Tanner Lee

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

JerseyWave wrote:
puffy wrote:When was the last time Tulane lost its starting quarterback to transfer?

Jonathan Quinn started a couple of games for Buddy Teevens(1994), then transferred to Middle Tennessee State. He played for the Kansas City Chiefs in the NFL.
Good memory.
http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/pla ... inn-1.html
He's was a victim of a multi million dollar scam that was featured on American Greed on CNBC

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
greenphantom
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:while I have been critical of the young man's abilities, I wish the best for him and his family... This shows that Fritz will be installing the SVO this spring...it looks iike the QB from Oklahoma will be enrolling at Texas A/M.... the Allen kid from Texas A/M will be enrolling at Houston and sit out one year...the other QB from A?M will be at TCU
+1. I've been very critical of his play but he seems like a class act and I do think he has a bright future. Hope to seen him do well.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
puffy wrote:When was the last time Tulane lost its starting quarterback to transfer?
Bubby Brister after playing his second season he left at the end of 1983 and transferred to NE La. Later went on to have a nice NFL career.
What a cluster F the Wally English year(s) were. I can't remember whether he was here for one year or two.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:

Jonathan Quinn started a couple of games for Buddy Teevens(1994), then transferred to Middle Tennessee State. He played for the Kansas City Chiefs in the NFL.
Good memory.
http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/pla ... inn-1.html
He's was a victim of a multi million dollar scam that was featured on American Greed on CNBC
Actually I don't think he ever got to start at Tulane. I remember thinking he should be our starter. He always stayed after practice working on his game and looked good doing it. Did well at MTSU and got some time in the NFL.

Sorry to hear about him getting scammed.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
puffy
Surge

tpstulane wrote:
Bubby Brister after playing his second season he left at the end of 1983 and transferred to NE La. Later went on to have a nice NFL career.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... -m6eN6sa6w

Link to an old newspaper clip about Brister leaving Tulane.

http://www.nytimes.com/1983/09/18/sport ... 34-28.html

NY Times article a few days later on TU's victory over FSU after Brister left.
Wave QB
Swell

Good luck to Tanner Lee. It would be wise for him to enroll at a FCS program.
Wave QB
Swell

Wave755 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
swampnik wrote:good luck Tanner! hope you'll be playing at D1 level next year at Ball State or another college.
Wow that would be cool!
A Tanner Lee reunion at Ball State with new HC coach Mike Neu just might happen, and let's hope unlike for the Wave, Ball State actually has an offensive line.
Good luck Tanner, live long and prosper, and I will choose to remember only the beautiful passes you threw while at Tulane. :D
I will always remember him being a defensive back's dream. I am now extremely excited about this new staff. WF knew that there is no way that this kid was going to be his starter.

Sorry folks, it's time to win games. The CJ story has ended. The Tanner Lee dream died after the Tulsa game.
puffy
Surge

“They were frank with me,” he (TL) said. “They said I could come in and compete in the spring and if I won the job, Fritz said no matter what, he’s always found a way to be successful with what he’s got. I believe that’s what he’s going to do.”
and
Lee’s options are more limited. Unless he wins an unlikely hardship appeal he is considering, he will have to sit out a season if he transfers to an FBS program and would have one year of eligibility left in 2017.
http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com/sp ... o-transfer

A couple of things I took from the article:

1) Fritz has made it clear that there is no incumbent starter on his team. While I LOVE this, I'm sure this didn't sit well with Lee's camp.

2) I'm guessing that he isn't as close to graduating as some here thought he might be. I suppose he can play at an FCS school for one season, then transfer into an FBS school for his graduate year.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I wish Tanner Lee nothing but the best. As others have noted, for reasons debated till the cows come home, I don't think Tanner was able to play to his potential at Tulane. I think the rumors about him going to Stanford or Michigan were nothing more than rumors. I hope wherever he goes, he is able to reach his potential. He'll only play one more year, unless he goes the FCS route (where the most successful teams run a spread/read option type offense). More importantly, I wish him the best in life after football.

As far as Bubby Brister goes, he threw a hissy fit when Jon English came on to start the second half and rally the team the game before the FSU game. Rumors at the time swirled around campus that Bubby's father went to Eamon Kelly demanding that he order Coach English to restore Bubby's job. It didn't happen, so Bubby took his ball and moved to another sandbox. It wasn't at the end of the season, it was quite early in the year.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
wave97
Swell

DfromCT wrote:I wish Tanner Lee nothing but the best. As others have noted, for reasons debated till the cows come home, I don't think Tanner was able to play to his potential at Tulane. I think the rumors about him going to Stanford or Michigan were nothing more than rumors. I hope wherever he goes, he is able to reach his potential. He'll only play one more year, unless he goes the FCS route (where the most successful teams run a spread/read option type offense). More importantly, I wish him the best in life after football.

As far as Bubby Brister goes, he threw a hissy fit when Jon English came on to start the second half and rally the team the game before the FSU game. Rumors at the time swirled around campus that Bubby's father went to Eamon Kelly demanding that he order Coach English to restore Bubby's job. It didn't happen, so Bubby took his ball and moved to another sandbox. It wasn't at the end of the season, it was quite early in the year.
Bubba, as he was known then, injured his throwing shoulder during summer camp prior to the '83 season and I don't think he ever fully recovered. Brister tried to play through the pain but Coach English soon inserted his Son, Jon to play. Jon was not nearly as talented as Bubby but he had pretty good command of the offensive scheme.
The shoulder injury was very unfortunate for both Bubby & Tulane, that '83 team had some very good players.
ajcalhoun
Swell

wave97 wrote:offensive scheme.
The shoulder injury was very unfortunate for both Bubby & Tulane, that '83 team had some very good players.
Not to mention a waste of the forty grand we paid him to sign with us.
God Bless Everyone!
posse
High Tide

Wave QB wrote:Good luck to Tanner Lee. It would be wise for him to enroll at a FCS program.

I think Tanner signs with Mike Neu, the newly named head coach at Ball St.....Neu was Lee's neighbor, and very instrumental in getting him to come to Tulane, but then left for a position coach with the Saints.....
greenphantom
Swell

Has anyone heard from JJ? He's awfully quiet and I hope he didnt do anything drastic after hearing the news. In other news, the Ball State message board has added some new members-wincardinal, munciepete and Jonathan.
JTLiuzza
Swell

Jonathan wrote:Fifty seven pages on Lee on this thread. Are we crazy?
Nothing personal but this is the first of your posts that I am on board with 100%. There's another thread on him as well. Almost 1,500 posts over a three year period discussing what has been a non-event college quarterback. You often use the phrase, "get a life." For once, you missed a golden opportunity.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
Wave QB
Swell

posse wrote:
Wave QB wrote:Good luck to Tanner Lee. It would be wise for him to enroll at a FCS program.

I think Tanner signs with Mike Neu, the newly named head coach at Ball St.....Neu was Lee's neighbor, and very instrumental in getting him to come to Tulane, but then left for a position coach with the Saints.....
I know who he is. SMH

Tanner Lee needs to go to the FCS or division II ranks at least for a year. His confidence has been shattered and he needs to take a step down before he can move forward.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

And of course there's cardinalphantom, ballstqb and winglesscardinal going there to hate on him.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
swampnik
Surge

I never understood how bith Brister and Quinn were chose for NFL careers , yet Terrence Jones never got a shot.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

swampnik wrote:I never understood how bith Brister and Quinn were chose for NFL careers , yet Terrence Jones never got a shot.
I may be wrong but Terrance was chosen by the Chargers, I think the third round as a running back...he decided to play in the CFL
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
wave97
Swell

swampnik wrote:I never understood how bith Brister and Quinn were chose for NFL careers , yet Terrence Jones never got a shot.
The NFL has a long history of discounting mobility, particularly in the 70's & 80's. There was a lot of the dual threat QB talent but they were running the bone/veer. Today there is still a difficult transition for QB's & OL with NFL aspirations.
If you ever want to see an absolute travesty for wasted talent check out this reel of Reggie Collier (the original Cam Newton):
phpBB [video]
RobertM320
Green Wave

wave97 wrote:The NFL has a long history of discounting mobility, particularly in the 70's & 80's. There was a lot of the dual threat QB talent but they were running the bone/veer. Today there is still a difficult transition for QB's & OL with NFL aspirations.
If you ever want to see an absolute travesty for wasted talent check out this reel of Reggie Collier (the original Cam Newton):
Great video, Wave97. I remember Collier. He was dynamic. That was back when Southern Miss was willing to play anyone, anywhere to get their program seen. At that time, though, not only did the NFL discount mobility, they also tended to shy away from black QB's. James Harris and Doug Williams were the few exceptions at that time.

From Wikipedia
He accepted a scholarship to play for the University of Southern Mississippi under head coach Bobby Collins who was using the veer offense and promised him that he could play quarterback.

His junior year in 1981 was one for the ages, when he became the first quarterback in NCAA Division I history to pass and rush for over 1,000 yards in a single season. He also accomplished several noteworthy victories in school history, against Mississippi State University, Florida State University and tying the University of Alabama 13-13 at Legion Field in Birmingham, when he led the offense down the field for a dramatic game-tying field goal. He finished with a 9-1-1 record of and was ninth in the Heisman Trophy voting.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
greenphantom
Swell

winwave wrote:And of course there's cardinalphantom, ballstqb and winglesscardinal going there to hate on him.
that was pretty good but actually the Ball St message board has been pretty impressed thus far with the insights of these new posters. On the other hand, the board admin is considering banning cardinalwave, MunciePete and Jonathan as they share the same IP address. They traced it to WJHS, the Jesuit High School radio and TV station.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

greenphantom wrote:
winwave wrote:And of course there's cardinalphantom, ballstqb and winglesscardinal going there to hate on him.
that was pretty good but actually the Ball St message board has been pretty impressed thus far with the insights of these new posters. On the other hand, the board admin is considering banning cardinalwave, MunciePete and Jonathan as they share the same IP address. They traced it to WJHS, the Jesuit High School radio and TV station.
Wrong again. I don't know what's worse, your attempts at humor or your lack of football knowledge. .
Jonathan
Riptide

Why is not our new head coach Willie Fritz in studio? Tanner and CJ are history.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Jonathan wrote:Why is not our new head coach Willie Fritz in studio? Tanner and CJ are history.
Jonathan, why do you "hide" when you post ?
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
RobertM320
Green Wave

Jonathan wrote:Why is not our new head coach Willie Fritz in studio? Tanner and CJ are history.
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Must be those multiple degrees Jonathan has. This goes way over my head.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson