Melvin Frazier drafted 2nd Rd, 5th pick (35th overall)

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
wavemania
Surge

so Mel is banking on one of the top 5 teams in the NBA to hopefully pick him in the 1st rd. If they don't, what then? Don't trust a few nimrods just cuz they saw one or 2 highlights of you making a great play. Not only that, but most underclassmen haven't announced if they are coming out. Get about 7 or 8 younger guyswho carried their tems to the NCAA tournament declare, and his stock drops quickly. If he was such a top prize, his ass would have carried Tulane to many more wins and a tournamnet birth

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

wavemania wrote:so Mel is banking on one of the top 5 teams in the NBA to hopefully pick him in the 1st rd. If they don't, what then? Don't trust a few nimrods just cuz they saw one or 2 highlights of you making a great play. Not only that, but most underclassmen haven't announced if they are coming out. Get about 7 or 8 younger guyswho carried their tems to the NCAA tournament declare, and his stock drops quickly. If he was such a top prize, his ass would have carried Tulane to many more wins and a tournamnet birth
They draft on his upside potential many times. He’s not the type of player to carry a team. He a piece of the puzzle. He has all the skills necessary to play on the next level and that’s what the scouts look at. This is an example in another sport : Many HS pitchers are drafted in the 1st round because of upside potential. Doesn’t matter what the record is or if he can carry his team. If he can throw in the mid 90’s and is left handed that’s all that matters in many cases. Personally I think Melvin is gone so I hope he gets picked in the 1st round because it will give Dunleavy something to sell to the next recruit.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I think he's gone, too. I just don't know that he'll have a meaningful NBA career. Potential lasts one or two years in the D league, then it's off to play overseas, and maybe a shot a couple years down the line. NBA scouts ratings and "expert" mock drafts are two different animals.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Profoundwizard
Swell

wavemania wrote:so Mel is banking on one of the top 5 teams in the NBA to hopefully pick him in the 1st rd. If they don't, what then? Don't trust a few nimrods just cuz they saw one or 2 highlights of you making a great play. Not only that, but most underclassmen haven't announced if they are coming out. Get about 7 or 8 younger guyswho carried their tems to the NCAA tournament declare, and his stock drops quickly. If he was such a top prize, his ass would have carried Tulane to many more wins and a tournamnet birth
Ben Simmons was the 1st pick in the draft. Didn’t carry his team to the tournament
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Profoundwizard wrote:
Ben Simmons was the 1st pick in the draft. Didn’t carry his team to the tournament
Yes, but Simmons was the best player on the court pretty much every game he played in his one year of college.
Show Me
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:
Yes, but Simmons was the best player on the court pretty much every game he played in his one year of college.
Frazier was the best defensive player on the court pretty much every game he played in this past season.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Frazier rated No. 1 here :mrgreen:
phpBB [video]
Tulane Class of 1981
Ruski
Swell

If Frazier gets anywhere near #1, even if that’s just getting drafted in the first round then Tulane needs to spend 50/100k to put fatheads of Frazier in every single high school and AAU gym in the gulf coast!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Ruski wrote:If Frazier gets anywhere near #1, even if that’s just getting drafted in the first round then Tulane needs to spend 50/100k to put fatheads of Frazier in every single high school and AAU gym in the gulf coast!
No 1 best kept secret in the draft.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Ruski wrote:If Frazier gets anywhere near #1, even if that’s just getting drafted in the first round then Tulane needs to spend 50/100k to put fatheads of Frazier in every single high school and AAU gym in the gulf coast!
The tomahawk dunk versus Carolina (if I'm not mistaken) is the biggest reason he's getting the publicity and mock draft attention. I agree, and think Fatheads should create a Melvin Frazier with a frame from that admittedly amazing dunk.

That being said, I still don't think he's ready for the NBA, or that the NBA has a place for him other than their developmental league.

STAY, MELVIN, STAY!
GreenLantern
Riptide

Melvin declares for the draft but leaves the door open to return to school by not hiring an agent.
http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... azier.html
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

GreenLantern wrote:Melvin declares for the draft but leaves the door open to return to school by not hiring an agent.
That's the right way for him to handle this. IF he gets drafted in the first round, I'm sure Coach Dunleavy has good recommendations for an agent he can trust. If he's not in the first round, it may make sense for him to come back and raise his draft value, which could result in millions more over the first 3 or 4 years of his career. Of course, it may not work out, either way. Life is short on guarantees.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

GreenLantern wrote:Melvin declares for the draft but leaves the door open to return to school by not hiring an agent.
Leveraging school to get more money.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

This isn't like the baseball draft where they have a ton of rounds. I also believe he'll have to pull his name out at some point if he wants to come back. Otherwise he gets drafted and doesn't have any leverage.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Melvin moves up to #14 in the lastest ESPN Mock
https://www.seccountry.com/sec/nba-mock ... t-march-26
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

So in one mock you posted ( and have since deleted) he was projected as the last pick in the second round and this one says he goes #14 in the first. Wide disparity.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:So in one mock you posted ( and have since deleted) he was projected as the last pick in the second round and this one says he goes #14 in the first. Wide disparity.
Yes. Trying to stay with ESPN because I started with that one. That was another Mock that he wasn’t listed before. So him being listed now is actually good. Everyone has a mock draft these days. At least ESPN is somewhat credible and he keeps moving up.
The higher he goes the better for Tulane.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

No doubt if he stays in the draft the higher he goes is better for him and Tulane. It will be interesting once the scouts weigh in. Good luck to him.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I don't want to start a new thread, but I would put the under/over for where Melvin gets picked at #30. Who wants the under? Who wants the over?

I'm taking the over, but wouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong. Then again, I wouldn't be shocked if he's not drafted, either.
wavemania
Surge

when some of the underclassmen that were playing in the NCAA tournament declare, Frazier's stock will drop. Most of the ones who declare will have carried their team. That is somethnig Mel hadn't done.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote:
That's the right way for him to handle this. IF he gets drafted in the first round, I'm sure Coach Dunleavy has good recommendations for an agent he can trust. If he's not in the first round, it may make sense for him to come back and raise his draft value, which could result in millions more over the first 3 or 4 years of his career. Of course, it may not work out, either way. Life is short on guarantees.
I guess the NCAA has changed the rules over the years, and to maintain eligibility it seems you have to opt out of the draft 3 or 4 weeks prior to the draft. That seems like a change for the worse, or another NCAA screw up.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I believe it's always been that way. That's how it's been with football since they could declare after their third year.