Melvin Frazier drafted 2nd Rd, 5th pick (35th overall)

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

ESPN’s most current NBA mock draft has Melvin Frazier going late in the first round. Moved up from 2nd round.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
GreenLantern
Riptide

He gone. :(
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

On the plus side, his story is a tremendous recruiting trail asset.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:On the plus side, his story is a tremendous recruiting trail asset.
Yep. Dunleavy can now say he had one of his Tulane players go in the 1st round should he overcome his injury and stay healthy.
Tulane Class of 1981
Jaxwave
Swell

Boy, I’m an old guy in my sixties and it would shock the heck out of me to see a player his size without a jump shot go in round one. I know the stats show he has improved as a shooter but he has to be wide open to shoot decently which he is against bad defenses. His stats sort of remind me of Tim Tebow’s passing stats in college where he was a 67% passer.
Look he’s got great leaping ability, plays tough D, and is quick as a cat so maybe those pro coaches figure he can be taught to be a better shooter. I just don’t see it.
Profoundwizard
Swell

Jaxwave wrote:Boy, I’m an old guy in my sixties and it would shock the heck out of me to see a player his size without a jump shot go in round one. I know the stats show he has improved as a shooter but he has to be wide open to shoot decently which he is against bad defenses. His stats sort of remind me of Tim Tebow’s passing stats in college where he was a 67% passer.
Look he’s got great leaping ability, plays tough D, and is quick as a cat so maybe those pro coaches figure he can be taught to be a better shooter. I just don’t see it.
Of course he can become a better shooter. He’s probably a better 3pt shooter right now than Kawhi Leonard was when he got drafted.
He’s certainly a better shooter than Andre Roberson. Frazier is really good on defense, so even if he doesn’t become a much better shooter he has a chance.
Houma de Wave
Swell

Had you told me at the beginning of the season that Frazier would be gone next season, I would have said “Here we go again.” These last 2 games have proven that MD gets his kids to step it up. Like everyone, I’d like to have Frazier next season, but if he goes, I’ll be proud of his accomplishment.

We just need to stock up on players (not projects) and move forward. I believe we have the right coach for that.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Houma de Wave wrote:Had you told me at the beginning of the season that Frazier would be gone next season, I would have said “Here we go again.” These last 2 games have proven that MD gets his kids to step it up. Like everyone, I’d like to have Frazier next season, but if he goes, I’ll be proud of his accomplishment.

We just need to stock up on players (not projects) and move forward. I believe we have the right coach for that.
IF Frazier has bought into Dunleavy, (and he should have because Dunleavy has gotten him to this point) Frazier will listen to Dunleavy's advice about whether or not he's ready for the NBA. And I think Dunleavy would be honest with him, either way.
Houma de Wave
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
Houma de Wave wrote:Had you told me at the beginning of the season that Frazier would be gone next season, I would have said “Here we go again.” These last 2 games have proven that MD gets his kids to step it up. Like everyone, I’d like to have Frazier next season, but if he goes, I’ll be proud of his accomplishment.

IF Frazier has bought into Dunleavy, (and he should have because Dunleavy has gotten him to this point) Frazier will listen to Dunleavy's advice about whether or not he's ready for the NBA. And I think Dunleavy would be honest with him, either way.

Can’t agree more on this.
IM42lane
Swell

Jaxwave wrote: Boy, I’m an old guy in my sixties and it would shock the heck out of me to see a player his size without a jump shot go in round one. I know the stats show he has improved as a shooter but he has to be wide open to shoot decently which he is against bad defenses. His stats sort of remind me of Tim Tebow’s passing stats in college where he was a 67% passer.

Look he’s got great leaping ability, plays tough D, and is quick as a cat so maybe those pro coaches figure he can be taught to be a better shooter.

I just don’t see it
Neither do I, my old classmate.
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
Jaxwave
Swell

Hope we’re both wrong, Pete.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

If he’s 1st round he’s going to go. Why risk an injury coming back?
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:If he’s 1st round he’s going to go. Why risk an injury coming back?
This. If he's definitely 1st round, he's gone. If not, he'll probably come back. There's a huge difference in the NBA in being a 1st or 2nd rounder. And if he's the leader of a breakout Green Wave season next year, it'll help his stock even more.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:If he’s 1st round he’s going to go. Why risk an injury coming back?
This. If he's definitely 1st round, he's gone. If not, he'll probably come back. There's a huge difference in the NBA in being a 1st or 2nd rounder. And if he's the leader of a breakout Green Wave season next year, it'll help his stock even more.
Here’s the 1st round salary scale:
If he’s the last pick in the 1st round he’ll get $4.1 million minimum for 3 years.
https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/info/rookie_scale

The biggest difference between 1st and 2nd round is the contracts are shorter and typically only include one or two years of guaranteed money.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:
And he can buy insurance against a career threatening injury, I believe. At the same time, if he knows he'll be among the top 30 picks, he's gone. Too hard to turn away from the money. Even if he's the last pick in the first round, he's bound to sign a deal for roughly $1.75 to $2 million a year.

