Rick Jones

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Just got this email......
Position Title: Duke Head Baseball Coach
Department: Athletics
Category: Full Time, Exempt

Responsibilities:
Provide leadership and instruction in the personal and athletic development of student-athletes at Duke University.
Direct and coordinate the activities of the Baseball staff to include the planning, organizing and coaching of the Duke University Baseball team; ensure compliance with University, Atlantic Coast Conference and NCAA policies and regulations.
Direct the Baseball staff in the preparation of analyses of opponent teams; analyze statistics and tactical data of opponents and prepare accordingly.
Counsel team members in academic, disciplinary and personal matters; consult with University administration and faculty for resolution of issues as required. Assign geographical areas to and supervise the Baseball staff in the recruitment of student-athletes.
Determine fiscal requirements and prepare budgetary recommendations; monitor, verify and reconcile expenditures of budgeted funds.
Direct various personnel functions including, but not limited to, hiring, performance appraisals, promotions, and vacation schedules.
Study, evaluate and implement innovations in baseball strategy and equipment.
Represent the Duke University Department of Athletics in professional, civic, charity and alumni events.

Perform other related duties incidental to the work described therein.
A successful candidate will demonstrate a strong work ethic and high levels of integrity and honesty. Candidates must have the ability to work a flexible schedule, including nights and weekends, must be attentive to detail and accurate in record keeping, and possess an ability to work with a diverse constituency including students, parents, coaches, faculty, staff administrators and outside contacts.

Requirements:
Bachelor’s Degree. Collegiate baseball coaching experience.

To Apply: Please send all application materials to [email protected] with the title of the position you are applying for as the subject line (Head Baseball Coach). For best consideration applications should include: (1) cover letter, (2) resume, and (3) names and addresses of at least three references. For more information on Duke University Athletics please go to: goduke.com.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

winwave wrote:
All of the other successful privates have overcome this. Our administration can choose to overcome it too. Plus any player trying to get academic aid is best off if he fails to mention he is a baseball player. If the administration won't help then there is another way. You don't need 35 players. You take the 11.7 and give 22 players 1/2 of a scholly and another .7. On top of that most locals will get TOPS and w/state college tuition going up so much recently that's another 10 %. Then if they get another 10-15% academic aid they are at 70-75 %. We will always have 2 or more players on leg. scholly's so that's 25 players and we are good to go.
This is all depressing.

The administration could solve this issue but either hasn't figured it out or will not solve this issue and is blatantly lying about fixing it. Different factions (admissions vs athletics) working at odds.

It's all a failure of leadership.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote: All of the other successful privates have overcome this. Our administration can choose to overcome it too. Plus any player trying to get academic aid is best off if he fails to mention he is a baseball player. If the administration won't help then there is another way. You don't need 35 players. You take the 11.7 and give 22 players 1/2 of a scholly and another .7. On top of that most locals will get TOPS and w/state college tuition going up so much recently that's another 10 %. Then if they get another 10-15% academic aid they are at 70-75 %. We will always have 2 or more players on leg. scholly's so that's 25 players and we are good to go.
I see your point and RJ already does this (he carried only 29 on this year's roster) but you put yourself at a disadvantage vs a 35 man roster when it come to injuries and player development. You need at least 10-12 pitchers, 2 catchers and that would leave you with only 8 position players. How would you even play an intra-squad game? I think RJ does what you say as far as scholly's go as well, with most money going to his pitchers. But that still puts Tulane at $30K vs $0 TOPS at LSU. SC needs to assist us instead of the TP.

tps ten pitchers is plenty and some,Oakley and Garner, play positions also. Catchers play more than one usually,see Crohan and Schaffer. Then there are 13 more position players. So there's enough to scrimmage. he's just always looking for excuses rather than solutions.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote: All of the other successful privates have overcome this. Our administration can choose to overcome it too. Plus any player trying to get academic aid is best off if he fails to mention he is a baseball player. If the administration won't help then there is another way. You don't need 35 players. You take the 11.7 and give 22 players 1/2 of a scholly and another .7. On top of that most locals will get TOPS and w/state college tuition going up so much recently that's another 10 %. Then if they get another 10-15% academic aid they are at 70-75 %. We will always have 2 or more players on leg. scholly's so that's 25 players and we are good to go.
I see your point and RJ already does this (he carried only 29 on this year's roster) but you put yourself at a disadvantage vs a 35 man roster when it come to injuries and player development. You need at least 10-12 pitchers, 2 catchers and that would leave you with only 8 position players. How would you even play an intra-squad game? I think RJ does what you say as far as scholly's go as well, with most money going to his pitchers. But that still puts Tulane at $30K vs $0 TOPS at LSU. SC needs to assist us instead of the TP.

