Rich Rodriguez

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
Dupergreenie
Surge

posse wrote:I know it was posted during the coaches search that RR had two demands to take the Tulane job, allow 6 JC players in shcool this year, and freedom to recruit under the NCAA standards year in and year out. Supposedly Tulane refused. I have a close friend, who is in the know, who continues to tell me that rumor was true....I remember when this rumor broke on this board, that several people subsequently posted there was no truth to that rumor. Can anyone positively confirm if that was a true or false rumor? If my friend did not have good sources I would not believe it was true based on subsequent postings on this board.....Clarification please.

tulane has a football coach now.... this horse is dead....

ajcalhoun
Swell

Dupergreenie wrote:
posse wrote:

Indeed. He was never coming here, no matter what.
Please stop
Image.
God Bless Everyone!
msdos
Swell

aj calhoun, king of the gifs
Bigschtick
Riptide

And some interesting ones at that!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
Robert1969
Riptide

ajcalhoun wrote:
Dupergreenie wrote:
posse wrote:

Indeed. He was never coming here, no matter what.
Please stop
Image.
At this point it's not just beating a dead horse, but beating a dead horse and then taking a leak all over it when you are done.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Robert1969...as a voice for "pet's rights"... I do not like the beating of a dead animial...besides, I was demonized for posting this tyep of krap on this board..RR iz in Arizona, gawd blezz hiz soul and his wife's allergies...so RR enoy the dry air and the recruiting benefits of being in Tuscon... I am sure the skill positiion people you crave are now crossing the border
Last edited by golfnut69 on Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Bigschtick
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote:Robert1969...as a voice for "pet's rights"... I do not like the beating of a dead animial...besides, I was demonized for posting this tyep of krap on this board..RR iz in Arizona, gawd blezz hiz soul and his wife's allergies...so RR enoy the dry air and the recruiting benefits of being in Tuscon... I am sure the skill positiion people you crave are now crossinbg the border
here here
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

I personally think the validity of this claim is pretty important.

If the claim is accurate, then we know that Tulane Athletics will never be successful under Cowen/Dickson (and so even if CJ is everything we'd hope, he will bump into that glass ceiling at some point) and I'd think that would be sufficient basis for getting Cowen fired as soon as next year.

If the Tulane Model is more important than actual athletic success and the minimum $50M/year that success comes with, we're not far away from having another data point that suggests that Cowen's athletic policy is costing Tulane huge, huge sums of money.

At some point, people just have to admit that the emperor has no clothes. I have little understanding why people in NOLA are so afraid to criticize him but rest assured decisions like that will push Tulane further down the path to irrelevance on and off the field.
sader24
Tsunami

I heard it was true. FWIW.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

amzin...my offensive wuz not worthy under Greg Davis...but 'in genius' under RR.......and duh think..I am way too old to know better !!!!...I taught that shi* in offense in 8th grade !!!!

what a bunch of dumb f**ks !!! at the college level !!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Further, it adds light to the absolute incompetence of Dickson in negotiating this.

Dickson thought he had the leverage to say "no" to RR's requests and yet still held out for 2 weeks with RR as his #1 choice with plenty of signals that they thought they "had him". Seems obvious in retrospect that the only way RR would have accepted is if he had no other offers which wasn't a smart bet.

So depressing.
jko
Trickle

According to Coach Rod, this is false. He was offered everything he demanded. Ultimately, so did Arizona. He took that job instead. If Arizona hadn't offered, he probably would have taken our job.

It is water under the bridge. We have a very promising coach in place now, one who has assembled a pretty impressive staff. And all but 2 of the recruits he landed after being hired attended public school in Louisiana (the kid out of Tampa and the one out of Arizona are the exceptions). All of the La. recruits could have been National Merit Semifinalists for all I know. I am merely pointing out that the typical profile of a "Tulane Model" recruiting class didn't include a majority of signees from La. public schools.

