Corey Merrill

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
chain gang x man
Swell

Corey is undergoing Tommy John surgery
Last year he pitched the last half of the season with a sore arm. In fact he struck out 10 hitters twice while experiencing pain
Good luck Corey. Wishing you a speedy recovery

winwave
Top of the WAVE

Sorry to hear that. I hope it works out well for him.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

That's too bad that the Dodgers organization didn't realize the severity sooner (or perhaps continuing to pitch drove the injury to the point where it needed Tommy John surgery?) At this point he's done for the year, and possibly into next season.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
chain gang x man
Swell

DfromCT wrote:That's too bad that the Dodgers organization didn't realize the severity sooner (or perhaps continuing to pitch drove the injury to the point where it needed Tommy John surgery?) At this point he's done for the year, and possibly into next season.
The Dodgers shut Corey down last year as soon as he was drafted and he reported to Glendale, Az to rehab in January
He hasn't pitched for the Dodgers
He should have been shut down in the middle of last year but he is such a competitor he wanted to keep pitching to help the team
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

chain gang x man wrote:
DfromCT wrote:That's too bad that the Dodgers organization didn't realize the severity sooner (or perhaps continuing to pitch drove the injury to the point where it needed Tommy John surgery?) At this point he's done for the year, and possibly into next season.
The Dodgers shut Corey down last year as soon as he was drafted and he reported to Glendale, Az to rehab in January
He should have been shut down in the middle of last year but he is such a competitor he wanted to keep pitching to help the team
I didn't say he pitched for the Dodgers, but for the Dodgers organization. Did he not pitch at all and that's the point you were trying to make? I'm confused, chain gang.

I was trying to say that a lot of pitchers avoid TJ surgery by talking their way out of it and changing their pitching styles. There have been organizations that threatened to cut the player if he refused surgery. For some pitchers, like Tanaka for the Yankees, it works (though he's nothing like he was when he was healthy.) For others, it's a disaster, and results in more severe surgery with longer recovery time. I've seen players, particularly college position players, rushed back WAY too soon. It's a long recovery process, which is why most want to avoid the procedure to begin with.
chain gang x man
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
chain gang x man wrote:
I didn't say he pitched for the Dodgers, but for the Dodgers organization. Did he not pitch at all and that's the point you were trying to make? I'm confused, chain gang.

I was trying to say that a lot of pitchers avoid TJ surgery by talking their way out of it and changing their pitching styles. There have been organizations that threatened to cut the player if he refused surgery. For some pitchers, like Tanaka for the Yankees, it works (though he's nothing like he was when he was healthy.) For others, it's a disaster, and results in more severe surgery with longer recovery time. I've seen players, particularly college position players, rushed back WAY too soon. It's a long recovery process, which is why most want to avoid the procedure to begin with.
Sorry for the confusion
Corey reported to the Dodgers rookie camp last year. That’s where he was shut down. He had a tired arm from the number of innings he pitched. It was hoped rest would prevent him from having the surgery. He reported early this year to begin rehab ( along with Rob Segedin), but it was determined surgery was necessary
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

So he hasn't thrown in-game pitches with the Dodgers organization, if I understand you correctly. I wonder if he's getting paid? I couldn't find any information on his contract status, but didn't spend too much time looking.
Houma de Wave
Swell

Surgery went well. He had it performed in Arizona. Plans to be pitching next year.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Congrats to Corey he was selected to the All Star team.
Pioneer league vs Northwest league
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

What a night for Corey. 7K’s in 3 innings including two innings in which he struck out the sides in Game 1 of the championship.
Corey entered the game with bases loaded down 3-1 and strikes out the side! Big momentum shift at their park
Video highlights in the link
https://www.milb.com/milb/news/ogden-ra ... -310723062
By Dan Stokes / MiLB.com | September 14, 2019 1:44 AM

Corey Merrill had never thrown more than two full innings during his first professional season after undergoing Tommy John surgery. He had a career night in a big spot for Ogden on Friday night.

The Dodgers prospect struck out seven over three innings of hitless relief as the Raptors beat Idaho Falls, 5-3, in Game 1 of the best-of-3 Pioneer League Championship series at Malecula Field.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Thanks for the link. Happy for him.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:15 am Thanks for the link. Happy for him.
Same here. Great kid, great family.
The video of him pitching is impressive. I’ve never seen him throw so hard. He’s finally healthy. Wouldn’t be at all surprised to see him in the show one day.
Tulane Class of 1981