tps ten pitchers is plenty and some,Oakley and Garner, play positions also. Catchers play more than one usually,see Crohan and Schaffer. Then there are 13 more position players. So there's enough to scrimmage. he's just always looking for excuses rather than solutions.
We had 13 pitchers see action. LSU has 17 pitchers on their roster (15 saw action). You need more than 10 especially with arm injuries today and playing 4-5 games in 7 days. Jones has been signing 2 for 1 type players for awhile now. I know they play different positions and that's out of necessity, but when playing an intra squad you need both Croh and Schaf to catch, otherwise you need two additional catchers. No excuses, the solution is with the Tulane admin., only SC can make this happen. Jones IMO is doing everything in his power to overcome this obstacle. The next coach will face the same problem.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

We had 13 pitchers see action. LSU has 17 pitchers on their roster (15 saw action). You need more than 10 especially with arm injuries today and playing 4-5 games in 7 days. Jones has been signing 2 for 1 type players for awhile now. I know they play different positions and that's out of necessity, but when playing an intra squad you need both Croh and Schaf to catch, otherwise you need two additional catchers. No excuses, the solution is with the Tulane admin., only SC can make this happen. Jones IMO is doing everything in his power to overcome this obstacle. The next coach will face the same problem.
tps I respect you but you started out yourself saying 10 is enough and it is. You cite that 13 pitchers were used but 3 of them combined to pitch a whopping 7.2 innings. One of them pitched .1 of an inning. As for the catchers you'll have more than 2 that played the spot in HS who can fill in plus one can play in the field while his team bats when he's not up and can be replaced in the field when he's needed to hit. They are scrimmages and the rules aren't followed. Teams do it all over at every level. Plus you'll always have walk-ons. So like I said it's excuses.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

tps I respect you but you started out yourself saying 10 is enough and it is. You cite that 13 pitchers were used but 3 of them combined to pitch a whopping 7.2 innings. One of them pitched .1 of an inning. As for the catchers you'll have more than 2 that played the spot in HS who can fill in plus one can play in the field while his team bats when he's not up and can be replaced in the field when he's needed to hit. They are scrimmages and the rules aren't followed. Teams do it all over at every level. Plus you'll always have walk-ons. So like I said it's excuses.
You've made my point. Why should we have to make do with less, while state schools can have a full roster. Less players means that you also have less depth and less margin for error on those players. Now give me one 1st round draftable pitcher and we'd be back in the CWS. Give me two top 3 round draftable pitchers and we'd have a shot at winning the whole thing. We just aren't landing those kids. LSU's Gausman was the 4th player picked in Round 1.
Tulane Class of 1981
sader24
Tsunami

When I was coming out of High School in 2000 LSU had 65 players in their baseball program. I started at DH in High School, the guy who started at 1B in front of me got a Full Ride to LSU. He washed out fairly quickly and it didnt matter b/c of TOPS they were bringing in multiple guys at every position, not only that they had 20-25 Pitchers in the program. With TOPS their scholarships virtually meant nothing, they mostly used them on out of state or in state guys that wouldnt qualify for TOPS. We can sit here and pretend that that's an excuse, but to pretend they dont have a tremendous advantage over us b/c of the wide net they can cast would be straight out lying.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

