Tulane Football Head Coach Curtis Johnson

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
Jonathan
Riptide

Love your caps! Tommy Bowden was the best football coach Tulane had in recent history. He took our football program with Coach Rod to 12-0 and number 7 in the nation. What is your big hang up with this great football family?

GreenLantern
Riptide

I'm not anticipating that Tulane will have the opportunity to make a coaching change within the next 14 months, but if that happened:

You can't help but get a little excited about Matt Campbell, head coach of Toledo. At 35, he's one of the youngest coaches in the FBS and has made a big difference at Toledo during his short career. He had an offer as OC at the University of Illinois under former Toledo head coach Matt Campbell but turned the job down for the opportunity as head coach at Toledo. He's starting his fourth year and here's his record:
  • 2012 - 9-4
  • 2013 - 7-5
  • 2014 - 9-4
  • 2015 - 3-0 with a win over Arkansas
Under his leadership, Toledo's offensive stats have ranked 32nd, 56th, and 16th in 2012,2013 and 2014. Can you imagine the improvement we would see in the Tulane offense if we had this kind of leadership? Although Toledo's offensive stats for this year appear to be very low, keep in mind that Toledo was held to a small amount of production in their upset win over Arkansas.

He makes $235,000 annually. Think he would come to Tulane for $800,000 and incentives? (Throw in an extra $50K for each win over 6 and a cool $250K for a bowl win). Hey, maybe I should be the AD. :lol:

Follow his career. He'll be in a big program soon. Wish it were ours.

P.S. Mike was an offensive line coach with the Falcons from 2007-2008. Earlier he was the offensive coordinator on two national title teams for the Mount Union Purple Raiders. He was part of three straight national championships there as a player from 2000-2002.
Last edited by GreenLantern on Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TU23
High Tide

I'm firmly in the CJ must go camp, but I'm very much against hiring a re-tread. Those guys rarely, if ever, work out. I'd be combing the Big XII, SEC, ACC, PAC 12 and Big 10 for a solid coordinator ready to make his mark as a head man similar to what Tulsa, SMU and Houston did last year. Lincoln Riley at OU, Mike Norvell at Arizona State, Jake Spavital at Texas A&M, and Doug Meachem and Sonny Cumbie at TCU make a lot of sense to me.

IF Barbara Burke gets the job (which I am not advocating), Dino Babers from Bowling Green would be a candidate. He's got a lot of experience at big programs (UCLA, Baylor, Arizona, Pitt and Texas A&M) and has been upwardly mobile as a head coach (from Eastern Illinois to Bowling Green). He also runs a wide open offense.
OUG
Riptide

Jonathan wrote:Love your caps! Tommy Bowden was the best football coach Tulane had in recent history. He took our football program with Coach Rod to 12-0 and number 7 in the nation. What is your big hang up with this great football family?
It isn't that recent, is the thing. We are coming up on it being 18 years ago.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

GreenLantern wrote:I'm not anticipating that Tulane will have the opportunity to make a coaching change within the next 14 months, but if that happened:

You can't help but get a little excited about Matt Campbell, head coach of Toledo. At 35, he's one of the youngest coaches in the FBS and has made a big difference at Toledo during his short career. He had an offer as OC at the University of Illinois under former Toledo head coach Matt Campbell but turned the job down for the opportunity as head coach at Toledo. He's starting his fourth year and here's his record:
  • 2012 - 9-4
  • 2013 - 7-5
  • 2014 - 9-4
  • 2015 - 3-0 with a win over Arkansas
Under his leadership, Toledo's offensive stats have ranked 32nd, 56th, and 16th in 2012,2013 and 2014. Can you imagine the improvement we would see in the Tulane offense if we had this kind of leadership? Although Toledo's offensive stats for this year appear to be very low, keep in mind that Toledo was held to a small amount of production in their upset win over Arkansas.

He makes $235,000 annually. Think he would come to Tulane for $800,000 and incentives? (Throw in an extra $50K for each win over 6 and a cool $250K for a bowl win). Hey, maybe I should be the AD. :lol:

Follow his career. He'll be in a big program soon. Wish it were ours.

P.S. Mike was an offensive line coach with the Falcons from 2007-2008. Earlier he was the offensive coordinator on two national title teams for the Mount Union Purple Raiders. He was part of three straight national championships there as a player from 2000-2002.
Good find. Definitely someone that should get a look.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

GreenLantern wrote:I'm not anticipating that Tulane will have the opportunity to make a coaching change within the next 14 months,
What kind of BS is this? In what world are we not allowed to fire someone for performance for 14 months! Are we a real organization or not? If so, someone needs to be in charge in December to make a decision based on the current state of the football program at that time. We cannot "punt" on another football season simply because Rick Dickson doesn't have the class or integrity to not collect another few hundred thousand dollars that he doesn't deserve.

