Mack Brown

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
Robert1969
Riptide

And yet, he kicked one too many field goals today. If we didn't have to settle for the field goal in the fourth quarter, and gotten the TD there, we'd have won this game 52-49.

But yeh, the kid is a great kicker. The 57 yarder was thing of beauty. And definitely an emotional lift. He's 14 of 14 now. Just wish he was 13 of 13.

Houma de Wave
Swell

Forgot to mention Santos' onside kick execution...another great effort.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Mack got a "vote of confidence' from the University of Texas Prez...we all know what that means !!!...If Mack does not "retire' after the Alamo Bowl as many on "orangebloods.com " .. the chat board of rich alums, than look for major staff changes as Mack tries to hold on for one more year .. I saw Mack a few day's ago, he looks like he has aged 40 years in the last 6 months
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

"oh that shark bait'...Mack strike again, or shall I say his players strike again...two unamed "Longhorns" have been sent back to Austin from the Alamo Bowl....KENS-TV San Antonio, reports that the two young gentleman are being investigated on the charge of Sexual Assault / Rape .. If arrested, this will be close to the 24th or 25th arrest of Longhorn Players under Mack's tenure...and could be the death kneel for Mack as the rumbling's for his dismissal here in metro Austin have been getting louder since the season ended.. If this team does not show up against Oregon State on Saturday, da Mackster could be "retiring"
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Duh Mackster'ds players let him down once again..backup QB arrested for "being drunk in public" and in possesion of a false ID which he gave to the cop when asked for identification...I think this is arrest number 26 during Mack's time in office
RobertM320
Green Wave

Mack Brown may be available soon. :lol:

http://pic.twitter.com/5GFk7bnnAR
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
JerseyWave
Riptide

When Mack Brown is no longer employed by Texas I would hire him in a heart beat as Athletic Director. His career would come full circle and he can clean up Rick Dickson's mess.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

JerseyWave wrote:When Mack Brown is no longer employed by Texas I would hire him in a heart beat as Athletic Director. His career would come full circle and he can clean up Rick Dickson's mess.
Whoever ends up cleaning up Dickson's mess is going to have to have a really big shovel. The pile is 13 years high.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
JDTulane
Riptide

Hiring Mack Brown for AD would be a slam dunk. We could never afford him.
Wave QB
Swell

JDTulane wrote:Hiring Mack Brown for AD would be a slam dunk. We could never afford him.

A reversed slam dunk.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

I have no idea why an old, washed up football coach would make a good athletic director. We will need someone to clean up a huge mess and proactively position Tulane in a world of social media and digital media and Mack Brown knows none of that.
sader24
Tsunami

Tommy Bowden would make a far better AD than Brown. Neither are coming anywhere near this place. Brown is worn out and beaten down.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

jonathanjoseph wrote:I have no idea why an old, washed up football coach would make a good athletic director. We will need someone to clean up a huge mess and proactively position Tulane in a world of social media and digital media and Mack Brown knows none of that.
True. He would not make a good AD for Tulane, or probably any other university. Mack's done. He's done a remarkably poor job at UT. For many years, he could recruit anyone he wanted, the problem was he kept targeting the wrong players, and then undercoached them. Over the last couple of years, he has been mauled in the recruiting wars, and it is now showing up on the field. Had it not been for Vince Young, and the related glory years (National Championship and wins over OU), Mack would have been gone long ago. He was under much criticism, and was hanging on, when VY arrived and saved his bacon. Of course VY paid the price, being undercoached during his UT years, VY was wholly ill-prepared for the NFL.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

OGSB wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:I was wondering if Mack could be a possible candidate to replace Tricky Rick. He might out of time in Texas. He was AD once before. I figure he would do great at fundraising and helping improve Tulane's conference status.
Maybe he can get us back on WWL, since terminating that relationship was his good bye gift when he left for UNC. But actually, I can't see how anyone with any kind of a record or reputation could possibly be willing to work for Cowen. Cowen is the turd in the punch bowl.
He didn't do it. I remember catching a Tulane game on WWL in Az. during the Buddy years.
That's true. Mack didn't terminate the WWL relationship, instead, in a magnanimous jesture, he agreed to LSU having priority on WWL. Previously, LSU had such priority for many years but had a run with WWL, which resulted in Tulane getting the priority position during Mack's years at Tulane. After Mack helped put Tulane back into the subordinated position, we were still on WWL whenever we didn't conflict with an LSU game. The final departure from WWL came years later. Mack was probably trying to position himself for a return to LSU, after his UNC stint.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

The word from 6th street in Austin....If Texas does not beat Baylor this week end (12/7/13) Mack will be urged to "retire" and be re-assigned within the Texas Athletic Dept in a "fund raising capacity"...Even if he beats Baylor there are those within the inner circle who wants him gone...
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote:The word from 6th street in Austin....If Texas does not beat Baylor this week end (12/7/13) Mack will be urged to "retire" and be re-assigned within the Texas Athletic Dept in a "fund raising capacity"...Even if he beats Baylor there are those within the inner circle who wants him gone...
I think, from the UT alumnae that I know (and their very into it families) Mack probably saves his job with a win and a share of the Big 12 title. Not likely to happen, but every time I counted the Longhorns out this year, they've bounced back and surprised me! But they do want him (Mack) out.

I wonder if Major Applewhite has killed his chances to ever be the UT HC because of his indiscretions a few years back at the Fiesta Bowl? That, coupled with his ridiculing opponents' fans after UT victories could make it difficult for Applewhite to find another job. I'd take him in a heartbeat as an OC, but his salary at UT is $575k, probably more than Tulane pays any assistant, even in the coming years!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Is it me, or does Mack look a whole lot like George W Bush?

ESPN is reporting that Mack is set to resign. He's denied it, but that would certainly make sense, you don't announce your resignation during a recruiting trip!

My question becomes do we scoop up Major Applewhite as the O coordinator after they hire a new HC? His star is dim outside of Austin due to Fiesta Bowl scandal in 2009. Does Tulane take on someone with a checkered past like Major?

I personally think he could be the shot in the arm the offense needs. What do others think? Golfnut???
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote:Is it me, or does Mack look a whole lot like George W Bush?

ESPN is reporting that Mack is set to resign. He's denied it, but that would certainly make sense, you don't announce your resignation during a recruiting trip!

My question becomes do we scoop up Major Applewhite as the O coordinator after they hire a new HC? His star is dim outside of Austin due to Fiesta Bowl scandal in 2009. Does Tulane take on someone with a checkered past like Major?

I personally think he could be the shot in the arm the offense needs. What do others think? Golfnut???
The latest word...Mack will resign/retire at a press conference on Thursday.... He will Coach the Alamo Bowl and ride off into the Lake Travis sunset...Macks days have been numbered since DeLoss Doods announced his reitrement... Regarding the good Major.. I do not see him having much of a future at Texas or Tulane...many think he is more of a problem than a solution and if not for Mack he would be coaching at a middle school in some small west Texas town. The Texas "O" and the QB's have been in steady decline and that falls at the feet of Applewhite. I do not think it will take UT very long to name Mack's replacement and it will not be Nick Saban. Malzahn's name has been mentioned many times, but I think they would love to have Jim Harbaugh.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

While I can appreciate your (much more local than mine) insight, Golfnut, I can't see them going after an NFL coach that went to Michigan. Maybe I'm wrong, but they'd have to pay a whole hell of a lot to get him away from a 49ers team that he's really turned around. And (again I may be wrong) but I just don't think the "old boys" in Austin are that fond of the idea of paying up to lure a former Wolverine to take the reigns.

A lot of folks don't like Saban, but he's been a winner at every stop (shy of the NFL). Then again, if they did hire Jim Harbaugh, I wouldn't bet against him having the 'Horns playing for a title in a couple of years.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Mack Brown has resigned as Head coach at Texas. Next summer I wish Tulane's new president would fire the loser AD and give Mack strong consideration for the job. A 5 year, $10 million contract with the job to position Tulane Athletics for a move into a new conference(Big 12).
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

JerseyWave wrote:Mack Brown has resigned as Head coach at Texas. Next summer I wish Tulane's new president would fire the loser AD and give Mack strong consideration for the job. A 5 year, $10 million contract with the job to position Tulane Athletics for a move into a new conference(Big 12).

I do not think Mack and Sally will leaving Austin any time soon and if they do it will be to North Carolina to retire in the Mountains..Mack wants nothing to do with Tulane, he is long past that part of his life...Mack will be re-assigned within the Athletic dept as an Assistant to the University President (a fundraising/PR position)
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wave QB
Swell

I hope Mack takes down Oregon in the Alamo Bowl for his last game.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

One last Mackster tidbit.... Da Mack pulled the ole Indy Bowl organizational ploy;

Players/Staff:...get to San Antonio the best way you can...we will not have any organized mode of transportation for your benefit either to or from San Antonio. I hope to see you on the 25th

Best of luck.. travel safetly... Sincerely

Coach Brown