Tulane Football Head Coach Curtis Johnson

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
TU23
High Tide

Tammy just tweeted that she's hearing CJ.

TrkWave
Ripple

Looks like CJ, Tammy is tweeting it. She is probably right, may be announced on Sunday night football.
RobertM320
Green Wave

TU23 wrote:Tammy just tweeted that she's hearing CJ.
If so, that's pretty F'n sad. We hire a search firm to do a national search, and the best we can come up with is a coach down the street? And if its because no one else wanted it, that speaks volumes for where our program is.

Guess I'll have to put football on the back burner for awhile. This really doesn't thrill me at all.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
TrkWave
Ripple

Well if it is CJ, good luck to him. At least he has the same gameday office for a while, haha. If he has the resources we have all heard of, I am sure he can be successful.
JerseyWave
Riptide

A wide receiver coach is taking over a rock bottom football program....
TU23
High Tide

If this is true, we gave up and settled. We offered 4 guys the job and they all turned us down. I wish Coach Johnson the best, he's going to need it.
ExileWave
Surge

If it is true, all I can say is what a pathetic search. Passed over numerous times for coordinator jobs, a WR coach....at least this gives us 3-4 years to construct a list for our next search. Bet we are paying him $600-800k max. I will believe the "commitment" when I see it. Time to forget Tulane football for 10 months. :oops: :evil:
plr90
Ripple

I think this board came up with a lot better options than our "search firm'. if it"s CJ I wish him well. I'll hope for any new coach to succeed.

Pat Hill just got let go at Fresno. We're going to settle for less I'm afraid
JerseyWave
Riptide

All I can say is, hopefully in a few years when we go through this exercise of futility again, we will have a different athletic director!
baldboy
Low Tide

JerseyWave wrote:A wide receiver coach is taking over a rock bottom football program....
A wide recievwrs coach of the very well respected New Orleans Saints. A man who has or appears to have a wonderful family, six kids. A man with a Superbowl ring he will bring along with various pro bowl NFL players to the living rooms of recruits! This is a choice thay the media will give a wide birth because of where he comes from. This could be a great hire and to think, we hired a "national" search firm bahhhhh! Perhaps we can get a refund or a credit.
tnelly15
Riptide

JerseyWave wrote:All I can say is, hopefully in a few years when we go through this exercise of futility again, we will have a different athletic director!
Hopefully we're not doing this again in a few years. CJ isnt my 1st choice, but that doesnt mean he's guaranteed to fail.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

baldboy wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:A wide receiver coach is taking over a rock bottom football program....
A wide recievwrs coach of the very well respected New Orleans Saints. A man who has or appears to have a wonderful family, six kids. A man with a Superbowl ring he will bring along with various pro bowl NFL players to the living rooms of recruits! This is a choice thay the media will give a wide birth because of where he comes from. This could be a great hire and to think, we hired a "national" search firm bahhhhh! Perhaps we can get a refund or a credit.
A wonderful family man? Perfect for a program where we don't judge by wins and losses.

There's no way to put lipstick on this pig. I feel sorry for Curtis Johnson.
JerseyWave
Riptide

OK, if this guys a recruiter I hope he can work some magic between now and February. I will support him.
TU882
Ripple

Per coachingsearch.com
Tulane: New Orleans Saints wide receivers coach Curtis Johnson has landed the Tulane head coaching job.
HSV
High Tide

It would appear that all along CJ was Tulane's "fallback" coach. We know they tried for RR, inquired about every person under the sun, but I believe they really thought they could get Monken. They apparantly approached him before Hawaii, he said not now/or no. They waited for the season to be over, and he once again says no. [in between there may have been other coaches that said no also...all conjecture at this point]

I guess it is what it is...we'll all see if he can coach and be an administer of (coordinate all the asst. coaches, hire/fire, select scheme) and the face of an overall program (meet the media, meet the boosters, meet all the recruits families etc...). To date, he hasn't done these things before. Best of luck.

If it is CJ, I don't know how one on the surface can say this is the beginning of doing things in a new way at TU. It would appear TU is taking another chance on a lower tier coach (that ironically is not apparantly on anyone else's search list). Amidst all of the spin at the presser, will have to be a LOT of detail about what is different to appease many out there. Specifics about $$$, majors, etc....

The local press won't attack them on this hire because the guy is local (born) and employed (Saints). Fitting the Frank Wilson mold in many ways. That silences some in the local press. I wonder if Ed Daniels bites his lip or does he still say same ole same ole with regard to no JC's, and the same stuff he has been saying for the last 10+ years. Also, I think with this hire you will may see a heavy dose of stadium talk to distract the message if they anticipate any negative feedback at the press conference.
cajunwave
Ripple

I only hope that Dickson And Cowan are now aware of how rediculous the Tulane Model is looked upon by decent football coaches around the country. They may now understand how the last 61 years of Tulane coaches have had the difficult job of trying to get good football players under this model. Only 13 winning seasons in 61 years is proof that this has been a failure. As long as the preception held by good coaches, good players and the fans, is that you don't play to win Tulane will get none of them. Nobody over the last 61 years can prove that we played to win.

cajunwave
baldboy
Low Tide

K
jonathanjoseph wrote:
TU23 wrote:
TrkWave wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:All I can say is, hopefully in a few years when we go through this exercise of futility again, we will have a different athletic director!
Y'all may feel free to ridicule me. But if it is CJ, I think he is gonna be a Conroy like hire. Not a big splash, but a slow building wave.
I really want Conroy to succeed, but people are canonizing Conroy for beating the 10th-12th rated team in the ACC plus a bunch of SWAC level schools. We don't even know if he's worth a crap yet. Let's wait until he wins some conference games before we talk about him like he's Bobby Knight. I love his enthusiasm and so far this year things look up, but we haven't done anything yet.

Whoever our next coach is, I hope they do well. If it's CJ, I hope he proves me wrong and wins 10 games a year.
I would rather have a coaching search because our coach got poached! This would indicate success and winning. JJ try to cheer up your gloom and doom is self defeating. We need to support our new coach not RD or SC

Worse, Conroy is that good and he'll be poached at the end of this season or next and Dickson will get to pick another coach. Yay!
gbgreenie
Surge

What about Calvin Magee, Rich Rodriguez's right hand man at West Virginia and Michigan. He was offensive coordinator at Pitt. He has resigned and Rich Rod is having him join him as a assistant at Arizona. He knows RR offense inside out. Why wouldn't he come here as head coach. Read below:

Magee was Rodriguez's right-hand man at West Virginia and Michigan, serving a total of six seasons as offensive coordinator. He spent the 2011 season as Pitt's co-offensive coordinator.

Magee, 48, is also being considered for the head coach's job at UMass, according to the Post-Gazette. He made $281,600 as Michigan's offensive coordinator from 2008-10 after spending six seasons at West Virginia, three as the Mountaineers' offensive coordinator. He was named the 2007 American Football Coaches Association (AFCA) Assistant Coach of the Year and was a finalist for the Broyles Award after his offense rated among the top 15 in four offensive categories. The Mountaineers were third in rushing offense, eighth in third-down efficiency (48 pct.), ninth in scoring offense (39.6 avg.) and 15th in total offense (456.2 avg.) Magee played four seasons (1985-88)for the NFL's Tampa Bay Buccaneers before going into coaching.
hounddog
Low Tide

Give it up dude
gbgreenie
Surge

Never:

What about Calvin Magee, Rich Rodriguez's right hand man at West Virginia and Michigan. He was offensive coordinator at Pitt. He has resigned and Rich Rod is having him join him as a assistant at Arizona. He knows RR offense inside out. Why wouldn't he come here as head coach. Read below:

Magee was Rodriguez's right-hand man at West Virginia and Michigan, serving a total of six seasons as offensive coordinator. He spent the 2011 season as Pitt's co-offensive coordinator.

Magee, 48, is also being considered for the head coach's job at UMass, according to the Post-Gazette. He made $281,600 as Michigan's offensive coordinator from 2008-10 after spending six seasons at West Virginia, three as the Mountaineers' offensive coordinator. He was named the 2007 American Football Coaches Association (AFCA) Assistant Coach of the Year and was a finalist for the Broyles Award after his offense rated among the top 15 in four offensive categories. The Mountaineers were third in rushing offense, eighth in third-down efficiency (48 pct.), ninth in scoring offense (39.6 avg.) and 15th in total offense (456.2 avg.) Magee played four seasons (1985-88)for the NFL's Tampa Bay Buccaneers before going into coaching.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:This pains me to post this but here it is................
After being held hostage for 43 days it down to Curtis Johnson, should he decline it's Mike Haywood.
Tulane will have it's first ever minority coach in history. Mike Leach was NEVER under consideration.
You heard if first here Nov 29, 2011, I have the best sources..
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
gbgreenie
Surge

Its never over until its over.
gbgreenie
Surge

jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

is gbgreenie cracking under pressure here?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

gbgreenie wrote:What about Calvin Magee, Rich Rodriguez's right hand man at West Virginia and Michigan. He was offensive coordinator at Pitt. He has resigned and Rich Rod is having him join him as a assistant at Arizona. He knows RR offense inside out. Why wouldn't he come here as head coach. Read below:

My sources tell me Frank Scelfo's out of work, he turned down the tight-end job RR offered him.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981