Tulane Football Head Coach Curtis Johnson

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
sader24
Tsunami

What are you talking about? I thought/think the 2 best qbs in Tulane history are Shaun King and Terrance Jones (2 Black Guys). Both better than Hontas, Ramsey, and Losman (3 White Guys). Bowden was a better more organized coach, CJ is a better recruiter. I could give a sh@t about race. I care about wins. Take that race BS somewhere else. Fact is CJ is not a great interviewer. End of story. Fans only get to see that, they aren't at practices and in locker rooms. How you come off publically is going to be how fans think of you unless you win (Belichik).

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:
NOLABigSteve wrote:
wavefan03 wrote:I think CJ is a better coach than Bowden.

No. Not even close. Not yet.
wavefan03 wrote:So you guys are all racists by dismissing Devin Powell because he's black, and for not willing to compare CJ against Bowden because he's black.
Huh? Really?

Cowen is white, and he is awful. So I guess I'm racist against whites.

The only color I see with Tulane is Olive Green & Blue.

Take that crap somewhere else.
+1 Steve, well said.
+1000
The race card has been played, unappropriately, once again.

I'm coming around on Devin Powell because he looked pretty good in a clutch situation (overtime of the ECU game). Last year, IMHO, he was terrible. The difference from Powell to Grant was HUGE. The difference between Powell and Montana doesn't appear to be very big, other than knowledge of the playbook. The color of his, or anyone's skin is meaningless. His ability to lead the team (as is the same with CJ) is what matters. PERIOD, END OF DISCUSSION.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
OUG
Riptide

wavefan03 wrote:
I'll throw out some more controversy with the following two points:

I checked Devin Powell's stats before ECU game. Not even two full games last year if I remember right - regardless not that much playing time. The kid was an all-state QB at O Perry. The other QB Jordy Joseph was all-state as well. So I didn't even bother checking Tanner Lee's stats. Yet everyone on this board called for Tanner Lee.

There's a post on here comparing the 98 team and this year's team. Just look at the Saints this year - the head coach is the largest difference maker on what makes a football team successful. In the financial world the greatest investor of all time Warren Buffet places his bets mostly based on the CEO. I used to be pretty good friends with one of the Bowden kids in high-school. I tried searching around on here for info on Bowden but there are over 90 topics that mention him. I don't know enough about the 98 team to give a definite answer, but I think CJ is a better coach than Bowden. At least Bowden had Sandy Barbour and a supporting athletic department, plus decent recruits from Teeven's years; CJ has no support cast and a 10 year loser mentality.

So you guys are all racists by dismissing Devin Powell because he's black, and for not willing to compare CJ against Bowden because he's black.
I'll take this head on, because I'm probably one of the first person to call people out on coded racial **** every day. People call this playing the race card, but in reality, its usually just recognizing the impact race has on our every day perceptions.

So in theory I'm sympathetic to your argument, but its just total BS.

1) Devin Powell sucked last year. Our BLACK head coach went looking for another QB in the "transfer market" because he did not feel comfortable giving Powell the job. That is the reality. That has a lot more to do with people's perception of Powell's ability than anything related to his race. Now, the one weird racial thing with Powell is that a lot of people assumed he'd be a so-called "mobile" or dual-threat quarterback. There's definitely a racial component to that, because in contrast to Montana, he is the proto-typical pocket passer with a cannon for an arm but limited to zero mobility. But as for questioning his abilities as a QB, it has everything to do with how he looked as a freshman, how CJ evaluated him last-fall (going out and getting Montana), and how (although improved) he seemed to have some issues putting touches on his throws last week for most of the game. It has NOTHING to do with his race.

As for Tanner Lee? The reason why SOME people were looking to him over Powell has more to do with how much we know Coach Neu wanted him during his recruitment; practice reports of him potentially surpassing Powell; and last but not least, the fact that he played in the Catholic league. In my opinion, there are a lot of long-time Tulane fans who went to Catholic League schools and will always have an affinity for players from Jesuit, Rummel, Brother Martin and Holy Cross. You can call that race-related, but I don't think it is in this case.

2) Coach CJ doesn't suck at interviews. He is just learning on the job -- assistant coaches rarely give media appearances in the NFL or college. His comfort in front of a microphone has improved by leaps and bounds, and anyone who can't see that is blind in my opinion. As to people not comparing him to Bowden based on race -- Man, Bowden had Tulane ranked by this point in CJ's tenure. And we were doing ridiculously innovative things on offense that were groundbreaking and exciting to see. There is no comparison. This is not a knock on CJ -- forcing CJ to live up to Bowden's example at this point would be unfair.

You really think that people thinking Bowden is a better coach has to do with him being a good old boy and not because he put Tulane in the top ten?

Chris Scelfo was the definition of a good old boy -- more so than Bowden -- and he took tons of abuse (prematurely, then deservedly).
OUG
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
NOLABigSteve wrote:
wavefan03 wrote:I think CJ is a better coach than Bowden.

No. Not even close. Not yet.
wavefan03 wrote:So you guys are all racists by dismissing Devin Powell because he's black, and for not willing to compare CJ against Bowden because he's black.
Huh? Really?

Cowen is white, and he is awful. So I guess I'm racist against whites.

The only color I see with Tulane is Olive Green & Blue.

Take that crap somewhere else.
+1 Steve, well said.
+1000
The race card has been played, unappropriately, once again.

I'm coming around on Devin Powell because he looked pretty good in a clutch situation (overtime of the ECU game). Last year, IMHO, he was terrible. The difference from Powell to Grant was HUGE. The difference between Powell and Montana doesn't appear to be very big, other than knowledge of the playbook. The color of his, or anyone's skin is meaningless. His ability to lead the team (as is the same with CJ) is what matters. PERIOD, END OF DISCUSSION.
If I'm comparing Powell to Montana:

Montana:
(+) Knowledge of playbook
(+) Toughness
(+) Performance in clutch
(+) Nice touch
(+) Mobility
(-) SLOW to make decisions, holds ball too long
(-) Weak arm
(-) Locks in on Grant too much

Powell:
(+) Arm strength
(+) Spreads the ball around
(+) Quick release
(+) Quick decision making
(-) Lack of mobility/ability to improvise
(-) Lack of touch on passes
(-) Accuracy

Each QB has plusses and minuses. If Powell can use another start against Tulsa to show improvement, you may have a battle on your hands the rest of the season and in spring.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

I don't care about race what I care about is we are in year two and Powell has to go to the sidelines to get plays. However, what I also care about is the fact that this kid shows poise. Honestly last year was an impossible situation. True freshmen being thrown into the fire behind a putrid line. I actually was impressed that the kid was not totally rattled and throwing picks everywhere and fumbling. Same with ECU especially in overtime.

This is such a big game. I am worried about his ability to run the offense but not worried that he is going to be overwhelmed by the opportunity. Hell in some ways it might be good to have a limited QB with this line (e.g. releasing the ball quickly) but Tulsa saw the game tape, which realty really worries me.
RobertM320
Green Wave

wavefan03 wrote:I'll throw out some more controversy with the following two points:

I checked Devin Powell's stats before ECU game. Not even two full games last year if I remember right - regardless not that much playing time. The kid was an all-state QB at O Perry. The other QB Jordy Joseph was all-state as well. So I didn't even bother checking Tanner Lee's stats. Yet everyone on this board called for Tanner Lee.

There's a post on here comparing the 98 team and this year's team. Just look at the Saints this year - the head coach is the largest difference maker on what makes a football team successful. In the financial world the greatest investor of all time Warren Buffet places his bets mostly based on the CEO. I used to be pretty good friends with one of the Bowden kids in high-school. I tried searching around on here for info on Bowden but there are over 90 topics that mention him. I don't know enough about the 98 team to give a definite answer, but I think CJ is a better coach than Bowden. At least Bowden had Sandy Barbour and a supporting athletic department, plus decent recruits from Teeven's years; CJ has no support cast and a 10 year loser mentality.

So you guys are all racists by dismissing Devin Powell because he's black, and for not willing to compare CJ against Bowden because he's black.
I think I want to chime in here as well. So what that Jordy Joseph was all-state? So what that he's black? Bottom line, he's a WALK-ON. Obviously, no coach anywhere saw enough ability there to offer a scholly. Its got NOTHING to do with black/white/brown, or otherwise, and EVERYTHING to do with talent.

Considering two thirds or more of most football teams are black, if we were truly racist, we'd all be watching NASCAR instead of football.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
OUG
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote:
wavefan03 wrote:I'll throw out some more controversy with the following two points:

I think I want to chime in here as well. So what that Jordy Joseph was all-state? So what that he's black? Bottom line, he's a WALK-ON. Obviously, no coach anywhere saw enough ability there to offer a scholly. Its got NOTHING to do with black/white/brown, or otherwise, and EVERYTHING to do with talent.

Considering two thirds or more of most football teams are black, if we were truly racist, we'd all be watching NASCAR instead of football.
Well, I don't know that their mutually exclusive. I do know some people who I truly do believe have some racial issues but still like football. The mind is a complicated thing.

But we're getting a little far afield of the topic here, which is Curtis Johnson.
RobertM320
Green Wave

OUG wrote:But we're getting a little far afield of the topic here, which is Curtis Johnson.
And a damn fine job he's doing!
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
trifling greenie
Ripple

wavefan03 wrote:I can reference a boat load of negative references to CJ in this forum. We are only 10 years away from the Rooney rule. If black coaches are to be considered on par with white coaches then they have to take the criticism as well.

Unless he's magically changed since N. Texas he can't interview worth a damn. But he can recruit. I had friends at Tulane who seemed normal enough - one was a drunk, the other chased every skirt around campus - yet they could pick up a textbook and learn things in an instant. It's as if these guys were autistic; but no, people just don't have the ability to predict intelligence or aptitude. You can't create an experiment or test for it, else every college or business would be using that test. CJ is one of these guys. Two hall of fame recruits, and at the Saints a receiver drafted in the 7th round that's in my opinion top 5 in the NFL and has been the most consistent receiver the last 5 years.

I'll throw out some more controversy with the following two points:

Fine, I'll compare him. He's better than some other coaches we've had, but he isn't doing as well as Bowden did.
Robert1969
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote: Considering two thirds or more of most football teams are black, if we were truly racist, we'd all be watching NASCAR instead of football.
Let me stop you right there, Robert. The fact that people like to watch black athletes play sports, in no way, discount the possibility that those same people aren't racist.

Conservatives (not accusing you of being one) love to talk about "liberal white guilt", well let's introduce you to something far more insidious: conservative white denial.

People love to point out examples of how we "accept" black people in one role or the other and use that to discount the existence of racism. There were some cold hard racists who still wanted to watch Joe Louis fight. There were some cold hard racists who rooted for Jesse Owens. And there were some cold hard racists who cheered Jim Brown.

Racism, after all, was never rooted in the doubt of black people's physical abilities. Indeed, slavery was predicated, in part, of perception of black people's physical abilities. We know that the purported inferiority of black people was predicated on their intelligence (or purported lack thereof).

Translating that to football, the same racist who might accept and even admire a guy like Adrian Peterson as a star running back, might see a guy like RG III as not having what it takes to be quarterback because quarterbacks are seen as the brains of the team on the field, and a racist would discount a black athlete's intellectual ability to play quarterback.

Now, mind you Robert, I am not accusing YOU of racism. But you (generally speaking) can admire Orleans Darkwa or Ryan Grant, and because of racism still not accept the idea of Devin Powell at quarterback particularly with a system as complex and brainy as this one because of racist views.

Again, I AM NOT SUGGESTING YOU ARE RACIST, but, the fact that anyone can enjoy watching black people play sports doesn't preclude the possibility of the same person being a racist.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Robert1969 wrote:
RobertM320 wrote: Considering two thirds or more of most football teams are black, if we were truly racist, we'd all be watching NASCAR instead of football.
Let me stop you right there, Robert. The fact that people like to watch black athletes play sports, in no way, discount the possibility that those same people aren't racist.

Conservatives (not accusing you of being one) love to talk about "liberal white guilt", well let's introduce you to something far more insidious: conservative white denial.

People love to point out examples of how we "accept" black people in one role or the other and use that to discount the existence of racism. There were some cold hard racists who still wanted to watch Joe Louis fight. There were some cold hard racists who rooted for Jesse Owens. And there were some cold hard racists who cheered Jim Brown.

Racism, after all, was never rooted in the doubt of black people's physical abilities. Indeed, slavery was predicated, in part, of perception of black people's physical abilities. We know that the purported inferiority of black people was predicated on their intelligence (or purported lack thereof).

Translating that to football, the same racist who might accept and even admire a guy like Adrian Peterson as a star running back, might see a guy like RG III as not having what it takes to be quarterback because quarterbacks are seen as the brains of the team on the field, and a racist would discount a black athlete's intellectual ability to play quarterback.

Now, mind you Robert, I am not accusing YOU of racism. But you (generally speaking) can admire Orleans Darkwa or Ryan Grant, and because of racism still not accept the idea of Devin Powell at quarterback particularly with a system as complex and brainy as this one because of racist views.

Again, I AM NOT SUGGESTING YOU ARE RACIST, but, the fact that anyone can enjoy watching black people play sports doesn't preclude the possibility of the same person being a racist.
I agree 100% with what you're saying. And there was a time early on, where that did translate to the QB position. I remember when James Harris was QBing the LA Rams, and people didn't think he could win just because he was black. I think guys such as Doug Williams, Warren Moon, Donovan McNabb and others have pretty much proven that wrong. And to be honest, I think that any player at the college or pro level has to be pretty smart just to learn all the different plays and formations. I listen to guys like Brees and Manning and I'm constantly amazed at how complex the playbook is. Now, I've never played competitive football at any level, so maybe its just my lack of exposure to it that makes it seem so complex. I don't know.

On a side note (Middle Tennessee State leads Marshall 35-28 in the 3rd quarter).
waveclem
Surge

RobertM320 wrote:
Robert1969 wrote:

I agree 100% with what you're saying. And there was a time early on, where that did translate to the QB position. I remember when James Harris was QBing the LA Rams, and people didn't think he could win just because he was black. I think guys such as Doug Williams, Warren Moon, Donovan McNabb and others have pretty much proven that wrong. And to be honest, I think that any player at the college or pro level has to be pretty smart just to learn all the different plays and formations. I listen to guys like Brees and Manning and I'm constantly amazed at how complex the playbook is. Now, I've never played competitive football at any level, so maybe its just my lack of exposure to it that makes it seem so complex. I don't know.

On a side note (Middle Tennessee State leads Marshall 35-28 in the 3rd quarter).
Guys, this is really good discussion and I agree with the point that RobertM320 made but, I think this is too deep of a discussion for this thread and this board. Can we get back to the ignorant football talk and how Curtis Johnson is gonna take us too infinity and beyond?
RobertM320
Green Wave

CJ will lead us to infinity and beyond, waveclem, one recruit at a time!
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

There is a definitely a racial stereotype that negatively impacts black QBs. Shaun King's NFL career fell victim to this and that's why Brady Quinn is getting a new job while no one will look at guys like McNabb, Daunte Culpepper or Vince Young.

That being said, there is nothing racist going on at Tulane right now and the discussion probably isn't appropriate here.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

waveclem wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
Robert1969 wrote:

Guys, this is really good discussion and I agree with the point that RobertM320 made but, I think this is too deep of a discussion for this thread and this board. Can we get back to the ignorant football talk and how Curtis Johnson is gonna take us too infinity and beyond?
Waveclem is right. Steve can you give this is own thread on another board on the site.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
sader24
Tsunami

Shaun King didn't get another job bc his hands were too small. The ball was always falling out and he couldn't throw a spiral in the NFL. He was also 5-11 and played pretty poorly and was lifted up constantly by a ridiculous defense and a solid running game (Dunn and Alstott)
Eaglewave
Swell

Coaches like CJ run in to racist BS sometimes, but I don't think this one of those times. CJ came into a bad situation as a position coach. He came to a losing program who was at their last legs of losing. I thought many people, (black and white), were excited about him when they first heard him at the press conference. While others were not happy because of his non head coaching or coordinator experience. No matter what, I believe his resume was more reviewed by Tulane fans over his skin tone. I wanted a former head coach who proved that he could win in a traditional losing program, but I was content with CJ because of his local connections and ability to find diamonds in the rough. Yes, their are a few racist dummies who wanted him to part the red sea in year 1 and couldn't wait to bash him, but I believe that most fans wanted him to prove that he had what it took to change this program and show improvement.
Last edited by Eaglewave on Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ball Sumrall!
RobertM320
Green Wave

Eaglewave wrote:Coaches like CJ run in to racist BS sometimes, but I don't think this one of those times. CJ came into a bad situation as a position coach. He came to a losing program who was at their last legs of losing. I thought many people, (black and white), were excited about him when they first heard him at the press conference. While others were not happy because of his non head coaching or coordinator experience. No matter what, I believe his resume was more reviewed his Tulane fans over his skin tone. I wanted a former head coach who proved that they could win in a traditional losing program, but I was content with CJ because of his local connections and ability to find diamonds in the rough. Yes, their are a few racist dummies who wanted him to part the red sea I year 1, but I believe that most fans wanted him to prove that he had what it took to change this program and show improvement.
I was worried about his lack of HC experience, and I was also wonder whether he'd still be able to recruit like he did in the past, after being away from the college game. He's definitely answered my concerns.
Eaglewave
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:Coaches like CJ run in to racist BS sometimes, but I don't think this one of those times. CJ came into a bad situation as a position coach. He came to a losing program who was at their last legs of losing. I thought many people, (black and white), were excited about him when they first heard him at the press conference. While others were not happy because of his non head coaching or coordinator experience. No matter what, I believe his resume was more reviewed his Tulane fans over his skin tone. I wanted a former head coach who proved that they could win in a traditional losing program, but I was content with CJ because of his local connections and ability to find diamonds in the rough. Yes, their are a few racist dummies who wanted him to part the red sea I year 1, but I believe that most fans wanted him to prove that he had what it took to change this program and show improvement.
I was worried about his lack of HC experience, and I was also wonder whether he'd still be able to recruit like he did in the past, after being away from the college game. He's definitely answered my concerns.

I believe that was many fans concerns. However, there were many bashing him after his first season and still hating on him this season. Some haters are not racist while some are. That's life. Every race has ignorant a-s holes. The only thing that matters to most Tulane fans are the abilities to come away with wins and respect. I believe in CJ and stand behind him 100%. I don't like the fact that people are acting like he has turned into a head coach in year 2 just because he is winning a few games. Without all of the players lost before and during the early parts of the season last year, there is no doubt in my mind that they couldn't have won 6 or 7 games. It's amazing how people are claiming he is a different coach from last season, but many were bashing his head coaching abilities after the USA game this season. Lol. Just crazy! CJ is the same CJ. The man just deserves time to prove himself as a head coach. I believe he can do it, but he and his program have not yet reached the finish line in this long race.
Ball Sumrall!
RobertM320
Green Wave

Eaglewave wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:

