Mack Brown story about Tulane at Darryl Royal's memorial

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
Tulane72
Ripple

Mack Brown related the story about when he was at Tulane Darryl Royal and several others were there as advisers to evaluate the Tulane's program. Everyone but Darryl Royal said he would be fine at Tulane but Royal told him "Boy, get the hell out of here as fast as you can." Now I was never a Mack Brown fan. Every time he can on televison and told the news media how the opposing team was going to kick their ass I wanted to throw something at the television. And he continues to beat on the almost dead Tulane. He truely was an asshole. But let me tell you why I think this. When he was coaching why didn't he have the courage to challenge the adminstration on improving the department. He was an athletic director. If they fired him for fighting for his team then the administration would have to explain why they fired him. This could have have exposed the administration for who they are. But no he didn't care for Tulane while he was there and now he uses them for ridicule. The trouble is that this put down doesn't go towards the president or the athletic director or the board. It goes straight to the former players that actually won while they were there. I hate to put it crudely but many of the coaches, athelic directors and even former players lack the balls to stand up for what they know what is needed. I'm no hero but I'm willing to let people take shots at me to try and help the school I played for and won for. As an inspector for the space program I was threatened many times for standing up for what was right. I was told by managers that I was costing the program lots of money for holding them up. And this certainly was difficult to stand firm but in the end I was right and they couldn't say anything. I had engineers tell me I didn't know what I was talking about when I told them that their drawing or their procedure was faulty yet I got them to change their drawing and their procedure. I was even threatened physically by some drug head worker when I told him his work wasn't right. But it didn't matter I was going to do the right thing even if it meant I would get fired or possibly harmed. If I would have been weak and allowed things to get pass me how to you think I would have felt when I watched the first shuttle blew up. You never regret having the balls to stand up and fight what you believe. It's when you don't.

winwave
Top of the WAVE

Tulane72 wrote:Mack Brown related the story about when he was at Tulane Darryl Royal and several others were there as advisers to evaluate the Tulane's program. Everyone but Darryl Royal said he would be fine at Tulane but Royal told him "Boy, get the hell out of here as fast as you can." Now I was never a Mack Brown fan. Every time he can on televison and told the news media how the opposing team was going to kick their ass I wanted to throw something at the television. And he continues to beat on the almost dead Tulane. He truely was an a**hole. But let me tell you why I think this. When he was coaching why didn't he have the courage to challenge the adminstration on improving the department. He was an athletic director. If they fired him for fighting for his team then the administration would have to explain why they fired him. This could have have exposed the administration for who they are. But no he didn't care for Tulane while he was there and now he uses them for ridicule. The trouble is that this put down doesn't go towards the president or the athletic director or the board. It goes straight to the former players that actually won while they were there. I hate to put it crudely but many of the coaches, athelic directors and even former players lack the balls to stand up for what they know what is needed. I'm no hero but I'm willing to let people take shots at me to try and help the school I played for and won for. As an inspector for the space program I was threatened many times for standing up for what was right. I was told by managers that I was costing the program lots of money for holding them up. And this certainly was difficult to stand firm but in the end I was right and they couldn't say anything. I had engineers tell me I didn't know what I was talking about when I told them that their drawing or their procedure was faulty yet I got them to change their drawing and their procedure. I was even threatened physically by some drug head worker when I told him his work wasn't right. But it didn't matter I was going to do the right thing even if it meant I would get fired or possibly harmed. If I would have been weak and allowed things to get pass me how to you think I would have felt when I watched the first shuttle blew up. You never regret having the balls to stand up and fight what you believe. It's when you don't.
Great post. Our current coaches need to do the same. Instead of Conroy begging people to fill the gym just b/c he should be delivering the fans message to the administration that we want much better scheduling. Just one example. We just have too many among us who are fine w/stepping down.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Tulane72 wrote:Mack Brown related the story about when he was at Tulane Darryl Royal and several others were there as advisers to evaluate the Tulane's program. Everyone but Darryl Royal said he would be fine at Tulane but Royal told him "Boy, get the hell out of here as fast as you can." Now I was never a Mack Brown fan. Every time he can on televison and told the news media how the opposing team was going to kick their ass I wanted to throw something at the television. And he continues to beat on the almost dead Tulane. He truely was an a**hole. But let me tell you why I think this. When he was coaching why didn't he have the courage to challenge the adminstration on improving the department. He was an athletic director. If they fired him for fighting for his team then the administration would have to explain why they fired him. This could have have exposed the administration for who they are. But no he didn't care for Tulane while he was there and now he uses them for ridicule. The trouble is that this put down doesn't go towards the president or the athletic director or the board. It goes straight to the former players that actually won while they were there. I hate to put it crudely but many of the coaches, athelic directors and even former players lack the balls to stand up for what they know what is needed. I'm no hero but I'm willing to let people take shots at me to try and help the school I played for and won for. As an inspector for the space program I was threatened many times for standing up for what was right. I was told by managers that I was costing the program lots of money for holding them up. And this certainly was difficult to stand firm but in the end I was right and they couldn't say anything. I had engineers tell me I didn't know what I was talking about when I told them that their drawing or their procedure was faulty yet I got them to change their drawing and their procedure. I was even threatened physically by some drug head worker when I told him his work wasn't right. But it didn't matter I was going to do the right thing even if it meant I would get fired or possibly harmed. If I would have been weak and allowed things to get pass me how to you think I would have felt when I watched the first shuttle blew up. You never regret having the balls to stand up and fight what you believe. It's when you don't.
Bravo, sir.

The apathy and passive approach of Tulane employees and alumni disgusts me.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Great post. Our current coaches need to do the same. Instead of Conroy begging people to fill the gym just b/c he should be delivering the fans message to the administration that we want much better scheduling. Just one example. We just have too many among us who are fine w/stepping down.
You know, many people didn't like Chris Scelfo I guess because of the RR fiasco. But I was present in 2003 when he told Scott Cowen F_ck You to his face.
I still treasure that memory.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
COChip
Low Tide

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote: Great post. Our current coaches need to do the same. Instead of Conroy begging people to fill the gym just b/c he should be delivering the fans message to the administration that we want much better scheduling. Just one example. We just have too many among us who are fine w/stepping down.
You know, many people didn't like Chris Scelfo I guess because of the RR fiasco. But I was present in 2003 when he told Scott Cowen F_ck You to his face.
He should have punched him in that big fat melon of his. Back to Mack Brown, I thoroughly enjoy every loss he endures at Texas and can't wait for them to run his @ss off on a rail.
Charlie Dunn
Ripple

What caused scelfo to say that to cowen ans what's as cowens reaction?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Charlie Dunn wrote:What caused scelfo to say that to cowen ans what's as cowens reaction?
The 2003 review, Cowen just turned and walked away.
Tulane Class of 1981
sader24
Tsunami

Chris Scelfo just moved up a notch in my book.
Ray
Surge

sader24 wrote:Chris Scelfo just moved up a notch in my book.
I wish that scene was on video-tape!!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Same here. He was one tough MF and wasn't scared of anyone.
Tulane Class of 1981
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:
I have newfound respect for Chris Scelfo.
greenie78
Riptide

That 2003 review sabotaged the solid work Scelfo was starting to do after the 2002 season, especially with wins and recruiting.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

greenie78 wrote:That 2003 review sabotaged the solid work Scelfo was starting to do after the 2002 season, especially with wins and recruiting.
+1000
Tulane Class of 1981
Fred Dowler
Riptide

winwave wrote:
Great post. Our current coaches need to do the same. Instead of Conroy begging people to fill the gym just b/c he should be delivering the fans message to the administration that we want much better scheduling. Just one example. We just have too many among us who are fine w/stepping down.
No disrespect meant to the people who made the donation for the latest renovation of the bball arena but if all that you do is spend $$ for yet another renovation of the 80-year-old (and 3700 seat) building then what message (on top of the scheduling and the conference) does that send?

The program isn't going anywhere.

If you spend the $40 million or whatever to build a decent size new building and even tbough it might be somewhat larger than what would be needed to accomodate the crowds that are typically coming to games now then what message does that send? That maybe you do have plans for the program to be going places?

The whole university community is unfortunately filled top to bottom with people who don't ever question the party line or ask whether something that's part of the party line actually makes sense.

As for Mack Brown, yes, exactly, he was right here when The Model was originally being formulated -- and then he ran away to North Carolina as soon as he could.

And as regards standing up for something I believe it was Kent McWilliams who stood up for bball and insisted that TU was going to be bringing it back at some point rather than burying it permanently (as the original announcement from Eamon Kelly had stated).
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
Bigschtick
Riptide

big plus 1
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
ExileWave
Surge

Bigschtick wrote:
big plus 1
Love him or hate him, Scelfo's book (Fourth and New Orleans about the Katrina season is an interesting read. It is his side of all that went on- but at least he had the guts tell it.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

I just became a renewed Chris Scelfo fan, for good. It's also clear that after the 2003 malarkey, Scelfo wasn't the same--which is understandable. He probably had a pretty strong view of where it was all headed.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
nawlinspete
Riptide

Bump.res ipsa loquitur....
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

there were at least three "advisers" on the trip, two that I remember were.Royal, and the AD from ND...Royal told Mack he needed to go somepalce with "THE" in front of a "State"....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:23 am there were at least three "advisers" on the trip, two that I remember were.Royal, and the AD from ND...Royal told Mack he needed to go somepalce with "THE" in front of a "State"....
I don’t know what the contract between Tulane and the “advisors” said, but I have to believe that Daryl Royal violated it by telling Mack Brown to bail out to a “The” school. And remember, at that time, Mack Brown had been a journeyman coach. Even though he was AD and head coach and Tulane, he could care less about Tulane—we were just one more of his many stepping stones.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:17 am
golfnut69 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:23 am there were at least three "advisers" on the trip, two that I remember were.Royal, and the AD from ND...Royal told Mack he needed to go somepalce with "THE" in front of a "State"....
I don’t know what the contract between Tulane and the “advisors” said, but I have to believe that Daryl Royal violated it by telling Mack Brown to bail out to a “The” school. And remember, at that time, Mack Brown had been a journeyman coach. Even though he was AD and head coach and Tulane, he could care less about Tulane—we were just one more of his many stepping stones.
after Royals comment th ND AD told Royal he could and should not have made that commment.....Royal then told the ND man.."Like hell I can't, he is paying me to be honest, and I just gave him my honest opinion"....the rest is Blue Heaven History..... I am sure TPS can come up with the printed/published version to validate what I have posted
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
billow
High Tide

Cowan lied to Scelfo enough that if the board had known they would have lost most all respect for Cowan. He promised Scelfo much then didn’t deliver. Regards to Dickson, he knew about the the review and at 1st didn’t want to report it to alums because he feared Cowan. If only if most of you knew what was happening.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

This thread definitely gives me a better appreciation for Chris Scelfo, and drops Mack another notch. He took shots at Tulane long after leaving, and as outlined above, did nothing to fight "The Model".

Personally, I think UNC made a bad hire, much along the lines of Tulane hiring Toledo. That being said, Mack's assistants might bail him out.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:49 am This thread definitely gives me a better appreciation for Chris Scelfo, and drops Mack another notch. He took shots at Tulane long after leaving, and as outlined above, did nothing to fight "The Model".

Personally, I think UNC made a bad hire, much along the lines of Tulane hiring Toledo. That being said, Mack's assistants might bail him out.
And many of Mack’s shots at Tulane we’re factually incorrect. He often made fun of our attendance during his regjme, saying we drew something like 8,000 per game. The truth is we had very respectable attendance during 1986 and 1987.
wave97
Swell

Tulane72 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:28 pm Mack Brown related the story about when he was at Tulane Darryl Royal and several others were there as advisers to evaluate the Tulane's program. Everyone but Darryl Royal said he would be fine at Tulane but Royal told him "Boy, get the hell out of here as fast as you can." Now I was never a Mack Brown fan. Every time he can on televison and told the news media how the opposing team was going to kick their ass I wanted to throw something at the television. And he continues to beat on the almost dead Tulane. He truely was an asshole. But let me tell you why I think this. When he was coaching why didn't he have the courage to challenge the adminstration on improving the department. He was an athletic director. If they fired him for fighting for his team then the administration would have to explain why they fired him. This could have have exposed the administration for who they are. But no he didn't care for Tulane while he was there and now he uses them for ridicule. The trouble is that this put down doesn't go towards the president or the athletic director or the board. It goes straight to the former players that actually won while they were there. I hate to put it crudely but many of the coaches, athelic directors and even former players lack the balls to stand up for what they know what is needed. I'm no hero but I'm willing to let people take shots at me to try and help the school I played for and won for. As an inspector for the space program I was threatened many times for standing up for what was right. I was told by managers that I was costing the program lots of money for holding them up. And this certainly was difficult to stand firm but in the end I was right and they couldn't say anything. I had engineers tell me I didn't know what I was talking about when I told them that their drawing or their procedure was faulty yet I got them to change their drawing and their procedure. I was even threatened physically by some drug head worker when I told him his work wasn't right. But it didn't matter I was going to do the right thing even if it meant I would get fired or possibly harmed. If I would have been weak and allowed things to get pass me how to you think I would have felt when I watched the first shuttle blew up. You never regret having the balls to stand up and fight what you believe. It's when you don't.
/quote]
I have known Mack Brown since his first assistant coaching position in the mid 70's.
He was my Brother's position coach for from 1975 to 1977. His time at Tulane was nothing more than a turnstile.