But again, there's no guarantee he gets picked in the first round. If he's smart and declares, he doesn't sign an agent until after he's drafted, leaving the door open to return. I'm not sure if the rules are still that way, but in the past the players had that option. Once they signed an agent, it disappeared.
puffy
Surge

It's been 20 years since a Tulane basketball player had any sort of draft buzz. Jerald Honeycutt would've been a surefire lottery pick today being a stretch 4 that can shoot 3s. He would've been a 1-and-done player.

Frazier should do well in predraft camps and individual workouts. He's a great athlete, can defend 3 positions, finish at the rim and make open 3s. That's pretty much the modern NBA wing these days.

As much as I would like for him to be the lead guy on the team next season, the long term benefits of Tulane having a player drafted anywhere in the first round may be greater.
swampnik
Surge

puffy wrote:It's been 20 years since a Tulane basketball player had any sort of draft buzz. Jerald Honeycutt would've been a surefire lottery pick today being a stretch 4 that can shoot 3s. He would've been a 1-and-done player.

Frazier should do well in predraft camps and individual workouts. He's a great athlete, can defend 3 positions, finish at the rim and make open 3s. That's pretty much the modern NBA wing these days.

As much as I would like for him to be the lead guy on the team next season, the long term benefits of Tulane having a player drafted anywhere in the first round may be greater.

Good positive point here for Tulane goiong forward.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
Jaxwave
Swell

puffy wrote:It's been 20 years since a Tulane basketball player had any sort of draft buzz. Jerald Honeycutt would've been a surefire lottery pick today being a stretch 4 that can shoot 3s. He would've been a 1-and-done player.

Excellent observation, Puff.
IM42lane
Swell

Jaxwave wrote:

Frazier needs another year of development. I still do not see how he is a first round NBA draft pick. He needs to get stronger before he can run in the NBA.
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

IM42lane wrote:
Jaxwave wrote:

Frazier needs another year of development. I still do not see how he is a first round NBA draft pick. He needs to get stronger before he can run in the NBA.
You can see he’s still playing hurt. He looks like he has a flak jacket under his jersey. He’s risking injury should he stay one more year. He’ll continue to develop on whatever level he’s at. If he’s picked in round 1 as currently projected he’ll go. I’m not sure if he’s slipping because of his injury. Only time will tell.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:Going to Atlanta 1st Round.
https://www.seccountry.com/sec/nba-mock ... draft-2-12
Actually, there's 3 different mock drafts in that article, and only one has Frazier in the first round. If he's not a clear first rounder, he needs to come back.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Going to Atlanta 1st Round.
https://www.seccountry.com/sec/nba-mock ... draft-2-12
Actually, there's 3 different mock drafts in that article, and only one has Frazier in the first round. If he's not a clear first rounder, he needs to come back.
Yes. But here’s the inside on what Scouts love about him:
Melvin Frazier is a stud. 6-6 wing with a 7-2 wingspan, 43 inch vert, Kawhi sized hands. Top-15 in America in steals. 60% FG/40% 3s on 17/5/3 for the season. Always guarding the opposition’s best player, 1-5. Never asks for the ball. Insane optics.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I'm no expert. But it seems to me he got hurt on a clean play by a player that's not as big as most NBA players, fighting through a pick. Another year of growth and filling out his body to his frame would do him well. As I've said elsewhere in this thread, I think the smart route would be to NOT sign an agent until after the draft, if he goes in the first round.
IM42lane
Swell

DfromCT wrote: I'm no expert. But it seems to me he got hurt on a clean play by a player that's not as big as most NBA players , fighting through a pick. Another year of growth and filling out his body to his frame would do him well .
As I've said elsewhere in this thread, I think the smart route would be to NOT sign an agent until after the draft, if he goes in the first round.
Thank you for pointing that out. Frazier needs another year to get stronger . There are BIG/HUGE bodies that run in the NBA. Frazier needs to CAREFULLY put on at least another 15-20 pounds of muscle before his body can withstand the pounding that goes on in the pros.
Regards,
"Pete" Madere