Mack Brown

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I guess these top 10 recrutin' classes just ain't as good as they use to be...Mack is feeling the heat to win big next year or his azz is gone !!! The solution..."the SNYDER theory"...yep ole Mack is beginnng to sign JUCO's several from the Mississipi JC's are coming to Austin for the Spring semester...just remember, Kansas State started 13 JUCO's this year, that were not in school the previous season and almost made it to a BCS game..Mack called Bill Snyder before Mike Leach and got the complete JUCO Directory !!! Ahhh Desperate times,calls for Desperate measures for the Mackster...

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
T1B2TW
High Tide

If Mack is truly on the hotseat for next year, it's a sign that the Texas fans are of the "what have you done for me lately" group. Memories are short.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I see where Fox Sports - CFN has listed the twelve "hottest Coaching seats" for 2012...'da Mackster is firmly in place at numba' one !!!!...only 10 wins will save his job, since in the last two years he is only one game over .500...and GASP, had to resort to the JUCO ranks for his 2012 recruiting class...'da 40 acres will never be 'da same !!!!..Believe me, Mack knows how hot the seat is

Mack cannot continue to be paid 5 mill a year to lose to Baylor or Okie State .. and "well heed" alumni have already let DeLoss Dodds know their feelings...hence the JUCO's being brought in (he should have brought in a JUCO QB ,that would have helped more than the JUCO lineman)
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

mturner46
Ripple

I do not believe that Mack Brown will ever be fired from UT...in fact, I strongly believe that he will move into the AD position within the next 5 years. He is loved and adored by alumni and media...especially in Texas...and transcends the boundaries pertaining to most NCAA football head coaches.
The University of Texas is consistently among the top 3 in recruiting class rankings. Mack Brown more than makes up for his X's and O's limitations with his superior recruiting and alumni building skills. UT boasts first class athletic facilities rivaled only by OSU and FSU.
Mack Brown will never leave UT nor will UT ever fire him.

GOLFNUT69..thanks for the Veteran's Day post...I am returning to civilian life in 6 months after 8 years...3 1/2 of those years deployed to Iraq (2 years) and Afghanistan (1 1/2 years)....thanks! And thanks to your Dad and Brother
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

mturner46....Mack may not be fired, but he can sure as hell be "retired"....10 wins is a must...with road games to Ole Miss..K-State..Texas Tech... Oklahoma State and a visit to Dallas to play Oklahoma....10 wins may be a tuff get...Texas has no QB, (the BMOC is now at SMU) recievers that are just above average and an O line that does not know how to block (hence the JC transfers), ..the D should be damn good, but if they are on the field for any amount of time Mack will be enjoying sunsets at Lake Travis.. I realize that Ole Miss really should not scare Texas, but you are on the road and funny things happen in Lubbock on a Saturday nite where Tommy T hit the JC ranks hard for D players this past recruiting year..K-State man handled Texas in Austin this past year and they have everyone back..and gawd help ya when ya make it to Stillwater, OSU will have a very good team
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

here in Austin, the faithful(?) are calling for da' Mackster's head...one of my favorite comments in reading the Texas-OU article..."ahh College Football at it's best...what a scene, the Red River Rivalry...the stadium evenly divided..Crimson and Cream in the north end...Concrete and Aluminum in the South end !!!!!

and my second favorite

"We've all heard of Mr October...Mack Brown is "Coach February"

and my third

"Anyone have Greg Davis' home phone number"

The Texas' beat writer's view http://www.statesman.com/news/sports/co ... eal/nScbh/
Last edited by golfnut69 on Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
JerseyWave
Riptide

I was wondering if Mack could be a possible candidate to replace Tricky Rick. He might out of time in Texas. He was AD once before. I figure he would do great at fundraising and helping improve Tulane's conference status.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

JerseyWave wrote:I was wondering if Mack could be a possible candidate to replace Tricky Rick. He might out of time in Texas. He was AD once before. I figure he would do great at fundraising and helping improve Tulane's conference status.
Maybe he can get us back on WWL, since terminating that relationship was his good bye gift when he left for UNC. But actually, I can't see how anyone with any kind of a record or reputation could possibly be willing to work for Cowen. Cowen is the turd in the punch bowl.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
OGSB
Swell

HoustonWave wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:I was wondering if Mack could be a possible candidate to replace Tricky Rick. He might out of time in Texas. He was AD once before. I figure he would do great at fundraising and helping improve Tulane's conference status.
Maybe he can get us back on WWL, since terminating that relationship was his good bye gift when he left for UNC. But actually, I can't see how anyone with any kind of a record or reputation could possibly be willing to work for Cowen. Cowen is the turd in the punch bowl.
He didn't do it. I remember catching a Tulane game on WWL in Az. during the Buddy years.
Livin' rent free
Fred Dowler
Riptide

FWIW

Mack Brown became athletics director when Hindman Wall resigned in the wake of the scandals in 1985.

