Rich Rodriguez

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
whodatwavefan
Ripple

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... iguez.html

With so many college HC vacancies, I wonder how long it will be before CBT bolts for greener pastures. :lol:

TURVS71
Swell

Do we have his cell number?
:lol: :lol:
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
Green Wave
Swell

Wow. I didnt think that would happen. But apparently there was some drama at Ann Arbor according to this story:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/n ... -rodriguez

So there goes 5 million dollars Michigan just blew. 2.5 Mil to buy out Rich from WVA and 2.5 mil to payoff the rest of his contract. Poof!
ROLL WAVE!
RWR
Swell

calling the USM game on CBSSN.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Cowen should be calling him!!!!
RobertM320
Green Wave

RWR wrote:calling the USM game on CBSSN.
Anyone got the phone number for the pressbox at M.M. Roberts Stadium? Get him on the line, NOW!
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
kookingkajun
Low Tide

Folks get it through your thick heads. RR is not coming here. In fact usually once they get in the pbp booth they never come out i.e . Grueden, davie, bellichek and the list goes on and on. I'm getting a paycheck from M and I get a check for doing pbp with NO stress.
DrBox
Riptide

kookingkajun wrote:Folks get it through your thick heads. RR is not coming here. In fact usually once they get in the pbp booth they never come out i.e . Grueden, davie, bellichek and the list goes on and on. I'm getting a paycheck from M and I get a check for doing pbp with NO stress.
He would come here if offered and reasonably paid. Get that through your thick head.
RobertM320
Green Wave

DrBox wrote:
kookingkajun wrote:Folks get it through your thick heads. RR is not coming here. In fact usually once they get in the pbp booth they never come out i.e . Grueden, davie, bellichek and the list goes on and on. I'm getting a paycheck from M and I get a check for doing pbp with NO stress.
He would come here if offered and reasonably paid. Get that through your thick head.
DrBox, I think we should be happy to see guys like kookingkajun, HSV, and VanceGreen. They are "trolls". I take this to mean two things:

1) www.goTULA.NEt is becoming more solid as a forum, since we are now attracting trolls.

2) obviously we're having enough of an effect on someone that people feel the need to F with us.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
JerseyWave
Riptide

RR is not done coaching. He'll be on the sideline next year. Hopefully it will be at Tulane.
kookingkajun
Low Tide

Why would he want to come here? to be embarrased again. If he doesn't get hired by one of the big conferences why would he drop to our level. If the admin really wants him why wait to the end of the season. Once the season is over and other coaches get fired, RR price tag goes higher.
|I'll keep this thread in mind when we hire someone else.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RR has expressed interest. He can't be anymore embarrassed then what happened when he left WV and got canned at Mich. He'd get this thing turned around immediately.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
kookingkajun
Low Tide

yes he was embarrassed at both of those places, but he received a hefty check when he left. What did Tulane give him. as far as me being a troll Mr.Sweeny you're far from it. I worked for tulane during the 70's and was the Drum Major when it was called the T U B. No I didn't go therebut I've been to many a great games at the Sugar Bowl. I been to many baseball games too. I am and always be an LSU fan but will still pull for the wave. In fact while watching the LSU game I have TG in my ear.
RobertM320
Green Wave

kookingkajun wrote:yes he was embarrassed at both of those places, but he received a hefty check when he left. What did Tulane give him. as far as me being a troll Mr.Sweeny you're far from it. I worked for tulane during the 70's and was the Drum Major when it was called the T U B. No I didn't go therebut I've been to many a great games at the Sugar Bowl. I been to many baseball games too. I am and always be an LSU fan but will still pull for the wave. In fact while watching the LSU game I have TG in my ear.
Considering he wasn't the HEAD COACH like he was at UM and WVU, I would assume not a whole lot, if anything. Assistants serve at the whim of the head coach. If a head coach leaves, they're guaranteed nothing.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

kookingkajun wrote:yes he was embarrassed at both of those places, but he received a hefty check when he left. What did Tulane give him. as far as me being a troll Mr.Sweeney you're far from it. I worked for tulane during the 70's and was the Drum Major when it was called the T U B. No I didn't go therebut I've been to many a great games at the Sugar Bowl. I been to many baseball games too. I am and always be an LSU fan but will still pull for the wave. In fact while watching the LSU game I have TG in my ear.
Football coaches are different animals. RR is no different. They know it's a business and the good ones like a challege. RR is still on Mich's payroll so it wouldn't take as much as you think to get him here. Now if Tulane waits and other jobs open up then they will miss out. If I'm AD he's in my office on Monday at 9am after (Leach 8am). ;)
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Wavetime
Swell

I do think RR would come here, and I do think we would pay Jim. I a, just sure that we would give him the facilities and control that he would want. People have said that the Tulane model is changing, however it would have to be gone. I just can not imagine RR having to ask for an exemption. He would want control and if I were Cowen, he would have it.
sader24
Tsunami

If Rodriguez is interested in the job and we don't pursue him we should show up at Cowen residence with pitchforks. One of the reasons he might be interested is because the talent pool down here is perfect for his offense. Lots of combo type QB's down here that run his spread, lots of skill players. He's never been a line it up and shove it down people's throats type coach. He came back here to get his QB for West Virginia and his tailback and if he would've been hired Derrick Joseph would have been a Heisman Candidate and Patrick Ramsey would never have been drafted in the 1st round. I think he knows how easy it could be to win here if the commitment is right from the administration and I think he's got enough money socked away that he can take 1.25 mill instead of the 2.5 he should probably get. I also know for a fact that he loved New Orleans as opposed to Bowden who hated it. The only reason I would be surprised if he was legitimately interested is because of how Cowen did him in 98. He's the type of guy who could come here and win 9-12 games a year and possibly stay for awhile since he's already been to the top and to WVA where he's from. I also think Leach would be a great fit here b/c I'm sure he would be great in New Orleans with all his eccentricities and he just got a sizeable settlement from Tx.Tech. If we aren't beating on both these guys doors first we deserve our fate.
wave to em
Surge

i keep going back & forth between ML and RR.....i think im going to stick with RR.
i made this video because i had some extra time on my hands....enjoy!!!

TULANE WANTS RICH ROD
CuJo.
#SickEmWave
waverider
Ripple

The video is great, but the description is a bit misleading...I was expecting to see clips from '97 & '98...
sader24
Tsunami

We all know Rich Rod can coach, that's a given. I think there are other factors that have to be considered though and the main one is does he have the hunger and energy to do it. If he's got the energy and hunger then I believe he's the best choice. However, we aren't going to be in those interviews, one thing is for sure, we don't want to have another coach that comes here and mails it in. Obviously Rich Rod is a way better coach than Toledo ever was, but I've seen alot of great coaches get burnt out. If there's a young energetic coordinator from an SEC school that can coach and is dying to make a name for himself just like Bowden and Rodriguez and Mack Brown that;s certainly something to look at. Personally, I won't be disappointed if it isn't a name guy, I just want to know that they didn't go cheap, they conducted a legitimate interview process, and they give whomever they hire the money to go find good coordinators and a recruiter. It seemed to me that the Michigan situation took a huge toll on Rodriguez and as an AD you have to see if he's A) Pissed off about it and wants to go out there and prove how good he is or B) Still reeling from it and burnt out from the situation and maybe needs another year or two to regain the hunger to go out there and do it again. Between recruiting, promoting your program, organizing your staff and practices, traveling, and actually coaching your team a Division 1 Head Coaching Job is extremely taxing when you take over a Tulane type program that needs an extremely involved and active head coach. You have to make sure a guy is up for it at that particular time in his life. This isn't LSU, you can't just be a public face and an organizer and let your Coordinators and Assistants do all the coaching. Whoever comes here has to be heavily involved in all aspects and that takes a whole lot of energy.
JTLiuzza
Swell

Rich is just 48 so he has a lot of juice left. I can't imagine for a second he'd be a cruise control coach like Toledo. I have no doubt he'll coach somewhere and what I worry about is that the only way Tulane can convince him to come here is to not only pay him the money but to let him know that he'll be allowed to recruit and that the "wins and losses don't matter" philosophy has been once and for all sh!tcanned.

Otherwise he can just sit back and wait for the right offer. He'll get it. If not from us, from somebody else. We know he's not hurting for money but I'd bet he's itching to get back in the game.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
RWR
Swell

Definitely agree w/bag. He's only 48 and has a driven personality. Hopefully he'll be our coach for the next 20 years. We want Rich Rod !
JerseyWave
Riptide

It's difficult to put together a highlight reel when your team is having a miserable season. There must be some footage of RR from 97-98.

Either way, RR is the best qualified candidate for the Tulane job. Tulane was 19-4 when he was here and he was the architect of Tulane's explosive offense. He turned Shaun King's career around. The guy can flat out coach and develop talent. No other candidate can claim to already had success at Tulane except Tommy Boy, and I highly doubt there is interest from either side for him. His coaching days are finished!

As for Leach, I was thinking about recruiting. This guy will have to sit in the living room of every parent and explain the whole Adam James mess to them. It could hurt his ability to sell his program. RR does not bring that baggage. He broke the practice restriction rule at Michigan. Not a big deal at all. He was seeking a competitive advantage. Everyone does it but he got caught.
msdos
Swell

Rich Rod worries me. Will he be just a better Toledo? He's made it to the big show, and he's failed there.

He is a much better coach than Toledo will ever be, and we'll make bowl games, but I do worry that he may have fizzled.

Leach, I worry about for obvious reasons.

BTW, I'm on the Hudspeth train-though I understand Hudspeth probably doesn't help our Big 12 chances.
Mike V
Ripple

RR was not given the time at Michigan. He came into a three yards and a cloud of dust culture that had existed for 100 years and needed four years at least to convert to the "basketball on grass" system. That's tough, especially when you don't have access to the speed we have down South.

RR is tough and demanding. Name a successful coach who isn't. He would be a great choice.