Tulane Necktie Question

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
green4life
Low Tide

Since I'm a "Man of Tulane", I thought I'd ask a nagging question about an old neck tie I got from Dad , probably late 70s early 80s. I'd be happy to email a jpg to post. This time has 1" diagonal Olive and Sky blue stripes, and the blue stripes have a repeating shield, which has 3 little castles, and crescent moon/ stars.

Question is where does that little shield come from in Tulane Heraldry and lore?

Thanks

Fan since 1965 and was at the 14-0 Victory over LSU. It can be done.
ajcalhoun
Swell

From http://www.ohr.tulane.edu/about/traditions.cfm

TULANE UNIVERSITY SEAL
The imagery of the Tulane seal symbolizes the university’s founder, Paul Tulane, the city of New Orleans and the state of Louisiana. Central to the seal is a heraldic shield. Paul Tulane is represented in two quarters of the shield with identical imagery — three silver towers on a black field — from the coat of arms of the city of Tours, France, his ancestral home. The other two quarters of the shield also depict identical images — a silver crescent flanked by gold stars on a red field — to signify the coat of arms of New Orleans’ founder, Bienville. These images represent the city, as does Bienville’s twisted cloak of silver and red, illustrated beneath the pelican’s nest. Tulane University’s historic and traditional colors, olive green and blue, are on the outer lozenge of the shield. The mother pelican in her nest represents Louisiana. Drawn from the state seal and based on an ancient legend, the “pelican in her piety” brings her young back to life by shedding her own blood on them. This symbol of self-sacrifice is explained in the motto, Non sibi, sed suis: “Not for one’s self, but for one’s own.” The motto is bisected by 1834, the founding date of the Medical College of Louisiana, forerunner of Tulane University. The Tulane University seal is only used on formal occasions. It is emblazoned on the university flag and displayed on the commencement stage. Its use is otherwise reserved for diplomas, official academic transcripts and Board of Tulane communications.
God Bless Everyone!
HoustonWave
Tsunami

green4life wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 2:38 pm Since I'm a "Man of Tulane", I thought I'd ask a nagging question about an old neck tie I got from Dad , probably late 70s early 80s. I'd be happy to email a jpg to post. This time has 1" diagonal Olive and Sky blue stripes, and the blue stripes have a repeating shield, which has 3 little castles, and crescent moon/ stars.

Question is where does that little shield come from in Tulane Heraldry and lore?

Thanks
The three silver castles on a black background represent Tours, France--the ancestral home of Paul Tulane. The silver crescent and gold stars on red background are from the coat of arms of Bienville, the founder of New Orleans.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana