Tulane Football Head Coach Curtis Johnson

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
GreenLantern
Riptide

netshorty wrote:Was looking forward to this season and was drinking the Kool-aid that we were a young team last year and that this year would be our breakout year. Special teams aside, which is probably the worst in the country, statistically this is how we have fared against the four teams we faced this year and last.

2015 / 2014
Points Allowed 182 / 115
Points Scored 72 / 50 (thank goodness for that 45 pt UCF game)
Points +/- -110 / -65 (again thank goodness for that UCF win)

If that wasn't discouraging enough, here's more:
Offense
First downs 57 / 77 (5/gm fewer)
Total Yards 854 / 1262 (102/gm fewer)
Turnovers 6 / 11 (we've turned the ball over 5 fewer times, the only positive blip)

Defense
Opp First Downs 100 / 77 (5+ more first downs/gm)
Opp Total Yards 1828 / 1376 (113/gm more)
Turnovers Caused 10 / 10

When you NET those offense and defensive statistics there's a difference of 215 fewer yards & fewer 10+ first downs per game compared to a team that was 0-4 in those same games last year. WOW! I didn't go through the effort of seeing how we compared to returning starters, especially key positions, for the other teams. But I'm guessing we may have been returning the most starters in most cases.

But we are 1-3 in those games this year so I'm thinking this will be marked as improvement. Ridiculous.
Lots of research went into this first post. Good work!

COChip
Low Tide

golfnut69 wrote:
GreenLantern wrote:In related news (as they say on TV), the North Texas State Mean Green were so disappointed with the performance of their football team after losing to Portland State 66-7 that they fired their coach within hours after the game. Adding injury to insult, NTSU had paid Portland state $425K to deliver this azz-kicking, the worst defeat ever of an FBS team by an FCS squad. BTW, earlier this season Portland State had defeated Mike Leach's Washington State by a score of 24-17. Can we please interview this coach?

When this sort of humiliation is visited upon long suffering Tulane fans, we're far too sophisticated to fire our coaching staff. Instead we eloquently savage one another on Internet football forums.

AAHHHH... Portland State....home of the Mouse Davis "Run N Gun Offense", used by the ole USFL Houston Gamblers and Jim Kelly
Actually, they run an innovative offense out of the pistol. I believe Jerry Glanville was there a few years ago but he's gone. Interestingly, their coach is an interim head coach that has been in place since the end of last season. They were in the process of trying to find a new AD at the time so they promoted this assistant and gave him a 12 month contract. Someone is going to hire this guy either as a HC or OC at a bigger school.
GreenGears
Low Tide

So, can someone explain the benefit of keeping CJ on as a head coach at this point? It would seem other programs are already making moves to improve their coaching.

If we are going to wait until after this season, I would like to see an offensive coordinator or defensive coordinator who maybe was also "assistant head coach" at a program that consistently wins be brought in. Essentially the move UCONN made hiring Bob Diaco, who previously was defensive coordinator at Notre Dame.
Jonathan
Riptide

What future? Another Toledo but Rick Dickson is paying this loser over a million dollars a year for three wins? Tulane has a 20m a year deficit hidden by Cowen.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

COChip wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
GreenLantern wrote:In related news (as they say on TV), the North Texas State Mean Green were so disappointed with the performance of their football team after losing to Portland State 66-7 that they fired their coach within hours after the game. Adding injury to insult, NTSU had paid Portland state $425K to deliver this azz-kicking, the worst defeat ever of an FBS team by an FCS squad. BTW, earlier this season Portland State had defeated Mike Leach's Washington State by a score of 24-17. Can we please interview this coach?

When this sort of humiliation is visited upon long suffering Tulane fans, we're far too sophisticated to fire our coaching staff. Instead we eloquently savage one another on Internet football forums.

AAHHHH... Portland State....home of the Mouse Davis "Run N Gun Offense", used by the ole USFL Houston Gamblers and Jim Kelly
Actually, they run an innovative offense out of the pistol. I believe Jerry Glanville was there a few years ago but he's gone. Interestingly, their coach is an interim head coach that has been in place since the end of last season. They were in the process of trying to find a new AD at the time so they promoted this assistant and gave him a 12 month contract. Someone is going to hire this guy either as a HC or OC at a bigger school.
CoChip... I do not know what O' they run now...but back in da dey when Mouse Davis was there, they ran the Run n Gun which he took to the USFL and the Houston Gamblers, whose QB was Jim Kelley .. The "pistol" O was put in place at the University of Nevada about 8 or 9 years ago...it took the elements of the shotgun and the "I" or single back formation and made it more functional...the running back was actually moving towards the line of scrimmage before getting the handoff rather than waiting on the QB to come forward out of the gun to place the handoff to a standing still running back
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Eaglewave
Swell

I think Terry Bowden would leave Akron in a heartbeat to take the Tulane job. At this point, I will take Jeff Bowden. Lol.
Ball Sumrall!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Eaglewave wrote:I think Terry Bowden would leave Akron in a heartbeat to take the Tulane job. At this point, I will take Jeff Bowden. Lol.

why not Skip Holtz ? ... or better yet, let's really make some local news...let's hire Ed Daniels...he should as hell could do no worse
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Eaglewave
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:I think Terry Bowden would leave Akron in a heartbeat to take the Tulane job. At this point, I will take Jeff Bowden. Lol.

why not Skip Holtz ? ... or better yet, let's really make some local news...let's hire Ed Daniels...he should as hell could do no worse
Skip ain't leaving La Tech for us.
Ball Sumrall!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Eaglewave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:

I agree...Skip could be headed to Maryland or Illinois... the Maryland job is not the easiest and the Illini could be very competitive if they can keep their kids in state.. The AAC job that may interest Skip, would be UCF
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:

I agree...Skip could be headed to Maryland or Illinois... the Maryland job is not the easiest and the Illini could be very competitive if they can keep their kids in state.. The AAC job that may interest Skip, would be UCF
Throw out his record at Maryland, I'd take Randy Edsall in a heartbeat. He's done more with less than what Tulane offers in his days at UConn. I also think Greg Schiano is still looking.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Throw out his record at Maryland, I'd take Randy Edsall in a heartbeat. He's done more with less than what Tulane offers in his days at UConn. I also think Greg Schiano is still looking.

Schiano at Tulane !!!!.. Those pampered players would revolt in a heartbeat....
netshorty
Surge

12/4/2011:
JerseyWave wrote:All I can say is, hopefully in a few years when we go through this exercise of futility again, we will have a different athletic director!
nice prognostigation JerseyWave :D . Kinda happening as you saw it back in December 2011

Sorry I wasn't on this board at the time of the CJ hire and was curious about the opinions of him being named coach back then. Looks like most guys were dead on about this one...
puffy
Surge

Rereading this thread; interesting how the fans who supposedly don't know very much were SPOT on with the CJ hire 4 years ago.
RobertM320
Green Wave

puffy wrote:Rereading this thread; interesting how the fans who supposedly don't know very much were SPOT on with the CJ hire 4 years ago.
Virtually all of us were correct from the get-go. Before it was even officially announced. I also notice a few posters who said they were done with Tulane athletics if it was true. And to be honest, I don't remember seeing them around again.

Also, any number of posters made comments referencing "four years and we'll be doing it all over again" and you know what? We are. In fact, the word first broke on Nov 29, 2011. Can't get much closer to 4 years than that.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
puffy
Surge

This is why it's stunning how Frank Wilson could be considered a candidate for this job by anyone, with virtually an identical resume as CJ but with fewer years in coaching. Past history has shown that these recruiting gurus NEVER recruit at the level that they did where they got their reputations in the first place, which are usually P5 football factories that largely recruit themselves.
JerseyWave
Riptide

netshorty wrote:12/4/2011:
JerseyWave wrote:All I can say is, hopefully in a few years when we go through this exercise of futility again, we will have a different athletic director!
nice prognostigation JerseyWave :D . Kinda happening as you saw it back in December 2011

Sorry I wasn't on this board at the time of the CJ hire and was curious about the opinions of him being named coach back then. Looks like most guys were dead on about this one...
Wow! Thanks for digging that up. Hard to believe four years have passed. I also made the comment, " A wide receivers coach is taking over a rock bottom football program." Huge fail by Cowen/Dickson.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Enjoy JJ :lol: :lol:
phpBB [video]
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

puffy wrote:Rereading this thread; interesting how the fans who supposedly don't know very much were SPOT on with the CJ hire 4 years ago.
It's not really surprising. The incompetence of the PTB has long since become obvious, and so assuming that there are a number of posters here would could do better a better job for Tulane Athletics isn't that surprising.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:Enjoy JJ :lol: :lol:
phpBB [video]
That guy still pulling in >$1M/year? Just checking.
wave97
Swell

phpBB [video]
What a deceitful jack ass. It makes me sick to my stomach to watch that clip.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

wave97 wrote:
phpBB [video]
What a deceitful jack ass. It makes me sick to my stomach to watch that clip.
Scary. The Saints pushed CJ right over on him.
Same way they blocked Arnie.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

CJ going back to the Saints?
https://whodatwarriors.com/2016/01/27/c ... ns-saints/
He was re-hired in 2016 by the Saints as a Offensive Assistant/Senior Wide Receivers Assistant.

Coach Curtis Johnson has had a long history of recruiting players from the New Orleans area and a long-time relationship with Sean Payton. (Both Johnson and Sean Payton were on the San Diego State University staff together in 1988). Johnson was recently the coach for Tulane University until this year. Until today when Greg Lewis (former wide receivers coach) left for the Eagles, there did not seem to be a spot on the coaching staff for Curtis Johnson. But with Lewis leaving, it is possible a spot may open up for him
Tulane Class of 1981
ccap05
Surge

Best of luck to him and I am glad he landed on his feet in NOLA. He is a class guy even if he was not a good fit to be the Head Coach at Tulane.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

The title of this thread sickens me...and the video / pics of that carpetbagger just makes me madder than holy hell
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote:The title of this thread sickens me...and the video / pics of that carpetbagger just makes me madder than holy hell
The link page on CJ's job has been taken down.
Tulane Class of 1981