I believe that was many fans concerns. However, there were many bashing him after his first season and still hating on him this season. Some haters are not racist while some are. That's life. Every race has ignorant a-s holes. The only thing that matters to most Tulane fans are the abilities to come away with wins and respect. I believe in CJ and stand behind him 100%. I don't like the fact that people are acting like he has turned into a head coach in year 2 just because he is winning a few games. Without all of the players lost before and during the early parts of the season last year, there is no doubt in my mind that they couldn't have won 6 or 7 games. It's amazing how people are claiming he is a different coach from last season, but many were bashing his head coaching abilities after the USA game this season. Lol. Just crazy! CJ is the same CJ. The man just deserves time to prove himself as a head coach. I believe he can do it, but he and his program have nor yet reached the finish line in this long race.
I don't think they're saying he's a different coach as in better/worse. I think they're referring to the fact he seems much more comfortable in the role of head coach than he was a year ago. Its just like a first time teacher. They need to set up their own routine, own schedule, own lesson plans, etc. The second year, if you're teaching the same subject, a lot of that work is done, and things go much smoother. I think that's what we're seeing here.
Eaglewave
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:

I believe that was many fans concerns. However, there were many bashing him after his first season and still hating on him this season. Some haters are not racist while some are. That's life. Every race has ignorant a-s holes. The only thing that matters to most Tulane fans are the abilities to come away with wins and respect. I believe in CJ and stand behind him 100%. I don't like the fact that people are acting like he has turned into a head coach in year 2 just because he is winning a few games. Without all of the players lost before and during the early parts of the season last year, there is no doubt in my mind that they couldn't have won 6 or 7 games. It's amazing how people are claiming he is a different coach from last season, but many were bashing his head coaching abilities after the USA game this season. Lol. Just crazy! CJ is the same CJ. The man just deserves time to prove himself as a head coach. I believe he can do it, but he and his program have nor yet reached the finish line in this long race.
I don't think they're saying he's a different coach as in better/worse. I think they're referring to the fact he seems much more comfortable in the role of head coach than he was a year ago. Its just like a first time teacher. They need to set up their own routine, own schedule, own lesson plans, etc. The second year, if you're teaching the same subject, a lot of that work is done, and things go much smoother. I think that's what we're seeing here.

I sure want to believe you, but I have read plenty of crazy post.
Ball Sumrall!
sader24
Tsunami

Can we get off the race subject now? We've all been successfully trolled time to move on. CJ is doing a good job this year and virtually every worry I heard about him in his 1st year had to do with his lack of a coordinator job and his indecisiveness by naming Co-Coordinators. IMO he's gotten criticism when it was deserved (Syracuse and S. Alabama this year). He's also gotten praise when warranted as well. He's clearly grown as a coach just over the course of this season as we look alot better over the last month and alot better coached. Mistakes have been corrected and the team is playing hard. There is no racial component in this situation.
OUG
Riptide

sader24 wrote:Can we get off the race subject now? We've all been successfully trolled time to move on. CJ is doing a good job this year and virtually every worry I heard about him in his 1st year had to do with his lack of a coordinator job and his indecisiveness by naming Co-Coordinators. IMO he's gotten criticism when it was deserved (Syracuse and S. Alabama this year). He's also gotten praise when warranted as well. He's clearly grown as a coach just over the course of this season as we look alot better over the last month and alot better coached. Mistakes have been corrected and the team is playing hard. There is no racial component in this situation.
The biggest change in CJ from this year to last, in my opinion, is learning that his job is the CEO of the football program, and relying on/investing responsibility in his staff. He always had all the tools to be a great "CEO", but never having been in that position for, I think even he would tell you that it was a difficult adjustment.

Now we need to maintain continuity on the staff, and that will be 100% financial. 500k invested in staff salaries this year will be the biggest "bang for the buck" investment we can make.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Time to start talks about an extension and raise for CJ AND THE ASSISTANTS. Make it clear that we appreciate what he's doing, and that similar results next year will likewise be rewarded. This first extension/raise need not be a doubling in salaries, but needs to be significant. There's still a whole lot of room for improvement, but clearly, we're pointed in the right direction, and the raise/extension should be a reward for a job not completed but very well done.

ROLL WAVE!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
JDTulane
Riptide

I agree. If we win 3 of our next 4 we need to open the checkbook. That is the reality.