Page 3 of 4

Re: David Pierce

Posted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:24 am
by Profoundwizard
winwave wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 6:53 am
Not even close. They were everyday payers at critical positions. The eye test has worked for a long time.
Pitcher is the most critical position on the field. Emerson Gibbs pitched nearly 20% of all the innings pitched for Tulane in 2016.
Corey Kluber was the second most valuable player in the MLB last year while only playing ~13% of his teams innings. Max Scherzer was 7th. A good pitcher can definitely be more valuable than a good everyday player because the pitcher has the biggest opportunity to impact the game.
The eye test is dog sh*t. That’s why there are analytics and saber metrics used in baseball..

Re: David Pierce

Posted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:29 am
by winwave
First you say that there are no statistics to be able to measure their impact but then try to say the stats say otherwise. It is beyond foolish to not acknowledge their significant contributions to the team. Anyone that didn’t see the significant impact they had and that losing them was going to be a great detriment to last years team has no clue. None at all.

Re: David Pierce

Posted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:01 am
by Profoundwizard
winwave wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 9:29 am
First you say that there are no statistics to be able to measure their impact but then try to say the stats say otherwise. It is beyond foolish to not acknowledge their significant contributions to the team. Anyone that didn’t see the significant impact they had and that losing them was going to be a great detriment to last years team has no clue. None at all.
Huh? I’m not saying that stats say otherwise. All I said was that the stats we do have don’t show them to be much more productive than some of the guys the other guys on the team. I also said that if there were a WAR type statistic for college baseball I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Gibbs and/or Massey were considered the most valuable player.

Nobody ever said that losing them wasn’t a detriment. You’re making things up. What everyone is saying is that losing them shouldn’t cause you to go from 41 wins to 27.

Re: David Pierce

Posted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:59 am
by winwave
I have said all along that it shouldn't have caused that much damage but it clearly dropped that group from being Regional worthy.

Re: David Pierce

Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:46 pm
by tpstulane
Congrats to coach Pierce in winning a Regional Championship in only his 2nd year at Texas. The last time Texas won a Regional was in 13 years ago.

Re: David Pierce

Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:50 pm
by ajcalhoun
tpstulane wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:46 pm
The last time Texas won a Regional was in 13 years ago.
How'd they get to Omaha in '09, '11, and '14 wthout winning a Regional?

Re: David Pierce

Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:02 pm
by tpstulane
ajcalhoun wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:50 pm
tpstulane wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:46 pm
The last time Texas won a Regional was in 13 years ago.
How'd they get to Omaha in '09, '11, and '14 wthout winning a Regional?
Lol. That’s what I get for not checking. I left out “Super in Oxford” part. :mrgreen:
13 years ago (2005) they had to travel to Oxford for the Super. And they won it. And of course won it all that year when we were #1 seed. Thanks for catching that! Now with Ole Miss losing to Tenn Tech just now they must win later today against Tenn Tech to host. Otherwise Texas will host.

Re: David Pierce

Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:19 am
by tpstulane
Roger Clemens talks to the team:

Re: David Pierce

Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:10 am
by DfromCT
tpstulane wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:19 am
Roger Clemens talks to the team:
https://twitter.com/texasbaseball/statu ... 58880?s=21
I like how he talks about "controlled emotion". That's a stark contrast to the 'roid rage he displayed in the 2000 World Series and other times in his career.

Pierce has done a great job at Texas, and proven that coaching makes a difference. Clemens, on the other hand, will always be tarnished by the steriod use the last 10 or 11 seasons of what would have been remembered as a great career. Much like Barry Bonds, Rocket Roger's skills were starting to deteriorate and got a HUGE boost by the juice.

Re: David Pierce

Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:46 pm
by tpstulane
Tenn Tech gets game one 5-4. Clemens homers again but not enough.

Re: David Pierce

Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:59 pm
by ajcalhoun
Nothing against David Pierce but I'm rooting for Tennessee Tech (or the likes of them) all day, everyday, against the University of Texas (or the likes of them.)

Re: David Pierce

Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:19 pm
by golfnut69
tpstulane wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:46 pm
Tenn Tech gets game one 5-4. Clemens homers again but not enough.
so much for "controlled emotion"...go Tn Tech be the next Coastal Carolina

Re: David Pierce

Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:52 pm
by Houma de Wave
ajcalhoun wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:59 pm
Nothing against David Pierce but I'm rooting for Tennessee Tech (or the likes of them) all day, everyday, against the University of Texas (or the likes of them.)
Ditto. Beat the Big Money Schools!

Re: David Pierce

Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:57 pm
by tpstulane
Texas gets game two 4-2. Clemens homers again. Winner on Monday goes to Omaha.

Re: David Pierce

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:22 pm
by tpstulane
Texas gets game three 5-2. Clemens homers again. Pierce gets UT to Omaha in YEAR 2.
Wow. Congrats to all his staff that coached here as well as Zach Zubia.

Re: David Pierce

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:00 pm
by DfromCT
Congrats to the 'Horns and Coach Pierce and staff. He's obviously one hell of a coach.

Re: David Pierce

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:51 pm
by Wave755
Yep, Dave Pierce, about UT’s 13th choice to coach its baseball team after only his second year as HC punches his ticket to the CWS.

Pierce is a winner.

Re: David Pierce

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:17 pm
by ajcalhoun
Wave755 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:51 pm
after only his second year as HC punches his ticket to the CWS.
Pierce is a winner.
Hey, I like David Pierce and I admit he is a winner but let's not act like getting UT to Omaha is a big deal.

This will be their fourth CWS in ten years and twenty-sixth overall (more than any other school.)

Their "drought" was a massive THREE seasons since their last appearance.

In fact, the last coach to NOT bring them to the CWS retired seven years before the CWS began.

It's like congratulating a rich dude for having a hot girlfriend.

Re: David Pierce

Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:42 am
by DfromCT
ajcalhoun wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:17 pm
Wave755 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:51 pm
after only his second year as HC punches his ticket to the CWS.
Pierce is a winner.
Hey, I like David Pierce and I admit he is a winner but let's not act like getting UT to Omaha is a big deal.

This will be their fourth CWS in ten years and twenty-sixth overall (more than any other school.)

Their "drought" was a massive THREE seasons since their last appearance.

In fact, the last coach to NOT bring them to the CWS retired seven years before the CWS began.

It's like congratulating a rich dude for having a hot girlfriend.
Yes, he brought them to the CWS, where they tend to land regularly. But he also did so two seasons after a legendary coach couldn't bring them to the post season. That's exactly why David Pierce took the UT job and left a very good job at Tulane. The UT job is one of the best, if not the best in the country for college baseball.

Re: David Pierce

Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:49 am
by Wave755
ajcalhoun wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:17 pm
Wave755 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:51 pm
after only his second year as HC punches his ticket to the CWS.
Pierce is a winner.
Hey, I like David Pierce and I admit he is a winner but let's not act like getting UT to Omaha is a big deal.

This will be their fourth CWS in ten years and twenty-sixth overall (more than any other school.)

Their "drought" was a massive THREE seasons since their last appearance.

In fact, the last coach to NOT bring them to the CWS retired seven years before the CWS began.

It's like congratulating a rich dude for having a hot girlfriend.
Pierce wins wherever he goes, period.

Re: David Pierce

Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:14 am
by ajcalhoun
Wave755 wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:49 am
Pierce wins wherever he goes, period.
No argument here. :cheers:

Re: David Pierce

Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:13 am
by tpstulane
Pierce was also a big part in Rice’s success during his nine years under Wayne Graham. He was a great manager of pitchers. I believe that was the biggest drop off we suffered when he went to Texas. Our pitching coach didn’t have a feel for the staff. Pierce has been perfect at making post season as a HC. Never missed one Regional since becoming a HC (3 at SHS, 2 at Tulane, and now 2 at Texas). People that criticize him for not recruiting here don’t know the real story. He had all his scholarship money tied up by that huge class Jake signed that was ranked. (Rogers, Alemais, Merrill etc) not until they got drafted or graduated did money become available. Once that money was freed up TJ was able to sign big numbers in his recent classes. He overachieved at Texas this year and was named Big 12 coach of the year for that accomplishment. Remember he won the AAC conference title at Tulane in his second year and he did the same in the Big 12 in year 2. That’s a huge accomplishment even at a school like Texas.

Re: David Pierce

Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:40 pm
by DfromCT
It is no coincidence that the only Tulane NCAA Tournament appearances in the last 8-10 years were by teams coached by David Pierce. DId he do it with other coaches players? Absolutely, but he DID IT!

Re: David Pierce

Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:06 am
by winwave
Everyone on this site should know about the issue with the big classes eating up money . I posted several times over the years that we had got in a rut of having to sign big classes every 4 years b/c those classes didn't have enough good players in them to move on after 3years. However that wasn't what was said about our recruiting problems when Allen left. It was just about how hard it is to recruit at Tulane.

As for DP he is a good coach. All agree on that. However he didn't recruit well here and he and his staff just threw there hands up on the difficulties of it. The question is would he have made a Regional with what he left behind. People can scream all they want that we would have but we'll never know.

Re: David Pierce

Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:56 am
by DfromCT
winwave wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:06 am
Everyone on this site should know about the issue with the big classes eating up money . I posted several times over the years that we had got in a rut of having to sign big classes every 4 years b/c those classes didn't have enough good players in them to move on after 3years. However that wasn't what was said about our recruiting problems when Allen left. It was just about how hard it is to recruit at Tulane.

As for DP he is a good coach. All agree on that. However he didn't recruit well here and he and his staff just threw there hands up on the difficulties of it. The question is would he have made a Regional with what he left behind. People can scream all they want that we would have but we'll never know.
You are right with one thing: We will never know. But the fact remains: Pierce took the Green Wave Baseball team to the only NCAA tournament appearances they've had in 10 years the two years he was here. Pierce has never missed the NCAA tournament as a HC.