The most likely reason he took Arizona is the same reason Larry Smith left us for Arizona over 30 years ago-- this isn't a new development. Further, Pac 12 schools now make more per year from TV than SEC schools.
jmjclu
High Tide

prior to his hire , Larry Smith publicly stated that he would leave Tulane only if he had a chance to coach a team in the Rose Bowl.
He left here for Arizona , and the Southern Cal , and then Missouri
As far as I am concerned , he stuck to his word when he left here
JerseyWave
Riptide

We all know RR can coach, but I read one article that was very critical of his first recruiting class at Arizona. Another article on CNNsi was about the pressure that RR and Graham at ASU are under to do a better job of keeping Arizona's best players at home.
AugWave
Swell

Wow, it's funny how this thread just popped up. After I got out of class, I was talking with a couple of players that I'm cool with and they told me about that RR situation. I never even heard about that until they said something about it, then I see this... :| Crazy..

Oh well. CJ's the coach now! *goes back to studying for midterms*
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
sader24
Tsunami

I think CJ will do an outstanding job recruiting, I hope once he does that Cowen and Co. dont start screwing with him like they've done to everyone else.
DrBox
Riptide

It is interesting that the two schools ranked last (per 247 recruiting) in the PAC 10 were Arizona and Washington State.
Now that said, PAC 10 recruiting was pretty darn good last year.
jko wrote:
It is water under the bridge. We have a very promising coach in place now, one who has assembled a pretty impressive staff. And all but 2 of the recruits he landed after being hired attended public school in Louisiana (the kid out of Tampa and the one out of Arizona are the exceptions). All of the La. recruits could have been National Merit Semifinalists for all I know. I am merely pointing out that the typical profile of a "Tulane Model" recruiting class didn't include a majority of signees from La. public schools.
True
And nobody knows what the model is or was exactly; and whether TU has tweaked or ended it will never be announced by TU. And it's also true we have an exception process but Toledo didn't like to use it. (yes it's cumbersome, but you have to use the available tools). But some objective evidence (public school recruits) says that we have more leeway.
If CJ can coach, and we don't know that yet, then we're better off with him than RR.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Fred Dowler wrote:
sader24 wrote:My concern is how flat we came out in what was his biggest game here thus far. I also can't figure out how things are getting worse on Special Teams. Montana is going to get hurt behind this line and then we're going to be in the same boat as last year. He's good enough to win 6-8 games against this schedule. For whatever reason this staff can't get this team to play well as a unit at the same time. CJ is clearly learning on the job and it's very frustrating to watch.
It was clearly a big fat lie that certain people were spreading around back in December 2011 that TU was going to go all out to get someone very solid in the position and not be ending up in this very situation.
It actually wasn't a lie. They did try to offer real money to RR. They just don't realize how bad the Tulane brand has become and that NO ONE is willing to work for Cowen/Dickson for any amount of money. Only coaches with no other options, i.e. the current situation.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote:
Fred Dowler wrote:
sader24 wrote:My concern is how flat we came out in what was his biggest game here thus far. I also can't figure out how things are getting worse on Special Teams. Montana is going to get hurt behind this line and then we're going to be in the same boat as last year. He's good enough to win 6-8 games against this schedule. For whatever reason this staff can't get this team to play well as a unit at the same time. CJ is clearly learning on the job and it's very frustrating to watch.
It was clearly a big fat lie that certain people were spreading around back in December 2011 that TU was going to go all out to get someone very solid in the position and not be ending up in this very situation.
It actually wasn't a lie. They did try to offer real money to RR. They just don't realize how bad the Tulane brand has become and that NO ONE is willing to work for Cowen/Dickson for any amount of money. Only coaches with no other options, i.e. the current situation.
But was he the only one that they might have made such a offer to? Did they try to contact and make a good sell to any others at all who might have been that qualified/command that kind of compensation? Were they going to make sure that the whole college football scene was aware that they were offering serious money for the position, i.e. were they really trying to turn over every rock and were they really attracting the genuine interest of multiple highly-qualified people? I suspect that it was mostly, if not all, talk and also that they figured beforehand that Rich Rodriguez was unlikely to say "yes." I just don't buy there was this serious effort to the extent that certain people were describing it.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Fred Dowler wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
Fred Dowler wrote:
But was he the only one that they might have made such a offer to? Did they try to contact and make a good sell to any others at all who might have been that qualified/command that kind of compensation? Were they going to make sure that the whole college football scene was aware that they were offering serious money for the position, i.e. were they really trying to turn over every rock and were they really attracting the genuine interest of multiple highly-qualified people? I suspect that it was mostly, if not all, talk and also that they figured beforehand that Rich Rodriguez was unlikely to say "yes." I just don't buy there was this serious effort to the extent that certain people were describing it.
I was under the impression that Cowen would not consider Mike Leach, but someone else may be able to suggest otherwise. It was a clusterf**k regardless.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Fred Dowler wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
Fred Dowler wrote:
I was under the impression that Cowen would not consider Mike Leach, but someone else may be able to suggest otherwise. It was a clusterf**k regardless.
ajcalhoun
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote:
Fred Dowler wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
Fred Dowler wrote:
I was under the impression that Cowen would not consider Mike Leach, but someone else may be able to suggest otherwise
Cowen was just trying to save face because it was the other way around, Mike Leach would not consider working for him.

