Trent Mackey Arrested, Tried, & NOT GUILTY!

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
tnelly15
Riptide

ExileWave wrote:Davis is 6 foot, 214 per the article....sorry but that is DB size, not FBS linebacker. No matter how good, he will wear down and probably get hurt at that size.
That's only 1 inch taller and 9 Lbs. lighter than Mackey, so size shouldnt be too much of an issue.

RWR
Swell

Davis is a legit 6 feet. Mackey was 5'9'' at best despite his listed size. This position will now rotate a lot more.
swampnik
Surge

According to the eye-witness lady who was robbed; this sounds more like a prank that went horribly wrong then a legit armed robbery.
Were there ever any confirmed guns found? Why should the police believe Murrray anyway, unless hard tangible evidence was produced.
I am still hoping Trent will be cleared and get to rejoin the team.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
NotJtS
Low Tide

Well WTF kind of prank is that?
DrBox
Riptide

swampnik wrote:According to the eye-witness lady who was robbed; this sounds more like a prank that went horribly wrong then a legit armed robbery.
Were there ever any confirmed guns found? Why should the police believe Murrray anyway, unless hard tangible evidence was produced.
I am still hoping Trent will be cleared and get to rejoin the team.
If that's the case, he should have told the police and the victim, right then after hit happened. And told the perps to knock it off.
And even without guns, it would still be robbery.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

DrBox wrote:If that's the case, he should have told the police and the victim, right then after hit happened. And told the perps to knock it off.
And even without guns, it would still be robbery.
+1

Unless it's (quickly) found that he's being set up, etc., he's done at TU.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
sader24
Tsunami

It sounds like a bunch of idiots doing idiotic things. The girl chasing them down at the end would lead one to believe

A) She knew who they were
B) There was no gun
C) She's completely insane

Also, if Mackey orchestrated this poorly orgranized Armed Robbery I have serious doubts about his ability to orchestrate our defense on the field.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

More evidence against Mackey
http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... ainst.html
Tulane star linebacker Trent Mackey got out of jail this weekend after getting arrested for his part in an alleged armed robbery, but he could be facing 10-99 years in prison if he is convicted. More evidence came to surface this morning against Mackey.

The most damning evidence that came to light was that Mackey was in consistent cell phone communication with one of the suspects – 19-year-old Robert Murray -- before the July 12 home invasion and robbery of a female who lives on Broadway St. in Uptown. Originally Mackey claimed he was a victim in the crime along with the female, who was listed as a friend in previous police reports. Inconsistencies in Mackey’s statement along with “his behavior prior to, during and after the incident, it was believed that he may have been involved with the incident” part of the arrest warrant application read.

Two suspects beat on the door of the victim on the afternoon of July 12 and forced their way into her home. Mackey was at the residence and on the phone outside shortly before the invasion and did not lock the door when he came back in the home, according to the police. One of the two suspects forced the victim on the floor and pointed a silver handgun at her head, threatening her before taking her laptop, cell phone and purse.

Murray and an unidentified second suspect took Mackey’s cell phone and backpack – but Mackey was not forced on the ground and left the residence after the suspects fled. Murray surrendered to police on Friday and implicated Mackey in orchestrating the incident. Mackey was arrested Friday evening and posted a $75,000 bond to get released from New Orleans jail on Saturday.
Roll Wave!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

NOLABigSteve wrote:More evidence against Mackey
http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... ainst.html
Tulane star linebacker Trent Mackey got out of jail this weekend after getting arrested for his part in an alleged armed robbery, but he could be facing 10-99 years in prison if he is convicted. More evidence came to surface this morning against Mackey.

The most damning evidence that came to light was that Mackey was in consistent cell phone communication with one of the suspects – 19-year-old Robert Murray -- before the July 12 home invasion and robbery of a female who lives on Broadway St. in Uptown. Originally Mackey claimed he was a victim in the crime along with the female, who was listed as a friend in previous police reports. Inconsistencies in Mackey’s statement along with “his behavior prior to, during and after the incident, it was believed that he may have been involved with the incident” part of the arrest warrant application read.

Two suspects beat on the door of the victim on the afternoon of July 12 and forced their way into her home. Mackey was at the residence and on the phone outside shortly before the invasion and did not lock the door when he came back in the home, according to the police. One of the two suspects forced the victim on the floor and pointed a silver handgun at her head, threatening her before taking her laptop, cell phone and purse.

Murray and an unidentified second suspect took Mackey’s cell phone and backpack – but Mackey was not forced on the ground and left the residence after the suspects fled. Murray surrendered to police on Friday and implicated Mackey in orchestrating the incident. Mackey was arrested Friday evening and posted a $75,000 bond to get released from New Orleans jail on Saturday.
That's the connection I was hoping wouldn't be found (cell phone contact with the robber)...........
Now the only defense is it was "only a prank" that went bad.
The most damning evidence that came to light was that Mackey was in consistent cell phone communication with one of the suspects – 19-year-old Robert Murray -- before the July 12 home invasion and robbery of a female who lives on Broadway St. in Uptown. Originally, Mackey claimed he was a victim in the crime along with the woman, who was listed as a friend in previous police reports. Inconsistencies in Mackey’s statement along with “his behavior prior to, during and after the incident, it was believed that he may have been involved with the incident” part of the arrest warrant application read.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Prank or not, that doesn't change what happened.
Roll Wave!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

NOLABigSteve wrote:Prank or not, that doesn't change what happened.
Well there's always "we were only filming a movie" defense as well ;) ;) ............
Tulane Class of 1981
JerseyWave
Riptide

Mackey is finished as far as football at Tulane. For his sake I hope he has a good lawyer, he finishes his degree, and makes better decisions in his future.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

JerseyWave wrote:Mackey is finished as far as football at Tulane. For his sake I hope he has a good lawyer, he finishes his degree, and makes better decisions in his future.
Yep, I'm still scratching my head over this one.....
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

I don't even think saying it was a "prank" would hold up at this point because arrests were made based on the theft of property, you can't just say oops it was all a joke. The only defense, and it would be weak based on the public information available, would simply be that Trent had a normal conversation with these guys about how this girl had all sorts of nice property and these guys used that unintentional tip to setup the robbery.

The whole situation is so bizarre. Why risk your family's reputation, your career and your teams success over something so trivial? Why would you ever use your cell to call the thieves prior to setting up the crime? Why would this girl run after the thieves and why would they give back some of her property? If you were part of the planning, why would Trent act so guilty afterwords by running away? How can you be so stupid as to plan this crime and then have the robbers call you by your first name during the crime?

Maybe this is just typical stupidity and cockiness from a person who is so ignorant/arrogant that they would pull off this sort of crime.

I am just so shocked and disappointed as I really thought this year's squad was going to pull off something special and losing Trent really hurts IMO.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

mbawavefan12 wrote:I don't even think saying it was a "prank" would hold up at this point because arrests were made based on the theft of property, you can't just say oops it was all a joke. The only defense, and it would be weak based on the public information available, would simply be that Trent had a normal conversation with these guys about how this girl had all sorts of nice property and these guys used that unintentional tip to setup the robbery.

The whole situation is so bizarre. Why risk your family's reputation, your career and your teams success over something so trivial? Why would you ever use your cell to call the thieves prior to setting up the crime? Why would this girl run after the thieves and why would they give back some of her property? If you were part of the planning, why would Trent act so guilty afterwords by running away? How can you be so stupid as to plan this crime and then have the robbers call you by your first name during the crime?

Maybe this is just typical stupidity and cockiness from a person who is so ignorant/arrogant that they would pull off this sort of crime.

I am just so shocked and disappointed as I really thought this year's squad was going to pull off something special and losing Trent really hurts IMO.
My thoughts exactly.
Roll Wave!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I was recently on jury duty and while speaking to someone who once served, he told me a dumb criminal story trial he sat on. It involved an armed robbery of Popeye's Chicken in Slidell a few years ago. It was an inside job. One of the workers knew that "Miss Rose" the manager at the time closed up at 11pm on Sunday night and locked the day's take a short while after that in the safe. The accused "Joe" punched his time card around 10pm left work but and came back about an hour later wearing a bandanas disguise armed with a gun. He walks up to the female manager and says, "Miss Rose go open the safe", Miss Rose then says, "Joe is that you?", and Joe says, "No, Miss Rose he left for home earlier"...........
lol.............
Needless to say "Joe" was convicted.
Tulane Class of 1981
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Tulane linebacker Trent Mackey says he played no part in armed robbery
http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... key_5.html
Speaking out for the first time since his arrest Friday for armed robbery, star

Tulane linebacker Trent Mackey said through his attorney that he played no part in the July 12 incident and that the evidence that was uncovered in the investigation doesn't indicate his guilt.
In the application for arrest warrant, the NOPD said Mackey's cell phone records show consistent communications with Robert Murray, the 19-year-old suspect who is accused of forcing his way into a residence on Broadway Street in Uptown and committing an armed robbery with another unknown suspect.
Mackey was in the victim's home during the robbery, according to his initial statement to police. Murray, who was also arrested Friday, implicated Mackey as the orchestrator of the incident.
But the woman knew of the cell phone communications Mackey had with Murray and Mackey is not involved in the crime, according to a statement Mackey's attorney, Rick Kohnke, released Monday afternoon to The Times-Picayune.

"Trent Mackey, Jr. had nothing to do with the armed robbery of his co-worker and fellow student. The victim in this matter was fully aware that her friend, Trent Mackey, Jr., was in prior telephone contact with the individuals who ended up committing the armed robbery. He is confident that once the facts and circumstances surrounding this incident come to light, that he will be fully exonerated. Until that time, he is going to follow the advice of his attorneys and not make any further statements. He is hopeful that the Orleans Parish District Attorney will review this matter as quickly as possible and throw it out, so he can get back to the field and complete his education. Everyone's support and prayers are appreciated."
Roll Wave!
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

As one comment on the story said, if the evidence against him turns out to be only circumstantial, those are some crazy circumstances.
Roll Wave!
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

I guess there is still a shot he could play. Very curious, I hope the legal process plays out fairly and QUICKLY!
sader24
Tsunami

I'm not sure how anything involving a gun and home invasion can be considered a prank, especially in this city.
tnelly15
Riptide

sader24 wrote:
Also, if Mackey orchestrated this poorly orgranized Armed Robbery I have serious doubts about his ability to orchestrate our defense on the field.
Seriously, how did he ever think this plan was a good one? Even if he didnt get caught it doesnt seem like too much money was made in this robbery and it was a pretty big risk for such a small reward.
GreenMenace
Low Tide

He won't be back and it will hurt. But, it is not devastating and does not assure us of 0-12.
sader24
Tsunami

I've said 4-6 wins and I havent changed it with him gone. I still think we can win 6 w/o him, but its definitely going to be alot tougher. Need those DB's to make some plays i.e. Pick 6's and good Special Teams. For once we need to get some easy TD's instead of the other team.
GreenMenace
Low Tide

sader24 wrote:I've said 4-6 wins and I havent changed it with him gone. I still think we can win 6 w/o him, but its definitely going to be alot tougher. Need those DB's to make some plays i.e. Pick 6's and good Special Teams. For once we need to get some easy TD's instead of the other team.
Yep. +1
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

sader24 wrote:I've said 4-6 wins and I havent changed it with him gone. I still think we can win 6 w/o him, but its definitely going to be alot tougher. Need those DB's to make some plays i.e. Pick 6's and good Special Teams. For once we need to get some easy TD's instead of the other team.
I agree with 4- 6 wins...that is what I predicted before camp started...the wins will come because of better offense and special teams..not because of one linebacker
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !