Rick Jones

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
Jonathan
Riptide

How do you loose a series to Mormon Utah on your home field Utah is one of the worst teams in the nation Rick you and your good all boy staff need to go we stink. Pepper tell me why Rick is a great coach these last three years no ncaa again for many years Jonathan

Jonathan
Riptide

Fw who is the only person I respect on Ye olde green wave said the Utah pitcher that killed us today had a5.6 era god help us Rick Scott and ad resign now
Pepper
Swell

I agree Jonathon. I can't wait for RJ to leave so the University can get back to winning championships and going the CWS. I am amazed he's lasted this long. He's only won like a thousand games and a couple of winning seasons and a few post season appearances. What a weak record! Being that you are a tiger, I think we ought to get Paul Manari, he's done so much more with soo little. What fo you think?

By the way do you only come out when Tulane loses?
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
rollinggreen
High Tide

Hey pepper, he comments only after Tulane loses because they lose so often. See Football the last 8 years, Basketball since Perry Clark left and yes even Rick the excuse maker, fan basher and oh woe is me Jones. See what Vanderbilt, Rice, Stanford and other private schools are doing. Jonathan may or may not be a Tiger but he is right on target! It is true about Jones accomplishments but that is yesterday's news. It has been a slippery slope for the 3rd year in a row of decline. How about that accomplishment of dead last in CUSA and no Tournament last year. Now 2 out of 3 blowout losses to the mighty Utah Utes at home. He has no connect with this team.
Jonathan
Riptide

Pepper your major threat if I disagree with you is I am a lsu agricultural and mechanical fan I have been attending tulane games sitting on the willow street side saving my john Chase programs since the mid fifties I have two degrees from tu and attended classes for 7 years Steve can verify on tu alumni site I have posted as Jonathan with you randy MAC and a few older posters before roller and Fw existed I was kicked off as jonathan because I posted on another board in a different name real reason they could not take the heat cowen our ad and Jones must go I give our football coach one more year my blood is green but hate the downward spiral of tu athleticst
Pepper
Swell

RG, we have won 20 plus games and Jonathon only has posted 3 to 4 times(most of it being negative even when we win). But we lose 15, and he posts 30 times. You're right about Perry Clark, I'm sure you were in that number that thought he should be gone and boy has the program gotten better! Same goes for Jones. I am leary about any coaching hire by this AD and Tulane is one of the worst places for any coach to be employed. Would I like to see him retire? Yes. This was a make or break year and i would have given him a pass for the pitching due to the injuries but the hitting is atrocious. I think the program needs new approach. What that is, I have no idea.

Jonathon, the guy didn't wake up one day and forgot how to coach or recruit. Do I think he is burned out? Yes but I do believe his accomplishments and what he has done for Tulane and athletics warrants him the right to finish the season. If you want to be mad at someone, throw your anger at Skip Bertman. He hired Smoke Lavell instead of RJ.
sader24
Tsunami

I think its time for a new direction for the baseball program. Unfortunately Rick Dickson will have to make the hire which as history has proven usually leads to disaster. Athletic Departments are built around 3 sports in the South, Football, Men's Basketball, and Baseball. We are in the bottom 10% of the country in football and basketball and now our baseball team probably won't make the CONFERENCE tourney for the 2nd straight year. What I'm wondering is if Scott Cowen gave a sh*t about any of this how could Rick Dickson keep his job? If Cowen isn't deliberately trying to kill sports how could he not fire Dickson for performance or lack thereof? There is no better proof to the naysayers than this fact. Dickson has hired Finney (Disaster) Dickerson (Disaster) Toledo (Disaster). If the idiots on the other forum were to look at the situation from an honest perspective there is only 1 possibility: No Boss in America would allow someone to remain employed with Rick Dickson results unless Rick Dickson was fulfilling said Boss's Mission. I've reiterated this many times, but even if these guys are serious about fixing football how are they even remotely qualified to fix it? If a contractor built 3 houses and all the houses collapsed would you hire him to build an even bigger house? If an Athletic Director keeps making bad hires how do continue to allow him to make new hires? When you look at these facts it really does make you wonder why we care. It's so blatantly obvious they don't. To consider Tulane's Athletic Department anything other than a complete disaster would be disingenuous. Some people have the audacity to think we should make Rick Jones AD. Why would you replace 1 burnt out AD with another who is accustomed to the way a failed Department does business? At this point the whole department is in need of a complete overhaul from top to bottom and a new University President to have a chance. We aren't going to get any of this. Could you imagine LSU going 4-8 for the 5th straight year in football, 3-13 in conference in basketball, not making the conference tourney in baseball for the 2nd straight year and anyone keeping their job? How can they fire Rick Jones when they won't fire Bob Toledo? Maybe Rick Jones resigns, but I cannot imagine them firing him. If Dickson can keep his job with his results for 10+ years than to be fair Rick Jones can't be fired. If you want Rick Jones canned but want to give Toledo more time then you're an idiot (Jonathan). Does anyone here see any hope in this department at all? Pretty disheartening.
Jonathan
Riptide

Sadler I agree with you on new direction on all tu athletic programs other than ladies golf scott cowen our ad and all coaches need to go unfortunately cowen and Rick our ad are milking their salary
Jonathan
Riptide

Sadler be respectful do not call tu supporters like me an idiot that is beneath you on steve s board be respectful to tu supporters who have different opinions than you we are all part of the tu community have a good dayvi
Fred Dowler
Riptide

Some good points.

However, look at what Tulane pays Rick Jones. Look at what resources are thrown into the baseball program. Look at the fan support that the baseball program has received over the years, and then, finally, look at the history of winning (up until a few years ago).

There is some logic in being patient with the football program while being discerning or demanding about the baseball program if things are not happening.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
Dupergreenie
Surge

Unless Tulane starts putting in the programs that some of those other private schools are doing it wont matter who our coach is. If Tulane is really wanting to win (in all sports) take a look at what Rice and Stanford does and then you will see Tulane back to glory days in baseball.
TURVS71
Swell

While I am VERY disappointed with the season, as it seems to be a continuation of the past 2, there are some contributing factors.

Recruiting has suffered, there is no question about that. Losing good players to the MLB draft, etc.
You must be fair and consider that with only 11.7 scholarships to fund a team, it is very difficult to get kids into Tulane. I am not speaking of the academic requirements, I am speaking strictly of the financial requirements. Even if you lower the entrance standards to those of the NCAA, you still have the affordability factor. Full ride per year at Tulane is $57K. Jones can only offer partial scholarships to those families that have the ability to pay the difference. That is a fact. To compound that, you have scholarships going to pitchers, say 9 or so. These guys only see the field maybe once every five days. etc. So, what do you do? State schools can use TOPS or the equivalent to get players they need. This is just a plain cold hard fact. One not made up by Tulane but the NCAA.

Now, this is NOT an excuse for this season and I know someone will be quick to point out that Vandy is a private school and they are no. 3. Unfortunately, the frequency of private schools winning national championships or being CONSISTENT WINNERS is sometimes rare.

All of that being said, and as I pointed out, perhaps Coach Jones reached his pinnacle in 2005 and it may be time for him to consider stepping down. Don't think he will do it now but I can see him doing it in 2years or so.

The above argument is STRICTLY for baseball. Baseball, in my opinion, is treated unfairly by the NCAA.

Now football and basketball's inability to perform falls SQUARELY on Tulane and NOBODY else!
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

If I am not mistaken TOPS funds can be used at Tulane to help defray the Tuition...but as they say.."it is a round ball, and a round bat...but ya gotta hit it square "
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
TURVS71
Swell

Golfnut, you are correct. $2500 per school year. While it helps it is a fly on an elephants butt. Now compared to state schools with yearly cost of $8500, $$2500 is HUGE.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

TURVS....thanks for the ammount given by TOPS...since I live in Texas, I was not aware of the amount available
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

According to LOSFA, the TOPS Award Amounts are generally higher than $2500 for 4-year institutions when you include both semesters. The 11.7 limit stays the same, while tuition gets higher and higher.

http://www.osfa.la.gov/MainSitePDFs/TOP ... mounts.pdf

Regardless, we still can't hit worth a crap.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
Jonathan
Riptide

Private schools cannot compete against public schools says Rick Jones. this weeks poll baseball america. Vandy. 4. Tcu. 11 Miami 16. Stetson 17 Stanford 21. Rice 25ppoiiqwpps
JTLiuzza
Swell

Jonathan wrote:ppoiiqwpps
Somebody want to help me out? I'm acronym impaired.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
TURVS71
Swell

TOPS was increased and is now approximately $3,030.00 for LAICU schools, of which Tulane is. Also, there is a stipend for maintaining a certain GPA. This helps but still is a drop in the bucket when compared to TU's Tuition.
sader24
Tsunami

My belief that the baseball program needs a new direction comes from my opinion that Jones is burnt out. I'm not denying things have gotten tougher for the program to be successful, I truly believe that of all programs the university has been most generous with the baseball program. I just think that if its tougher to be successful these days you need someone who maybe isn't used to the old way and who has the immense amount of energy its going to take be successful. With the facility and the pay grade we should be able to find someone that meets that. I think Jones has done a tremendous job here, but with all lines of work sometimes the rules change, sometimes a guy gets burnt out, and sometimes you just need a new direction for everyone's sake. Also, I might be willing to give Toledo more time if we werent losing players to transfer every month and by players I mean starters/contributors on offense where we need them most. Sorry for the idiot comment Jonathan I just think berating Jones every day and giving Toledo a pass is insane based upon their past performances and contributions to the university. Seems like a personal agenda to me and most others.
Pepper
Swell

Just something to chew on:

Rice's tuirion is 6K less and there is no state income tax. They also have 2 scholly programs for minorities. This helps big time when recruiting latino players.

Tulane has a Harrah's Minority program that pays a little over 2K but you must have 3.4gpa and have 30 hours on the books at Tulane before applying.

Not making excuses but those are just two examples. I have seen the enemy and it's on campus!
Green Wave
Swell

1ndabag wrote:
Sorry. I got nothin. :?
ROLL WAVE!
IM42lane
Swell

As of 04/27/2011, Tulane is not the only one on the outside looking in.

http://espn.go.com/ncaa/blog/_/name/nca ... bounce-lsu

Green Wave wrote:
1ndabag wrote:
Sorry. I got nothin. :?
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
IM42lane
Swell

and then hire Paul Maineri as an assistant when the $tate Univ. of La. fires PM for not qualifying for a regional!

BWAAAA-AA HA HA ! ! !
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
JDTulane
Riptide

After the insulting comments I would rather see Manureie go to Podunk University than be our assistant.