Mack Brown

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:In the short term it would be a good move for SMU. Brown could right the ship and bring instant credibility to their program. He is very well connected in Texas for recruiting and hiring a staff. He can substantially increase alumni giving to their athletic program. He could even groom an heir apparent and after three years his program would be in good shape to give way.
The game has passed Mac by. This past NFL draft Texas did not have one player drafted.
They'd do better finding a young up and coming coach.
This. Without the benefit of the UT football machine he might fall flat on his face, Bob Toledo style.

winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:In the short term it would be a good move for SMU. Brown could right the ship and bring instant credibility to their program. He is very well connected in Texas for recruiting and hiring a staff. He can substantially increase alumni giving to their athletic program. He could even groom an heir apparent and after three years his program would be in good shape to give way.
The game has passed Mac by. This past NFL draft Texas did not have one player drafted.
They'd do better finding a young up and coming coach.
This. With all that Texas had to offer he could only manage one NC in all of his time there.And it took getting Vince Young to save his butt on that issue. He's done. I could care less about SMU but it's just bad for the conference how bad they've become.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:It's being reported that Mack has had preliminary talks with SMU and they're talking in the $4 million per year for 8 years range. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Mack gets introduced there before the end of November so he can get started on recruiting and building his staff. I'd bet Greg Davis Sr. gets the OC job.
He'll be SMU's Bob Toledo only 10 times more expensive. Lol
That has the potential to be a disaster.

You notice that losers like the leadership at SMU and Tulane keep making poor decisions and the programs suffer.
I don't get this statement. June Jones took a horrendous program and went to 4 straight bowl games finishing first int he division two years. SMU Bball is crushing it. The big mistake was keeping Jones after he tried to leave, but TU fans would kill for four straight bowl games.
lurker123
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:It's being reported that Mack has had preliminary talks with SMU and they're talking in the $4 million per year for 8 years range. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Mack gets introduced there before the end of November so he can get started on recruiting and building his staff. I'd bet Greg Davis Sr. gets the OC job.
He'll be SMU's Bob Toledo only 10 times more expensive. Lol
That has the potential to be a disaster.

You notice that losers like the leadership at SMU and Tulane keep making poor decisions and the programs suffer.
I don't get this statement. June Jones took a horrendous program and went to 4 straight bowl games finishing first int he division two years. SMU Bball is crushing it. The big mistake was keeping Jones after he tried to leave, but TU fans would kill for four straight bowl games.
Why let facts get in the way of preconceived opinions? :mrgreen: In my life Tulane has never had four straight winning football seasons. Unless there is a dramatic turnaround starting this Friday, I may have to wait for 2018 season to finish maybe to see it finally.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

June Jones was an up and coming coach. Look what he did at Hawaii. Mac Brown is on a downside like Bob Toledo was. Big difference. Larry Brown has won everywhere he's been. Had an NBA pedigree as well.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
nawlinspete
Riptide

President Fitts, do it, now.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
nawlinspete
Riptide

Bump....
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
nawlinspete
Riptide

Mack's contacts will be extremely valuable in our hires, and he'll have insight clearer than any search firm's.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Mack Brown is in TV and Tulane can't pay enough to even put an interim tag on Brown. We don't even know if he has any interest in leaving TV to go back into the fire anyway. Realistically, Tulane could hire him as a consultant/adviser to help find an Athletic Director and Football Coach.
nawlinspete
Riptide

JerseyWave wrote:Mack Brown is in TV and Tulane can't pay enough to even put an interim tag on Brown. We don't even know if he has any interest in leaving TV to go back into the fire anyway. Realistically, Tulane could hire him as a consultant/adviser to help find an Athletic Director and Football Coach.
If Mack turns us down for AD/Coach...change "could" to "MUST."
Pullinmyhairout
Low Tide

Brown went 1-10, 4-7 and 6-6 at Tulane. If we want that we should keep CJ.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Terrible idea. We need someone young, hungry and understands new media. Not someone who comes from the era where you might schedule a game because 1K regional alumni might show up.
wave97
Swell

Pullinmyhairout wrote:Brown went 1-10, 4-7 and 6-6 at Tulane. If we want that we should keep CJ.
You're right, but they actually played real football teams back then. Not CUSA chicken sh*t. Larry Smith's guys were long gone, he had only a handful of players left after he purged most of Wally's recruits.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Pullinmyhairout wrote:Brown went 1-10, 4-7 and 6-6 at Tulane. If we want that we should keep CJ.
Look at the trend you posted 1 win, 4 wins, then 6 wins and a bowl game. I can guarantee that if Brown were still coach in 1988 he would have had one of the best recruiting classes in school history and would have been 8-3. The schedule was very favorable and Greg Davis blew several games that fall. Tulane lost to USL for the first time and a heartbreaker to Louisville. Brown left a lot of talent in the program when he went to North Carolina. Davis was neither a Head Coach or a recruiter.
TURVS71
Swell

Get real! The guy is washed up as coach/AD or whatever. He is probably making big $ for his commentary AND remember that he OPENLY pursued the lsu job when he was here .......No Thanks!!

Stop with the STUDID topics!!
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
DrBox
Riptide

nawlinspete wrote:President Fitts, do it, now.
I like it.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

With all due respect to man I like quite a bit, there is no way you can make Mack Brown the AD at Texas. This isn’t a job for an ex-coach.
https://twitter.com/DanWolken/status/643905601551138816
DrBox
Riptide

People forget/didn't know that Brown was our AD
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DrBox wrote:People forget/didn't know that Brown was our AD
Right, and true to NOLA form, everyone always wants to go back to the past. So every time we're looking for a football coach, they want Tommy Bowden. Every time we're looking for a basketball coach, they want Perry Clark. So why not go back 25 years for an AD? Just a terrible, terrible idea.
DrBox
Riptide

In this case, I think it's a good idea. Actually, I'd prefer Brown as football coach. I just think he'd be aware enough to hire 2 great coordinators and quality coaches across the board.
Now if he'd come in and bring in Greg Davis and some of the old dudes from Texas, forget it.

One thing about Brown as AD. We didn't have a basketball program then nor a conference for our sports.
dpm wave
Swell

COChip
Low Tide

Bobby April anyone?? lol Just waiting for the inevitable since the cast of typical hacks (Brown, Bowden, etc) are rolled out this time of year.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

COChip wrote:Bobby April anyone?? lol Just waiting for the inevitable since the cast of typical hacks (Brown, Bowden, etc) are rolled out this time of year.
Bobby April ?!?!?!?!....c'mon ya gotta think BIG TIME.... Edwin Edwards !!!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Aegis
High Tide

Forget Mack! He bashed TU and its fans so bad when he was in NC. I lived in NC when he was the coach there and moved to TX the same year he was hired by UT. He never seemed to tire on bashing Tulane. He's not the guy you think he is. Besides the game has passed him by. We need a young talented coach with at least coordinator experience and an aggressive AD who demands excellence.