I suspect, not saying that I know, that they did that because it was expedient for Tulane to do at the time and then they also, I suspect, were able to justify paying him more and giving him more authority with dual titles.

In general I don't believe that it's a good idea to have the coach of one sport also serve as athletics director. There needs to be some separation of powers. Also, if you have to hire another coach the athletics director should be the person around who has a list of names of people he or she can call up right away.

The football team did go from being 1-10 to being 6-6 (incl. the bowl game) but mainly the theme of those years was one of starting to try to get the wounds of the scandals healed (and in the midst of the Mack Brown Tulane era was the genesis of The Model).
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
DrBox
Riptide

Rick Dickson took us off of WWL, in another one of his stellar moves.
Now a lot of people supported that, unwilling to suffer the indignity of having games moved to WSMB. I knew that was a bad move - WWL probably has more radio listeners than the rest of the AM stations do combined, times 5.

Football coach as AD generally not a good idea.
TU needs a hungry, young AD. Dickson has never hired a real dynamic assistant (another part of the legacy).

Mack Brown ended the Vandy series, which was also inane.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DrBox wrote:Rick Dickson took us off of WWL, in another one of his stellar moves.
Now a lot of people supported that, unwilling to suffer the indignity of having games moved to WSMB. I knew that was a bad move - WWL probably has more radio listeners than the rest of the AM stations do combined, times 5.

Football coach as AD generally not a good idea.
TU needs a hungry, young AD. Dickson has never hired a real dynamic assistant (another part of the legacy).

Mack Brown ended the Vandy series, which was also inane.
He did so because he didn't want to play against his brother Watson who coached Vandy at the time. I agree bad move for which will still pay for today.
That was our "Rice" game before CUSA.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote:here in Austin, the faithful(?) are calling for da' Mackster's head...one of my favorite comments in reading the Texas-OU article..."ahh College Football at it's best...what a scene, the Red River Rivalry...the stadium evenly divided..Crimson and Cream in the north end...Concrete and Aluminum in the South end !!!!!

and my second favorite

"We've all heard of Mr October...Mack Brown is "Coach February"

and my third

"Anyone have Greg Davis' home phone number"

The Texas' beat writer's view http://www.statesman.com/news/sports/co ... eal/nScbh/
one more tidbit...after the game, the DC was asked if the issues on D can be fixed..he quoted " we have to accentuate the good"..to which a reported responded .."That shouldn't take long " !!!!

Look for the Auburn coach to be back at Texas after he is fired this season to be the DC
Last edited by golfnut69 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
OGSB
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
Look for the Auburn coach to be back at Texas after he is fired this season
Then look for ull's coach to be in the mix for the opening.
Livin' rent free
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

OGSB wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
Look for the Auburn coach to be back at Texas after he is fired this season
Then look for ull's coach to be in the mix for the opening.

I agree...and if things go sour at SMU the rest of the year, look for Sonny Dykes to get a hard look from the folks in Dallas
Charlie Dunn
Ripple

Very interesting quote below that UT alum made regarding Texas. I felt the exact same way about Dickson/Cowen at Tulane. He is referring to OU, but you could almost refer to every team on our schedule, hanging half a hundred on us at one time or another over the past few years. Our only constant of course is Dickson/Cowen. We need to be outraged when this happens and we need to demand better.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CBS Sports Network Brian Jones had this to say on his network about the University of Texas football team. Jones played linebacker in college. Yes, he was a Longhorn.

“In the locker room there at the University of Texas there’s a saying, ‘the pride and tradition of the University of Texas will not be entrusted to the weak nor timid.’

They are weak. They are timid. And they are soft. And we have seen this movie before. It keeps happening at the University of Texas. The only constant is the head coach. If they’re content with doing this, if they’re content with allowing their arch rival to put half-a-hundred on them every-other-year, then stay with the status quo. If they’re not, then there needs to be a change… You need to teach toughness. They don’t do that. This is a soft football team. They got pushed around. They embarrassed the entire alumni base. They embarrassed every football player that has ever played over there. It was sickening to sit there and watch that. And you can come up with every excuse you want to come up with, there’s only one simple solution to this problem: there needs to be a (coaching) change.”
IM42lane
Swell

Charlie Dunn wrote:Very interesting quote below that UT alum made regarding Texas. I felt the exact same way about Dickson/Cowen at Tulane. He is referring to OU, but you could almost refer to every team on our schedule, hanging half a hundred on us at one time or another over the past few years. Our only constant of course is Dickson/Cowen. We need to be outraged when this happens and we need to demand better.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CBS Sports Network Brian Jones had this to say on his network about the University of Texas football team. Jones played linebacker in college. Yes, he was a Longhorn.

“In the locker room there at the University of Texas there’s a saying, ‘the pride and tradition of the University of Texas will not be entrusted to the weak nor timid.’

They are weak. They are timid. And they are soft. And we have seen this movie before. It keeps happening at the University of Texas. The only constant is the head coach. If they’re content with doing this, if they’re content with allowing their arch rival to put half-a-hundred on them every-other-year, then stay with the status quo. If they’re not, then there needs to be a change… You need to teach toughness. They don’t do that. This is a soft football team. They got pushed around. They embarrassed the entire alumni base. They embarrassed every football player that has ever played over there. It was sickening to sit there and watch that. And you can come up with every excuse you want to come up with, there’s only one simple solution to this problem: there needs to be a (coaching) change.
Of course, he is talking about former Tulane HC Mack Brown. It is time for Mack to retire. The game has passed him by.
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Of course. It's called reality and accountability and alumni who care enough to enforce those things. Tulane alumni sit back while that lying jerk Cowen tells them it's raining while he's peeing on them and laughing.

It's why Tulane University's run as major institution is about to end and that makes me very sad.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Charlie Dunn wrote:Very interesting quote below that UT alum made regarding Texas. I felt the exact same way about Dickson/Cowen at Tulane. He is referring to OU, but you could almost refer to every team on our schedule, hanging half a hundred on us at one time or another over the past few years. Our only constant of course is Dickson/Cowen. We need to be outraged when this happens and we need to demand better.

They are weak. They are timid. And they are soft. And we have seen this movie before. It keeps happening at the University of Texas. The only constant is the head coach. If they’re content with doing this, if they’re content with allowing their arch rival to put half-a-hundred on them every-other-year, then stay with the status quo. If they’re not, then there needs to be a change… You need to teach toughness. They don’t do that. This is a soft football team. They got pushed around. They embarrassed the entire alumni base. They embarrassed every football player that has ever played over there. It was sickening to sit there and watch that. And you can come up with every excuse you want to come up with, there’s only one simple solution to this problem: there needs to be a (coaching) change.”
Brian actually left Texas and played for UCLA then transfered back to Texas because of "family issues"...he has never liked Mack
ajcalhoun
Swell

I'm no fan of Mack Brown and I haven't been since he left here for North Carolina. I thought then (and still do) that one more year at Tulane, especially with Terrance Jones at QB, could have been parlayed into a much higher profile job than UNC, where he had to toil for ten years before miraculously getting the Texas gig.
That said, Mack must have pictures of important Texas donors wearing lady's lingerie. That is the only way he gets to keep being one of the highest paid coaches in the country for wasting all of the inherent advantages UT has and getting butt-pounded regularly by his arch-rival.
God Bless Everyone!
Dave breslin
Swell

It won't take Texas so long to make a change when they see things going in the toilet. Our ad and pres think we are doing things correctly. They are boobs!!! I wonder if their ad had a call in show to discuss where the best BBQ in Austin is!!!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Mack strikes again....he is now blaming the "LongHorn Newtork" for giving opponets added time and footage to scout is beloved Longhorns..Mack, you pushed for this network, which caused a huge divide within the Big 12 conference membership and almost caused the Big 12 to disband, to give you and added exposure to boost recruiting...sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for
Houma de Wave
Swell

The brightest spot on this team. Record-breaking 57-yard FG which, I thought, gave us a huge lift going into the half. Perfect still 9 games into the season in FG's; only that one blocked PAT against Rutgers.

The Lou Groza award is in view for this young man!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Houma de Wave wrote:The brightest spot on this team. Record-breaking 57-yard FG which, I thought, gave us a huge lift going into the half. Perfect still 9 games into the season in FG's; only that one blocked PAT against Rutgers.

The Lou Groza award is in view for this young man!
Hall of Fame year he's having!
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981