Tanner Lee

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
JerseyWave
Riptide

I would put this as the exclamation point on the disaster created by Cowen/Dickson/CJ. Lee and all of his teammates deserved better than the cr@p leadership and coaching they went through the past several years.

Clearly, Fritz is implementing his offense immediately and Lee did not fit. I wish Tanner would have graduated before moving onto the next chapter of his football career and wish him all the best.

winwave
Top of the WAVE

This leaves us woefully thin at QB. I hope we can flip Scott and get an experienced transfer.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
swampnik
Surge

good luck Tanner! hope you'll be playing at D1 level next year at Ball State or another college.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

swampnik wrote:good luck Tanner! hope you'll be playing at D1 level next year at Ball State or another college.
Wow that would be cool!
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
puffy
Surge

Getting Scott must be priority number 1 now for Tulane. Haven't seen much of anything on Cuillette but I have to believe it will be between him and the best qb recruit Fritz can sign.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

In his limited reps at practice Cuillette has shown he can execute the run portion of the read option. The new staff will have to work w/him on the passing aspect to make him much more consistent. The previous staff couldn't draw that out of him but this much better staff hopefully can.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Have to have a ton of respect for how Lee was constantly getting demolished and also how he exited the program. I will be cheering for his success.
Wave755
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
swampnik wrote:good luck Tanner! hope you'll be playing at D1 level next year at Ball State or another college.
Wow that would be cool!
A Tanner Lee reunion at Ball State with new HC coach Mike Neu just might happen, and let's hope unlike for the Wave, Ball State actually has an offensive line.
Good luck Tanner, live long and prosper, and I will choose to remember only the beautiful passes you threw while at Tulane. :D
anEngineer
Riptide

What I don't get is the judgement of Tanner Lee leaving now. As a 4th year junior, he will have to sit out a year then have 1 year of eligibility left. If he stayed at Tulane, he could get his degree next year and go wherever he wanted to play immediately as a graduate senior. The only other choice is to step down in class next year and play immediately. Even if he's not the starter next year at Tulane, he still would have a chance to play if injuries happened. Is sitting out better than that?
GreenLantern
Riptide

winwave wrote:In his limited reps at practice Cuillette has shown he can execute the run portion of the read option. The new staff will have to work w/him on the passing aspect to make him much more consistent. The previous staff couldn't draw that out of him but this much better staff hopefully can.
I've never seen Glen throw a single pass, so my opinion is not worth much. However, once or twice a month I play golf with his HS coaches. They have raved over Glen's work ethic and his positive attitude. They have also said that Glen has the purest throwing motion you could want. Glen has worked with Bubby Brister at Mandeville while seeking his guidance and advice. Bubby remarked that he would not change a single thing about Glen's pass delivery.

It sounds as if Glen's challenges are primarily mental...believing he can excel at the next level. I would like to see him be successful. I'm still a little disappointed at Coach Johnson (pissed off, actually) that he never gave Glen a few snaps during the last year. That didn't do much for his confidence or his maturing.
puffy
Surge

anEngineer wrote:What I don't get is the judgement of Tanner Lee leaving now. As a 4th year junior, he will have to sit out a year then have 1 year of eligibility left. If he stayed at Tulane, he could get his degree next year and go wherever he wanted to play immediately as a graduate senior. The only other choice is to step down in class next year and play immediately. Even if he's not the starter next year at Tulane, he still would have a chance to play if injuries happened. Is sitting out better than that?
Unless he's been given some sort of injury exception (like tpstulane said was a possibility), my guess is he would rather learn for two years at a school learning a new offense as opposed to only one, so that he's ready to roll when he's eligible. Or maybe Fritz had no desire to have someone with TL's skill set taking a spot on his 85 schollie limit. Maybe John Fourcade will let us know.

I'm not privy to the conversations he had with Fritz, but if Fritz wanted Lee to try his offense first before making a decision, that wouldn't have been such a bad idea.
Bham Wave
Ripple

If Tanner graduates this spring he could transfer and have two years of eligibility remaining. I would imagine either that is his plan or going FCS. I doubt he will transfer FBS to sit out a year to play a year.
puffy
Surge

I forgot that he might be close to graduating, if not by the end of spring, by the end of summer.

If he's released from his athletic scholarship, then I guess he must foot the tuition bill himself until he graduates.
TU23
High Tide

He's definitely close to graduating. He enrolled in the first summer school session before his freshman year and has been enrolled in every session since. He might have enough credits to have graduated in December for all we know. 2 classes per session in the summer and 6 sessions total would be somewhere in the 32-36 credit range. Plus 2.5 years as a full-time student, I'll bet he's real close to the end. I think Tulane would likely honor the scholarship through the end of the year because I know they're not up against the 85. Would be a goodwill gesture because this helps Tulane as much as it helps T. Lee.
puffy
Surge

Smart moves from a smart kid. I hope he realizes the level of success we all hoped for him after that Tulsa game in 2014.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

TU23 wrote:He's definitely close to graduating. He enrolled in the first summer school session before his freshman year and has been enrolled in every session since. He might have enough credits to have graduated in December for all we know. 2 classes per session in the summer and 6 sessions total would be somewhere in the 32-36 credit range. Plus 2.5 years as a full-time student, I'll bet he's real close to the end. I think Tulane would likely honor the scholarship through the end of the year because I know they're not up against the 85. Would be a goodwill gesture because this helps Tulane as much as it helps T. Lee.
That would be great for him.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

GreenLantern wrote:
winwave wrote:In his limited reps at practice Cuillette has shown he can execute the run portion of the read option. The new staff will have to work w/him on the passing aspect to make him much more consistent. The previous staff couldn't draw that out of him but this much better staff hopefully can.
I've never seen Glen throw a single pass, so my opinion is not worth much. However, once or twice a month I play golf with his HS coaches. They have raved over Glen's work ethic and his positive attitude. They have also said that Glen has the purest throwing motion you could want. Glen has worked with Bubby Brister at Mandeville while seeking his guidance and advice. Bubby remarked that he would not change a single thing about Glen's pass delivery.

It sounds as if Glen's challenges are primarily mental...believing he can excel at the next level. I would like to see him be successful. I'm still a little disappointed at Coach Johnson (pissed off, actually) that he never gave Glen a few snaps during the last year. That didn't do much for his confidence or his maturing.
You have posted that several times before. I'm not saying they are wrong but like I've said before you have to consider the sources. His former coaches love him and w/good reason. By all accounts he's a great kid. It's good he worked w/Brister . There had to be reason for that . Also Brister doesn't work for free and he's inclined to talk up his clients. His throwing motion isn't bad. He just hasn't been consistent throwing the ball in the practices and scrimmages I've seen. I definitely believe this staff can develop him into a quality passer and I think right now you'd have to consider him first in line. I hope he grabs it and runs w/it.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
greenphantom
Swell

winwave wrote:
GreenLantern wrote:

You have posted that several times before. I'm not saying they are wrong but like I've said before you have to consider the sources. His former coaches love him and w/good reason. By all accounts he's a great kid. It's good he worked w/Brister . There had to be reason for that . Also Brister doesn't work for free and he's inclined to talk up his clients. His throwing motion isn't bad. He just hasn't been consistent throwing the ball in the practices and scrimmages I've seen. I definitely believe this staff can develop him into a quality passer and I think right now you'd have to consider him first in line. I hope he grabs it and runs w/it.
I have to agree with winwave. I wasn't too impressed with his throwing the couple times I watched him in practice. Hopefully he's gotten stronger and will be ready to compete.
Wave QB
Swell

winwave wrote:This leaves us woefully thin at QB. I hope we can flip Scott and get an experienced transfer.
We were already thin at QB. LOL. Everyone was banged up behind this offensive line.
Jonathan
Riptide

Nice kid but loved to throw interceptions that cost us games big time and completely immobile out of the pocket. Zero quickness or speed. Good luck to him in the future.Bring on our new dynamic QB Willie! When Tanner signed with Tulane he was projected to be in the NFL after graduation. Will not happen as he is not good enough in my humble opinion based on his track record at Tulane.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

while I have been critical of the young man's abilities, I wish the best for him and his family... This shows that Fritz will be installing the SVO this spring...it looks iike the QB from Oklahoma will be enrolling at Texas A/M.... the Allen kid from Texas A/M will be enrolling at Houston and sit out one year...the other QB from A?M will be at TCU
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
puffy
Surge

When was the last time Tulane lost its starting quarterback to transfer?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

puffy wrote:When was the last time Tulane lost its starting quarterback to transfer?
Bubby Brister after playing his second season he left at the end of 1983 and transferred to NE La. Later went on to have a nice NFL career.
Tulane Class of 1981
JerseyWave
Riptide

puffy wrote:When was the last time Tulane lost its starting quarterback to transfer?

Jonathan Quinn started a couple of games for Buddy Teevens(1994), then transferred to Middle Tennessee State. He played for the Kansas City Chiefs in the NFL.