Mack Brown

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
COChip
Low Tide

golfnut69 wrote:
COChip wrote:Bobby April anyone?? lol Just waiting for the inevitable since the cast of typical hacks (Brown, Bowden, etc) are rolled out this time of year.
Bobby April ?!?!?!?!....c'mon ya gotta think BIG TIME.... Edwin Edwards !!!!!
Hell, at this point I'm down with whoever recommended Al Scramuzza :lol: (still laughing at that epic post)

Pullinmyhairout
Low Tide

wave97 wrote:
Pullinmyhairout wrote:Brown went 1-10, 4-7 and 6-6 at Tulane. If we want that we should keep CJ.
You're right, but they actually played real football teams back then. Not CUSA chicken sh*t. Larry Smith's guys were long gone, he had only a handful of players left after he purged most of Wally's recruits.
Yeah, that 73-13 loss to Florida State in his 3rd year was really a good showing.
lurker123
Swell

paleoboy wrote:He left a broadcast to catch a flight.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mack-brown-m ... 51145.html
The guy worked a late shift on Friday night, then flew cross-country in early morning hours so he could work all day Saturday?? What is ESPN paying him or UT is not??

For those who think talking head gigs are Easy Street, he has now thoroughly disabused all of that notion.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

lurker123 wrote:

The guy worked a late shift on Friday night, then flew cross-country in early morning hours so he could work all day Saturday?? What is ESPN paying him or UT is not??

For those who think talking head gigs are Easy Street, he has now thoroughly disabused all of that notion.
Cry me a freakin river, jeez.
lurker123
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:
lurker123 wrote:

Interesting that when you do a broadcast, every moment you are not flawless millions of people know it. You literally have no seconds off or you look like a fool. Mack Brown is 65 years old. How many people do you know on social security could work a late shift, take a cross country red eye and then work the next day under those conditions? I've done it and I was decades younger and I didn't have to worry about being on TV. Never again. But maybe you and yours hang out with hardier stock and this is no big deal.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

cry me a Lake Ponchatrain or a Bayou St John for Mack !!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

lurker123 wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
lurker123 wrote:

Interesting that when you do a broadcast, every moment you are not flawless millions of people know it. You literally have no seconds off or you look like a fool. Mack Brown is 65 years old. How many people do you know on social security could work a late shift, take a cross country red eye and then work the next day under those conditions? I've done it and I was decades younger and I didn't have to worry about being on TV. Never again. But maybe you and yours hang out with hardier stock and this is no big deal.
Talking about sports in a studio isn't quite like giving a presentation to a board of directors, or trying to close a multi-million dollar sale on no sleep. Yes, people know when you make a mistake, but it's not going to cost your company an opportunity at profitability, or, for small business owners, their ability to give themselves a paycheck. Mack, and most sports broadcasters get paid pretty well to talk about sports. It's not that tough of a job, even if you have to do it with "only" 5 or 6 hours sleep on an airplane.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
lurker123
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
lurker123 wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
lurker123 wrote:

Talking about sports in a studio isn't quite like giving a presentation to a board of directors, or trying to close a multi-million dollar sale on no sleep. Yes, people know when you make a mistake, but it's not going to cost your company an opportunity at profitability, or, for small business owners, their ability to give themselves a paycheck. Mack, and most sports broadcasters get paid pretty well to talk about sports. It's not that tough of a job, even if you have to do it with "only" 5 or 6 hours sleep on an airplane.
All I will say is I'm glad you folks don't do my business recruiting. In my book, Brown earned his pay in spades. Obviously I'm the outlier. So be it.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
MicMan
Swell

Ol' Mack was there during the generation of institutional academic fraud at UNC; he should have no trouble getting back on top..
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:34 am Mack back at UNC

https://northcarolina.rivals.com/news/m ... ball-coach
I think he has Greg Davis on "speed dial"....this would be an ideal OC job for Kingsbury
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

it may be college coaching reunion time
https://www.lubbockonline.com/news/2018 ... ources-say
ajcalhoun
Swell

We now have two basketball bluebloods with over-the-hill MNC-winning football coaches.
God Bless Everyone!
nawlinspete
Riptide

Did Dannen ever talk with Mack about returning to Tulane before hiring Coach Fritz ?
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

nawlinspete wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:40 pm Did Dannen ever talk with Mack about returning to Tulane before hiring Coach Fritz ?
He may have spoken to Mack....Mack was not coming back to NOLA, his wife would not allow it, Mack met Sally while he was at UNC. She has been very successful in the real estate biz here in Austin. and in metro Chapel Hill. Mack and Sally have also maintained a home near Chapel Hill,
http://atxwoman.com/sally-brown/
Last edited by golfnut69 on Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

nawlinspete
Riptide

Great opportunity for us to get a football series with UNC as well as additional MBB series....
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
RobertM320
Green Wave

nawlinspete wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:21 am Great opportunity for us to get a football series with UNC as well as additional MBB series....
These are the kind of situations that good ADs take advantage of. Especially in G5, if you have an in with a P5 that could get you seen, you take advantage of it. Let's see what Dannen does.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

The ego finally got the best of Mack
http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... -heels-job
anEngineer
Riptide

nawlinspete wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:21 am Great opportunity for us to get a football series with UNC as well as additional MBB series....
Given how far ahead the schedules are already made, it's hard to imagine Mack would still be there when a potential series would happen.
nawlinspete
Riptide

anEngineer wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:25 am
Given how far ahead the schedules are already made, it's hard to imagine Mack would still be there when a potential series would happen.

Almost all schools will turn over their coaches in the next four or five years; are you suggesting that no games can be scheduled more than three years in advance ?
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Great read, thanks for the link 'nut!

It's hard not to get excited for Mack Brown, and wonder what he could accomplish had he re-joined the coaching ranks (after his 5 years at ESPN) at Tulane. I'm very happy we have Fritz, make no mistake.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V