You've made my point. Why should we have to make do with less, while state schools can have a full roster. Less players means that you also have less depth and less margin for error on those players. Now give me one 1st round draftable pitcher and we'd be back in the CWS. Give me two top 3 round draftable pitchers and we'd have a shot at winning the whole thing. We just aren't landing those kids. LSU's Gausman was the 4th player picked in Round 1.
Your point is that like Rick you have raised the white flag. My point is that we are smart enough and resourceful enough to overcome. The reason we don't have that talent is b/c we don't have the top flight assistants we used to have. Instead we waste money on total misses.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

sader24 wrote:When I was coming out of High School in 2000 LSU had 65 players in their baseball program. I started at DH in High School, the guy who started at 1B in front of me got a Full Ride to LSU. He washed out fairly quickly and it didnt matter b/c of TOPS they were bringing in multiple guys at every position, not only that they had 20-25 Pitchers in the program. With TOPS their scholarships virtually meant nothing, they mostly used them on out of state or in state guys that wouldnt qualify for TOPS. We can sit here and pretend that that's an excuse, but to pretend they dont have a tremendous advantage over us b/c of the wide net they can cast would be straight out lying.
Never said they don't have an advantage. Just pointing out that there are ways to fight back. If you believe otherwise then they just need to shut the program down.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Your point is that like Rick you have raised the white flag. My point is that we are smart enough and resourceful enough to overcome. The reason we don't have that talent is b/c we don't have the top flight assistants we used to have. Instead we waste money on total misses.
Just reality check. It's just harder as a "overpriced" private today to compete then it was 4-5 years ago. We just can't afford to miss on anyone at $60K a year and 29 roster spots. I think our current assistants can find top players but getting them signed is just more difficult. We have to "settle" more and more because of financial barriers. Sewald signed with LSU because of the difference in money. Now this past team had enough talent to make a regional. Shame on us.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BS. The rest of the successful privates are still successful. We are not.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:BS. The rest of the successful privates are still successful. We are not.
One difference, they get the needed help from their admin's.
Tulane Class of 1981
tnelly15
Riptide

winwave wrote:BS. The rest of the successful privates are still successful. We are not.
Really? Tps is sitting here laying out the facts as to why we havent had success and all you can say is "BS" and that the other guys are doing well? I honestly dont see how anyone can read the numbers he just laid out for us and not realize he's got a pretty good point and is making a lot of sense.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Remember UNO pitcher/infielder Kevin Berry a year or so ago. When UNO announced they were dropping down we went after him. In fact he committed. However a day or two later he decommitted and signed with LSU. The main factor was money. He went to LSU free. He'd had to pay to go to Tulane. He pitched some two years ago but he got lost in LSU's depth this year. He would have helped us a great deal the year LeBlanc and McKenz hurt their arms. That was like losing two players for us because he also played a position. Look I can't defend our schedule this year or the failure to make a regional all I can do is open people's eyes up on things that have changed that can be corrected with a little help from our people on St Charles Ave. I know today I couldn't afford the opportunity to pay fours years of tuition to get a Tulane degree. I can relate to this because of family members. I have a daughter at Vanderbilt law school because it was less expensive for her to go there than Tulane. And it is higher rated.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
And we do too. As I have said Tulane put such aid in place after the loss of the leg. scholarships. We then had our most success. The point is that fans are drinking the kool-aid and buying the excuses. Our problems started as soon as we went to the all Tulane coaching staff which preceded the rule changes. The staff is not getting it done and their cages need to be rattled. Coddling them means we can expect the SOS year after year.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:Remember UNO pitcher/infielder Kevin Berry a year or so ago. When UNO announced they were dropping down we went after him. In fact he committed. However a day or two later he decommitted and signed with LSU. The main factor was money. He went to LSU free. He'd had to pay to go to Tulane. He pitched some two years ago but he got lost in LSU's depth this year. He would have helped us a great deal the year LeBlanc and McKenz hurt their arms. That was like losing two players for us because he also played a position. Look I can't defend our schedule this year or the failure to make a regional all I can do is open people's eyes up on things that have changed that can be corrected with a little help from our people on St Charles Ave. I know today I couldn't afford the opportunity to pay fours years of tuition to get a Tulane degree. I can relate to this because of family members. I have a daughter at Vanderbilt law school because it was less expensive for her to go there than Tulane. And it is higher rated.
Berry is not a good pitcher and I don't believe he ever played as a position player there. Everyone is well aware of the rule changes. We have heard the incessant whining about it since it was implemented. Again our downfall began w/the all Tulane staffing. That's where the problem lies.
Dupergreenie
Surge

winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
And we do too. As I have said Tulane put such aid in place after the loss of the leg. scholarships. We then had our most success. The point is that fans are drinking the kool-aid and buying the excuses. Our problems started as soon as we went to the all Tulane coaching staff which preceded the rule changes. The staff is not getting it done and their cages need to be rattled. Coddling them means we can expect the SOS year after year.

rules have changed yet again.... privates have changed with the changes except tulane. do you not understand this or are you just trying to fight with people? if you don't like the staff fine. however tulane does not do what the other privates do to help its baseball program.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Dupergreenie wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

rules have changed yet again.... privates have changed with the changes except tulane. do you not understand this or are you just trying to fight with people? if you don't like the staff fine. however tulane does not do what the other privates do to help its baseball program.
Tulane does give academic aid and has for a long time. It's an excuse which at this point is all this staff is good at.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Tulane does give academic aid and has for a long time. .
I agree. It was an ACT 28, it now is an ACT 31 due to the surge in applicants.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

There are varying forms of aid that are given. A 31 is not the end all of aid opportunities.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:There are varying forms of aid that are given. A 31 is not the end all of aid opportunities.
I agree. But its makes it more difficult and less money when you raise the requirements. Like someone said before you're better off not stating you play baseball because our admin will likely tell you to get baseball aid. One thing that I know for sure handicaps our coaches is that they are not able to tell a student how much aid they qualify for. That process takes too long. Our coaches can say, "here's 25% baseball scholarship" but they can't tell you what your academic or financial aid will be if any. They tell the parent they now need to contact the Tulane financial aid office and apply to see what their kid qualifies for. They (our coaches and the kid's parents) are now at the mercy of St. Charles Ave for that. And we're talking $62K which isn't peanuts. Baseball parents usually have many options and want to know their bottom line costs (loan, aid, baseball and everything else) before making a decision. Our coaches have asked for our admin to assist in putting together a bottom line financial package for potential baseball recruits. But they have been told that they have to wait just like any other student to find out, but now we lead the nation in applicants so that means a backlog for all. So now you know why he "negotiates" scholarships when others "give" them. These are things that are not known by many outside the program.

Gotta run for awhile. Later.
Tulane Class of 1981
msdos
Swell

to get back on topic, any more news on jones or at this point still all rumor?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:There are varying forms of aid that are given. A 31 is not the end all of aid opportunities.
I agree. But its makes it more difficult and less money when you raise the requirements. Like someone said before you're better off not stating you play baseball because our admin will likely tell you to get baseball aid. One thing that I know for sure handicaps our coaches is that they are not able to tell a student how much aid they qualify for. That process takes too long. Our coaches can say, "here's 25% baseball scholarship" but they can't tell you what your academic or financial aid will be if any. They tell the parent they now need to contact the Tulane financial aid office and apply to see what their kid qualifies for. They (our coaches and the kid's parents) are now at the mercy of St. Charles Ave for that. And we're talking $62K which isn't peanuts. Baseball parents usually have many options and want to know their bottom line costs (loan, aid, baseball and everything else) before making a decision. Our coaches have asked for our admin to assist in putting together a bottom line financial package for potential baseball recruits. But they have been told that they have to wait just like any other student to find out, but now we lead the nation in applicants so that means a backlog for all. So now you know why he "negotiates" scholarships when others "give" them. These are things that are not known by many outside the program.

It has always been the case that parents need to go through the process. Previous assistants were able to get parents to do that. We have always had to negotiate. BTW, you earlier said tuition is $45k now you say $62k.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

msdos wrote:to get back on topic, any more news on jones or at this point still all rumor?
I haven't heard anything as of late.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:

It has always been the case that parents need to go through the process. Previous assistants were able to get parents to do that. We have always had to negotiate. BTW, you earlier said tuition is $45k now you say $62k.
Yes but with more apps you have a bigger delay. Yes you're correct but now we negotiate with our admin also to expedite the apps. $62K is total cost (R&B)..... Our coaches would like to improve the process like TCU, Stanford and Rice do. They expedite the aid process for their baseball kids and are able to quickly give them a "total cost'. Those apps get priority at those schools. At Tulane you wait your turn with the rest of the student apps. Registration used to be the same way. But Tulane admin has finally made improvements in that area so that athletes can register first. To compete with the other privates we need to "do as they do".

I haven't heard any new word on the Duke situation.
Last edited by tpstulane on Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tulane Class of 1981