Billy Kennedy

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... basketball
"It's not what we thought it was going to be like," Kennedy said of the state of the program he inherited. "There's nothing we can do about it other than catch up in recruiting. That's what we're doing right now.

"I've been getting out to high school games. People need to see me. They need to know that I'm good and that I'm going to be here a long time."

Kennedy doesn't take any medication for Parkinson's -- at least not yet -- and his doctors have told him he may be able to coach 15 or 20 more years. There are times when a sharp pain in his shoulder or a tremor in his hand reminds him of his condition, but for the most part, Kennedy's life isn't much different than it was prior to his diagnosis. He jogs, lifts weights and, most importantly, gets eight hours of sleep each night.

"The hardest part about the disease is that there's no science to it," Kennedy said. "It affects everyone differently. In 20 years I could be doing just as well as I am now. Or in 10 years, I could be on strong medication to help me maintain balance.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Now available!!!!
Would come cheap! Texas A&M paying him two more years.
https://www.sbnation.com/college-basket ... nedy-fired
Tulane Class of 1981
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Sure I’ll take him, Andy Kennedy or Steve Forbes.
Citypark
Ripple

Billy Kennedy is a super recruiter and a great on the floor coach. He had incredible success at SLU, Murray State University, and two Sweet Sixteen appearances at Texas A&M. He is a local guy whose family still resides in Metairie. Despite his illness, he is years from having to take any medication.

Kennedy would be the most successful and respected hoops coach ever hired to coach the Green Wave!!! He is also one of the finest people one would ever meet.

Mr. Dannen, DON'T miss this golden opportunity to rejuvenate the basketball program. With two years left on his A&M contract, he is affordable!!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Citypark wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:41 pm Billy Kennedy is a super recruiter and a great on the floor coach. He had incredible success at SLU, Murray State University, and two Sweet Sixteen appearances at Texas A&M. He is a local guy whose family still resides in Metairie. Despite his illness, he is years from having to take any medication.

Kennedy would be the most successful and respected hoops coach ever hired to coach the Green Wave!!! He is also one of the finest people one would ever meet.

Mr. Dannen, DON'T miss this golden opportunity to rejuvenate the basketball program. With two years left on his A&M contract, he is affordable!!
Yes sir! Billy won’t be available at the end of next season. Great opportunity to move on him after we lose our 21st straight on Thursday.
Tulane Class of 1981
Pepper
Swell

I know Billy from my days at HC & Delgado. He's a first class guy & been a winner at every place he has coached. He would be a tremendous upgrade.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Tulane connection ?

Has he left aTm ? Has he been fired ?
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Pepper
Swell

nawlinspete wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:34 am Tulane connection ?

Has he left aTm ? Has he been fired ?
he was a Tulane Asst from 89-90.
anEngineer
Riptide

No coach is so loved as the one who is coaching somewhere else.
Show Me
Tsunami

anEngineer wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:46 am No coach is so loved as the one who is coaching somewhere else.
Yep. I love to see Dunleavy somewhere else!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Billy was offered the job during the search that got us Ed Conroy. Tulane offered Billy $250K less than he was making at Murray State. He of course declined. So they went with Ed.
Shortly after Texas A&M gave him over $2 million to coach.
Tulane Class of 1981
Pepper
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:40 pm Billy was offered the job during the search that got us Ed Conroy. Tulane offered Billy $250K less than he was making at Murray State. He of course declined. So they went with Ed.
Of course not soon after Texas A&M gave him over $2 million to coach.
Do you think what TAM will owe him and what we would offer to pay him, he would take the job?
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:40 pm Billy was offered the job during the search that got us Ed Conroy. Tulane offered Billy $250K less than he was making at Murray State. He of course declined. So they went with Ed.
He was making around $250k at Murray State.

TU Bball is a death trap.
Pepper
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:23 pm
He was making around $250k at Murray State.

TU Bball is a death trap.
Damm, I hate to say this but Murray St has had a better basketball program than Tulane since the Perry Clark days ended.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Pepper wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:12 pm
Do you think what TAM will owe him and what we would offer to pay him, he would take the job?
Yep
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:32 pm
Pepper wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:12 pm
Yep
I don't know Kennedy, you locals know him much better than I. But I would think we'd have to pay him Dunleavy type money at a minimum. And hope he accepts less than what he was making at Tx A&M because he banked his buyout there. That would mean we'd have to buyout Dunleavy, or come to an agreement AND pay Kennedy what he expects.

All of this is contingent upon 1. TD going against his vote of confidence a month or so ago and 2. A&M firing Kennedy and 3. Kennedy willing to step right into his next job in New Orleans and not deciding to take a year away from the game with $$ in the bank.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
nawlinspete
Riptide

Given Mr Kennedy's medical condition he is in no position to take a salary cut . The buyout from aTm should be banked until he is no longer able to work , which could be 20 years or two years A Tulane low ball offer again will be blown off again as it should be , especially in Mr Kennedy's case .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I see your point, Pete. But do we go up; another $ million from the highest paid in Tulane Basketball history to get him? Financial considerations do mean more at Tulane than at a P5. I wouldn't mind a Cordaro and let him use his recruiting ties and coaching skills to build upon.

We all want a basketball program that is year in and year out competing for an NCAA bid and every so often makes it to the second weekend. Where we go from there is years away, but we must get to that point quickly, and MD has shown he cannot get us close to there.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

This isn't the time to be concerned about not paying for a proven winner who has ties here. He's already been low balled by Tulane once. We have a new administration so hopefully he would be open to them but if they tried the low ball tactic again I'm sure he'd lose interest ASAP.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:51 pm This isn't the time to be concerned about not paying for a proven winner who has ties here. He's already been low balled by Tulane once. We have a new administration so hopefully he would be open to them but if they tried the low ball tactic again I'm sure he'd lose interest ASAP.
The reason most often cited for Dannen not firing Dunleavy is that we don't have the money to buy out the contract. You yourself I believe were the first to post that claim. So now you want to fire him and hire a coach at a million dollars a year MORE than Dunleavy makes. Where's the money coming for those two transactions?

I don't disagree,that we shouldn't low ball Kennedy, if he's truly the man we want. But the question remains, where's the money coming from since we supposedly don't have the money for Dunleavy's buy-out?.

I think we stand a better chance of firing him and hiring an up and coming coach at less than $2.5 million/year.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I was the first to point out that money was the real reason for TD's lie filled statement of support for MD. That is on TD to figure out where the money will come from. He should be burning up the phone trying to get help raising the buyout money. If he does you go with the proven winner over bringing in someone who hasn't done it at this level.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

For many reasons, not the least of which is salary, it's not happening.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Here's a local that may have an interest
http://blog.nola.com/eastjefferson/2017 ... nning.html
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:55 am For many reasons, not the least of which is salary, it's not happening.
What we are discussing here is what should happen.. otherwise we’d have to stop discussing it like gb wants.
Last edited by winwave on Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.