Rich Rodriguez

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

jmjclu wrote:Rich Rod accepted the Tulane job on Sat night. His daughter called some friends and said that they were returning to New Orleans.
On Sunday morning an employee of the athletic dept called my younger son and told him that the Ariz AD was telling people that Rich Rod had taken the Tulane job. My son and this employee had been room mates as undergraduates at the Univ of Ariz.
On Sunday night it was announced that he was going to Ariz.
No one I know has any idea of what happened.
Mike Leech was interviewed on ESPN. I saw the clip. He stated that Scott Cowen was taking Tulane in the right direction and he was interested in the job. For whatever reason Scott Cowen had no interest in interviewing Leech.
Not to keep going with this discussion, but this merits a response.

No one knows what happened??!!

Like they say on ESPN, c'mon man....

Rich Rodriguez obviously wanted and the Arizona people wanted, too, to keep things quiet up until they could make the official announcement. In this day of so much use of Twitter and such that's not easy at all to do. He wasn't the first and won't be the last football coach to go through all manner of gyrations when getting a new position. Look at Nick Saban leaving the Dolphins to coach at Alabama as well as at Rich Rodriguez allegedly almost going to Alabama. He used TU's reported interest as leverage, sure, but he knew that he could land some position in a major program w/o having to drop all the way down from Univ. of Michigan to C-USA. That's not hard to see.

Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
jmjclu
High Tide

Fred
1) My story is correct.
2) There is nothing else to it, He did plan to coach Tulane , he had a 5yr $10,000,000 contract , and Cowen had given him the concessions he requested.

This was the time when the Bid 12 and Tulane were talking.

please do your research and you will confirm this

on another note , I think the wave wins big on the upset Thursday night
ajcalhoun
Swell

jmjclu wrote:Fred
1) My story is correct.
2) There is nothing else to it, He did plan to coach Tulane , he had a 5yr $10,000,000 contract , and Cowen had given him the concessions he requested.

God Bless Everyone!
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

ajcalhoun wrote:
jmjclu wrote:Fred
1) My story is correct.

I'll give that a big +1.

This detailed account of Rich Rod's hiring tells a very different story. I would be very interested to hear jmjclu's reconciling of the two stories and timelines.

Mods if this needs to be made into a separate topic, please feel free. I am very interested in what happened here, even if recounting and reliving it might be enough to make me cry.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/c ... 52142416/1
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RR is old news it's been discussed in lenght on this Forum just do a search.
http://www.gotula.net/viewtopic.php?f=3 ... +rodriguez
Scott Cowen did not meet all of his demands. He wanted access to a private plane for recruiting purposes. Tulane was not going to provide him with that. He did not want to be tied down by CBT's recruits. He wanted to run the unproductive off. This was denied. There are others just search the RR thread on this board. The only thing that matters is that Tulane FAILED in trying to get him and FAILED in 1998 to keep him.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Fred Dowler
Riptide

It's fine with me, too, if this is a separate thread on its own.

My whole point was, though, that, despite the talk from certain quarters about how "this time it's really going to be different..." once again it was no different. TU has ended up with a coaching regime that either was not a proven (but not washed up) commodity as a head coach or top notch coordinator. Once again someone learning on the job and maybe, probably, in this case even more so than ever.

Now to me, with all due respect to everyone, heck yes, if people had been running around saying that Rich Rodriguez was for certain coming back to TU, obviously with the way it all turned out they had incorrect information.

From my end, what do I find reasonable to believe? That he would use TU's interest as leverage? Sure. That he would try to throw people off from finding out what he really was up to? Sure.

Now, my other question, though.

Was TU really holding forth a top-dollar offer to bring in the best person and not give up on doing that after seeing that Rich Rodriguez was not going to be coming? Were they going to be fully determined to not be bringing in yet another coaching regime just like the one that they eventually bring in?

I just have a hard time believing that the powers-who-are were all that unhappy that once again they were able to go the cheap/"this guy will do as we tell him..." route.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
T1B2TW
High Tide

tpstulane wrote:RR is old news it's been discussed in length on this Forum just do a search.
Scott Cowen did not meet all of his demands. He wanted access to a private plane for recruiting purposes. Tulane was not going to provide him with that. He did not want to be tied down by CBT's recruits. He wanted to run the unproductive off. This was denied. There are others just search the RR thread on this board. The only thing that matters is that Tulane FAILED in trying to get him and FAILED in 1998 to keep him.
tpstulane, I'd like to amend the last 7 words of your post above to read:"...and Scott Cowen failed in 1998 to keep him."

Add that to the myriad of mistakes Tulane has made in the last 64 years (starting with de-emphasis in '49) which has put us in the position we occupy today. A mistake of biblical proportion was made in the first week of December of '98. At that point in time we had positioned ourselves in exactly the right place at exactly the right time to erase the mistakes of the latter 1/2 of the 20th century and become a real player in the world of college football. The only thing wrong with that position was the one who occupied the position at the top of the Tulane tree. :wallbash:
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

T1B2TW wrote:
tpstulane wrote:RR is old news it's been discussed in length on this Forum just do a search.
tpstulane, I'd like to amend the last 7 words of your post above to read:"...and Scott Cowen failed in 1998 to keep him."

Add that to the myriad of mistakes Tulane has made in the last 64 years (starting with de-emphasis in '49) which has put us in the position we occupy today. A mistake of biblical proportion was made in the first week of December of '98. At that point in time we had positioned ourselves in exactly the right place at exactly the right time to erase the mistakes of the latter 1/2 of the 20th century and become a real player in the world of college football. The only thing wrong with that position was the one who occupied the position at the top of the Tulane tree. :wallbash:
Keep in mind that Scott Cowen has publicly stated that both 1) 1998 was a fluke and 2) he will have a positive legacy at Tulane with regards to athletics.
T1B2TW
High Tide

jonathanjoseph wrote:
T1B2TW wrote:

Keep in mind that Scott Cowen has publicly stated that both 1) 1998 was a fluke and 2) he will have a positive legacy at Tulane with regards to athletics.
1) Maybe, but it is in the history books and no one can take it away from us.
2) Cowen is on his own 1 yard line, behind by nine points with one second left on the clock in the 4th quarter. Not gonna happen.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

T1B2TW wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
T1B2TW wrote:

1) Maybe, but it is in the history books and no one can take it away from us.
2) Cowen is on his own 1 yard line, behind by nine points with one second left on the clock in the 4th quarter. Not gonna happen.
I know that and you know that (although I'd argue Cowen is down by 4 or 5 TDs, but I digress).

The problem is that he doesn't know that, Dickson doesn't know that and Tulane's BOA doesn't know that.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:more on coaching search
http://www.gotula.net/viewtopic.php?f=3 ... vate+plane
Interesting reminder.

Obviously, yes, there was much talk about allegedly a decent list, as in much more than one person, of eye-opener names/highly qualified individuals having a strong interest in the position as well as TU being genuinely willing to offer serious big dollars, as in salaries of $1.5 million or higher, to bring any of these people (again with emphasis on the plural aspect).

But was there really some large group of highly qualified/eye-opener name coaching candidates pursuing the position? It sure doesn't seem like it.

Either the people saying that there was were knowingly spreading a falsehood or else they were completely under a very mistaken belief about what was going on, which was my whole point. If what these people were saying was really true then it should never have come to pass that TU would have ended up yet again with some coach seemingly brought in on the cheap and having to be learning on the job.
jmjclu
High Tide

regarding my previous post , I said that nobody I know has any idea of why he decided to go to Ariz
I stand by my post....what I stated was absolutely correct
please do not change my words to me saying that nobody knows what happened
Fred Dowler
Riptide

jmjclu wrote:regarding my previous post , I said that nobody I know has any idea of why he decided to go to Ariz
I stand by my post....what I stated was absolutely correct
please do not change my words to me saying that nobody knows what happened
With all due respect, the words used were "No one I know has any idea of what happened...."

That is not the same thing as "why" but those in fact were the words that you used, and clearly your meaning was that you were shocked that Rich Rodriguez was taking the position at Univ. of Arizona and not the TU position and how that came to be when you were, as you say, hearing information that ran counter that that was about to happen.

And I am not trying to tell you that you didn't hear whatever it was that you say did.

Only that certain people were saying certain things obviously had wrong information.

And I am thinking that it was wrong information, if not an outright lie, that, as some people were saying at the time, there were somehow tons of very well qualified coaches lining up and keenly interested in the TU position. Because if that were true, then how on earth did TU end up with the staff that's there right now, with a head coach who's been a longtime position coach and who's having to be learning as we're going along at this perhaps very critical juncture for the program?
jmjclu
High Tide

thanks Fred,
I will now leave this board because I am interested in Tulane athletics and not people who wish to argue with someone for his choice of words.
I am sure that you are correct , and I am wrong....HAPPY?
bye
wavemania
Surge

Fred, the answer to your question is 2 words -- Scott Cowen
Fred Dowler
Riptide

wavemania wrote:Fred, the answer to your question is 2 words -- Scott Cowen
I realize that.

The beef I have is with people running around, as some were, trying to tell everyone that "hey all of you skeptics this time it's really going to be different and TU is definitely going to be bringing in some bona fide top-notch person whose hiring is going to prove to one and all that TU has really changed its stripes and is now truly serious about winning...."

And they did seem at the time to be stressing that even if possibility no. 1 was going to turn TU down, that were other good ones, too, that they were working on.

Either it was an outright lie or else those saying this believed in what they were saying but still had their eyes closed to what was really going on.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

jmjclu wrote:thanks Fred,
I will now leave this board because I am interested in Tulane athletics and not people who wish to argue with someone for his choice of words.
I am sure that you are correct , and I am wrong....HAPPY?
bye
Don't leave, you bring a needed perspective. I'm just curious to hear more details. The problem is that when it comes to anything related to Cowen/Dickson, one must assume that anything is, at best, a half truth. It's not hard for posters on a social media forum to figure out who's full of $hit (ahem, Green Wave) and who isn't.
Dave breslin
Swell

Are we still hashing RR s turning TU down? Would you work for the dick that dicked you or a boss who is a dick? Plain and simple!
Fred Dowler
Riptide

Dave breslin wrote:Are we still hashing RR s turning TU down? Would you work for the dick that dicked you or a boss who is a dick? Plain and simple!
The issue is not just that. It's the broader issue of certain well-connected types seemingly going all out back when this coach search was going on to assure everyone else that "this time it's really going to be different..." as regards TU ending up with a solid commodity/big splash name head coach, whether it was going to be Rich Rodriguez or someone else (and then look what's actually come to pass with the coaching regime that there is right now). Were they outright lying or did they have their green-colored glasses fully on (preventing them from seeing what was really in fact happening)?
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Dave breslin wrote:Are we still hashing RR s turning TU down? Would you work for the dick that dicked you or a boss who is a dick? Plain and simple!
There are more than a few interesting issues to parse out. I'll tell you what I am very interested in understanding:

By all accounts, RR was at a Tulane football game with a huge smile on his face and giving thumbs up to Tulane fans screaming his name. His former players who knew him personally seemed to think he was a serious candidate.

Later that night, RR was supposedly at the Wilson Center with Cowen/Dickson negotiating and going over things. Did Cowen not concede certain points, as TPS suggests? Did RR take a look at plans for a cheap/small stadium and decide that it was a deal breaker?

There is a lot to learn by understanding what happened. Although I would concede it is similarly likely that RR just played Cowen/Dickson like fools for $hits and giggles. He would be justified in doing so, but I remember that smile on his face at the Superdome and it was the look of a man who had every intention of becoming Tulane's coach.

I'm still heartbroken by the turn of events and would love to why this happened.
TXWave88
Surge

jonathanjoseph wrote:
There are more than a few interesting issues to parse out. I'll tell you what I am very interested in understanding:

By all accounts, RR was at a Tulane football game with a huge smile on his face and giving thumbs up to Tulane fans screaming his name. His former players who knew him personally seemed to think he was a serious candidate.

Later that night, RR was supposedly at the Wilson Center with Cowen/Dickson negotiating and going over things. Did Cowen not concede certain points, as TPS suggests? Did RR take a look at plans for a cheap/small stadium and decide that it was a deal breaker?

There is a lot to learn by understanding what happened. Although I would concede it is similarly likely that RR just played Cowen/Dickson like fools for $hits and giggles. He would be justified in doing so, but I remember that smile on his face at the Superdome and it was the look of a man who had every intention of becoming Tulane's coach.

I'm still heartbroken by the turn of events and would love to why this happened.
I agree with this except for the choice of examples JJ used. But RR was at the game and like he said, that smile, energy and excitement made it seem like we had a real chance if he was serious. It did not seem fake. I actually did not believe in anything until I saw the footage that night. It means nothing, but it would be nice to know what exactly what was discussed, offered, and turned down. Or in the end, know that it is was just to gain leverage for the job he really wanted.

Moving forward and not a knock on our current coach, but would we go after a big fish like that again or were Leach and RR the one time golden tickets we wanted?
GreenLantern
Riptide

I love Tulane and I try to avoid piling on because our athletic shortcomings are well documented. Sometimes, they are a little too well documented.

Having said that, you are what your record says you are. Accept this tenet and you have to acknowledge that administration is either responsible or irresponsible.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

TXWave88 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

I agree with this except for the choice of examples JJ used. But RR was at the game and like he said, that smile, energy and excitement made it seem like we had a real chance if he was serious. It did not seem fake. I actually did not believe in anything until I saw the footage that night. It means nothing, but it would be nice to know what exactly what was discussed, offered, and turned down. Or in the end, know that it is was just to gain leverage for the job he really wanted.

Moving forward and not a knock on our current coach, but would we go after a big fish like that again or were Leach and RR the one time golden tickets we wanted?
That's the question.

Were they really making the no-holds-barred effort at the time to land the Big fish (as opposed to a half-way effort, just so they could have that to talk about and say that they were trying)? Which other Big Fish were there besides the one(s) talked about? Was there really a whole school of Big Fish, as some were describing it, lining up? How could all or any of that been the case given the person that TU eventually did decide on?
Fred Dowler
Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote:

Highly likely in my view, whether or not they had ever gotten to the point of having substantive discussions, that Rich Rodriguez was just using TU's interest in him as leverage just like Harbaugh apparently did in 2007.