Have y'all already forgotten how that search went down? Sheesh, it was less then two years ago!

Some here had delusions that we could get Rich Rod or Mike Leach, but the truth was that neither of those guys felt that their stars had fallen deep enough to even consider us. They were right in that thinking as they both landed Pac 12 jobs. RR was in town for reunion and that was the closest he came to even talking to us.
We had a hard time time getting anyone to even apply for the job. Cowan/Dickson had brought us so far down that interview requests were turned down by Sun Belt coaches. Hell, we were turned down by non-AQ Assistant Coaches!
We got CJ in a marriage of convenience. He was a local guy getting his first shot as a Head Coach. We finally found a guy who was willing to say "Yes."
God Bless Everyone!
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

ajcalhoun wrote: Cowen was just trying to save face because it was the other way around, Mike Leach would not consider working for him.

Have y'all already forgotten how that search went down? Sheesh, it was less then two years ago!

Some here had delusions that we could get Rich Rod or Mike Leach, but the truth was that neither of those guys felt that their stars had fallen deep enough to even consider us. They were right in that thinking as they both landed Pac 12 jobs. RR was in town for reunion and that was the closest he came to even talking to us.
We had a hard time time getting anyone to even apply for the job. Cowan/Dickson had brought us so far down that interview requests were turned down by Sun Belt coaches. Hell, we were turned down by non-AQ Assistant Coaches!
We got CJ in a marriage of convenience. He was a local guy getting his first shot as a Head Coach. We finally found a guy who was willing to say "Yes."
Whoa. I was at least under the impression that RR talks were somewhat serious, even if RR had only used us as negotiating leverage. There were plenty of folks who thought that the RR discussions were real, even if they were more optimistic than they deserved to be.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

ajcalhoun wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
Fred Dowler wrote: It was clearly a big fat lie that certain people were spreading around back in December 2011 that TU was going to go all out to get someone very solid in the position and not be ending up in this very situation.

Thanks for the recap of that whole sequence.

Like Mr. Spock would say, "interesting...."

Also it does sounds like at some peoples' pants were burning up, then, in talking up how tons of really impressive names were strongly interested in the job and so on.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
jmjclu
High Tide

Rich Rod accepted the Tulane job on Sat night. His daughter called some friends and said that they were returning to New Orleans.
On Sunday morning an employee of the athletic dept called my younger son and told him that the Ariz AD was telling people that Rich Rod had taken the Tulane job. My son and this employee had been room mates as undergraduates at the Univ of Ariz.
On Sunday night it was announced that he was going to Ariz.
No one I know has any idea of what happened.
Mike Leech was interviewed on ESPN. I saw the clip. He stated that Scott Cowen was taking Tulane in the right direction and he was interested in the job. For whatever reason Scott Cowen had no interest in interviewing Leech.