Rich Rodriguez

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
OUG
Riptide

JerseyWave wrote:What is the search firm doing? The names we are hearing are less than inspiring..MAC coaches like Haywood, Saints assistants, Lionel Washington, OK St coordinator, just very disappointing. If Tulane is willing to pay $2 million per year with good money to hire a staff, recruiting facilities then we better see something better than this on the candidate list! We don't nned to pay our third, fourth, and fifth choices $2 million per year. Don't pay that kind of money to an inexperienced Head Coach.
You're missing something though... The universe of coaches who are 1) worth two million a year and 2) make a big splash and 3) would consider Tulane (non-BCS, small school, poor training facilities at the moment) consists of only two names: Leach and Rodriguez.

We're not going to pay $2 million a year to anyone (other than maybe Leach, and I'm not convinced of that). But the thing is, there's else nobody out there worth that kind of money that is going to consider us. Its not like a school like Tulane can go out there and wave a check in the air and have Kevin Sumlin, Larry Fedora, Malzahn, etc jump at the opportunity to coach at Tulane.

There's a pecking order, and its not entirely financial. Once you're over a certain financial threshold, its about national stature and the BCS. That's why we lost Rich Rod.

Its all disappointing after RR and ML. But that's not because the search firm sucks or whatever. It's just because the market sucks for a school in Tulane's position.

At some point, we're going to have to get over the "splash" issue and realize that while it would be great, there's more to a job than the announcement press conference. Haywood, Diaz, and Monken can coach. They are lightyears better than Toledo. If we equip them with the right staff and resources, they can excel. We passed on Mike London 5 years ago. Look what he's done at UVA. Would he have been a splash? No. After the first year, does that even matter?

JerseyWave
Riptide

Agreed, we hire the coach who will win and give him all the tools to do so. BUT, we don't wait five years to see results! And we don't give contract extensions until we goto the post season. There has to be steady improvement in the won loss record from year to year to year.
DrBox
Riptide

New Jersey's point is a good one. What interesting name has the search firm turned up for us?
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

if ya need a search firm for the Tulane job...goes to show how dumb, or lazy RD really is..on a side note...I have a friend who is a friend of a freind who has a friend that is a friend of someone that washed Mike Leach's car...he has told me, that they have told him, that Leach has not been offered the job
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Show Me
Tsunami

Guess what, one thing money can't buy is TRUST.
SC can't and will never be trusted in the athletic business.

He pulled the plug on RR (1998)
He tried to pull the plug on the entire program (2003)
He neglected the program for over a decade (1998-2011)
He is now trying to buy his way out, but guess what he can't (2011-????)
It's about results and not moral victories of "coming close"

SHOW ME
My boss tells me coming close is what losers say.
TURVS71
Swell

Show Me wrote:Guess what, one thing money can't buy is TRUST.
SC can't and will never be trusted in the athletic business.

He pulled the plug on RR (1998)
He tried to pull the plug on the entire program (2003)
He neglected the program for over a decade (1998-2011)
He is now trying to buy his way out, but guess what he can't (2011-????)
It's about results and not moral victories of "coming close"

SHOW ME
My boss tells me coming close is what losers say.

+1

I truly believe that this situation shows that BOTH have a credibility issue. The "highly recognizable" candidates have vanished, IF they were even there to begin with......Wouldn't a NORMAL person have IMMEDIATELY offered the job to Leach? If we did and he is waiting, then he is NOT going to take the job. Now we are left with MAC and obscure assistant coaches.

Cowen and Dickson's lack of care and moving forward of the athletic program is the reason we are where we are today!.

Whomever we hire now (with the exception of Leach) will have to try and win over the fans. Not really the position we wanted to be in nor OR the position we can AFFORD to be in. Very disappointing.

We were fed a line and MOST of us bit down on the hook...........

The distrust just keeps getting perpetuated.......
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
sader24
Tsunami

I think its safe to say their reputation in coaching circles is very bad. Coaches talk and its well know that Cowen has reneged on promises before and worked underhandedly to undermine athletics in years past.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

since 1960....Tulane has had 13 head coachs....that Lighthouse of success, Arizona...11
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
fracas
Ripple

Arizona: We are told Rich Rod will receive $1.45 million in year 1, $1.5 million in year 2, $1.6 in year 3, $1.7 in year 4 and $1.8 in year 5 of his agreement.
from footballscoop.com
RobertM320
Green Wave

ExileWave wrote:From ScottS on the other board:
To say that I am dissapointed that we were unable to land RR would be the understatement of the year. We made our run, made our offer, and were unsuccessful. Time to move on. The past three days have been a roller coaster ride that i dont care to experience again.

And to say that either SC or RD is against the hiring of ML is just plain wrong and not factual. 2 face-to-face meetings prove otherwise. But does ML want to come here? Or is he waiting for better opportunities to open up and wont commit to us (a la RR)? We'll know soon enough.

Personally, none of the 2nd tier candidates will be the splash hire that we all wanted and expected. But, you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make them drink. But dont think that some of these 2nd tier candidates are not good coaches and recruiters. I just dont know enough about any of them to make an educated guess as to who would make the best head coach. I just hope that whoever we hire can change the mindset and culture of losing on this team/program, demand excellence and perfection from the players and get rid of the cancers that dont buy into his system. This team lacks discipline and needs a coach that will get in their faces and will not tolerate mistakes, both physical and mental.

He sounds as betrayed and confused as the rest of us- and he is on the inside. He is right on in his last paragraph. His family has done great things for Tulane, and I thank them.

PROVE IT! Offer him today! If you don't and say you do, I'd bet Leach would call Tulane out on it. Then, we'd be really screwed finding a coach.
But does ML want to come here?
FIND OUT! Offer him today!

Then, at least you prove to us you gave it your best shot.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
jimcorbett
Ripple

Judging from what s slatten just posted on the other board about all the "pretty girls" leaving us at the altar ... Sounds like ML is outta thee picture as well.
JTLiuzza
Swell

No surprise if true. You've got an untrustworthy university president who screwed Rodriguez, was busted trying to sneak Tulane football out of D1, and who has promised coaches things in order to get them on board only to renege once he had them here. Then you've got an AD who extends crappy coaches, is on record saying "wins and losses don't matter" and "we are what we are," and who also publicly exhibits disdain for the few fans that are left.

When you dig a hole that deep for yourself, sometimes just flashing some money around and insisting that, "no, no we're REALLY serious this time," doesn't cut it. As I've always said about Cowen, watch what he does not what he says. People have done exactly that.

Is our conference affiliation part of the problem? I can't see how it wouldn't be. But you have Cowen and Dickson to blame for that as well.

Hopefully we get someone in here who can win quickly so we can begin to wipe the Cowen stench off of this program. It won't take long but it needs to start now.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
Show Me
Tsunami

1ndabag wrote:No surprise if true. You've got an untrustworthy university president who screwed Rodriguez, was busted trying to sneak Tulane football out of D1, and who has promised coaches things in order to get them on board only to renege once he had them here. Then you've got an AD who extends crappy coaches, is on record saying "wins and losses don't matter" and "we are what we are," and who also publicly exhibits disdain for the few fans that are left.

When you dig a hole that deep for yourself, sometimes just flashing some money around and insisting that, "no, no we're REALLY serious this time," doesn't cut it. As I've always said about Cowen, watch what he does not what he says. People have done exactly that.

Is our conference affiliation part of the problem? I can't see how it wouldn't be. But you have Cowen and Dickson to blame for that as well.

Hopefully we get someone in here who can win quickly so we can begin to wipe the Cowen stench off of this program. It won't take long but it needs to start now.
+1
HoustonWave
Tsunami

You all are right. Cowen is a pariah in the intercollegiate athletic world. He's a pariah and Tulane has become a national joke. That's a tall order to overcome. Maybe this will help Cowen and the BOA understand just how isolated they have become from the rest of the world, including the Tulane fan base. In addition to the numerous specific Cowen actions that gives the world a good reason not to trust him, his Tulane Model is a condescending insult to anyone connected with intercollegiate athletics. I suspect among the coaching fraternity anyone taking the Tulane job is viewed as a desperate sellout. Coaches wide and far must laught at the Tulane Model, and the embiciles that maintain it.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Fred Dowler
Riptide

1ndabag wrote:No surprise if true. You've got an untrustworthy university president who screwed Rodriguez, was busted trying to sneak Tulane football out of D1, and who has promised coaches things in order to get them on board only to renege once he had them here. Then you've got an AD who extends crappy coaches, is on record saying "wins and losses don't matter" and "we are what we are," and who also publicly exhibits disdain for the few fans that are left.

Probably all true about Cowen and also about the conference affiliation.

No matter what some people in certain quarters seem to be wont to insist about "this time we've really changed" just flashing money around is just not enough.

What happened in 2003 was a breach of trust and especially with the way they handled it and once they did that the die is cast for good.

And then, also, if Rich Rodriguez had gone so far as to feel like he couldn't trust the leadership at WVU, his own home state university, then how on earth could he have ever felt that he could trust the Tulane leadership?

Tulane is going to have to get someone from the ranks of the MAC or Sun Belt or Div. 1 FCS.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
JTLiuzza
Swell

HoustonWave wrote:his [Cowen's] Tulane Model is a condescending insult to anyone connected with intercollegiate athletics.
That's about as accurate and succinct a description of Tulane's misguided and elitist approach to athletics that I've read.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
wave to em
Surge

There are so many stories nationalty about RR going to zona. that is the kind of pub tulane needs with this hire. you didn't see a million stories on Bob Davie when he signed with New Mexico. that is why we NEED MIKE LEACH. he is the ONLY guy tht can get us that kind of press if not more. please do the right thing SC and RD and get MIKE LEACH to Tulane!
CuJo.
#SickEmWave
HSV
High Tide

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... a-wildcats

A few interesting things from this article and others I have read

He never has been on the campus, city etc... and took the job sight unseen. ( saw pictures of future upgrades)

Agreed to the job on Saturday

Says this will be his last head coaching job

Also interesting is the lack of love from many fans posting on boards who wanted someone else or are leary of his background. Good luck....not sure I would announce this will be my last job at that age. He apparently was very honest when he said this to the press last week.
tnelly15
Riptide

HSV wrote:http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... a-wildcats

I bet he thought the same thing going to Michigan. I think he'll be much more successful at Arizona though, but not quite as successful as he was at West Virginia.
RobertM320
Green Wave

jimcorbett wrote:Judging from what s slatten just posted on the other board about all the "pretty girls" leaving us at the altar ... Sounds like ML is outta thee picture as well.
I don't think ML even arrived at the church.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
OGSB
Swell

HSV wrote:
It will be interesting to see. I have a rule about hiring a coach who was last fired for on the field performance. I was ignoring that rule for RR but if hiring a coach is always a gamble then hiring a fired coach rasies the stakes.

Leach of course wasn't fired for on the field performance. ;)
Livin' rent free
CoachBrockhoff
High Tide

The radio today reported that Arizona gave RR a 5 year deal for $9 million.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

HSV wrote:http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... a-wildcats

A few interesting things from this article and others I have read

He never has been on the campus, city etc... and took the job sight unseen. ( saw pictures of future upgrades)

Agreed to the job on Saturday

Also interesting is the lack of love from many fans posting on boards who wanted someone else or are leary of his background. Good luck....not sure I would announce this will be my last job at that age. He apparently was very honest when he said this to the press last week.
Apparently the Zona AD first met with RR on Saturday, and bagged him with some pictures. The fact that RR opted for a sight unseen job, just means that he really didn't have his heart into coming to Tulane. It looks like the Zona fan base is at best split on the RR signing. I think RR is going to have a pretty tough time out there. He'll probably be back on the street in about 4 years--maybe then we can have a rubber match between SC and RR.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

He's the deal RR took: (less money then we offered)
$1.45 million (year 1), $1.5 million (year 2), $1.6 million (year 3), $1.7 million (year 4), and $1.8 million (year 5). Additionally, Rodriguez will also earn $300,000 annually from Nike and IMG. Bonuses include $150,000 (BCS title), $100,000 (playing in the BCS title game), $75,000 (PAC-12 South champs), $75,000 (PAC-12 overall champs), $75,000 (non-BCS bowl game).
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
posse
High Tide

I know it was posted during the coaches search that RR had two demands to take the Tulane job, allow 6 JC players in shcool this year, and freedom to recruit under the NCAA standards year in and year out. Supposedly Tulane refused. I have a close friend, who is in the know, who continues to tell me that rumor was true....I remember when this rumor broke on this board, that several people subsequently posted there was no truth to that rumor. Can anyone positively confirm if that was a true or false rumor? If my friend did not have good sources I would not believe it was true based on subsequent postings on this board.....Clarification please.