If that's the case, rest assured not enough has changed for Tulane to be successful.
GreenLantern
Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote:
GreenLantern wrote:I'm not anticipating that Tulane will have the opportunity to make a coaching change within the next 14 months,
What kind of BS is this? In what world are we not allowed to fire someone for performance for 14 months! Are we a real organization or not? If so, someone needs to be in charge in December to make a decision based on the current state of the football program at that time. We cannot "punt" on another football season simply because Rick Dickson doesn't have the class or integrity to not collect another few hundred thousand dollars that he doesn't deserve.

If that's the case, rest assured not enough has changed for Tulane to be successful.
JJ, be calm. Try and suppress the voices you are hearing and try and regain a grasp of reality. Most of us here (you included) fear that we are locked in a state of coaching purgatory until such time that Mr. Dickson vacates his position and the next window of opportunity for hiring a football coach occurs.. According to my arithmetic, that will be in approximately 14 months.

Would it be nice if an AD is announced sooner? Yes, but don't count on it. It would also be nice if Coach Johnson wins the balance of his games this season, but I am not counting on that either.

In the meantime, I suggest decaf and 50mg of Zoloft daily.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

GreenLantern wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

JJ, be calm. Try and suppress the voices you are hearing and try and regain a grasp of reality. Most of us here (you included) fear that we are locked in a state of coaching purgatory until such time that Mr. Dickson vacates his position and the next window of opportunity for hiring a football coach occurs.. According to my arithmetic, that will be in approximately 14 months.

Would it be nice if an AD is announced sooner? Yes, but don't count on it. It would also be nice if Coach Johnson wins the balance of his games this season, but I am not counting on that either.

In the meantime, I suggest decaf and 50mg of Zoloft daily.
I'm an extremely calm person. I just refuse to allow these thing that only happen at Tulane to continue to be uttered as if they are normal.

There are people who believe that this move with Rick Dickson is a true change in direction. A true opportunity to fix things.

But if we continue putting off these decisions by years(!!!!!!) as opposed to the appropriate time frame of minutes, then nothing has changed and we are just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. I understand the reasoning behind your time frame. I'm pointing out that it is ludicrous, and no one here should stand for a wasted football season because Rick Dickson wants a few hundred thousand more Tulane dollars.

How about this? If things go south this football season and it appears that a change should be made, will everyone DEMAND Dickson's immediate resignation so that a decision can be made? Of course not. And that's why things don't change.
galvezwave
Swell

I gotta agree with jj. What if, God forbid, we go 1-11? 2-10? There can't be a circumstance where that coach returns. And guess what. A record like that is not out of the realm of possibility.
nawlinspete
Riptide

galvezwave wrote:I gotta agree with jj. What if, God forbid, we go 1-11? 2-10? There can't be a circumstance where that coach returns. And guess what. A record like that is not out of the realm of possibility.
Actually, we want to finish 1-11. Everything must point to the total abysmal failure of Dickson/Johnson.

There is no rational reason for Dickson to still be AD. He's been fired. Throw the bum out.

Losses required to assure Johnson canned. The best time to can him is TODAY.

The new AD, Mike Alford, should be on board no later than November 1, 2015.

Only At Tulane
would a worthless lame duck AD be allowed to prevent changes required for more than a year.

Only At Tulane
would a HC whose teams get progressively worse each year be allowed to begin a fourth year, let alone complete it.

President Fitts, JUST DO IT to both of them. NOW
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

If CJ is under contract (at $1.2 million/per) until 2020, we're stuck with him at least through next year. The buyout would be $6 million. That isn't going to happen. Damn.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

OUG wrote: There's no chance that CJ's buyout is 5 million. The buyout is not as simple as multiplying salary vs. years remaining.

That said, my guess is that it is 2-2.5 million right now.
Unless RD had the foresight to put a specific buyout clause in the contract (and we all know how pro-active Rick Dickson is) then the buyout most certainly is salary times years remaining. That's what's called a contract. $1.2 x 5 = $6 million. I'd be happy if there's a buyout clause, but contracts that are significant raises and extensions often times do not include University buyouts.

Here's a little play for those of you that think Ed Orgeron should be our next HC: I bet that Leonard Fournette is playing in the NFL before Tulane's next HC wins a game.
OUG
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:
OUG wrote: There's no chance that CJ's buyout is 5 million. The buyout is not as simple as multiplying salary vs. years remaining.

That said, my guess is that it is 2-2.5 million right now.
Unless RD had the foresight to put a specific buyout clause in the contract (and we all know how pro-active Rick Dickson is) then the buyout most certainly is salary times years remaining. That's what's called a contract. $1.2 x 5 = $6 million. I'd be happy if there's a buyout clause, but contracts that are significant raises and extensions often times do not include University buyouts.

Here's a little play for those of you that think Ed Orgeron should be our next HC: I bet that Leonard Fournette is playing in the NFL before Tulane's next HC wins a game.
I'd be shocked if Tulane didn't insist on a buyout clause. You can say that we don't like to hold coaches accountable, which is true. But we're also cheap as hell. I don't think an extension of that size happens without Gibson Hall insisting on a buyout clause.
sader24
Tsunami

If CJ has a $6 million buyout we are even stupider than I thought. This is why Dickson needs to go now and this is also why I think the fact that they are allowing him to create his own timetable is why Barbara Burke will be your next AD.
Wave755
Tsunami

sader24 wrote:If CJ has a $6 million buyout we are even stupider than I thought. This is why Dickson needs to go now and this is also why I think the fact that they are allowing him to create his own timetable is why Barbara Burke will be your next AD.
"Debbie Downer" why don't you find another university to hate on? :?:
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote:If CJ is under contract (at $1.2 million/per) until 2020, we're stuck with him at least through next year. The buyout would be $6 million. That isn't going to happen. Damn.
Did they just invest $100M or not? Because if they just invested $100M than eating $6M to buy out a coach is cheaper than wasting a year of D1A football. A year of empty Yulman would cost a lot more, tangibly and intangibly, than $6M.

So as I've been saying for years, this is trending towards disaster.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

sader24 wrote:If CJ has a $6 million buyout we are even stupider than I thought. This is why Dickson needs to go now and this is also why I think the fact that they are allowing him to create his own timetable is why Barbara Burke will be your next AD.
Not stupider than I thought.
Eaglewave
Swell

Yup, we are stupid. I didn't agree with his raise anyway. We go 5-2 in 2013 with a loss to South Alabama and act like CJ might run off somewhere. We give him a raise and he goes 7-6 for the season. Last season, our best showings were against SLU, UConn and a poorly coached Houston team. This year, we are happy with a win over Maine.
Ball Sumrall!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote:
"Debbie Downer" why don't you find another university to hate on? :?:
I think Sader is being real, not seeing things through olive green and sky blue glasses likes most do at the YOGWF.
sader24
Tsunami

I'm just calling it like I see it. I hope I'm wrong about Barbara Burke as I think more now than ever we need an exhaustive search for the absolute right person for this job. I will say that if their is any glimmer of hope if Burke is hired it's that her 1 hire was David Pierce and appears to have been a very good one. As for "Debbie Downer", you should reserve that moniker for the people that have given us the Tulane Football Program that we now must suffer through. All I do is blow more money than I should supporting a University that hasn't fulfilled it's obligations on the Athletics Front.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

sader24 wrote:I'm just calling it like I see it. I hope I'm wrong about Barbara Burke as I think more now than ever we need an exhaustive search for the absolute right person for this job. I will say that if their is any glimmer of hope if Burke is hired it's that her 1 hire was David Pierce and appears to have been a very good one. As for "Debbie Downer", you should reserve that moniker for the people that have given us the Tulane Football Program that we now must suffer through. All I do is blow more money than I should supporting a University that hasn't fulfilled it's obligations on the Athletics Front.
Sader....do you have a degree from Tulane ?
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Show Me
Tsunami

sader24 wrote:I'm just calling it like I see it. I hope I'm wrong about Barbara Burke as I think more now than ever we need an exhaustive search for the absolute right person for this job. I will say that if their is any glimmer of hope if Burke is hired it's that her 1 hire was David Pierce and appears to have been a very good one. As for "Debbie Downer", you should reserve that moniker for the people that have given us the Tulane Football Program that we now must suffer through. All I do is blow more money than I should supporting a University that hasn't fulfilled it's obligations on the Athletics Front.
Even someone like Dickson or Burke couldn't even miss on hiring a good baseball coach. Burke is a bean counter and should be left to do that. We need a dynamic personality to bring Tulane Athletics to the forefront it deserves not a bean counter.
Bigschtick
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote:

I believe he has said in the past that he does not but in my book, that makes him a SUPER fan and
all of his posts are spot on! Tulane is lucky to have him as a fan.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
wave97
Swell

I will be at the Temple game on October 10th. If Tulane continues to implode against UCF & nothing is announced about changes to the AD & Head Coaching positions I will wear Cherry & White to the Tulane tailgate at the Linc. I will explain to President Fitts that as an alumni of Tulane (and former Football player), I have chosen to support Temple for the simple reason that they care enough about their program to hire competent coaches and administrators.
This eight month sunset ride for Rick Dickson is absurd; the only explanation is that there is no buyout clause for CJ's contract. What kind of an AD does not include a buyout clause on a six year extension?
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Bigschtick wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:

I believe he has said in the past that he does not but in my book, that makes him a SUPER fan and
all of his posts are spot on! Tulane is lucky to have him as a fan.
Bigschtick... I agree.... Tulane needs to realize that most of the people who attend their games DO NOT have a Tulane degree, and have never seen the inside of one of the classrooms or lecture halls ...but these Bozo's do not think in that manner,... Let pose a question... you are the AD, would you rather have one alum give you one million dollars..or One Million fans give a dollar each ?.... The "thinking" at Wilson center better damn soon be "rethought".....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !