Chris Scelfo

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
Houma de Wave
Swell

The new, slimmer and more at ease Chris Scelfo can be seen on the sidelines coaching the Falcons vs. the Saints.

NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Long shot of him sitting next to Julio Jones on TV. Good for him.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

NOLABigSteve wrote:Long shot of him sitting next to Julio Jones on TV. Good for him.
+1
Looks happy.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
wavedat
Swell

Of course he's happy he's still getting paid to do nothing.
Tulane didn't have a stadium issue it had a program and facilities issues. To the new President- we want a new AD , a football facility and an IPF. We want top 25 programs in football and basketball the only two sports that count.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

wavedat wrote:Of course he's happy he's still getting paid to do nothing.
Every man's dream............. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tulane Class of 1981
ExileWave
Surge

tpstulane wrote:
Every man's dream............. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tony Gonzales doesn't need much coaching. I also thought I saw Terry Robiskie (former LSU star and Oakland Raider RB from Edgard in the River Parishes) on the Falcon sideline. Good for both of them. Scelfo did look relaxed.
tnelly15
Riptide

He's got the best/easiest job in the NFL.

but his W/L record in the dome gets worse every time he steps in it.
RobertM320
Green Wave

This should be interesting. Doesn't Houston come to Yulman this year?
https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/sta ... 8216048640
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
nawlinspete
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote:This should be interesting. Doesn't Houston come to Yulman this year?
Houston will regret; all the better for us as as long as Scelfo there they will be flawed.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
nawlinspete
Riptide

nawlinspete wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:This should be interesting. Doesn't Houston come to Yulman this year?
Houston will regret; all the better for us as as long as Scelfo there they will be flawed.

Hope he takes Cow and Dick with him to Houston; hope we bar all three from ever setting foot on campus again.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Show Me
Tsunami

I wanted Rich Rodriguez but Scelfo gave us a great bowl win in Hawaii. God bless him for that.
It's not his fault Cowen is an asshole. He's actually a great OL coach.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I wish Chris and the whole Scelfo family all the best life has to offer...they were Tulane fans and athletes, they went between the lines and competed.... Chris was put in a no win situation by Cowen and Katrina.. I hope he does well
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
lurker123
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:I wish Chris and the whole Scelfo family all the best life has to offer...they were Tulane fans and athletes, they went between the lines and competed.... Chris was put in a no win situation by Cowen and Katrina.. I hope he does well
+1; Holy Smokes, the guy is gone for the better for all. I simply don't get why some around here want to pile on the departed who played the cards dealt to them by Tulane and still tried their best to win. Is seppuku for failure next on job requirements to work at Tulane?

Most of these folks need/want to work to support their families. Let's wish them well in their next lives.
waveclem
Surge

Let's not forget that Scelfo actually tried to compete with the big boys in recruiting. I remember the 2001 class was the small but from a quality aspect was the best Tulane might have ever seen. Signed Ronald McClendon who was a Mr Everything RB from Ponchatoula who never suited up for the Wave BECUZ of grades or other issues. He finished his career at Ole Miss. We also signed Roydel Williams, Lynaris Elpheage, Kris Coleman, and a late addition of a guy named Mewelde Moore. We had a DE commitment from a guy named Linnis Smith who was a top 100 player out of Texas, he wound up flipping late to Texas A&M. We also went down to the wire for an Olineman out of Florida (I believe ) who wound up going with Florida St. Some of yall might remember this, hard to believe that was 16 years ago. .
Anyways, point of this post before I got swept away in Nostalgia was that Scelfo waged recruiting wars early on in his career and won his fare share.... not gonna mention that he might have bent the rules a little bit (McClendon had a brand new explorer after signing day)....
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

waveclem wrote:Let's not forget that Scelfo actually tried to compete with the big boys in recruiting. I remember the 2001 class was the small but from a quality aspect was the best Tulane might have ever seen. Signed Ronald McClendon who was a Mr Everything RB from Ponchatoula who never suited up for the Wave BECUZ of grades or other issues. He finished his career at Ole Miss. We also signed Roydel Williams, Lynaris Elpheage, Kris Coleman, and a late addition of a guy named Mewelde Moore. We had a DE commitment from a guy named Linnis Smith who was a top 100 player out of Texas, he wound up flipping late to Texas A&M. We also went down to the wire for an Olineman out of Florida (I believe ) who wound up going with Florida St. Some of yall might remember this, hard to believe that was 16 years ago. .
Anyways, point of this post before I got swept away in Nostalgia was that Scelfo waged recruiting wars early on in his career and won his fare share.... not gonna mention that he might have bent the rules a little bit (McClendon had a brand new explorer after signing day)....

I am sure the Explorer was purchased with the tuition savings from Ronalds "college fund"..myself, I would have held out for a Porsche
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Bigschtick
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote:I wish Chris and the whole Scelfo family all the best life has to offer...they were Tulane fans and athletes, they went between the lines and competed.... Chris was put in a no win situation by Cowen and Katrina.. I hope he does well

plus1 No need for any animosity towards any Scelfo!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Bigschtick wrote:

plus1 No need for any animosity towards any Scelfo!
Mr Big...I will be in Del Mar in mid May at Morgan Run Resort !!!...I better start working on the "short game"
swampnik
Surge

His book "4th down and forever" written about the year the TU FB team spent on the road playing in a new stadium each week is all that needs to be said. He and the team lived daily what no other team in history has gone through ( a team that should have gone bowling easily without the mental anquish the team faced being taken out of NOLA), and Chris bled green and showed remarkable loyalty and endurance under circumstances that truly tested his soul. RESPECT!
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

swampnik wrote:His book "4th down and forever" written about the year the TU FB team spent on the road playing in a new stadium each week is all that needs to be said. He and the team lived daily what no other team in history has gone through ( a team that should have gone bowling easily without the mental anquish the team faced being taken out of NOLA), and Chris bled green and showed remarkable loyalty and endurance under circumstances that truly tested his soul. RESPECT!
a huge plus 1 from me .. I have not read the book...maybe it should be next on my list
JerseyWave
Riptide

I thought Scelfo was rounding into a really good Head Coach by time he reached the Hawaii Bowl. Remember, he opened the game with an on side kick and it worked. Then, Cowen pulled carpet out from under him with his "secret" review. That destroyed recruiting. Then Katrina finished him off.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Looked it up. Book is titled, "Fourth and New Orleans". I think I'll have to read it.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

As usual it was RD that screwed things up in 2005. He was the one that decided to make a circus out of that team by forcing them to play in a different stadium every week. Independence Bowl Stadium was offered to us for free for the season. That would have given that team some stability and a chance to reach their potential.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
lurker123
Swell

winwave wrote:As usual it was RD that screwed things up in 2005. He was the one that decided to make a circus out of that team by forcing them to play in a different stadium every week. Independence Bowl Stadium was offered to us for free for the season. That would have given that team some stability and a chance to reach their potential.
Interesting that decision never got much public scrutiny. I didn't notice any big pickup in bodies in the stands from the stadium-a-week ploy and as you note it just disrupted any chance for "normalcy" for the team. Plus it wouldn't have been a bad thing to have Shreveport adopt Tulane for a year. That might have generated some interesting longer range interest in Tulane since LSU stopped playing there decades ago.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

lurker123 wrote:
winwave wrote:As usual it was RD that screwed things up in 2005. He was the one that decided to make a circus out of that team by forcing them to play in a different stadium every week. Independence Bowl Stadium was offered to us for free for the season. That would have given that team some stability and a chance to reach their potential.
Interesting that decision never got much public scrutiny. I didn't notice any big pickup in bodies in the stands from the stadium-a-week ploy and as you note it just disrupted any chance for "normalcy" for the team. Plus it wouldn't have been a bad thing to have Shreveport adopt Tulane for a year. That might have generated some interesting longer range interest in Tulane since LSU stopped playing there decades ago.
I agree with both posts. I also felt that the 2005 team had a very good shot at a bowl game. The whole thing with Katrina, moving to La Tech (in a dorm that was condemned and ready for demolition, no less) while dealing with a lot of outside issues killed that team. The book is a good read. If I remember correctly, there's quite a few individual player Katrina stories in his book.

If you read the book, I guarantee you won't be a Scelfo basher any more.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Happy for Chris. I hope he has success other than when he plays us. He was dealt some bad cards while at Tulane.
Tulane Class of 1981