I think pretty much all the criticism I've read and/or heard was not HATING but simply things that needed some improvement in his first year as a Head Coach. Since when did any criticism at all become "HATING"?
sader24
Tsunami

Also, the starting QB in 2015 will either be Tanner Lee or a combination of Tanner Lee and Couilette if he signs with us.
Eaglewave
Swell

sader24 wrote:Also, the starting QB in 2015 will either be Tanner Lee or a combination of Tanner Lee and Couilette if he signs with us.
You do know that Powell will still be on the team right?
Ball Sumrall!
Wave QB
Swell

sader24 wrote:I didn't really see any first year haters. I saw some people question the organization on the sideline which was deserved and some of the play calling which was also deserved. I think pretty much all the criticism I've read and/or heard was not HATING but simply things that needed some improvement in his first year as a Head Coach. Since when did any criticism at all become "HATING"?

Oh please Sader! There was plenty of hating on this board and the other once this man was hired. You might want to read a few past post on CJ. I know that some were giving him criticism on a few things, but some were hating also. I rememeber going back and forth with you on a few post as well. In fact, you have already agreed to eat crow in past topic about CJ if you were wrong. However, after reading other post from you here since then, I do respect your insight.
sader24
Tsunami

Yes I do know that Powell will not have graduated from college by that time. I think Lee fits the system we are running better and I think or at least everything that I've heard from people who've watched Couillette play is that he's going to be hard to keep off the field. Nothing personal against Powell, I just don't think he's the future here. If I'm wrong I'm wrong, as long as we win I don't really care who plays where or when or how much.
Wave QB
Swell

sader24 wrote:Yes I do know that Powell will not have graduated from college by that time. I think Lee fits the system we are running better and I think or at least everything that I've heard from people who've watched Couillette play is that he's going to be hard to keep off the field. Nothing personal against Powell, I just don't think he's the future here. If I'm wrong I'm wrong, as long as we win I don't really care who plays where or when or how much.

We shall see. It is good to be able to debate talented young QB's. I don't think we have seen enough wins to say who fits the system just yet. I am picking Powell to start over Lee easy. A few of Couillette's highlights look pretty nice, but I haven't seen much of him just yet.
GreenMenace
Low Tide

Lee got some more ink in yesterday's TP....just sayin'.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Don't be surprised if you see him sometime behind center this year. Just sayin'........ :headbash: :headbash: :headbash: :psst: :psst: :psst:
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
tnelly15
Riptide

If he's taking meaningful snaps I don't think that's good at all. I hope you're talking about garbage time.
Show Me
Tsunami

tnelly15 wrote:If he's taking meaningful snaps I don't think that's good at all. I hope you're talking about garbage time.
Just saw Ed Daniels WGNO Sports, he led the show off with Tanner Lee, "He's been outstanding", quoting CJ, "Tanner Lee is making things very interesting".
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote:
tnelly15 wrote:If he's taking meaningful snaps I don't think that's good at all. I hope you're talking about garbage time.
Just saw Ed Daniels WGNO Sports, he led the show off with Tanner Lee, "He's been outstanding", quoting CJ, "Tanner Lee is making things very interesting".
I just saw that as well. CJ made it seem like it's not that the other two aren't performing, but Lee has just been outstanding.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Green Wave
Swell

Tanner Lee's senior year at Jesuit he had a TD to Int ratio of 12.5 to 1!

25 touchdowns vs 2 interceptions.
ROLL WAVE!
wavedat
Swell

Our offense was extremely non impressive at the spring game. As absurd as it seems on the face of it Lee could actually have a chance.
Tulane didn't have a stadium issue it had a program and facilities issues. To the new President- we want a new AD , a football facility and an IPF. We want top 25 programs in football and basketball the only two sports that count.
sader24
Tsunami

This much I know, Lee has the right mindset 100% and the right work ethic 100%. I'm not saying that the others dont, but I just know this about Lee. What I've seen more and more in the NFL and now into college (especially with the offense we are trying to run) is that over the last decade it's become more and more about work ethic, preparation, and straight out desire when it comes to the QB position. What everyone is looking for these days is the QB that studies his a## off, isn't distracted by outside stuff, and is very mature for his age. Manziel is spitting in the face of that, but his talent is off the charts. I'm not knocking down the other two guys as much as I'm saying that Lee has really good talent, but even more than that he's exactly what the staff is looking for in the locker room and off the field. He has an NFL mindset right now, I don't think you can say that about Powell, and Montana's biggest issue has been his mindset in his career. I agree that it's not a good sign if Lee is playing extensive minutes early and often this year (for this season). The ideal situation is one where Montana comes in and wins the job and plays well this year and Powell does a good enough job to allow us to redshirt Lee this year. Then Lee comes in next season as a Redshirt Freshman just like Eli did at Ole Miss and plays good minutes and leads the program for 3 years after that. As big as I am on Lee I hope that's how it all works out because I think that gives us the best chance to win now and win bigger down the road. However, there's no doubt in my mind that CJ and the Offensive Coaches consider this an open competition and if Lee is better than the other two now the coaches are going to play him now.
greenphantom
Swell

I'm too excited about Lee but I would take CJ's comments with a grain of salt. First, he always says nice things about his players. Second, and most importantly, camp hasn't even started yet. We need to at least wait and see how he does once the real practices begin. I wouldn't dismiss Powell just yet either.
GreenMenace
Low Tide

Tanner Lee is the future, but anything less than a redshirt for him would be extremely disappointing.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

sader24 wrote:Lots of stuff in this post is debatable.
AMEN!

Sader, we agree on something! :)

If CJ hasn't ruled Tanner Lee out of the starting QB battle, I don't see how all of the armchair QB's can. Certainly neither Montana nor Powell stepped up enough in the Spring to be named the starter. Montana suffered from inconsistent accuracy, though you don't expect we went after a JUCO to have him sit. I do know that as recently as CJ's TV appearance (Sun or Mon?) that he wasn't planning to redshirt Tanner.

Roll Wave
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
JerseyWave
Riptide

Lee could have a bright future at Tulane, but there are very few instances in major college football where a true freshman was successful. If Lee is playing in 2013, then we are probably in trouble and I will be very disappointed with the younger Montana.
Show Me
Tsunami

JerseyWave wrote:Lee could have a bright future at Tulane, but there are very few instances in major college football where a true freshman was successful. If Lee is playing in 2013, then we are probably in trouble and I will be very disappointed with the younger Montana.
We're not playing in the SEC here, freshman can have an impact in CUSA. Besides Johnny Manziel a RS freshman (had zero DI playing time) just won the Heisman playing in the SEC. So that's BS you can't win with a freshman QB. The best talent will play under CJ. If that's Lee so be it. Each kid brings a different strength to the QB battle. Montana has the experience, Powell the arm strength and Lee raw ability with the greatest upside of the three. I'm ok with either one of those three. I think Montana on paper at this point looks to give us the best chance to win because of his previous experience on the JC level. But none of the three have enough DI playing experience to go on.